PDA

View Full Version : Premier or 1st Division – Who knows?

Roo69
16/02/2010, 10:51 AM
Right, so we know everything is being done to let Cork get away with breaking the rules, they keep being given life lines one after another, BUT, there is still a chance that we will be playing Premier Division football next season if the FAI do what they are supposed to do according to their own rules.

At present we have a squad that IMO will hold their own in the 1st division, it is a very young squad but we will compete. I don’t think we have the experience top win the 1st division but as I said we will compete. Now, IF we do get a place back in the Premier, with the squad we have at present there is no way in hell that we will even compete, we just do not have the experience in the squad. That is not taking anything away from the squad or having ago at any of them but you just need players who have been there and done it all before to be able to compete to a certain level.

The way it stands at present is that we don’t have the funds to spend on bringing in these experienced players for the 1st division, our away gates will probably drop between 50-70% I’d reckon, if not more. If we do get a place in the Premier we will have this extra funding available to bring in a few experienced players, problem is that we will only find out on Monday which division we are playing in. The even bigger problem is that the transfer window shuts on Monday.

Once the transfer window shuts, I presume can we still sign players who are not attached to any club?

tippex
16/02/2010, 10:59 AM
My understanding of the transfer windows are that a club is free to sign any unattached player ouotside of the transfer window so we may be ok on that point.

Roo69
16/02/2010, 1:54 PM
Is there an updated list of unattached players? the PFAI web site is useless

The Fox
16/02/2010, 7:31 PM
The situation is a disgrace and seems to be leaving a sour taste right accross the country. Cobh are annoyed because they werent even allowed to be in the 1st division last year, Derry have a right to be annoyed also - they were swiftly dispatched to division 1 a few months ago. Drogheda were told to readjust their budget, Shelborne and Dundalk have also felt the heavy hand of the FAI in recent years. They have missed deadline after deadline - they shoulod at least be demoted to Division 1.

People have said it will be the deathknell for the LOI if their isnt reoginal representation - Well big regional clubs have been in division 1 before - Galway, Sligo, Dundalk, Waterford and the League didnt become less interesting. Big Dublin clubs Shels and Rovers have or are doing stints in Division 1 aswell.

Relegate them and put an end to this soap opera - its EMBARESSING!!!!!!!!!!!

Roo69
17/02/2010, 8:48 AM
Another massive factor in all of this is that because at present we are in the 1st Division, we will not be entering a team in the A Championship due to costs. If we do get a place in the Premier, were in the name of hell are we going to get a squad together in time before the transfer window closes?

Do they even think of things like this when making decisions? Silly of me to ask actually