PDA

View Full Version : Willie O Dea: Proven Liar

Pages : [1] 2

Mr A
16/02/2010, 10:26 AM
He lied to the High Court- and only stopped when it was proven he was doing so. See here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0216/1224264551590.html

At this stage we pretty much expect there to be no standards applied to ministers- but in such a cut and dried case you really have to wonder how there can be anyone who does not see this as a major problem.

Much of what is wrong in Irish Politics in a nutshell I'm afraid.

osarusan
16/02/2010, 10:34 AM
But shur Willie's a great fella. Doesn't his own website tell you that.

http://truthisfree.baywords.com/files/2009/11/willie.jpg

eelmonster
16/02/2010, 11:11 AM
Look at the head on him. Could he look any more like a 1920s Anti-Treatyite?

bennocelt
16/02/2010, 11:21 AM
Look at the head on him. Could he look any more like a 1920s Anti-Treatyite?

Except he probably would be pro-treaty!

eelmonster
16/02/2010, 11:47 AM
Except he probably would be pro-treaty!

Why is that, Benno?

Mr A
16/02/2010, 2:46 PM
It's all cool with Biffo, obviously O Dea telling lies about a member of another party has nothing to do with his role as a minister.

O Dea is going to clarify things though. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0216/breaking54.html

Of course, the real explanation is almost certainly "I thought I'd get away with it". Wouldn't put too much on that being his version of events though :)

Mr A
16/02/2010, 8:11 PM
How can a polititian engaged in an election campaign, making comments about an opponent, be "acting in a personal capacity"? That was personal Willie, not politician Willie.

Best line since the 'mental reservation' trick used by clergy as revealed by the Murphy report.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0216/breaking54.html

Feck off Biffo.

Scram
16/02/2010, 8:31 PM
He lied to the High Court- and only stopped when it was proven he was doing so. See here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0216/1224264551590.html

At this stage we pretty much expect there to be no standards applied to ministers- but in such a cut and dried case you really have to wonder how there can be anyone who does not see this as a major problem.

Much of what is wrong in Irish Politics in a nutshell I'm afraid.

The Irish media have somehow managed to keep this of the front page for months. Absolute disgrace that this atrocious individual should be allowed remain as a public representative of any kind let alone a TD and senior cabinet minister. Only in Ireland and only in Fine Fáil and Fine Gael.

O’Dea admitted on the 21st December:

He was behind the organisation of a smear campaign against Councillor Maurice Quinlivan in Limerick.
He defamed Councillor Quinlivan

He then apologized
He paid damages and all costs in the matter to Quinlivan (well WE probaly did!)
He withdrew a sworn affidavit to the high court which he acknowledges was dishonest!!!

The High court judge who was misled in the original the case has an obligation to refer the case to the DPP.

Any decent opposition should demand his resignation NOW

What’s more likely is that Cowen promotes O'Dea.

dahamsta
16/02/2010, 8:38 PM
The liar's statement to the Dail.

http://vimeo.com/9501422

Scram
16/02/2010, 8:42 PM
Being shown on Prime Time now. Only a couple of years ago this clown was telling a woman to fcuk off in a Pub in Limerick while drinking with Cowen, he denied that too, as did Cowen. Disgraceful individual.

Scram
16/02/2010, 8:50 PM
Anybody good with Photoshop, could you do up a collage of

PinocchiO'Dea ??

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/0/C/clinton_pinnochio.jpg

drummerboy
17/02/2010, 7:48 AM
This saga reminds me so much of John B Keane’s fictious character Tull MacAdoo, TD, Minister of State. Dirty tricks and all that. Think he wrote that story in the late 70s. Some things never change in this country.

Mr A
17/02/2010, 7:53 AM
Brilliant response from O Dea. He basically accuses all those who said he did something wrong of being liars. And the worst part is that he will get away with it.

A Timeline on this sorry affair: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0217/1224264629602.html

Limerick Sinn F�in Cllr Maurice Quinlivan issued a press release criticising Mr O�Dea for using six civil servants in his department to do constituency work and for making unsolicited offers to assist applicants for planning permissions.

In response, Mr O�Dea, in an interview with the Limerick Chronicle , claimed that Mr Quinlivan was involved in some way in the operation of a brothel in an apartment at Clancy Strand in Limerick. �Do you know the brothel they found in his name and his brother�s name down in Clancy Strand?� he asked journalist Mike Dwane.

Fr Damo
17/02/2010, 9:01 AM
I cannot see how he can still hold office.

I'm probably stating the obvious here... but when you analise the caliber of this guy and his collegues such as Coughlan, (Battman, Coward, Dempsey and Makepeace) and the others we all love to laugh at is it any wonder Dell closed up in Limerick? Remind me, who did we send to Phoenix to ask Michael Dell to re consider? At a cost of about 70k If I remember - on the Gulf stream too i think.

OT? sorry.

dahamsta
17/02/2010, 9:32 AM
Don't forget Cullen, a man who has no talent other than politics itself. The man wouldn't last 5 minutes in the real world, he hasn't a clue.

Fr Damo
17/02/2010, 11:20 AM
Ah Cullen, always rolling out and going forward!

mypost
17/02/2010, 2:53 PM
I cannot see how he can still hold office.

I'm probably stating the obvious here... but when you analise the caliber of this guy and his collegues such as Coughlan, (Battman, Coward, Dempsey and Makepeace) and the others we all love to laugh at is it any wonder Dell closed up in Limerick? Remind me, who did we send to Phoenix to ask Michael Dell to re consider? At a cost of about 70k If I remember - on the Gulf stream too i think.

OT? sorry.

Motion just commenced in the Dail with Cowen firing bullets at the opposition, and calling the lie a "mistake", amongst other things.

Mr A
17/02/2010, 8:12 PM
Dan Boyle seems to have broken ranks and said O Dea behaved badly and should resign. He wasn't at the vote and says this issue is likely to keep running. This from RTE news at 9.

Linky: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0217/odeaw.html

dahamsta
17/02/2010, 9:04 PM
Dan Boyle is playing the rebel at the moment, he's not worth paying attention to.

mypost
17/02/2010, 10:15 PM
Dan Boyle seems to have broken ranks and said O Dea behaved badly and should resign. He wasn't at the vote and says this issue is likely to keep running.

It won't. FF won the vote, so that's the end of it now. Nothing, no matter how serious, is a resigning issue as far as this government is concerned.

Makes you respect Bobby Molloy more, who walked the moment he was connected to scandal. That wasn't yesterday.

the 12 th man
18/02/2010, 2:26 AM
Motion just commenced in the Dail with Cowen firing bullets at the opposition, and calling the lie a "mistake", amongst other things.

Don't you know politicians never lie,they only make "mistakes",imagine Joe Public trying that on in a court case,they'd be laughed out of court.

Macy
18/02/2010, 8:31 AM
Dan Boyle seems to have broken ranks and said O Dea behaved badly and should resign. He wasn't at the vote and says this issue is likely to keep running.
Not the first time the Greens have used their senators to speak out of both sides of their mouth. Him and De Burca actually voted against the Government on one bill, once they new FG were supporting it obviously. Another trick picked up from FF - Dan Boyle is the Greens Matty McGrath.

imagine Joe Public trying that on in a court case,they'd be laughed out of court.
Laughed out of court? Probably facing a charge more like...

On the radio this morning he only said it in the first place because the cops gave him wrong info - wtf was he doing asking the cops for information about a political rival? And more importantly, why were the cops supplying it.

Mr A
18/02/2010, 9:37 AM
Another Green speaks out: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0218/1224264713504.html

He's absolutely spot on in what he says.

John83
18/02/2010, 11:02 AM
There's not a scrap of accountability in politics here. It's depressing.

I was hoping for a an entertaining Wookie defence. Instead, we get the usual downplaying of any suggestion of wrongdoing. God forbid we actually give a damn what our TDs do.

Mr A
18/02/2010, 11:25 AM
Another disturbing aspect of this is that from looking at the Indo's website you'd barely know this controversy was happening... why is that?

OneRedArmy
18/02/2010, 11:51 AM
Dan Boyle is playing the rebel at the moment, he's not worth paying attention to.My understanding is that he Tweeted or Facebooked his "opinion" after the vote. How brave of him.

Empty vessels etc....

Macy
18/02/2010, 1:00 PM
My understanding is that he Tweeted or Facebooked his "opinion" after the vote. How brave of him.
We'll see whether he walks the walk, as haven't the blueshirts moved a Seanad motion of no confidence?

drummerboy
18/02/2010, 1:12 PM
He sounded like a troubled man on the RTE news at lunchtime. The pressure is starting to really build. Cowan could cut him loose.

What bothers me is this is taking the heat of Coughlan, and her refusal to nudge Aer Lingus to do the right thing and vacate Hanger 6. I don't like O'Leary, but 300 decent jobs is worth the discomfort.

dahamsta
18/02/2010, 3:37 PM
Aer Lingus argue that they can't vacate Hanger 6 as it's the only place available for maintenance of their wide body jets. What's wrong with their argument I wonder?

Mr A
18/02/2010, 5:29 PM
Looks like he isn't going to survive this controversy.

Maybe there is hope for this republic yet.

Fr Damo
18/02/2010, 7:47 PM
He sounded like a troubled man on the RTE news at lunchtime. The pressure is starting to really build. Cowan could cut him loose.

What bothers me is this is taking the heat of Coughlan, and her refusal to nudge Aer Lingus to do the right thing and vacate Hanger 6. I don't like O'Leary, but 300 decent jobs is worth the discomfort.

You're 100% correct drummerboy, she's getting of lighly on this one. she said she offered O Leary a site in Shannon, large car park, New building etc close to the Apron and no body in the media asked her how that would help the 1000 odd skilled techs in and around Fingal!

O leary isn't exactly whiter than white but he he says he will deliver 300 jobs he will deliver 300 jobs... Even the beards say this deal should be done. Personally I would take a chance on him and besides even if Ryanair get a stronger position what harm if it's jobs that pay PRSI andPAYE in this jurastiction?

Arelingus cliaming they need hanger 6 for their wide bodied aircrft doesn't hold when you consider they are reducing capacity on their long haul routes. Think they only have three or four anyway, having sold off a vew last year. The vast majority of the fleet are A321s or similar. (i.e 150 - 180 seats) and are short haul (narrow body)

dahamsta
18/02/2010, 8:51 PM
So, they still have wide body jets. Why should they give up the hanger just so a competitor can use it? Ryanair ain't the only employer, and they certainly ain't a good employer.

Scram
18/02/2010, 9:09 PM
Another disturbing aspect of this is that from looking at the Indo's website you'd barely know this controversy was happening... why is that?

Why indeed. The Sindo rag and the preposterous Eoghan Harris responsible for getting Bertie back in to power. Anyone who buys any INM rag should be ashamed. Harris was on Newstall today ranting about Shinners and the armed conflict! in DEFENCE of O'Dea!! This obnoxious fool is costing us 100's of thousands as a Senator thanks to Bertie.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO O'DEA BUT The Senate MUST be closed.

weecountyman
18/02/2010, 10:02 PM
Why indeed. The Sindo rag and the preposterous Eoghan Harris responsible for getting Bertie back in to power. Anyone who buys any INM rag should be ashamed. Harris was on Newstall today ranting about Shinners and the armed conflict! in DEFENCE of O'Dea!! This obnoxious fool is costing us 100's of thousands as a Senator thanks to Bertie.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO O'DEA BUT The Senate MUST be closed.

You've hit it scram, Mr A asked, why are the Indo not covering big Willie in the depth he deserves. Back before the last election big Willie had a couple of articles where he openly described SF as SF/IRA, that many of their "men" were former criminals and that unless the state suddenly became a criminal enteprise they wouldn't be fit to run it - this from a man whose party merrily danced us over the cliff with chronic and persistent cronyism.

O'Dea has behaved in a disgraceful manner and it is hard to separate him from his nob nation character. He's a caricature of a politician.

oscar
18/02/2010, 10:22 PM
the limerick leader released the tape of the interview today,they played some of it on the local radio station 95fm,willie was singing like a canary,ha ha its on the news now,good man willie

Dodge
18/02/2010, 11:06 PM
You've hit it scram, Mr A asked, why are the Indo not covering big Willie in the depth he deserves. Back before the last election big Willie had a couple of articles where he openly described SF as SF/IRA, that many of their "men" were former criminals and that unless the state suddenly became a criminal enteprise they wouldn't be fit to run it -

So you're saying that not everything he said was false

old git
18/02/2010, 11:27 PM

the same goverment that let 1800 + decent jobs go in dell limerick and media / opposition etc did not make much of a major issue about it ...

dahamsta
18/02/2010, 11:59 PM
I've never understood the "close the senate" rhetoric. Reform, yes; but close it, really? Ye really want the idiots in the Dail and the Government's buddy up the Aras to be the be-all and end-all of Irish politics? Because the quality of their legislation has been so good in recent years, presumably...

Dodge
19/02/2010, 12:55 AM
I've never understood the "close the senate" rhetoric. Reform, yes; but close it, really? Ye really want the idiots in the Dail and the Government's buddy up the Aras to be the be-all and end-all of Irish politics? Because the quality of their legislation has been so good in recent years, presumably...

But the idiots in the senate aren't even good enough to displace those in the Dail. its still a buddy system

The Seanad has never once overturned a Dail bill. What would be your idea of reform?

weecountyman
19/02/2010, 6:10 AM
But the idiots in the senate aren't even good enough to displace those in the Dail. its still a buddy system

The Seanad has never once overturned a Dail bill. What would be your idea of reform?

One simple thing, senators are elected by the people, not placed in there for their "goodwill" to parties. If they were a proper and confident body elected the same as TD's there might be some actual progress made. The elections could take place at the same time as Dail elections.

kingcorner
19/02/2010, 7:21 AM
At least he resigned. He didnt have much of a choice but I couldnt imagine many of them resigning no matter what they have done.

Some of the planks in government will have to be dragged kicking and screaming even if they go on a shooting spree in the dail.

Macy
19/02/2010, 7:36 AM
Get rid of the Taoiseach's nominee's. Of which Harris, the man who rants and raves about public sector waste and wages despite claiming his salary and supports without being elected, is one.

weecountyman
19/02/2010, 7:37 AM
So you're saying that not everything he said was false

What? Or rather pardon?

Dodge
19/02/2010, 7:46 AM
What? Or rather pardon?

OK, seeing as you're having trouble.

O'Dea said that SF people were in the IRA. This is factually correct

Fr Damo
19/02/2010, 8:09 AM
So, they still have wide body jets. Why should they give up the hanger just so a competitor can use it? Ryanair ain't the only employer, and they certainly ain't a good employer.

O leary says he wants it cos he can get 6 narrow body aircraft in at a time, therefore increasing effeceincy. Aerlingus operate 3 or 4 "wide" bodied and these are overhauled one at a time therefore leaving excess capacity within the hanger. As I understand it, other hangers can accomadate the A330s and then there is always Shannon!

Anybody I heard this week from SRT said they would work for O leary. (I agree it'd no contest verses the dole) but what makes ryanair not a good employeer?
Ask the pilots Aerlingus let go after 9-11 who then join O leary to fly 18 hours a week instead of 10, ask the cabin crew let go by flag carriers all over Europe in the last 24 months.

Macy
19/02/2010, 8:22 AM
but what makes ryanair not a good employeer?
For a start, most of "their" staff are agency staff subcontracted to Ryanair. That includes pilots and cabin crew. If you haven't heard about the issues, you obviously haven't been paying attention to a number of investigations that have been done on Ryanair in recent years. Still, once you can get cheap flights, who cares how the staff are treated?

When SRT vacated, the hanger was available to any party. That great businessman missed the opportunity, either in timing or his refusal to deal with certain bodies, and he's now trying to bully his way in. Still doesn't excuse the Government not meeting him to discuss it though.

osarusan
19/02/2010, 8:48 AM
The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the coffee's strong, and O'Dea's resigned. A good day in Limerick.

Mr A
19/02/2010, 9:04 AM
This image in the IT made me laugh out loud.

http://www.irishtimes.com/homepage/images/1224264820928.jpg?ts=1266573611

Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio.

The hilarious part is that SF are so easy to attack without making crap up.

Fr Damo
19/02/2010, 9:07 AM
For a start, most of "their" staff are agency staff subcontracted to Ryanair. That includes pilots and cabin crew. If you haven't heard about the issues, you obviously haven't been paying attention to a number of investigations that have been done on Ryanair in recent years. Still, once you can get cheap flights, who cares how the staff are treated?

When SRT vacated, the hanger was available to any party. That great businessman missed the opportunity, either in timing or his refusal to deal with certain bodies, and he's now trying to bully his way in. Still doesn't excuse the Government not meeting him to discuss it though.

Undercover investigations that had a sprinkling of sensationalism attached? Unnamed Pilots saying they attempt to land rather than diverting? Ecessive hours? Cabin crew talking about hours without breaks? What investigations have been proven to be breeches on employment contract or worse still FAA breeches Macy?
Ryanair are possibly the safest airline you could ever hope to fly in because if there was ever a fatal crash they are finished. Their safety record speak for it's self and the odd story about over runs and skids are simply down to the exordinary number of flights the airline carries out per year.
I agree O Leary does nothing unless it benifits Ryanair but surley we should be negotiating with him properly. I think the empass proves the ineptidude in the Tainiste's ability and that's the fundamental point. She knew she would get "riden" by him.

Fr Damo
19/02/2010, 9:11 AM
The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the coffee's strong, and O'Dea's resigned. A good day in Limerick.

So I believe. There is a resounding opinion this guy did nothing but provide Bertie and later Cowan a scapegoate for tough questions (always on Question & Ans) and didn't deliver in Limerick. Shannon and Dell two high profile cases. Atypical of what FF stand for, all mouth and moustache and no 28" leg trousers.