PDA

View Full Version : City player of the season so far....

pete
22/10/2001, 11:24 AM
2nd attempt. Ooops.

pete
22/10/2001, 12:59 PM
Was going to give to Carey as could tell how much city missed him at the start of the season,

However has to go to O'Grady for consistent displays week in week out. Pity he isn't more creative but i'm been picky aren't i. Could see how p***ed off he was with the late goal on saturday. Seems to take every defeat personal which is great to see.

James
22/10/2001, 1:53 PM
from what I've seen Conor O grady has impressed me most, followed by Carey and Devine, and the work rate of Jimmy the gnome

A face
22/10/2001, 2:47 PM
Carey, Devine, i voted for O'Grady, Jimmy ..... They are the ones that standout, would love if the whole team gave that much effort, i suppose it is hard to keep a job at the same time though. We can't just start throwing knives. the Four Amigos anyhoo !!:D

Snatch
22/10/2001, 4:37 PM
For me it was down to 3 - Carey, Horgan or Cahill. Jimmy Mull would have contended if he didn't get injured. O'Grady is a great competitor but seriously lacks creative skills.
I decided on Ollie because despite the slack he got last last month hat trick hero Ollie turned things around and has been our most threathening player again this season.

Without Ollie, City would be very ordinary to say the least.

Neil
22/10/2001, 5:17 PM
Mulligan

James
22/10/2001, 5:31 PM
Originally posted by Snatch
I decided on Ollie because despite the slack he got last last month hat trick hero Ollie turned things around and has been our most threathening player again this season.

Without Ollie, City would be very ordinary to say the least.

without Ollie city players might show some heart, and the level of whinging would be almost completely cut out altogether. Snatch you seem very selective in the games you remember about Ollie, the whole idea of the player of the year so far is to find the player most consistent so far this year not the one who shows flashes of genius if and when he feels like it.

Conor O Grady
Alan Carey
Jimmy Mulligan
Micheal Devine

look no further, and except nothing less

Gary
22/10/2001, 5:42 PM
Carey by a mile. His running, passing and general all round play have been outstanding. A goal or two and he would be the perfect full back.

Neil
22/10/2001, 5:48 PM
I do not understand how Ollie Cahill has more votes right now than Devine, Mulligan and Bennett.

pete
22/10/2001, 5:49 PM
I seem to be defending everyone these days but anyways.........

IMO Ollie suffers too much & people selectively remember the bad performances.

Take for example when we used to play 2 wingers with Colin (the original) on the right. Ollie gets the ball in his own half & is expected to take on & pass half the rest of the team, mean while Colin stays out on the right minus the defender Ollie dragged across. If Ollie lays the ball off doesn't try to take his man on we moan.

It shows how much we depend on Ollie as when he has a good game the team plays well & usually wins.

I'd much prefer a team with Ollie than without him!

BTW reason I gave to O'Grady is cos central midfield is a more demanding position than fullback. I still think Carey is best fullback in the league already though!

SÓC
22/10/2001, 5:49 PM
Carey, the very best city player so far this season. He has been ureal. O'Grady has been very good too but Carey has just excelled

James
22/10/2001, 5:57 PM
yea but rebel there were too too many games so far this year when it just looked like Ollie idnt give a chit. he wasnt looking for the ball or attacking his man, just drifting in and out of games.

Of course we are a much better team with an on form Ollie, but the half hearted effort he gave for the first 10 or so games with one or 2 exceptions isnt good enough.

I'm also still a bit ****ed off with his comments in the sunday people where he gave out about city supporters, while he never acknowledges us at away games!

pete
22/10/2001, 6:02 PM
yea but rebel there were too too many games so far this year when it just looked like Ollie idnt give a chit. he wasnt looking for the ball or attacking his man, just drifting in and out of games.

Maybe i'm just trying to say other players have bad games in that way too & get away with it?

Maybe its to do with other players getting subbed on bad performances but because we've no replacement for Ollie hes kept on the pitch to compond the bad game while the manager hopes he can get past a few players & create a goal?

Ollies performance v Pats was the best city performance of the season though.

James
22/10/2001, 8:15 PM
fair nuff pete understand what you're saying
what about Devine against Bray in the Carsisle grounds? 4 or 5 excellant saves

but consistency is what you want not brilliant one week anon the next which is why Conor O grady gets it for me. He's a solid relaible player, just like Napier was last year. You know what you're going to get from him week in week out, not like Ollie where you are wondering if he got out the right side of the bed in the morning.

Sid
23/10/2001, 7:36 AM
I went for Colin P, fair enough he only started a couple of games. But he is our leading scorer and I certainly get a buzz from watchin him. Besides him I couldn't see past the full backs, both class.

Jim Smith
23/10/2001, 8:09 AM
Originally posted by Sid
I couldn't see past the full backs, both class.
Well said. Horgan never seems to get the praise he (IMHO) richly deserves. He might not look as classy as Carey but he's every bit as important to the team. Still, he didn't manage to get my vote :(

Snatch
23/10/2001, 9:28 AM
Some people are really taking Ollie for granted. It must be remembered that for most of the season he was playing out of position in the middle. He has been far more of a threat to the oppositon than O' Grady.

Carey comes a clse second and unless he disimproves soon he'll probably be on his way to Leicster - remember Dellaney!

Third place goes to Horgan.

Neil
23/10/2001, 9:30 AM
Although neither got my vote, I think Bennett and Devine both deserve credit for the way they have performed so far this season.

pete
23/10/2001, 10:08 AM
where did 24 voters come from????

James
23/10/2001, 1:30 PM
probably from people voting on the poll but then not commenting or posting a thread.

pete
23/10/2001, 1:47 PM
Theres not 26 people posting on the City section regularily is there?

James
23/10/2001, 1:50 PM
probably not pete but there are other people on this board and the poll wasnt restricted to city fans.

jbrazil
24/10/2001, 9:18 PM
it has to be one of the fullbacks, i think carey has been slightly better. mulligan, o grady and divine are the only other players playing consistantly well so far this season imho.

dahamsta
24/10/2001, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by pete
Theres not 26 people posting on the City section regularily is there?

Like I said in the mods forum the other day, there's 60-odd active users who've never posted here.

adam

Gerry Desmond
25/10/2001, 8:57 AM
Originally posted by pete
where did 24 voters come from????

I'd say Carey is voting like mad...:D

Gerry

Éanna
25/10/2001, 1:47 PM
It has to be alan carey. He's one of the best players i've seen at city over the last 4/5 years. I can't believe he's still here to be honest, I would've thought he would have been snapped up years ago by someone across the way. Still, not complaining. It's young quality players like that we need at the club and in this league for things to improve.

James
25/10/2001, 2:03 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I can't believe he's still here to be honest, I would've thought he would have been snapped up years ago by someone across the way.

what are you talking about?
he only made his debut last year against Bohs I think away in dayler in our 1-0 win. its hard for him to be snapped up years ago as you say when he was only playing youths football

v good prospect though for the future

Éanna
25/10/2001, 2:29 PM
What I meant was I'm surprised he wasn't lifted when he was playing schoolboys, the way so many young fellas are. A lot of players of that quality leave Ireland when they're 16/17! The longer he stays the better!

Gary
25/10/2001, 5:11 PM
A la Leon Mcsweeny I think he means James.

I spose your not going to the game on Sunday fair weather boy.Boston aint that far away!!!!!!

pete
25/10/2001, 5:29 PM
I've no problem with the best players going to england to wherever but unless the clubs stand up & demand fair transfer fees. That money can be ploughed back into the training of all the other players left.

Does anyone think CCFC would stand up against Carlisle like they going in the Darren Kelly situation? Not likely eh?

Would be good if could kep best players til they around 20-21 at least before they make the journey across the irish sea.

The sadest thing is seeing irish professional players wallowing in the lower english divisions. I think Colin Hawkins was very unfortunate to more to the english Conference when he did as the league has improved a lot since he left. I'm sure he'd prefer playing into europe than warming an english conference sides bench?

[rant over]

Seanie
26/10/2001, 4:24 PM
Carey has been head and shoulders above the rest - just as well Peter Taylor got sack at Fibber (!) street cos he's twice the player Delaney was during his time here. I'd have O'Grady second and Hoggie third.

ccfcman
29/10/2001, 2:23 PM
o'grady has really played well recently and he has shown great skill on the ball