PDA

View Full Version : New Derry City Crest

Pages : [1] 2

RĂ©iteoir
11/02/2010, 11:14 AM
Can't get the Search function on here to work at all - so can anyone post up the large images of the proposed new crest for the new Derry City?

Mr A
11/02/2010, 11:16 AM
Here you go:

http://www.printmojo.com/ONSoutfitters/Images/6918/i-cheat.gif

Whoopsie, I think that might be the old one...

cestlavie
11/02/2010, 1:03 PM
Here you go:

http://www.printmojo.com/ONSoutfitters/Images/6918/i-cheat.gif

Whoopsie, I think that might be the old one...

Nice one!

passerrby
11/02/2010, 1:04 PM
believe its a mushroom with "keep in the dark and fed lots of **** " written underneath, oh and a red hand in the middle

Mad Moose
11/02/2010, 6:22 PM
Anything has got to be an improvement on the last crest. I've seen better attempts at local Junior football level.

dcfc_1928
11/02/2010, 6:27 PM
It's this:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/spaghettihead_08/WallOakHQ2-1-1.jpg

TBH I'm not mad keen on it. Crest by committee. The Derry City Football Club text just doesn't look right

sligoman
11/02/2010, 6:28 PM
Why do Derry have a new crest?

dcfc_1928
11/02/2010, 6:32 PM
This is the original idea - from which that one was *******ized. Much more elegant IMHO.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/629/crestpng.png

SkStu
11/02/2010, 6:46 PM
i prefer Mr. A's.

;)

De Town
11/02/2010, 7:03 PM
Why do Derry have a new crest?

Coz they're a new club isn't it?!

Mad Moose
11/02/2010, 7:34 PM
It's this:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/spaghettihead_08/WallOakHQ2-1-1.jpg

TBH I'm not mad keen on it. Crest by committee. The Derry City Football Club text just doesn't look right

Surely its founded 2009 or 2010 actually. I know the point was raised on here before but surely even Derry fans wouldn't be so arrogant as to dismiss the fact the club actually reformed in the last few months and so cannot claim the club was formed in 1928. Genuine question.

Doomofman
11/02/2010, 7:35 PM
It's a horrible crest anyway... The one it was copied from was much nicer... But yeah... The club was formed in the last couple of months...

MariborKev
11/02/2010, 7:42 PM
Surely its founded 2009 or 2010 actually. I know the point was raised on here before but surely even Derry fans wouldn't be so arrogant as to dismiss the fact the club actually reformed in the last few months and so cannot claim the club was formed in 1928. Genuine question.

Why can we not? The company that ran the club may be in administration but try telling most fans it is a different club.

Sean South
11/02/2010, 8:12 PM
try telling most fans it is a different club.

Well it is.

Aaron
11/02/2010, 8:17 PM
Well tough ****, the CLUB was founded in 1928 and will always stay that way.

MariborKev
11/02/2010, 8:24 PM
Did we get a new crest in 94? No.

corkharps
11/02/2010, 8:26 PM
The 1928 is purely a reference to the amount of creditors owed money by the boys of the auld brigade in Derry!

Sean South
11/02/2010, 8:33 PM
Did we get a new crest in 94? No.

What's your point? The old Derry City changed their crest in the past see your avatar. Lots of clubs change their crests over the years.

MariborKev
11/02/2010, 8:37 PM
We had a similiar situation in 94, our crest still stated "1928". But here, keep on with your ignorance......

bluewhitearmy
11/02/2010, 9:30 PM
The 1928 is purely a reference to the amount of creditors owed money by the boys of the auld brigade in Derry!

Is it not how many contracts they had last season?

Mr_Parker
12/02/2010, 7:35 AM
The 1928 reference on the badge is just another desperate attempt to portray them as something they are not, while helping convince themselves they the same.

Though if it looks like a pig, walks like a pig and grunts like a pig, then it probably is a pig.

OneRedArmy
12/02/2010, 7:55 AM
Err, the new company purchased the trading name (amongst other assets) from the old company, therefore we're still called Derry City FC and the "club", regardless of whatever the petty begrudgers on this thread and elsewhere remains as was.

As an parallel, General Motors went bankrupt last year and a new company was set up to purchase the good assets and it retained the General Motors trading name whilst the old company was left in a liquidation process.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story (or in this case a good whine). Please go troll elsewhere.

Mr_Parker
12/02/2010, 8:40 AM
You can't buy history.

sligoman
12/02/2010, 8:48 AM
Coz they're a new club isn't it?!That's what I had thought but they're still calling themselves Derry City FC and still claim to have been founded in 1928 so wasn't sure if they were officially a new club or not.

pineapple stu
12/02/2010, 9:02 AM
Never seen anyone complaining about Cork City claiming to have been founded in 1984. Really don't know why people make such a big deal out of something like that; just looking for a whine.

(And speaking of a whine - Mr Parker, give the trolling a rest)

sligoman
12/02/2010, 9:07 AM
Never seen anyone complaining about Cork City claiming to have been founded in 1984. Really don't know why people make such a big deal out of something like that; just looking for a whine.

(And speaking of a whine - Mr Parker, give the trolling a rest)I don't know much about Cork's history apart from them having a rake of names throughout the years. This Derry incident was recent so I'm aware(or at least I had thought) they'd be coming back as a new club. Not whining, just wondering why they had the new crest if it's the same Derry City F.C.

OneRedArmy
12/02/2010, 9:16 AM
You can't buy history.......and apparently you can't buy good legal advice.

pineapple stu
12/02/2010, 9:20 AM
I don't know much about Cork's history apart from them having a rake of names throughout the years. This Derry incident was recent so I'm aware(or at least I had thought) they'd be coming back as a new club. Not whining, just wondering why they had the new crest if it's the same Derry City F.C.
Cork City went bankrupt in 1994 or so. They just formed a new company - mid-season - and continued on as before. This is one of the things licencing has cut out, so the only difference between them and Derry is that licencing has made it obvious what Derry have done.

Shamrock Rovers and UCD claim to have been formed in 1901 (depending what account you read) and 1895 respectively, but both went through a spell of non-existence around the 1910s. Nobody cares.

micls
12/02/2010, 9:20 AM
I don't know much about Cork's history apart from them having a rake of names throughout the years. This Derry incident was recent so I'm aware(or at least I had thought) they'd be coming back as a new club. Not whining, just wondering why they had the new crest if it's the same Derry City F.C.

We were liquidated in 94. As the rules were different then the club continued the season just with a different holding company.

No different from the Derry situation or our possible situation next week apart from teh FAI having different rules.

There's a lot more to a club than the holding company.

They changed their crest cos the old one was rubbish. They were discusisng this before the company was even wound up

John83
12/02/2010, 10:50 AM
I have my grandfather's hammer on a shelf in the garage. My father replaced the handle. I replaced the head.

cheech
12/02/2010, 11:32 AM
That crest is awful, the one they had in the 80s was better. That looks like an Art project.

I've no problem with them having 1928 on it. After all, it was then formed.

There are many issues about the shiny new debt free Derry City starting off life again in the First Division. They have probably the strongest squad, can offer more wages than their competitors and going forward are debt free.

I'd have more issues with how their systematic cheating and the writing off of massive debts have been dealt with.

The fox that is Kenny lives again. I'm sure he's not too bothered about the lettering on the new crest after he managed to get out of that mess without as much of a murmur. :D

Candystripe
12/02/2010, 11:43 AM
They changed their crest cos the old one was rubbish. They were discusisng this before the company was even wound up

We have indeed been discussing changing the crest for years.I think the original design should have been used as posted here.

Dodge
12/02/2010, 11:59 AM
I have my grandfather's hammer on a shelf in the garage. My father replaced the handle. I replaced the head.

Any chance I could get a loan of that hammer so I don't have to read another one of these ridiculous threads on the legitimacy of crests, names and foundation dates

cheech
12/02/2010, 12:27 PM
Any chance I could get a loan of that hammer so I don't have to read another one of these ridiculous threads on the legitimacy of crests, names and foundation dates

No need. The clue is in the title.

Acornvilla
12/02/2010, 12:34 PM
That crest is awful, the one they had in the 80s was better. That looks like an Art project.

I've no problem with them having 1928 on it. After all, it was then formed.

There are many issues about the shiny new debt free Derry City starting off life again in the First Division. They have probably the strongest squad, can offer more wages than their competitors and going forward are debt free.

I'd have more issues with how their systematic cheating and the writing off of massive debts have been dealt with.

The fox that is Kenny lives again. I'm sure he's not too bothered about the lettering on the new crest after he managed to get out of that mess without as much of a murmur. :D

dont insult art by comparing it to that.. thing

Dodge
12/02/2010, 1:28 PM
No need. The clue is in the title.

No, the title is "New Derry City Crest"

Its not "Are the new Derry City entitled to use the name "Derry City", and if they're changing their crest, are they entitled to claim they were founded in...."

blackholesun
12/02/2010, 2:44 PM
Cork City went bankrupt in 1994 or so. They just formed a new company - mid-season - and continued on as before. This is one of the things licencing has cut out, so the only difference between them and Derry is that licencing has made it obvious what Derry have done.

Shamrock Rovers and UCD claim to have been formed in 1901 (depending what account you read) and 1895 respectively, but both went through a spell of non-existence around the 1910s. Nobody cares.

Exactly, loads more examples too e.g. when s.p.a.f.c. folded for a year to be replaced by new hybrid club s.p.a.i.s.f.f.c. and then reappeared the following season.

bhs

John83
12/02/2010, 3:21 PM
FORAS have dibs.

RĂ©iteoir
12/02/2010, 3:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbha4XclSMU

John83
12/02/2010, 3:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbha4XclSMU
It's an idea that dates back to the ancient Greeks at least: look up the Ship of Theseus or Plato's Carriage.

dcfcsteve
13/02/2010, 12:11 AM
You have to laugh at all those affronted by the fact that City have 1928 on their new crest.

They're the type of dull arses who would write into their local paper in irate personal angst if a journalist made the error of referring to black as a colour.

To those clowns with their g-strings in a twist over this issue, I have one simple thing to clarify. You do realise that our club fell off the face of the footballing earth for 13 years before returning to play in a new league and state, since when it has been referring to 1928 in its crest without you suffering such affrontery ? It's only 25yrs later when the club ends one season with one limited company and starts another with a different limited company - all the while maintaining continuity of kit, stadium, manager, players (obviously not all) and fans that you find it such an affrontery. So cheer up ya boring arses, and go cry about something else somewhere else.

Talk about feeble faux affrontery...... :o

dcfcsteve
13/02/2010, 12:17 AM
You can be sure a poor thread is about to plumb new depths when you put in an appearance Mr Parker. You're the online equivalent of a pit canary.

And true to form.... :D

Mr A
13/02/2010, 1:20 PM
If it's the same club, there should be a points deduction based on the new rules brought in after the Cork and Drogheda fiascos last year.

corkharps
13/02/2010, 1:33 PM
If it's the same club, there should be a points deduction based on the new rules brought in after the Cork and Drogheda fiascos last year.
If its the same club, they should pay their 'ducking' bills!

Schumi
13/02/2010, 1:44 PM

In fairness they've been relegated which is more than has happened to any other club.

kid creole
13/02/2010, 2:04 PM
Pretty manky crst all the same.

mastershake
13/02/2010, 5:12 PM
Shelbourne:confused:

Mad Moose
13/02/2010, 5:33 PM
Apologies as I believe I started the issue relating to the date on the crest and I accept the explanations Kev has put forward so sorry for forcing Steve (DCFC) into a post taking the moral high ground on the matter as to why the club should continue with this founding date. I've more time and respect for Cork City fans at this stage than I do for Derry City and its cowardly cheating and submission into administration. Its not overly surprising Derry City have done so while of course making as loud as noise as possible on just how wonderful they actually are.

Somebody said 1928 relates to the number of contracts Derry City held before running into administration. I don't think this is true. More like the number of dual/illegal contracts Derry City held. I'd rather be graceful in defeat and sucess starvation than cheat my way in pursuit of 'success' (or a league cup victory and a 3rd place league finish :) ) .

dancinpants
13/02/2010, 5:57 PM
Let it go lads...just let it go. Its gettin' a wee bit cringeworthy at this point.

dcfcsteve
13/02/2010, 7:01 PM
Excellent stuff Harps Bear.

Do you do weddings and conferences as well......?