PDA

View Full Version : Would we refuse a premier place?

Grey Boy
08/02/2010, 5:52 PM
I heard from someone associated with Shels that we would turn down a place in the top flight. I sincerely hope this isn't true. I'd rather get pasted 5-0 every week in front of a potentially decent crowd than opt to stay in the first division and prob only end up in mid table. Does anyone have any inside track on this?

superfrank
08/02/2010, 6:45 PM
I heard that as well.

Personally, with the squad we have, I want us to be in the FD.

A season of record-breaking lows in the PD would do more damage than good, imo.

The only upsides would be the money and the experience for the young players (though, that could go either way), the downsides would be demoralised players, staff and fans, us becoming the laughing stock of the league (which may seem hard at the moment). I think the negatives far outweigh the positives. Give the club a year in the FD to regroup entirely and then see where we are at the start of 2011. I don't expect anything from this year.

Hulsey
08/02/2010, 10:39 PM
Surely if we do end up playing in the Premier next year travel costs would be lower than the First due to the geographical spread, so financially it would make more sense to take the premier place if it ends up that way

Roo69
11/02/2010, 3:32 PM
We will not turn a place in the Premier down if offered it, thats from a club official/

lowflyingseagul
11/02/2010, 4:33 PM
in terms of away crowds it would be financial suicide to turn it down

Roo69
11/02/2010, 5:08 PM
in terms of away crowds it would be financial suicide to turn it down

Everything to do turning down a place in the Premier is suicide. Away gates will be down at least €60/70k not playing in the Premier, Travel costs also soar playing in the 1st Division. If we are offered a place in the Premier we will take it, no doubts about that !

Grey Boy
11/02/2010, 8:23 PM
We will not turn a place in the Premier down if offered it, thats from a club official/

Phew! Thanks for the confirmation.

Albatross
11/02/2010, 10:50 PM

Same as Roo, I heard from a club official too

rocket
16/02/2010, 10:50 AM
watched friendly against dundalk, o.k. we were beaten 3 1 but some really good performances and played some good football . great young talent coming through and looking forward to seeing this squad holding their own and developing in F.D.