PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Whelan to Wycombe?

Bowsy
18/03/2004, 4:23 PM
Bugg*r is all I can say!!!!

Wycombe Wanderers boss Tony Adams has offered a trial to Irish U21 International and Manchester City midfielder Glenn Whelan, as the youngster looks set for a move away from the Premiership side after failing to nail down a first team place.

Whelan is just one of a number of players that Adams’ ran the rule over in a bid to save his second Division side from the inevitable drop into the third Division.

Having spent time on loan with Manchester neighbours, division III Bury, Whelan failed to secure the move until the end of the season so it was straight back to City’s reserves for the Dubliner.

Despite taking his senior team bow with the Premiership side, Whelan looks certain to leave City, as it appears that he does not fit into Kevin Keegan's first team plans.

Glenns last involvement with the Irish squad was in February, when Don Givens' U21 side won the Madeira International Tournament.

tetsujin1979
18/03/2004, 6:30 PM
Can't understand this, along with Flood, McCarthy and Elliott, Whelan was one of the highest rated Irish players in our reserves.

Joey Barton proved late last season and this season that if you are good enough, Keegan will give you your chance.

On the other hand if he is as good as I've read about (check out any of his match ratings from match reviews bury.rivals.net) then first team exposure (albeit at a lower level) could put him on the fast track to a move to a bigger club.

Still rightly p*ssed off about this :(

Plastic Paddy
18/03/2004, 9:16 PM
Originally posted by tetsujin1979
Can't understand this, along with Flood, McCarthy and Elliott, Whelan was one of the highest rated Irish players in our reserves.

"Our reserves"?!? I though you were a Limerick supporter... :confused: :p

:D PP

Bowsy
19/03/2004, 10:27 AM
might as well be playing for Limerick reserves as the worst team in division 2 soon to be division 3!!!!

tetsujin1979
19/03/2004, 6:39 PM
"Our reserves"?!? I though you were a Limerick supporter...

I'm from Limerick - but I live and work in Dublin - and I'm a Man City fan, with a passion for Celtic as well.

tetsujin1979
29/03/2004, 1:54 PM
Just read over on soccercentral.ie that Glen Whelan's signed a pre contract agreement with Sheffield Wednesday. Can't find anything else about it anywhere though. Wednesday are supposed to be getting taken over by Ken Bates, so they might make it back into the 1st div next season.

Éanna
29/03/2004, 3:28 PM
yeah says in the papers today that he wanted to go to wednesday now but man city wouldn't release him. might not be a bad move for him. they're only about 10 points off the pace this year, so with a bit of investment they could easily go up next season. they're getting unreal corwds too- averaging over 20,000. huge for the second division.

OwlsFan
26/07/2017, 3:39 PM
I'm from Limerick - but I live and work in Dublin - and I'm a Man City fan, with a passion for Celtic as well.

Amazing what you find out when going through old posts. Man City eh and before the billions?