PDA

View Full Version : George Lee gives up.

the 12 th man
08/02/2010, 3:01 PM
Barely nine months after election because they wouldn't let him have a bigger say in things in FG,wonder will he get his old job back:rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------
Read the full statement

Mr Lee was elected in the Dublin South by-election last June.

In the statement released just before lunchtime, George Lee says it has been a very difficult decision, but it is one that he has taken after a great deal of reflection.

He says that he has done his best to play a positive role in contributing to the national debate.

But Mr Lee was disappointed at his lack of input at 'this most critical time.'

Mr Lee says the role he has been playing within the party has been very limited and he says he found this to be personally unfulfilling.

In the statement, he thanked everyone who helped him but says he would not be serving the electorate honestly if he were to continue in office.

He added that the role available to him within Fine Gael is not a role he is happy to play.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0208/breaking40.htm

Mr A
08/02/2010, 3:19 PM
How very strange. Don't know what to make of this at all.

Did he make his feelings known to the leadership? Did he think he'd be the top guy just months after election? Why didn't the party do more to keep him happy?

This just makes them both look bad.

I had real hopes that Lee would make a good contribution to a future government. It seemed a positive development to have a knowledgeable and able guy make the jump and try to make a difference. It's a bit depressing that he felt he couldn't do that.

total hoofball
08/02/2010, 3:40 PM
This just makes them both look bad.

Well it won't be one of the finest days of Lee's life but there is no question that Fine Gael and in particular Enda Kenny are going to come out worse in this. Kenny and FG triumped Lee as a powerhouse in formulating their economic policies and they didn't even use the guy! It took serious balls for Lee to step out of his well paid and prestigious role in RTE to dive in with the sharks in Leinster House to actually try and change politics and the economy for the good. I've no doubt this is a decision he didn't take lightly and he has gone up in my estimation because he isn't going to hang round and be made scratch his arse in Fine Gael while he has to watch before his very eyes Fianna Fáil destroying this country while Fine Gael are too scared to sound a peep.

centre mid
08/02/2010, 4:46 PM
Its strange that he is resigning from the Dail as well as the FG party, I'm sure he could continue to represent his constituency until the next election. Unless it was all about getting to the top of the party rather than actually representing the electorate that voted him in. George Lee is a bright guy, he knows how the body politic works in this country, did he think he could effect a change in government when his party hadnt put a dent in FF at the last election. Afaik he was on a leave of absence from RTE so not all bad.

dahamsta
08/02/2010, 4:58 PM
I was too, struck me as inconsiderate at best, since it'll cause another bye-election.

In a working society, he would now become persona non grata and ignored by all. So he'll probably be offered a book deal or something. Muppet.

weecountyman
08/02/2010, 5:04 PM
I think the pull of RTE is just too strong - first Roddy, now George :-)

Seriously though, a friend of mine knows George and also David McWilliams, he did work with FG and made his opposition to George Lee clear - nothing personal, just he thought FG stumped up for the wrong celeb-economist. He said DMcW was better bang for buck, was better known worldwide and would be immensely loyal, but FG went for a button down type who was never going to be the right fit. Personally I reckon George got a push (him and Varadkar, and Creighton, was never going to work).

mypost
08/02/2010, 5:24 PM
I don't blame Kenny for this. Obviously people who don't like him will.

Lee could best be described as naive, if he thought he could burst down the door, demanding influence in an opposition party. At worst, he could be branded numerous uncomplimentary labels.

Nobody likes being in opposition, but you have to stick around for the long haul. Lee wasn't prepared to do that. If RTE hand him his job back, that's even more laughable.

Fr Damo
08/02/2010, 5:36 PM
I don't blame Kenny for this. Obviously people who don't like him will.

Lee could best be described as naive, if he thought he could burst down the door, demanding influence in an opposition party. At worst, he could be branded numerous uncomplimentary labels.

Nobody likes being in opposition, but you have to stick around for the long haul. Lee wasn't prepared to do that. If RTE hand him his job back, that's even more laughable.

Do you (plural) not think Lee is more credible than the others being offered on the front bench of FG? I certainly do.
Lee was signed (in fact headhunted) to lead with and pick holes in FF economoc policies. He wasn't used to that effect. Fact is, as many post on here agree, FF should be out on their ear but the opposition weren't able to bring this government down, after all the ethical and professional **** ups this government have provided us with. Lee calims he wasn't used to the best of his ability and that's Kenny's fault. They signed Robbie Keane and left him as a sub (maybe not a good analogy!!) and I wouldn't fancy the donkey work TDs have to do outside of the limelight.
Less was right to resign IMO. What RTE do now is going to be interesting.

mypost
08/02/2010, 6:11 PM
It's not up to FG to bring the government down, it's up to the Greens to do that. It's up to FG to win the election when it's called.

Last time, Kenny won them the 20 seats they lost in 2002, and is the only leader at the last election still around. Lee looked for an excuse to get out of politics, as he obviously couldn't hack it. His credibility is now destroyed.

superfrank
08/02/2010, 6:17 PM
So he'll probably be offered a book deal or something. Muppet.
I thought I read somewhere that Charlie Bird was getting taken off the States desk. It wouldn't surprise me if Lee got shoved out there.

It's extremely bizarre about Lee. I don't think he gave it enough time and I'm sure FF will win that by-election now. Who do FG have to put in there?

the 12 th man
08/02/2010, 6:40 PM
It's extremely bizarre about Lee. I don't think he gave it enough time and I'm sure FF will win that by-election now. Who do FG have to put in there?

George Hook.:D

dahamsta
08/02/2010, 6:44 PM
Joe "Do Be Do Be Do" Duffy. Best populist in the state.

Dodge
08/02/2010, 7:04 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Charlie Bird was getting taken off the States desk.

Its bird decision to return

It seems Lee's ego knows no bounds. Does he really think that someone like Richard Bruton shouldn't have a say in the FG economic policy? Ridiculous that some people believe his unchallnged views on RTE qualified him above all else

Fr Damo
08/02/2010, 7:15 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Charlie Bird was getting taken off the States desk. It wouldn't surprise me if Lee got shoved out there.

Can't see it, two school going kids etc.

Schumi
08/02/2010, 7:53 PM
I'm sure FF will win that by-election now.Alex White for Labour would be the strong favourite I would think. I'd be amazed if Fine Gael get anywhere close though.

Joe "Do Be Do Be Do" Duffy. Best populist in the state.*Shudder* though at least it might get him off the radio.

Macy
08/02/2010, 9:49 PM
Alex White for Labour would be the strong favourite I would think. I'd be amazed if Fine Gael get anywhere close though.
Alex White was the reason that FG felt the need to parachute in Lee in the first place, so you'd think he'd be favourite.

On Lee, both him and FG are losers.

It's appears to me that Lee basically sulked that he wasn't asked his opinion or to get involved more, instead of going looking for it. On the Last Word he said he hadn't raised it with anyone in FG Parliamentary Party, I mean wtf... When was his one year leave of absence up?

Another own goal by FG and Kenny. Whatever about Lee's attitude and involvement, they should have been using him more and keeping him happy. The boost they got by his joining and election is undone and then some. Kenny's done a great job re-building FG, but he can't take them to the next level that they should be at.

The Government must be wetting themselves, FG in turmoil, and their blatant lies about NAMA buried in the bullcrap about what it means for Irish Politics. Probably not a bad day for Labour either - Alex White a shoe in, FG overall majority or even a minority Government boat has sailed so they're in the box seat for Government now.

weecountyman
09/02/2010, 6:58 AM
Lee loves the sound of his own voice, he ran to Joe in order to insinuate a conspiracy against Kenny (he's now a "catalyst" for change) and now we should all expect our wonderful meeja to turn their guns on FG. This is exactly what FF wanted, a reason to continue hiding and bringing the country down. They survived Christmas by turning the "moral outrage of a nation" - RTE statement against TV3 over the Lenihan affair. Over the weekend Cowen was hammered for his blustering and lack of public persona, and was even damned for making Gordon Brown look statesmanlike. Now this, and a chance to hammer the only real chance for opposition in the state. The Greens are shameless, Labour aggressive but toothless, FG have some bright sparks but will be left as the party of the middle classes while FF struggle home next time around.

bennocelt
09/02/2010, 8:12 AM
It's not up to FG to bring the government down, it's up to the Greens to do that. It's up to FG to win the election when it's called.

Last time, Kenny won them the 20 seats they lost in 2002, and is the only leader at the last election still around. Lee looked for an excuse to get out of politics, as he obviously couldn't hack it. His credibility is now destroyed.

To be fair that wasn't exactly hard work

OneRedArmy
09/02/2010, 10:02 AM
Lee is as naive as he is egotistical. For someone who, through his previous role, should have had a much better understanding of how the political process works, he comes out of this looking like a petulant chump who has spat in the face of his constituents.

All that said, his core point is valid; politics in this country is completely and utterly broken.

On top of that, I would agree with him that FG have clearly decided to let the Government suffer a death by a thousand cuts and effectively hang themselves over time, rather than push hard to get them out of power now, and risk taking over when the country may not have hit bottom yet. Much easier to take over in a few years when the worst is over.

Cowardice all round.

weecountyman
09/02/2010, 11:26 AM
Lee is as naive as he is egotistical. For someone who, through his previous role, should have had a much better understanding of how the political process works, he comes out of this looking like a petulant chump who has spat in the face of his constituents.

All that said, his core point is valid; politics in this country is completely and utterly broken.

On top of that, I would agree with him that FG have clearly decided to let the Government suffer a death by a thousand cuts and effectively hang themselves over time, rather than push hard to get them out of power now, and risk taking over when the country may not have hit bottom yet. Much easier to take over in a few years when the worst is over.

Cowardice all round.

Couldn't agree more, FG threw away the chance to take power after the last election, they could have done it, albeit with a great coalition, but they knew what was coming down the line and are going to sit chipping on the sidelines for a while longer, same with Labour - they don't want to be lumbered with all this crap!

Good riddance to Lee, I prefer his Nob Nation character far more!

Macy
09/02/2010, 2:59 PM
Couldn't agree more, FG threw away the chance to take power after the last election, they could have done it, albeit with a great coalition, but they knew what was coming down the line and are going to sit chipping on the sidelines for a while longer, same with Labour - they don't want to be lumbered with all this crap!
That's some spin, I don't see how that grand coalition would've worked and plus all we would've heard about was FG going back on the pre-election promise not to go in with the shinners.

And on Labour, they probably would've gone in with FF, if they'd been asked (it would've been wrong, for a number of reasons, but they probably would've).

Ultimately it doesn't matter what the opposition do, as long as the Government has the votes they'll survive. The only other option would be mass demonstrations against them to force them out - the Irish public are too apathetic to bother. Much easier to snipe at the opposition than get off your hole.