PDA

View Full Version : Slovakia (A) - the game

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
08/02/2010, 12:51 PM
Post any info on the match in Slovakia in here. I'll try keep a summary of the main links in this thread.

Other links -

Accommodation (hotels to campsites) (http://foot.ie/threads/131566-Slovakia-(A)-accommodation)
Flights (or other means of getting there) (http://foot.ie/threads/131567-Slovakia-(A)-flights)
Charter travel (incl tour operator bookings, charter buses, taxis, etc) (http://foot.ie/threads/131568-Slovakia-(A)-charter-travel)
Places (towns, internal travel, reccies, etc) (http://foot.ie/threads/131570-Slovakia-(A)-places)
Pubs (including meet ups) (http://foot.ie/threads/131571-Slovakia-(A)-pubs)
General (things to do, other chat) (http://foot.ie/threads/131556-Slovakia-(A)-general)

Hibs4Ever
12/02/2010, 8:38 AM
My supervisor over here is Slovak and says the match will definitely not be in Bratislava. The Stadium is getting knocked down and re built from May this year, and won't be finished til May 2012

Our match will almost certainly be in Stadium Pod Dubňom in Zilina, which has a capacity of around 11,000. There are a few other Stadiums closer to Bratislava and with bigger capacity, but Zilina is the only one that meets UEFA Standards

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/slovakia/zilina_dubnon.shtml

Hibs4Ever
25/03/2010, 2:06 PM
It seems now Trnava could be used for the bigger games if some updates are completed. Would be much better than Zilina, only half hour from Bratislava

ParkLife
30/03/2010, 12:39 PM
It seems now Trnava could be used for the bigger games if some updates are completed. Would be much better than Zilina, only half hour from Bratislava

Realistically do you think the game will be on in Trnava?? Much handier if it was.
also...what will the Slovak kick off time be??

Girl in Green
19/07/2010, 2:29 PM
Got some of my insider info, seems the match won't be played in Bratislava for sure, some of us knew this anyway so it is not a surprise, it's looking like Zilina and it will be confirmed by this coming Friday or early next week at the latest, the imbargo date for the Slovak FA to release the venue is the beginning of next week.....so not long more to wait now!!

As always I never reveal my sources but once I know anything concrete foot.ie will be the first to know......gona go away now and and start looking at ways to get from Bratislava to the match venue, anyone interested in getting a Coach return on matchday let me know!!!

Girl in Green
28/07/2010, 10:24 PM
Seems the Slovakian FA have had a change of mind......match is taking place in Bratislava confirmed! Happy days........

mypost
29/07/2010, 7:31 AM
Got some of my insider info, seems the match won't be played in Bratislava for sure, some of us knew this anyway so it is not a surprise, it's looking like Zilina and it will be confirmed by this coming Friday or early next week at the latest, the imbargo date for the Slovak FA to release the venue is the beginning of next week.....so not long more to wait now!!

As always I never reveal my sources but once I know anything concrete foot.ie will be the first to know......gona go away now and and start looking at ways to get from Bratislava to the match venue, anyone interested in getting a Coach return on matchday let me know!!!

Seems the Slovakian FA have had a change of mind......match is taking place in Bratislava confirmed! Happy days........

What happened the "insider"?

Still no link, nor confirmation from either FA or UEFA, so there is some way to go before it's 100% guaranteed to be anywhere.

Today is just 11 weeks from ko.

eaststand85
29/07/2010, 8:06 AM
What happened the "insider"?

Still no link, nor confirmation from either FA or UEFA, so there is some way to go before it's 100% guaranteed to be anywhere.

Abbey Travel sent out an e-mail yesterday saying "Abbey Travel are delighted to announce that Bratislava has now been confirmed as the venue for the Slovakia v Ireland Euro 2012 Quarlifer on 12th Oct." (Their spelling mistake :))

Also confirmed by the Irish Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0729/1224275693593.html.

mypost
29/07/2010, 9:41 AM
Confirmed by the Slovak FA:

Link provided. You may not understand 95% of it, but the other 5% is what matters:

http://www.futbalsfz.sk/uvod/slovci-v-kvalifikcii-me-2012-proti-rom-v-bratislave-3612/

What did it take 4 months for, if it was going to be in Bratislava all along???

pineapple stu
29/07/2010, 10:30 AM
And it takes four hours to get there, and about an hour to book flights and hotel online.

Seriously, I don't see what your problem is about this.

Closed Account 2
29/07/2010, 11:02 AM
Any idea when kick off will be ? Trying to figure out if flight getting in at 5pm will give me enough time

mypost
29/07/2010, 3:47 PM
And it takes four hours to get there, and about an hour to book flights and hotel online.

That simple is it? Well for me, while I won't go into the details, it isn't.

And even if it was, there's no way it should take 4 months to confirm. Everyone of those teams in our group knew where they'd be playing in Ireland, as soon as the draw came out. It's only fair that they should give us a lot more than 70 days notice where we'll be playing over there. That's the idea behind fixture lists, so that everyone involved knows where and when they're going to x, y, z well in advance, and can prepare accordingly.

While it's easy for you, that doesn't apply to everybody, and you should recognise that.

pineapple stu
29/07/2010, 3:57 PM
Maybe it'll take a bit longer than an hour to book. But I don't see how on earth a mere 11 weeks' notice could possibly inconvenience you. Heaven knows how you make the start of the league season.

pineapple stu
13/08/2010, 12:29 PM
On Aertel that the Slovak FA have formally requested to move the game to Zilina. The FAI have replied to them and UEFA asking for the game not to be changed at this stage.

Edit - link (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0813/euro2012.html). It's three hours by train from Bratislava to Zilina.

Lionel Ritchie
13/08/2010, 3:20 PM
Thought everybody HAD to declare their hand on these matters three months before kick off no?

pineapple stu
13/08/2010, 3:22 PM
I think that's why the FAI are complaining.

mypost
13/08/2010, 4:56 PM
Thought everybody HAD to declare their hand on these matters three months before kick off no?

Apparantly, it's 60 days. Even if it is, we're at that point now.

Absolute disgrace tbh. While it might be better for some people on both sides for the game to be played in Shilina*, which is the Slovakia Sligo, this farce should have been decided long before now. Where's that headbanger smiley?

Maybe we should play the return fixture in Thomond Park next year, in response.

*Pronounciation.

stojkovic
15/08/2010, 4:47 PM
Maybe we should play the return fixture in Thomond Park next year, in response.
I'd prefer it if everyone stayed in Vienna or Krakow and didn't spend a cent in the smelly kip and also take three points on the pitch.

gwhite
17/08/2010, 10:11 AM
This was clearly done on purpose just to mess us around. When they hit Dublin Airport next year I hope everyone in their party is strip searched, every scrap of luggage checked and they´re kept there for hours. Actually delaney should get onto customs or something and make sure this happens. I´ve booked my flights and hotel in Bratislava already and I am not happy. Cnuts.

danthesaint
17/08/2010, 10:47 AM
was just talkin to slovakian fella over there lads, train from Zilina to Bratislava is at 8.17pm and the next one isnt till 2.40am, jokeshop.

ParkLife
17/08/2010, 3:18 PM
2:40AM isn't that bad. We could go out in Zilina after the game then head to the train station at 2.30, get a few hours kip on it.

Lionel Ritchie
17/08/2010, 3:59 PM
Building on Myposts comment, could the FAI return the serve and announce the return leg will take place at Thomond Park, Limerick. Then confirm in writing that it'll take place in Thomond Park, Limerick. Then at 2 minutes to midnight on Matchday +61 announce we're moving it back to Dublin.

OneRedArmy
17/08/2010, 5:09 PM
was just talkin to slovakian fella over there lads, train from Zilina to Bratislava is at 8.17pm and the next one isnt till 2.40am, jokeshop.At least there is a train at 2.40am, we don't have night trains in Ireland so we're not exactly arguing from a position of strength here in terms of transportational effectiveness.

The Slovaks have played it shifty here, but it was well flagged as a possibility (speaking as someone who went ahead and booked anyway and has a flight from Vienna to get to on the Weds)

mypost
18/08/2010, 3:59 AM
2:40AM isn't that bad. We could go out in Zilina after the game then head to the train station at 2.30, get a few hours kip on it.

No it's not that bad, but Zilina is a kip. The station is also a kip where the English language hasn't been discovered. There's no such thing as a waiting room. You'd want to be there at least an hour beforehand to beat the queue and the inevitable issues as a result.

The time though is better than hanging around Bratislava all night if you're waiting to get a train back to Vienna. If you're flying into Bratislava, double and treble-check your luggage, in case the airport authorities are carrying out their secret "security" procedures.

One other bit of advice. Sleeping while travelling by rail in Slovakia is NOT recommended. It's one of the countries where stations are not announced, and the placename is only over the door at each station. Can cause obvious problems for those who can't keep their eyes open.

danthesaint
18/08/2010, 7:01 AM
At least there is a train at 2.40am, we don't have night trains in Ireland so we're not exactly arguing from a position of strength here in terms of transportational effectiveness.

no i agree about the transport thing, i said it to them that there transport is better than ours, but 8pm till 2am bit of a gap. was planning on doing what parklife suggested.

mypost
18/08/2010, 7:14 AM
The game finishes at 10.30, so there's only a 4 hour gap to the next train back to Bratislava.

the doc
18/08/2010, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know where the game will be? Has there been an official announcement where it will be following the Slovakia FA wanting to change the venue.

Hibs4Ever
18/08/2010, 12:42 PM
No it's not that bad, but Zilina is a kip. The station is also a kip where the English language hasn't been discovered. .

Why should it be?

OneRedArmy
18/08/2010, 1:57 PM
Why should it be?Welcome to Mypost world.

twoenz
19/08/2010, 6:15 PM
This is shaping up to be a bit of a 'mare.

Half of me is tempted to base myself in Poland for it, and I'm also thinking about going charter (shudders). Would it be possible to organise a bus from Bratislava? The fear of waking up on a train in Switzerland doesn't really fill me with joy.

Junior
20/08/2010, 9:07 AM
A few buses being organised by the www.ybig.ie crowd. One from Krakow, might be of use to you.

Girl in Green
20/08/2010, 9:23 AM
Coaches/Buses is the best option......dat's if the game is taking place outside Bratislava.......why are we waiting crazy goin on!

Hibs4Ever
20/08/2010, 2:35 PM
Zilina is confirmed

http://www.profutbal.sk/repre/svk/clanok101001-Kvalifikacny_duel_Slovensko__Irsko_v_Ziline.htm

Also, the Slovak FA are saying that bratislava was never confirmed by them. It was only spoken about in meetings and the media were claiming it as confirmed

Hibs4Ever
20/08/2010, 2:45 PM
Also, we'll be entitled to just over 1000 tickets, so if you are going without a match ticket you're probably best to jus****ch the game in a bar in Bratislava (or Prague, Vienna, Krakow, wherever you fly into) as the bars in Zilina aren't great, mostly just small "herna" type bars

Lenny82
20/08/2010, 2:49 PM
Shower of ****es!!!

If Bratislava was never confirmed by them, why did they write to the FAI requesting a change of venue?

Can anybody recommend a decent/half decent hotel in Zilina so?

Hibs4Ever
20/08/2010, 2:52 PM
Shower of ****es!!!

If Bratislava was never confirmed by them, why did they write to the FAI requesting a change of venue?

They're saying they wrote to the FAI to tell them the game would be in Zilina FULL STOP, that they never confirmed Bratislava with anyone. They always said it was between the two. As far as I know they play their first qualifier in Bratislava, against Macedonia.

To be honest, I think if they had confirmed Bratislavia in writing to FAI and UEFA (like the FAI say) then they would not have been allowed change it

pineapple stu
20/08/2010, 2:55 PM
jus****ch
I'm utterly compelled as to what that word was before the filter got to it!?

Edit - just watch. :D

Hibs4Ever
20/08/2010, 2:59 PM
It's on the Slovak FA site too

http://www.futbalsfz.sk/o-reprezentacii-a/kvalifikan-duel-slovensko-rsko-v-iline-3714/

mypost
21/08/2010, 1:09 AM
Shower of ****es!!!

No problem with the change of venue. I have a major problem with the timing of the announcement. We're 50-odd DAYS from the game ffs. An absolute disgrace.

Daytrippers can forget about it. Those who booked direct to Bratislava returning on Wednesday have a major problem with flights and available hotels now.

If ever you need proof that booking these trips takes a bit more than "four hours to get there, and about an hour to book flights and hotel online", this trip is it.

mypost
22/08/2010, 7:51 AM
It's not just the fans who have wasted time, effort, and money. Abbey Travel have got in on the act, filming, compiling, and releasing a video that is now 90% worthless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3PSTSfdhsY

bennocelt
22/08/2010, 8:22 AM
Jesus that was riveting stuff!

twoenz
22/08/2010, 12:45 PM
I think that's the creepiest video I've ever watched.

pineapple stu
22/08/2010, 6:27 PM
If ever you need proof that booking these trips takes a bit more than "four hours to get there, and about an hour to book flights and hotel online", this trip is it.
No you don't. You have proof that you should wait till a venue is confirmed. It still takes four-ish hours to get there and about an hour to book flights and hotel online. In fact, it's the exact same as going to Bratislava except you've to get an extra train. The sky is falling!!!!

And my heart bleeds for Abbey Travel. How much have they ripped Irish fans off for over the years? The expense of a redundant video is minimal by comparison.

mypost
22/08/2010, 11:40 PM
You have proof that you should wait till a venue is confirmed. It still takes four-ish hours to get there and about an hour to book flights and hotel online.

Which takes longer than the above to find out. The longer it takes, the more the fares increase, the less accommodation is available, etc...

pineapple stu
23/08/2010, 9:15 AM
The venue's been announced in plenty of time to book the trip, even if there was farting about by the FAI.

Prices start going up once the venue is announced, so that point is moot. Ditto accommodation.

Lenny82
24/08/2010, 4:20 PM
Anybody have a link to book train tickets from Bratislava to Zilina? Is the train station in Bratislava near the airport?

pineapple stu
24/08/2010, 4:42 PM
Train station is in town I think. Not near the airport anyway.

Try here (http://www.zsr.sk/) or here (http://www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml) for train tickets, but they'll be available on the day without any hassle I'd say.

mypost
24/08/2010, 7:12 PM
The venue's been announced in plenty of time to book the trip, even if there was farting about by the FAI.

Prices start going up once the venue is announced, so that point is moot. Ditto accommodation.

2 months is not enough time for international games. That's why these draws are made 6 months in advance. Research missions, hotel availability, ticketing issues, and routine spot checks among other things have to be arranged and negotiated by FA's. It's not a 5-minute job. The 5-minute approach is what caused the logistical issues in Saipan, and we all know what that led to.

For fans, prices don't wait until venues are announced before going up, they increase all the time. As the wait goes on, less accommodation becomes available, and that's in the bigger cities, let alone Zilina. Next year, the Russian trek requires visas, an extra issue that takes significant time and money to accommodate for, more than "an hour to sort out".

MariborKev
24/08/2010, 10:21 PM
Train station is in town I think. Not near the airport anyway.

Try here (http://www.zsr.sk/) or here (http://www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml) for train tickets, but they'll be available on the day without any hassle I'd say.

Tickets? Surely it will just be like the Bratislava to Prague train the last time i.e a complete scrum.

No thanks, we'll be driving.

pineapple stu
25/08/2010, 9:09 AM
Tickets? Surely it will just be like the Bratislava to Prague train the last time i.e a complete scrum.

No thanks, we'll be driving.
I'd imagine this one not being a double header, the fact that there's a nice big recession going on and the fact that there mayn't be tickets for everyone in Zilina would mean that it'll be a quieter train journey this time?

2 months is not enough time for international games. That's why these draws are made 6 months in advance. Research missions, hotel availability, ticketing issues, and routine spot checks among other things have to be arranged and negotiated by FA's. It's not a 5-minute job. The 5-minute approach is what caused the logistical issues in Saipan, and we all know what that led to.
None of which is relevant to any of us.

For fans, prices don't wait until venues are announced before going up, they increase all the time. As the wait goes on, less accommodation becomes available, and that's in the bigger cities, let alone Zilina. Next year, the Russian trek requires visas, an extra issue that takes significant time and money to accommodate for, more than "an hour to sort out".
From www.GuidetoRussia.com (http://www.guidetorussia.org/russian_visa.html) - you can get an invitation in a day, and then you just post stuff to the Russian embassy. And in any event, that's irrelevant as we already know the game is going to be in Russia, and it doesn't matter where in Russia.

I'd be very surprised if priced in Zilina were going up all the past few weeks given no announcement had been made about the game. And I'd be even more surprised if any significant amount of it has been booked out six weeks in advance.

Do you ever actually think anything through, or do you just moan by default?