PDA

View Full Version : Pointless debate about names gender etc

SÓC
17/03/2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by rambler09

p.s. is eanna a girl or boys name????

hehe

My girlfriend once got suspicious becuase I was going away every second weekend with a group of lads and some girl called Éanna. Oh the fun when she got to see the ugly bástard in flesh.

rambler09
17/03/2004, 7:31 PM
ha ha i don't blame her for thinkin it!

so its a boys name???

weird parents...

Colm
17/03/2004, 8:44 PM
by saying we should of one the game is going mental???

Could somebody please translate this into English?

Neil
18/03/2004, 8:00 AM
Originally posted by Colm

And today's Countdown conundrum is.....

by saying we should of one the game is going mental???

Peadar
18/03/2004, 8:56 AM
Originally posted by Neil
And today's Countdown conundrum is.....

I think what he meant to say was,
by saying that we should have won the game is considered going mental?

Strange to think they can't speak the queens english in queenstown :D

Originally posted by Éanna
That "If you sell him you're dead" always sounded a bit dodgy IMO

Agree with you on that actually, and the term "price on your head" usually means you're fodder for bounty hunters and assassins.

weird parents...

The fact that you didn't know if it was a boys name or a girls name simply highlights your ignorance with regard to Irish heritage and in no way indicates anything weird about his parents. Your own name must be meaningless or you're ashamed of it since you hide behind such a creative handle.

Éanna
18/03/2004, 2:06 PM
ha ha i don't blame her for thinkin it!

so its a boys name???

weird parents...
Sh!t! I never heard that one before :rolleyes:

liamon
18/03/2004, 3:08 PM
I know a few guys called Eanna.
Didn't realise tht title could also be used when naming useless non-male progeny.

Éanna
18/03/2004, 3:22 PM
Yawn. Moved :rolleyes:

Ruairi
18/03/2004, 6:24 PM
EEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR

sorry, couldn't resist

Kenetic
19/03/2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Colm

Enda

Éanna
19/03/2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Kenetic
Enda
nope

Macy
19/03/2004, 10:58 AM
Probably isn't one, just some poncey sounding explaination.... Or something religious.

Kenetic
19/03/2004, 11:01 AM
Just asked my mate Éanna for his translation and Enda is what he gave.

Éanna
19/03/2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Macy
Probably isn't one, just some poncey sounding explaination.... Or something religious.
its not religious and there's no translation. anyway- who flamin cares :rolleyes:

Aberdonian Stu
19/03/2004, 1:08 PM
Well seeing as it's poiintless

While Éanna is correct (as it is his own name) in stating that Éanna isn't Enda in english the common coversion when forcing petulent children in schools and irish college to know the irish language version of their name is to make children called Enda take Éanna as a name.

Another common mistranslation is to make Sorcha into Sally or Sarah (the latter being more common). The nearest accurate english translation is in fact Clare.

Personally I have always despised the concept of translating one's name. My name is Emmet James Ryan, not Eiméid Séamus Ó Riain which was the name I took in school. I managed to persuade the majority of teachers to use the name Emmet when addressing me as I would generally ignore them if they referred to me as Éiméid. Yes I was quite militant in school. Likewise I do not feel it right to ask someone to give the English version of their name.

As to the main issue of whether or not Éanna is a boy's name let me clarify that no matter how sissyish the name sounds you need to be one hell of a dufus to not know that it's a guy's name.

SÓC
19/03/2004, 1:25 PM
Originally posted by Aberdonian Stu

Personally I have always despised the concept of translating one's name. My name is Emmet James Ryan, not Éiméid Séamus Ó Riain which was the name I took in school. I managed to persuade the majority of teachers to use the name Emmet when addressing me as I would generally ignore them if they referred to me as Éiméid. Yes I was quite militant in school.

Huh back in the good old days Sparky would have beating the crap out of you for such crimes, then the Christian Brothers went all nice and non-vicious.

As for the name Éanna, its actually an Irish-Warrior name. One of the Knights of the Red Branch was called Éanna.

John83
19/03/2004, 2:14 PM
While Éanna is correct (as it is his own name) in stating that Éanna isn't Enda in english the common coversion when forcing petulent children in schools and irish college to know the irish language version of their name is to make children called Enda take Éanna as a name.

Another common mistranslation is to make Sorcha into Sally or Sarah (the latter being more common). The nearest accurate english translation is in fact Clare.

I'm called John (shock, horror), and it's always been translated into Seán, which actually means Jack. Jack is what everyone used to call my grandfather, whose name was actually Seán, but which was mistranslated as John. Confused? Then read it again dumbass.

SÓC
19/03/2004, 2:45 PM
But Jack means John. Seán means John. Just as John means Eoin, kinda like the way Eoin means Iain.

Its all simple really.

sadloserkid
19/03/2004, 4:27 PM
Originally posted by SÓC
Oh the fun when she got to see the ugly bástard in flesh.

To be fair to him he wasn't afraid to chat to the ladies (in particular my ex) when he popped into my birthday celebrations last week. ;)

eoinh
19/03/2004, 5:05 PM
Originally posted by SÓC
But Jack means John. Seán means John. Just as John means Eoin, kinda like the way Eoin means Iain.

Its all simple really.

Sean and Eoin (as well as Eanna) are unique (like all names). There really are no translations. Eoin means Eoin. John means John. I suspect that by saying Eoin means John that they were trying to tie an Irish name to a christian name.

I mean what does Tadgh translate as?

BTW all names like John, George etc arent strictly english.

John is an Aramaic name (as are most names in the Bible).

the scout
19/03/2004, 6:56 PM

you need to be one hell of a dufus to not know that it's a guy's name. [/B]

well said aberdonian stu

SÓC
22/03/2004, 10:50 AM
Sean and Eoin (as well as Eanna) are unique (like all names). There really are no translations. Eoin means Eoin. John means John. I suspect that by saying Eoin means John that they were trying to tie an Irish name to a christian name.

Yea true to an extent but John, as you say is Aramaic but Seán is a form of it.

John (English/Aramaic) Jean (French) Seán (Celtic) Juan (Spanish). You can see how they came from each other.
Just as Eoin, Owen and Iain are the same Celtic name just spelt or pronounced different in each country.

Eoin is the name given to everyone in the Bible as Gaeilge who was called John in the English version. Dont know why, what the link was though.

What an odd thread.

Éanna
22/03/2004, 11:04 AM
To be fair to him he wasn't afraid to chat to the ladies (in particular my ex) when he popped into my birthday celebrations last week. ;)
i was just makin conversation :)

the 12 th man
22/03/2004, 11:19 AM

first time i ever heard it called that before ;)

Paddy Ramone
22/03/2004, 1:49 PM

Eoin is a Christian name actually. It was the Gaelic name used for the biblical John which is Johannes in Latin. It only dates back to Christian times. The Irish didn't call their children directly after saints prefering to use the prefixes Giolle (Gille) meaning servant or lad or Maola also meaning servant or monk. This is where the surname Malone (O Maol Eoin) came from.

Iain is the Scots Gaelic version of Eoin and the surname MacLean (Mac Gille Iain) is derived from it. John is derived ultimately from the Hebrew Johannan and George is Greek. Sean is the Gaelic version of the English John and isn't as old as Eoin. Real English names are names like Edwin and Edward which date back to Anglo-Saxon times.

Tadhg was translated to Timothy. Maybe this is how Celtic got their nickname. Tague a derogatory name for an Irish Catholic who came to Glasgow as Tims.

eoinh
22/03/2004, 2:20 PM
Eoin is a Christian name actually. It was the Gaelic name used for the biblical John which is Johannes in Latin. It only dates back to Christian times.

Yeah but they only "tied" it to a christain name. If christainity or the english had never come to ireland you would still have eoin in ireland and john in england with no connection between them.

Its not the same as changing something subtly like Corcaigh to Cork.

BTW Dublin obviously come from Dubh Linn - "Blackpool". So why is Dublin known in Irish as Baile Ath Cliath - that means something totally different.

John or a version of john must have exisited before christian times as one of the disciples was called john. Jesus and the jews in that region spoke aramaic not hebrew.

John83
22/03/2004, 2:24 PM
Yeah but they only "tied" it to a christain name. If
BTW Dublin obviously come from Dubh Linn - "Blackpool". So why is Dublin known in Irish as Baile Ath Cliath - that means something totally different.
Always thought that was a bit silly alright. Dubh Linn isn't as clumsey either.

I've been told that BAC is the old Irish name, while Dubh Linn is what the Vikings called it. Or something like that - it's been years.

Paddy Ramone
22/03/2004, 2:50 PM
Yeah but they only "tied" it to a christain name. If christainity or the english had never come to ireland you would still have eoin in ireland and john in england with no connection between them.

As far as I know Eoin is a Gaelic Chrisitian name. The Gaelic monks must have used as the Gaelic version of Johannes the Latin version of John. I could be wrong. I don't think there is any evidence of it in Ireland before St Patrick came. There were certainly no Seans until the English came hence Seanin pronunced Shoneen which means Wes Brit. Sean is is just a Gaelic version of John the most common Englidsh Christian name.

John or a version of john must have exisited before christian times as one of the disciples was called john. Jesus and the jews in that region spoke aramaic not hebrew.

Obviously the Hebrew Johannan a did exist before Christian times. The Jews kept Hebrew as the language for scripture but spoke Aramaic. John is a just an anglicized version of the Latin variant Johannes which was derived from the Greek version Ioannes which ultimately comes from Hebrew.

Paddy Ramone
22/03/2004, 3:52 PM
Yea true to an extent but John, as you say is Aramaic but Seán is a form of it.

John (English/Aramaic) Jean (French) Seán (Celtic) Juan (Spanish). You can see how they came from each other.
Just as Eoin, Owen and Iain are the same Celtic name just spelt or pronounced different in each country.

Eoin is the name given to everyone in the Bible as Gaeilge who was called John in the English version. Dont know why, what the link was though.

Eoin was the original Irish version of the biblical John as I said before. Sean is only a Gaelicicized version of the English John.

There's also a distinction between Eoghan the Irish for Eugene and Eoin the Irish for John even though they're pronounced the same. Ewan and Owen are the same as Eoghan. Iain and Iuan are the same as Eoin.

Paddy Ramone
23/03/2004, 8:40 AM
Just asked my mate Éanna for his translation and Enda is what he gave.

I think Enda is just an Anglicized version of Eanna like Donald is an Anglicized version of Domnaill and Sean is a Gaelicized version of John (no J in Irish). Non-Irish speakers found it easier to pronounce Eanna as Enda. The Gaelic version came first.

Éanna
29/03/2004, 12:11 PM
yeah, Enda is often given as the translation but its just a get-out clause for people who are too lazy to pronounce the name properly- something that really bugs the crap outta me.

sadloserkid
29/03/2004, 1:44 PM

;) I'm sure she'll be crushed!

Éanna
29/03/2004, 3:29 PM
LOL :D dunno about that