PDA

View Full Version : Speed test

drinkfeckarse
02/02/2010, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

Would appreciate if you could help me out a little. After installing Avast anti-virus a couple of months ago, I have now run into some difficulty which may or may not be related..
Over the last few weeks my computer has been running really slowly, pages taking ages to load, downloading a song from i-tunes takes about 12 minutes instead of the normal 30 seconds etc. I checked the broadband speed and it said I have a download speed of 0.09 mb/s as opposed to the usual 5mb!!

Is this purely down to the line/service provider or can my laptop itself have an impact on it?? I don't muck about with it as I'm a relative novice so I wouldn't expect it to be running any differently than it did with Norton installed.

Any help or advice would be appreciated :)

drinkfeckarse
04/02/2010, 9:36 AM
Anyone?? Please!?

Dunny
04/02/2010, 9:57 AM
All I can think of is, did you have anti-virus before Avast? And if you did, did you un-install it?

passinginterest
04/02/2010, 10:50 AM
Norton is notoriously difficult to fully uninstall, I've definitely heard of people having issues when they install a new antivirus and try to get rid of Norton. There should be some tech forums or maybe an Avast support forum or something that could talk you through checking for conflicts with Norton.

drinkfeckarse
05/02/2010, 9:58 AM
Thanks lads, I defo uninstalled it as it had expired and when I check my installed programs, Norton doesn't appear. I'm starting to think it may have have something to do with my usage. I use a crowd called Plusnet for my broadband and I'm fairly certain I get a 2GB monthly allowance. I don't download an awful lot of stuff other than the occasional tune but am I right in saying that if I'm on the net most days then just simply looking at different pages adds this up?

OneRedArmy
10/02/2010, 12:08 PM
It sounds like you may have exceeded your monthly cap and your bandwidth might have been heavily throttled as a result. A lot of the ISPs are doing this now.

You need to contact your ISP either way as if it hasn't been throttled, then it may well be a problem on their side.

drinkfeckarse
11/02/2010, 8:55 AM
Thanks ORA, yeah that's what it was. Got in touch with them and they confirmed it. Found it a bit strange though as it hadn't happened to me before and I didn't feel I was online anymore or less than normal..

Block G Raptor
11/02/2010, 9:18 PM
A lot of providers fail to mention that your monthly "download" also includes your upload so if you are sending emails with attachments etc it will eat up your Limit

drinkfeckarse
13/02/2010, 7:02 PM
Oh didn't know that, cheers. I forward on quite a lot of jokey e-mails when I get them, more often than not they have attachments and pictures etc..