PDA

View Full Version : Next LOI star to get into a top foreign league side

weecountyman
27/01/2010, 2:23 PM
I know this is rather trite, but looking through Irish overseas (for one) it seems that each of the past 4 years a LOI player has ended up breaking into a top flight foreign side. So who is going to be next?

Longfordian
27/01/2010, 2:30 PM
Glen Fitzpatrick.

juan
27/01/2010, 2:30 PM
Guntars Siligailis

GuisaSaigon
27/01/2010, 2:35 PM
John Sangi

pineapple stu
27/01/2010, 2:38 PM
Gary Dicker.

On the ball, Gary Dicker was the best player on the pitch by far, and when I say by far, I mean by miles. The next one, with all respect to the 21 other players, was not even close."

Technically not an LoI player any more, but seems to be progressing fairly well in England and seems to be seen by many as Brighton's key player. Wouldn't surprise me if he jumped up to Division One; Premiership may be a bit too much. Would love if he got a call up for one of those pointless American tours though. :)

Stevo Da Gull
27/01/2010, 2:40 PM
Pretty high compliments from Poyet there alright.

I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute to the thread having missed last season.

WoodquayBoy
27/01/2010, 2:41 PM
No a LOI star, but Greg Cunningham (Galway lad, ex Mervue Utd underage sides) made his debut for Man****ty at the weekend

stann
27/01/2010, 2:43 PM
And looked very tidy indeed!

Sam_Heggy
27/01/2010, 3:19 PM
Ciaran Gallagher - Harps keeper only 17 and one of the top keepers in the league, Irish Under 19 international.

Stephen "Cristiano" McLaughlin - 19 year old striker, signed from Junior football in July 09, superb touch and vision, strong on the ball and brilliant in the air.

Packie Mailey - 19 year old centre half, attracting interest from England and Scotland, has pace, terrific in the air, great reader of the game and chips in with his share of goals, including a wonder strike against Fingal last season.

Ciaran Coll - 17 year old left back, attracted huge interest towards the end of last season from across the water but got done in Limerick last away game of the season and will be out for the season as a result. The lad is quality on the ball, has pace to burn and playing senior football will only help him.

On a serious note, others that are worth noticing are:

Ian Rossiter, Austin Friel, Davy Byrne, Gary Beckett and Davy Tyrell - class acts the lot of them :D

peadar1987
27/01/2010, 3:28 PM
Has Brian Murphy played for Ipswich this season? Would he count?

Mr Maroon
27/01/2010, 3:29 PM
Xano.

Ash
27/01/2010, 3:47 PM
Emeka Onwubiko is waiting on International clearence before playing with a 3rd
division team in Spain. Its a 6 month thing with a view to joining Celta Vigo if he
makes the grade!

LFC-Zulu
27/01/2010, 3:48 PM
Ciaran Coll - 17 year old left back, attracted huge interest towards the end of last season from across the water but got done in Limerick last away game of the season and will be out for the season as a result. The lad is quality on the ball, has pace to burn and playing senior football will only help him.
Sorry. :rolleyes:

Ian Rossiter, Austin Friel, Davy Byrne, Gary Beckett and Davy Tyrell - class acts the lot of them :D

Is this for real? Aussie Friel, Davy Byrne and Davy Tyrell to break England? :confused:

Longfordian
27/01/2010, 3:59 PM
Emeka Onwubiko is waiting on International clearence before playing with a 3rd
division team in Spain. Its a 6 month thing with a view to joining Celta Vigo if he
makes the grade!

The Third Division in Spain is fairly poor he might do ok there but I don't see him doing anything at Celta Vigo. Good move for him though I'm sure he'll enjoy life in Spain.

bluewhitearmy
27/01/2010, 4:00 PM
Ciaran Gallagher - Harps keeper only 17 and one of the top keepers in the league, Irish Under 19 international.

Stephen "Cristiano" McLaughlin - 19 year old striker, signed from Junior football in July 09, superb touch and vision, strong on the ball and brilliant in the air.

Packie Mailey - 19 year old centre half, attracting interest from England and Scotland, has pace, terrific in the air, great reader of the game and chips in with his share of goals, including a wonder strike against Fingal last season.

On a serious note, others that are worth noticing are:

How exactly was he done?

CSFShels
27/01/2010, 4:12 PM
Must have been from behind.

Sam_Heggy
27/01/2010, 7:21 PM
Is this for real? Aussie Friel, Davy Byrne and Davy Tyrell to break England? :confused:

Yet no mention of Ian Rossiter or Gary Beckett? :eek:

Mad Moose
27/01/2010, 7:31 PM

Tongue not so much lodged in cheek as firmly jammed. Unfortunately the only man who couldn't see the folly of signing Friel was the man who signed him. Unsurprisingly it didn't work out.

weecountyman
27/01/2010, 9:00 PM
What about Gary Twigg going to a leading Scottish side?

eamo1
27/01/2010, 9:21 PM
Our Irish u21 right back Seamus Conneely,can't believe nobody came in for him this close season.I know he's at college and wants to finish there,it wont be long before he goes after he finishes college im sure.

John Russell,on trial with League 2 Chesterfield during this close season,but can make it in the Championship i reckon.

gustavo
27/01/2010, 9:26 PM
Our Irish u21 right back Seamus Conneely,can't believe nobody came in for him this close season.I know he's at college and wants to finish there,it wont be long before he goes after he finishes college im sure.

John Russell,on trial with League 2 Chesterfield during this close season,but can make it in the Championship i reckon.

Both rumoured to be joining us so a step up anyway for them is in store if not leaving the country

irishultra
27/01/2010, 9:52 PM
russell is awesome

Big Chief
28/01/2010, 9:25 AM
How exactly was he done?

In fairness I was down at that match and although I recall him sustaining a serious injury and being stretchered from the field after a lengthy delay, I don't remember being wildly annoyed which would tend to suggest that the injury wasn't maliciously inflicted!

In terms of Harps players I do think young McLaughlin in particular has a real chance although he may have benefitted from being picked up sooner.

As for players outside Harps' ranks making it at a good level across the water, I'm surprised Mark Quigley hasn't gone back to England or the SPL as he has always impressed me with his movement and ability any time I have watched him. Having said that the wages Bohs, and St. Patrick's before that, are paying probably removes the incentive to go cross channel.

bluewhitearmy
28/01/2010, 10:38 AM
In fairness I was down at that match and although I recall him sustaining a serious injury and being stretchered from the field after a lengthy delay, I don't remember being wildly annoyed which would tend to suggest that the injury wasn't maliciously inflicted!

In terms of Harps players I do think young McLaughlin in particular has a real chance although he may have benefitted from being picked up sooner.

As for players outside Harps' ranks making it at a good level across the water, I'm surprised Mark Quigley hasn't gone back to England or the SPL as he has always impressed me with his movement and ability any time I have watched him. Having said that the wages Bohs, and St. Patrick's before that, are paying probably removes the incentive to go cross channel.

Exactly him and our striker went in or 50-50 and he came off worse.

The Betting Man
28/01/2010, 1:02 PM
Has Brian Murphy played for Ipswich this season? Would he count?

He got injured in the warm up against Leicester(start of the month) which would of been his 1st game,he hopes to return in the next week or so

Big Chief
28/01/2010, 3:23 PM
Exactly him and our striker went in or 50-50 and he came off worse.

Actually in truth, I've just reviewed my notes on the Harps forum at the time and I noted that Coll injured himself making a tackle which arguably prevented a goalscoring opportunity and would have merited a caution at least had he not ben stretchered from the field in obvious pain. So it was something of a self inflicted injury.

I see Brian Murphy's name being mentioned here. I always thought Barry Murphy was a good keeper too and I would have thought he would have made it cross-channel at some level, although perhaps not the top flight. Any thoughts?

bluemovie
28/01/2010, 5:18 PM
Don't ye know it's impossible to tell which League of Ireland players will make it in England? They're not worth watching in Ireland, but are sprinkled with magic dust in Gatwick and suddenly become good players. Sure that's how the likes of Kevin Doyle, Keith Fahey, Seamus Coleman were able to go straight into first team contention having been "plucked from nowhere".

Bohs11
29/01/2010, 10:46 AM
Conor Powell is probably the only one in my mind that is floating around the league with the potential to play PL football

GUFCghost
29/01/2010, 2:59 PM
Aron Greene

Raheny Red
01/02/2010, 10:43 AM
Paddy Madden

superfrank
01/02/2010, 6:44 PM
The Third Division in Spain is fairly poor he might do ok there but I don't see him doing anything at Celta Vigo. Good move for him though I'm sure he'll enjoy life in Spain.

He'll definitely enjoy it, what with the nightclubs being open til 6am.

Celta are a bit funny. They're struggling down the bottom of the second division but made the quarters of the cup where they went out to an inconsistent Atlético side. They got there by beating an arguably better side in Villarreal. Their side is full of youngsters too, AFAIK, so I imagine, if he gets there, he might get a chance.

theworm2345
21/02/2010, 11:40 PM
Wasn't Padraig Amond supposedly the next big thing a year or so back?

Acornvilla
22/02/2010, 2:32 PM
tadgh purcell ripping up league two :)

osarusan
22/02/2010, 3:47 PM

He has a great future behind him.

Dodge
22/02/2010, 3:51 PM
Never rated him

Quigley's the most talented player in the league. Not sure if the commitment is there though.

Powell's a good shout. Still has time on his side and is quick and built well enouigh for a full back.

bennocelt
22/02/2010, 5:16 PM
Never rated him

Quigley's the most talented player in the league. Not sure if the commitment is there though.

Powell's a good shout. Still has time on his side and is quick and built well enouigh for a full back.

What was your opinion of him leaving St Pats Dodge?

sligoman
22/02/2010, 5:17 PM
Mauro Almeida.

RoversInn
22/02/2010, 9:31 PM
Matty Blinkhorn is the player Arsenal need.

Cooke to guide Liverpool to there first Premiership title next season.

Dodge
22/02/2010, 10:02 PM
What was your opinion of him leaving St Pats Dodge?

Mixed. He wasn't good last year but I genuinely believe he could play in premiership with his ability. Sulked last year though and if he had to leave to bring a team of good charachters, so be it

I'd be amongst his biggest fans at Pats. Some considered him lazy, I didn't