PDA

View Full Version : Rock & Chips

stann
26/01/2010, 9:56 AM
Another new show, Rock & Chips, aired the other night, the prequel to Only Fools & Horses, anyone see this? It was a one-off 90 min episode, but there's potential there for a few more I would have said.

It could very well have proved a horror show, but it wasn't - John Sullivan was the writer again, and the young versions of the characters were very well cast I thought. Chap from The Inbetweeners was good as Del, but the stars there were the young Boycie and Trigger. Nicholas Lyndhurst played his own father Freddie the Frog, just returned to Peckham after a spell inside, accompanied by his partner in crime played by the wonderful Paul Putner.
Some of the minor characters from the series were featured, and it's a measure of how well they originally were drawn that you could often tell who they were supposed to be before they spoke their first lines, including Albie Littlewood who was dead by the time of Fools & Horses! :D

paul_oshea
26/01/2010, 12:30 PM
I thought it was very loose to eb honest, a bit too loose compared to how the characters were always protrayed. Definitely a story that wasn't thought out through the years of the show if you get me.

It wasn't funny either, bar 1 or 2 quips by del.

However it was still worth watching. Interesting to see "rodney" in a different role i.e playing his father.

Blowin_Rover
26/01/2010, 2:25 PM
thought Nicolas Lyndhurst was useless,done ten years in Dartmoor not convincing and needs a powerful lead guy to be the stooge

Neish
26/01/2010, 4:28 PM
Thought it was fairly avearge myself

stann
27/01/2010, 2:53 PM
Definitely worth watching, I thought it a bit better than average, if not great.

Not enough laughs it's true, though the "I like Johnny Ray" bit was good.

Lyndhurst wasn't convincing as the character he talked up in the pre-publicity alright: a hard, calculating, "what-I-want-I-will-take" character he was certainly not. :D

Worthwhile exercise though, and I wouldn't be averse to watching another if it came along. Beats The Green Green Grass anyway!

juan
27/01/2010, 11:34 PM
I've had this image of a young Del Boy leaning to a bump on his mothers belly area, saying the immortal line.