PDA

View Full Version : UCD 2-1 AUL

pineapple stu
16/03/2004, 12:49 PM
UCD beat an AUL team 2-1 in Belfield last night - Robbie Martin with his third of pre-season and Alan Gallen were the scorers. Supposedly a dire performance with eleven subs used. Anyone want to post up a match report? I've since deleted both those e-mails!

pineapple stu
16/03/2004, 12:50 PM
And how do I get that title to stay in caps?

Schumi
16/03/2004, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
And how do I get that title to stay in caps? Fixed, don't know why it wouldn't work.

Match report:
The AUL side looked good. I was expecting a fairly disorganised looking team but they passed the ball around well and were the better side in midfield for the first 30 minutes or so. We gave them far too much space to pass the ball around and their bald, short no. 9 was really fast and left McAuley and Foley in his wake when he latched onto a long through ball after about 10 minutes but his shot was too close to Quigley who saved it well. They took a deserved, if lucky, lead after about 15 or 20 minutes when a shot from outside the box took a huge deflection off Rob McAuley and left Quigley with no chance.

We continued to give them too much space and they could have extended their lead before we finally started to put some pressure on them and got on top. There was about 10 minutes left to half time when Robbie Martin found some space on the left hand side of the AUL box and fired home a good finish to become our highest scorer in these friendlies with 3 goals in the 4 games. A few minutes later, Pat Sullivan made a fantastic run down the right side going past about 4 or 5 AUL players before unleashing a shot from just inside the box which was scrambled away by an AUL defender.

UCD made 10 changes for the second half, with only 'keeper Quigley playing the full game. With the team mostly made up of scholarship players, there was a noticeably higher tempo. James Timmons and Alan Mahon got stuck into a few tackles that they might have been wiser to avoid but overall the team were on top for most of an admitably poor 45 minutes. The only real highlights (apart from in Timmons' hair!) were the performances of Alan Mahon and whoever no. 20 on the right was. UCD won the game with an Alan Gallen goal mid-way through the half. A strong run on the left brought him into the box and he put a good finish past the 'keeper at the near post.

The team starting probably won't be too far off what starts on Friday. Tony McDonnell will probably come in for either McNally or Finn. Hopefully Gannon will come in at right back with Sullivan replacing McWalter (with a turning circle similar to a newspaper deputy-editor!) at right wing.

Team, as far as I remember:

Quigley
Sullivan McAuley Foley Davey
McWalter McNally Finn O'Donnell
Doyle Martin
Subs: Gannon, Mahon, Timmons, Gallen, 6 others: all half time.