PDA

View Full Version : Trapattoni 'interested' in Juve job part-time

Scooby Doo
20/01/2010, 9:52 AM
Story in todays Sun (yes I know its the sun!) and here

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Ireland-boss-Trapattoni-on-Juventus-shortlist/5128/

Don't know how happy I am with this. Though I think that Trap has too much loyalty to drop us if the proposed Juve spell goes well (like Walter Smith left Scotland for Rangers/Sanchez with the North).

On the plus side, it mite mean a spell in Italy for one or two Irish lads. Imagine Paul Mc Shane lining up beside Cannavaro in defence! :D

Nagger
20/01/2010, 9:56 AM
Rafa Benitez is going to be offerd the job...after he gets sacked by Liverpool

Jicked
20/01/2010, 10:08 AM
In fairness if Boumsong got a game for Juve Paul McShane could captain them. They won't give it to Trap long term, wouldn't have a problem with him taking over until the end of the season though if Ferrara was sacked. Tardelli could easily step in for the Brazil friendly even if Trap didn't want to fulfill that, though I'm sure he could.

Deckydee
20/01/2010, 10:19 AM
Dont leave us Trap!

John83
20/01/2010, 10:30 AM
Rafa Benitez is going to be offerd the job...after he gets sacked by Liverpool
Only if he gets sacked - which Liverpool seem to be reluctant to do, not least for financial reasons. As much as Ferrara is in trouble, I don't think Juve have the money to sack him and hire competitively. He'll stay on until the summer, or they'll get someone available on the cheap.

Irritatingly, that makes the Trapattoni rumour more plausible, but given we're starting with an article in the Sun, I'm still not worried. There's no hint of it elsewhere either, as far as I know.

Jicked
20/01/2010, 10:34 AM
Only if he gets sacked - which Liverpool seem to be reluctant to do, not least for financial reasons. As much as Ferrara is in trouble, I don't think Juve have the money to sack him and hire competitively. He'll stay on until the summer, or they'll get someone available on the cheap.

Guus Hiddink has been very heavily linked in recent weeks, suggestions he'll do what he did with Chelsea until the end of the season. Ferrara's position is almost untenable, the fans have even started turning on him after previously just focusing their ire on the board.

John83
20/01/2010, 10:58 AM
Guus Hiddink has been very heavily linked in recent weeks, suggestions he'll do what he did with Chelsea until the end of the season. Ferrara's position is almost untenable, the fans have even started turning on him after previously just focusing their ire on the board.
He was. I don't fully believe it. He's unattached; if they were going to hire him, Ferrara would be gone by now.

Scooby Doo
20/01/2010, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't be very happy if he wasn't round for the friendly. Thats his job and should be his priority. for 2million€ a year he should be able to fit in a single March friendly against arguably the best team in the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm a MASSIVE Trap fan. i'm just a little uneasy about the situation given the Turkey rumours recently. I'm praying he stays till 2014.

back of the net
20/01/2010, 11:26 AM
Story in todays Sun (yes I know its the sun!) and here

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Ireland-boss-Trapattoni-on-Juventus-shortlist/5128/

Don't know how happy I am with this. Though I think that Trap has too much loyalty to drop us if the proposed Juve spell goes well (like Walter Smith left Scotland for Rangers/Sanchez with the North).

On the plus side, it mite mean a spell in Italy for one or two Irish lads. Imagine Paul Mc Shane lining up beside Cannavaro in defence! :D

Honestly Scooby i believe your worrying over nothing. Its PaperTalk, thats all, trash like the Sun have nothing else to write about.

Traps name is only being bandied about due to history with Juve and The Serie A and also due to the Turkey story last month.

I do agree with you that Trap should be at the brazil friendly no matter what(unless due to personal reasons of course) and i have no doubt Trap will be at the brazil game and at all the games for the next 2 years and hopefuly beyond.

Mcshane and cannavaro would be unique alrght though ....lol

Crosby87
20/01/2010, 11:27 AM
He should either stay or go.

Acornvilla
20/01/2010, 11:37 AM
if i was him and was offered to go back and save the clubs season and have one last go at winning somthing i'd go for it if the FAI gave him the permission. theirs no way juve would keep him longer anyway

Murfinator
20/01/2010, 12:08 PM
So long as hes back and focused for the start of the next qualifying campaign I'd have no issue with this.

Gather round
20/01/2010, 12:47 PM
I think that Trap has too much loyalty to drop us if the proposed Juve spell goes well (like Walter Smith left Scotland for Rangers/Sanchez with the North

Sanchez left a part-time job for a full-time, higher-profile one paying about eight times the salary. Can't blame him for that. He promised long-term loyalty before that, and says he asked the phony Pharaoh if he could juggle both jobs. Few of us were fully convinced: apart from the zero chance of Fayed agreeing, his antics and resignation threats around the Iceland and Spain games in 2006 suggested he wasn't around for the long-term.

I've no idea how loyal Trap is. Of course he's on a much larger salary than Sanchez and presumably not interested in a full-time return to club management. Against that, he's nearly 71, lives near Milan(?) so also Turin, and might well fancy a brief caretaker or even a semi-honorary 'presidential' role with Juve. Managing another country might conflict with that. But I expect the results in the autumn qualifiers will be the biggest influence on his plans.

elroy
20/01/2010, 2:11 PM
Could understand if Trap is interested in the role and he would have nothing really to lose by taking the job on a part time basis for four months.

Would have no problem with that, my only concern is that if he went there for the four months (im sure he would fulfill our one/two friendlies in this time) is that in the period of time he was manager Juve did very well, that there would be a pressure on Juve to hire him full time and theres no guarantee Trap wouldnt take it in that case.

Although they do lie fifth in the league, 13 points off the top, it would be very hard to see them winning the league, at best he might guide them to a CL spot and win the Coppa Italia (though they play inter next so not likely to progress).

Leeside Swagger
20/01/2010, 2:22 PM
We're paying his wages the so he should be 100% committed to us at all times,no exceptions. No quotes in the article,its complete fantasy.

EivissaPaul
20/01/2010, 2:51 PM
Not a trap fan at all so if he was to go i wouldn't care less.. The Irish team as limited as it is, was not utilised any where near its full potential. Andy Reid should without question have been an important squad player and look at the Shi** performance at home to france! His English is pi** poor and how can he communicate properly with the squad.. I know there is a translator but that is not the same.. Its a shambles of a set-up only the FAI could bloody manage.. In reflection it could be worse, we could have Steve Staunton still in charge!

Jicked
20/01/2010, 3:31 PM
Not a trap fan at all so if he was to go i wouldn't care less.. The Irish team as limited as it is, was not utilised any where near its full potential. Andy Reid should without question have been an important squad player and look at the Shi** performance at home to france! His English is pi** poor and how can he communicate properly with the squad.. I know there is a translator but that is not the same.. Its a shambles of a set-up only the FAI could bloody manage.. In reflection it could be worse, we could have Steve Staunton still in charge!

So which is it? Our band of footballing gods are being stunted by the negative tactics of Trap, or Trap can't get his message across meaning our average journeymen can't get forward and play with the style intended?

As for our terrible performance against France, how many shots on goal did Anelka, Henry et al manage on goal in that game?

galwayhoop
20/01/2010, 3:43 PM
As for our terrible performance against France, how many shots on goal did Anelka, Henry et al manage on goal in that game?

i agree here.

we totally contained them in that game and they rarely, if ever, got in behind us. the goal was a deflection after a hopeful shot from outside the box.

just before the goal i remember saying to the lad next to me that the french hadn't a clue how to get in behind us.

unfortunately n this country we aren't used to anything other than a high pressing game and on the whole the crowd at games are un-educated (football wise). some of the things people say at games are ridiculous, even by schoolboy standards.

we are a seriously limited team but managed to finish second in our group to the world champions and were heading for penalties against a french team full of quality until the hand of dog.

trap worked wonders with pretty much the same group of players who had narrowly beat san marino and drawn at home and were hockeyed away by Cyprus in the previous campaign ffs.

would not be happy if he went to Juve part or full time.

elroy
20/01/2010, 6:07 PM
i agree here.

we totally contained them in that game and they rarely, if ever, got in behind us. the goal was a deflection after a hopeful shot from outside the box.

just before the goal i remember saying to the lad next to me that the french hadn't a clue how to get in behind us.

Yes but in the second half there was a marked difference to the first, in which we narrowly shaded it. In the second half, we were camped in our half and letting them come onto us, yes it had worked in a few of the games earlier in the campaign, Bulgaria X2 for example.

But that night I felt the goal was inevitable because in the second half as soon as the ball was cleared by our defence it pretty much came right back at them again. They hadnt got behind us fair enough because we were defending so deep but we were standing off them and they were starting to break us down, note the Evra penalty claim.
And in reality following the goal, France should really have added to their lead, the Gignac miss was a shocker.

Crosby87
20/01/2010, 10:53 PM
i agree here.

I mean this France arguement is dumb. It doesnt matter what you stay in the stands, we were 0-1-1 against them. So.....it was unsuccesful.
Are France even really that good right now? And they have an absolute JO for a manager. So being like, Trap is great, look how good we did against France...I dont get that.

EastTerracer
21/01/2010, 12:52 AM
I mean this France arguement is dumb. It doesnt matter what you stay in the stands, we were 0-1-1 against them. So.....it was unsuccesful.
Are France even really that good right now? And they have an absolute JO for a manager. So being like, Trap is great, look how good we did against France...I dont get that.

Technically you could argue we won one and lost one as both teams won the away games over 90 minutes. Extra-time only came into effect after the aggregate score so France won after extra-time. I know Paddy Power paid out on Ireland to win in Paris.

Any suggestions who could have done a better job?

Emmet7
22/01/2010, 12:45 PM
I think it has been settled that Trap is a good manager, in fact a great manager. He inherited a shambles, a team with little or no drive or ambition, low morale, no system of play, few players coming through. Everyone was pessimistic about the future at the end of 2008.

Trap turned things around. It took him a while to find a settled team which is only to be expected, and we don't have a massive pool of talent like Cappello has in England for example, or even Domenech has.

We stood toe to toe with France, a nation with a pick of 60 million people not to mention the pick of it's ex colonies, for 180 minutes, and we were only seperated by blatent cheating.

We can be proud of the team and proud of Trap. He has resurrected the Irish team's fortunes, and but for some FIFA condoned cheating we could now be at the WC.

barney
23/01/2010, 1:13 PM
A couple of the posts in this thread are ridiculous but Galwayhoop's are absolutely spot on.

At LOI games, I have a pain in me hole listening to people say "We should be just keeping it on the deck, passing short and building from the back" and two minutes later you hear "F**king just get it out of there". Which do you want?

It also pains me to hear people say "We played great this week. F**king dope of a manager should have done the same last week. No passion or effort last week at all." Some people don't realise that the way the opposition set themselves up will have a huge bearing on how you can play against them.

Brazil for example will allow more space to play then, say, a Trap team who will sit, for the most part, with two banks of four to stop you playing. Just because you play a certain way one week doesn't mean you can play like that all the time (ditto for the two France games).

All a lot of people want in this country, and barstoolers are more guilty than most, is to see high tempo attacking football ("Just give it a lash and go at them. Bit of passion is all we need.") without any regard for the fact that it isn't the only way to skin a cat and, in some cases, is a guaranteed way to get skinned alive yourself.

There should be no question about what Trap has brought to the Irish team. The facts don't lie. Stop judging him against our inflated opinion of ourselves and instead judge him against what he inherited and where he has taken us from there.

Scooby Doo
23/01/2010, 4:11 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0123/trapattonig.html

RTE update:
Republic of Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni has admited he has been approached by other countries over vacant managerial post, but the Italian has again dismissed suggestion he is to leave his current job anytime soon.
'Many national teams are interested,' he said. 'They asked us "what are you doing, what aren't you doing?"
'But for now we're remaining loyal to what we signed.

'But in life I always say never say never.'

The 'never say never' bit is what worries me. Maybe I'm just overanalysing!!

Noelys Guitar
23/01/2010, 4:13 PM
'Many national teams are interested,' he said. 'They asked us "what are you doing, what aren't you doing?"

Not exactly ruling himself out of jumping ship here.

Scooby Doo
23/01/2010, 4:19 PM

Not exactly ruling himself out of jumping ship here.
Sure, just what I was thinking. Hope it turns out to be one of these situations where the exact meaning of what he said has been lost in translation. Although to me it does seem quite clear that he is leaving the door open...

irishfan86
23/01/2010, 5:53 PM
Well, at his age, if a genuine world cup contender came in and offered him a chance to make a real go at winning the whole thing, could we begrudge him that opportunity?

I'd obviously be disappointed if he left us for the likes of Turkey, but if a big nation came in for him I'd understand.

Alf Honn
23/01/2010, 6:09 PM

---

Has he borrowed this line from Stephen Ireland? How ironic.

irishultra
23/01/2010, 8:18 PM
turkeys pretty big, much more prestige managing turkey than ireland. much more to work with as well.

twoenz
24/01/2010, 1:33 PM
turkeys pretty big, much more prestige managing turkey than ireland. much more to work with as well.

Turkey used to be minnows. They were 6 easy points in qualifying in the early 90s. They were in a World Cup in 2002, same as us.

irishultra
24/01/2010, 10:43 PM
times change, they finished third in that world cup and got to quarter finals of euro 2008

Deckydee
25/01/2010, 10:33 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trapattoni-dismisses-report-of-juve-return-newcastle-keen-on-andrews-2030142.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/trapattoni-i-forgive-henry-110496.html

back of the net
25/01/2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trapattoni-dismisses-report-of-juve-return-newcastle-keen-on-andrews-2030142.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/trapattoni-i-forgive-henry-110496.html
""Juventus have not called me, but even if they do, I can say that it was a nice memory in my career that cannot come back," said Trapattoni. "The Juventus jersey is not just a shirt. It's a coat of armour. It weighs so much on your shoulders."

------------------------------------------
Lovely hurling Trap - next stop for traps army, London in 5 weeks time, with the Euro 2012 draw in 2 weeks exciting times ahead all.

As for James McCarthy, i wouldnt read too much into the re-linking with scotland - new manager, only a few quality players , McCarthy going back to scotland was always going to be a talking point but ive no doubts that the only senior international shirt he will ever be wearing will be Irish one

Would have no issues with andrews going to n'castle either as i think hughton is a very good coach who has stabilised a club in disarray and looks to be taking them back to the premiership.

TrapAPony
26/01/2010, 1:28 PM
Update :

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0126/trapattoni.html

Noelys Guitar
26/01/2010, 2:30 PM
I knew something was afoot as soon as Trap said never say never. I don't see a big problem if he does take over Juve until the end of the season. My only concern would be if he turns Juve's results around and then the want him to say. Would he be able to say no? I can see the FAI getting some lolly from this so I don't see any problems from their end.

Jicked
26/01/2010, 3:34 PM
I'd be quite happy to see him take over at Juve until the summer and Benitez. They wouldn't be interested long term in Trap, and Tardelli could easily handle the Brazilian game preparation and initial very early scouting of our 2012 opponents.

Razors left peg
26/01/2010, 3:46 PM
if he is to take over Juve he must be availible for Brazil and any other friendlies we might have. We are not paying him 2 million a year not to even turn up to our games. These next few months are vital for preparation for the next campaign and I would rather see him concentrating on us

Leeside Swagger
26/01/2010, 4:12 PM
I cant see him taking it, his days of high pressure club management are over imo. On the off chance that he did accept the job we should cancel his contract and move on with Brady and Tardelli. He gets paid to manage Ireland and he should be 100% committed to us at all times.

Junior
26/01/2010, 4:18 PM
I cant see him taking it, his days of high pressure club management are over imo. On the off chance that he did accept the job we should cancel his contract and move on with Brady and Tardelli. He gets paid to manage Ireland and he should be 100% committed to us at all times.

or get paid a part-time wage?

I want him 100% on the Ireland job Full Time. However, if some negotiation is required from the FAI should Trap want to talk about this 'opportunity' then they need to think of all options.

Leeside Swagger
26/01/2010, 4:27 PM
or get paid a part-time wage?

I want him 100% on the Ireland job Full Time. However, if some negotiation is required from the FAI should Trap want to talk about this 'opportunity' then they need to think of all options.

Maybe a part time wage could be worked out, Im sure Juve would need to compensate us as well. The FAI will probably be pimping him out all over Europe if they think he can make them a few quid in the off season:)

Still dont think it'll happen given his age etc.

back of the net
26/01/2010, 7:19 PM
According to the sports section on the 6 o'clock news this eve on rte 1 , the FAI haved rubbished reports linking Trap taking any part-time role with Juve till the end of the season.

Although it wouldnt bother me if Trap took over Juve JUST till end of the season , i firmly believe that he wont and his attentions will 100% remain fully focused with the Rep: Of Ireland and preparing us for euro 2012 qualifiers, the qualifiers and hopefully at the end of the quals, preparing us for the actual tournament.

Serb
29/01/2010, 1:35 PM
Juve have just sacked Ferrara and have appointed Alberto Zaccheroni as the short-term replacement, so that puts the Trappatoni rumour to bed.

Duggie
29/01/2010, 1:40 PM
Juve have just sacked Ferrara and have appointed Alberto Zaccheroni as the short-term replacement, so that puts the Trappatoni rumour to bed.

thank God, we want trap all to ourselves now. pity about poor ferrara.