PDA

View Full Version : Greg to Waterford

NorthoftheLee
16/03/2004, 8:21 AM
Reports in the papers today linking Greg with a move to Waterford........I'd hate to see Greg go ...he will certainly be a useful squad player to have....the team will miss him if he goes......

(Rule: thecorner is not allowed to reply to this:p )

thecorner
16/03/2004, 8:51 AM
and who's first to reply.............................

anyway,hope hes a first teamer with waterford coz i reckon our new look midfield would walk all over him

one_bounce
16/03/2004, 9:11 AM
id also hate to see him go... i think he could definately play an important part in our season... great man to bring on if the mids are getting muscled out or if were trying to defend a lead... injuries and form will inevitably play a part this season... if we had just 2 midfield injuries quality cover would be thin on the ground...
i see colin t, nwankwo and georgie being the 3 to fill the 2 cm positions with sweeney and greg as cover..
with greg gone dolan will more than likely field murray in mid again at some point and ye dont want that now surely!!

also he was our captain till recently.. fairly swift fall from grace

b_mcsweeney
16/03/2004, 9:22 AM
sorry to see greg go, thought he was a decent player, and as pointed out above, added some bite to midfield. whatever else you say about him, he always gave it his all. plus, i remember him scoring a screamer against pats at the cross back around 99 when we were the two best teams in the league (won 1 nil).

thecorner
16/03/2004, 9:46 AM
you mite all be sad to see him go but its obvious he isnt part of dolans plans

but lets be honest about it

with greg as anchor man in midfield, we would never win a championship........................

simple as that

yiddo
16/03/2004, 11:03 AM
Fair point Corner about Greg not being capable of anchoring a league winning midfield. However a midfield of Kearney, Georgie, Nwanko/CT/Sweeney and Doyle isn't the answer either. Hate to say it but the best holding midfielder we had in the past few season was reynolds.

Anway best of luck to Greg if he does go to Waaaaaterford.

thecorner
16/03/2004, 11:26 AM
i reckon giving time,sweeney could turn out to be just as effective as rennie but nwanko mite have to something to say about sweeney getting his chance

rebelnorrie
16/03/2004, 12:13 PM
we have a very physicaly weak mid field,doyler,kearney,nwanko,georgie and sweeney.colin t is about the toughest next to greg,we need some1 to b at hand to break some legs when the others are bein pushed around and bein kicked off d ball,like georgie in pre-seasons

tiktok
16/03/2004, 12:25 PM
he might not be in Dolan's plans, but he should be, even as a squad player. we had little experienced cover for central midfield as it was. i think it's a big loss.

thecorner
16/03/2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by rebelnorrie
,we need some1 to b at hand to break some legs

what an a*shole :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A face
16/03/2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
what an a*shole :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We all still know you dont like Greg .... he is gone now so you'd think you'd stop.

He will be sorely missed and with Rennie and Greg in the middle for Waterford, that is one area where they wont have a probelm.

tiktok
16/03/2004, 12:40 PM
to be fair, i think thecorner was referring to rebelnorrie for the break legs comment as opposed to greg.

A face
16/03/2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
to be fair, i think thecorner was referring to rebelnorrie for the break legs comment as opposed to greg.

Oopps ... didnt read it properly .... Sorry thecorner !! :)

You know i didnt mean it !! :D

rebelnorrie
16/03/2004, 1:00 PM
i dont actually mean to "break some legs",but more to b tough and stop players pushin our midfield off d ball,

A face
16/03/2004, 1:14 PM
Originally posted by rebelnorrie
i dont actually mean to "break some legs",but more to b tough and stop players pushin our midfield off d ball,

You mean just kick them in the shins kinda thing so !! :D

pete
16/03/2004, 1:50 PM
Would be disappointed to see Greg go.

In hindsight he not a great midfielder but would offer competition at fullback for Hoggie & Billy - remember Hoggie & Billy to a lesser degree could play on either side..

Éanna
16/03/2004, 4:23 PM
I think he'd be a handy player to have in the squad, both cos of his versatility and his commitment. Understandable if he wanted to leave to get his game though.

As far as i know nothing has been decided yet, so its a case of wait and see

patsh
16/03/2004, 4:41 PM
I asked on Saturday at the Family day.
He said he didn't want to leave, he was hoping that something could e worked out, but he would have to wait and see.
I'd would be very disappointed to see him go, his heart is 100% Cork City and he would be a loss to the squad.
Our battlers in midfield will be Nwanko, who is unproven, Colin T, about the same as Greg, and Kevin Murray, a defender.
BAD move to let him go.

Éanna
16/03/2004, 4:50 PM
Originally posted by patsh
I asked on Saturday at the Family day.
He said he didn't want to leave, he was hoping that something could e worked out, but he would have to wait and see.
yeah, he said pretty much the same up in galway

RedX
16/03/2004, 6:43 PM
I dont think we should let him go...we never really had anyone great in the centre with him to pass the ball which in my opinion would have brought out the best in the guy...i am thinking there is definetly more than just the football side to Citys possible decision in letting the guy go..there has been a lot of speculation about his attitude over the last few years..maybe there is some truth in it..

thecorner
16/03/2004, 8:53 PM
Originally posted by A face
with Rennie and Greg in the middle for Waterford, that is one area where they wont have a probelm.

which one is the brains of the operation:confused:

A face
17/03/2004, 1:50 AM
Originally posted by Conor74
though they always slide away when I ask them which Simple Minds album did they find the most introspective...:D

Yeah ... sure Conor ... me too ....

*whispers to other players* .... Lads ... we've got a live one

" Yeah Conor ... to be honest i think they were all great"

*one*

"So ... ahh ...

*two*

"you know .. Simple .... ah ...

*three*

"err ... Minds !! "

*shouts instead of whispering*

" Leg it it ... each man for himself !!!! "

:)

patsh
17/03/2004, 9:52 AM
Well according to the Wahurfort pro on the BTID site,
Alan Scumsucking B@stard did talk to Greg, but Greg will not sign.
This must have seriously confused ratnolds.
Can you imagine what passes for a brain inside that scumbag's head, trying to deal with the concept of a player actually wanting to stay at a club he loves :confused:
I really hope he stays, SOME of us admire and respect Greg...;)

Éanna
18/03/2004, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Well according to the Wahurfort pro on the BTID site,
Alan Scumsucking B@stard did talk to Greg, but Greg will not sign.

Yeah heard that. Apparently the same thing occurred with at least one other player (not from City)