PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Rovers back in Europe?

Pages : [1] 2

Terry
17/01/2010, 9:52 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cork-face-axe-over-missed-payments-2017532.html?

according to this if cork fail to get their licence sligo get their place in europe because of Cook's PRO licence?

Joxter
17/01/2010, 11:17 AM
Wow, that would be great if it happens. Would love to see them have another crack at europe after the disapointment of last year

LondonRover
17/01/2010, 1:13 PM
I wouldn't go getting any hopes up over this.

But................................it would be fantastic if it happened! :p

rovers100%
17/01/2010, 6:15 PM
lets have a good season this year and get into europe on merit and not by others faultering then we know are progressing as a club. really want a top 4 finish this year.

Dixie Dean
17/01/2010, 7:17 PM
Would he get it in time though? I think its a long enough process.

Boo_Boy
17/01/2010, 7:29 PM
Would he get it in time though? I think its a long enough process.

Course is 1 year long and 240 hours of study.

Rovers1
17/01/2010, 7:35 PM
Cook's PRO licence?

Does this mean D Brannigan can bring us into Europe too??

avvenalaf
17/01/2010, 7:53 PM
Does this mean D Brannigan can bring us into Europe too??

No, but Dooley can.

DonalE
17/01/2010, 8:03 PM
Dooley can't get a passport though, not after the antics on his last trip abroad

srfc1928
17/01/2010, 8:07 PM
lets have a good season this year and get into europe on merit and not by others faultering then we know are progressing as a club. really want a top 4 finish this year.
Ah feck that, i'd take it with open arms.
I bet you werent saying that last season when we were all sinking the cheap pints in Dubrovnik :p

sligoman
17/01/2010, 8:34 PM
when we were all sinking the cheap pints in Dubrovnik :pOr bringing them back up again on the bus to Albania:D.

MMVIII
17/01/2010, 8:45 PM
Or bringing them back up again on the bus to Albania:D.

I had a lovely splattering of it on my legs. Thanks :)

Captain2007
17/01/2010, 9:37 PM
Course is 1 year long and 240 hours of study.

Cook did his Pro Badge last year with Eddie Gormley ( Bray) & John Devine (Fingal).I would assume that they have received their badges by now! :)

akearins
18/01/2010, 2:27 PM
With Cork city issued with 3 winding up orders last week,debts of anywhere between 600k - €1.5mill and the FAI stating they want Coughlan to step down (which is unlikely as directors are owed money from the club) it looks unlikely they will survive.
However it now rests with the FAI who will accept or reject their budget submissions. It is impossible for them to accept any budget submitted by the club as Tom Coughlan would have had to be aprt of the process and isn't he banned from being a director of a football club by the FAI.
And finally how can the club have tax clearence certificate which is required to get a license.
They survived last time round due to some freakish circumstance but I cannot see them being so lucky this time.
So the prospect of us getting a european spot increases.

tiktok
18/01/2010, 2:33 PM
There's one Europa League place awarded to the FAI Cup.
Sporting Fingal hold and will hold this place regardless.
Cork City's place is based on League position, if tossed out, then Dundalk will get the place.
All this talk of Ian Foster not having a licence is a Red Herring.

akearins
18/01/2010, 2:50 PM
European place for cup is Fingals no argument there.
The other possiblity of us getting it over Dundalk is quote possible as you DO need a pro license or be on the PRO license course

Redie
18/01/2010, 3:40 PM
The other possiblity of us getting it over Dundalk is quote possible as you DO need a pro license or be on the PRO license course

And that's Dundalk into Europe.

akearins
18/01/2010, 3:48 PM
Only if thers one running in the country??????????????

tiktok
18/01/2010, 4:20 PM

Dundalk don't have to have the licence as a club, the manager does.
Managers with the qualification are plentiful.

sligorover
18/01/2010, 6:15 PM
I think what tiktok is suggesting, in an unneccessarily round-about way, is that Dundalk will replace Foster with a Pro licenced manager in order to qualify.

It doesn't matter if anyone else at the club has the licence, has to be the manager.

CarrickFan
18/01/2010, 6:24 PM
What would be the point in replacing the manager for 2 matches with most likely an expensive away trip?

srfc1928
18/01/2010, 6:26 PM
What would be the point in replacing the manager for 2 matches with most likely an expensive away trip?
They would also have to play their home leg in Dublin

Boo_Boy
18/01/2010, 6:39 PM

Have to admit, it would be feckin funny if they did replace Foster just for Europe.

Captain2007
18/01/2010, 6:52 PM
Have to admit, it would be feckin funny if they did replace Foster just for Europe.

Paul Cook is due to pick up his Pro Badge in June.........along with Gormley & Devine the 3 of them did the course together and began the Pro Badge Course last year.
I would imagine they would be allowed to Manage in europe for this current season if any of them were given the opportunity.

Boo_Boy
18/01/2010, 7:14 PM
Paul Cook is due to pick up his Pro Badge in June.........along with Gormley & Devine the 3 of them did the course together and began the Pro Badge Course last year.
I would imagine they would be allowed to Manage in europe for this current season if any of them were given the opportunity.

Cook managed in Europe last season so yeah.

dong
19/01/2010, 1:57 AM
Does anyone in Dundalk have one?

Stan maybe.

Redie
19/01/2010, 8:28 AM
Only if thers one running in the country??????????????

Well if I remember correctly Sean Connor travelled over and back to England to do his.

Straw clutching lads. Dundalk will take the Europe spot.

Guts&Glory
19/01/2010, 9:41 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109&Itemid=110

The current UEFA Pro Licence is running on the following dates:

2009:
March 31/April 1
June 6-10
September 5-7
December 6-10

2010:
January 2010
June 2010

Enrollment on the Pro Licence is by invitation only and requires a candidate to have experience of managing at League of Ireland level or at International level.

sligoman
25/02/2010, 12:57 PM
DUNDALK could lose out on a place in European football next season due to red tape — which could see Sligo Rovers make an unexpected return to Europe, writes Aidan Fitzmaurice.

http://www.dundalkexaminer.com/2010/02/24/dundalk-could-lose-euro-spot/

redobit
25/02/2010, 1:43 PM
Pity we didnt hold on to that 3-1 lead.

avvenalaf
25/02/2010, 2:21 PM
Well if I remember correctly Sean Connor travelled over and back to England to do his.

Straw clutching lads. Dundalk will take the Europe spot.

Yes, I think he stayed with his good friend, Jose Mourhino, when he was over there.

Boo_Boy
25/02/2010, 2:43 PM
Yes, I think he stayed with his good friend, Jose Mourhino, when he was over there.

I hear he makes a fierce omelet.

avvenalaf
25/02/2010, 3:03 PM
I hear he makes a fierce omelet.

Eggs and wine gums?

Mayo Red
25/02/2010, 6:37 PM
Eggs and wine gums?

It's Mick McCarthy's favourite too!!;)

Mayo Red
25/02/2010, 6:39 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us being given the Europa spot to be honest.

bingoballs
25/02/2010, 7:23 PM

Does Roddy Collins have a PRO liscence. I heard he is lookin for a job

sligorover
25/02/2010, 7:40 PM
Pity we didnt hold on to that 3-1 lead.
Thats it right there, we didn't earn a europa place.Hopefully we can earn a place for next season on the pitch, but its rightfully Dundalk's spot this time round

Best of luck to Dundalk if they do get it, they've represented the country in Europe very well in the past and I'd love to see them do well.

sligoman
25/02/2010, 7:57 PM
Who cares about whether we earn it or not, I want another European trip!

redbuli
25/02/2010, 8:37 PM
Thats it right there, we didn't earn a europa place.Hopefully we can earn a place for next season on the pitch, but its rightfully Dundalk's spot this time round

Best of luck to Dundalk if they do get it, they've represented the country in Europe very well in the past and I'd love to see them do well.

not too pushed about it, although if we do get the spot i won't feel too sorry for them, we should be in europe anyway had it not been for that 'penalty' in the final, plus at oriel when they had three sent off and the ref bottled it with the blatant handball from the cross

when does it get decided? draw isnt until July, Dundalk could have Foster sacked by then

forza rovers
26/02/2010, 6:53 AM
Does Roddy Collins have a PRO liscence. I heard he is lookin for a jobi dont think he has on either

akearins
26/02/2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.thebitored.com/?p=1166

1st time post
27/02/2010, 12:10 AM
I brought this up a while back but remember the year shels were demoted after our first year back in the Premier, Pats were awarded the following years European spot{and setanta spot iirc} on the basis of been the beaten Cup finalists even tho we finished ahead of them in the League and were next in line for a European spot. On that basis, would we not be next in line now regardless of all this talk of Pro licences??

shep
27/02/2010, 12:14 PM
http://dundalkfc.com/news/100227_Europa.asp

Red4Eva
09/03/2010, 9:16 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/dundalk-get-europa-okay-2092348.html

red_away
09/03/2010, 1:16 PM
I have no ill will against the dunnies but it was nice of delaney to help....I'm sure he would have helped us the same way!

Now what will happen in tonights kangaroo court about ....I cant bring myself to mention the w4nk3rs name...I'm sure they will give a fair hearing to both clubs sides of the argument and award Shams costs and the player and fine us for bringing the game into disrepute!!!

Good luck to the lilywhites in europe!

CarrickFan
09/03/2010, 3:12 PM
Foster still has to pass the course!!!

jinxy lilywhite
09/03/2010, 3:46 PM
Foster still has to pass the course!!!

no foster has to be actively involved in the course. So enrolment AFAIK will suffice.

Ezeikial
09/03/2010, 6:05 PM
no foster has to be actively involved in the course. So enrolment AFAIK will suffice.

Completing the course is not a requirement for this seasons UEFA Club licensing, nor is enrollment enough - the course has to have actually commenced. This is not a problem as the English FA course he has been accepted for, starts in June. Foster is well covered. The game is over - Dundalk as 4th/5th place finishers will compete in Europe.

bingoballs
09/03/2010, 7:04 PM
best of luck to Dundalk anyway, hopefully it will be us next season.

Martinho II
10/03/2010, 10:29 AM
Completing the course is not a requirement for this seasons UEFA Club licensing, nor is enrollment enough - the course has to have actually commenced. This is not a problem as the English FA course he has been accepted for, starts in June. Foster is well covered. The game is over - Dundalk as 4th/5th place finishers will compete in Europe.

whats your chances of getin the game played in oriel exeikial? I read an interesting fact in one of the papers that Dundalk havent played in Europe in Oriel in twenty years.. In 1995 they played in united park and 2001 in tolka park...