PDA

View Full Version : St Pat's 1-1 UCD

pineapple stu
15/03/2004, 12:44 PM
UCD finally got a pre-season result in an improved performance in Richmond Park on Friday night in a fairly even game which saw the comeback of Charles Livingstone.

Pat's started stronger and could have taken the lead early on when a drive from the edge of the area was just over, while Neil Gallagher made a good save from a Pat's player clean through, although the forward should have done better with the chance. But UCD got back into the game and could have taken the lead themselves when Bambi Gallen was put through by a trademark Robbie Mac overhead, but under pressure shot inches wide.

In the second half, and UCD came more into the game and took a deserved lead around the hour mark, when Robbie Mac headed a corner back across goal and Robbie Martin beat the keeper to head home from two yards for his second goal of pre-season.

There were chances to add to the lead - Seán Finn, whose set pieces caused trouble all night - shot just wide from 20 yards - but Pat's had the last say with about five minutes remaining when Tony Bird met a cross at the far post, and his shot went in off the unfortunate Pat McWalter, though it may well have gone in anyway.

Overall, a much improved performance again, and one which gives a bit more confidence for the coming season.

Team -
------------------------Gallagher
Sullivan--------Foley----------McAuley----------Davey
McWalter-----McNally--------Finn--------------O'Donnell
-----------------Martin----------Gallen

Subs used -
Gannon
Mahon
Kenna
Purcell
And two thers I can't remember

Subs not used -
Cash (Freshers' keeper)
Gaffney

Tony Mac was rested, while Darren Quigley was away with the Irish Colleges team again.

Dodge
15/03/2004, 2:20 PM
Bit biased there...

Though both teams were poor, the ref was atrocious and can only remember 6 chances in the game 4 of them for us...

John83
15/03/2004, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Bit biased there...

Though both teams were poor, the ref was atrocious and can only remember 6 chances in the game 4 of them for us...
Anyone remember Houllier defending Liverpool's style with the fact that they'd had twenty shots on goal in a 0-0 draw? :D

Pats sucked, no more than we did, but they deserved nothing more than the draw.

pineapple stu
15/03/2004, 4:32 PM
Bit biased there...

Tried to be fair...

Youz were well on top first half-hour, we came more into it after that, draw was fair. Have to spice the game up someway!

Dodge
15/03/2004, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by John83
Pats sucked, no more than we did, but they deserved nothing more than the draw.
Absolutely. We didn't deserve any more than that just reading the piece I thought stu was saying that UCD deserved to win.

Draw the right result...

At least we scored against you this time...

pineapple stu
16/03/2004, 12:27 PM
I thought stu was saying that UCD deserved to win.

We deserved to score when we did, but overall a draw was fair.

Incidentally, how do you only remember two chances for us all game when there were three in the match report? Didn't read it very well, did we?!;) And we had another two that I remember too.

Schumi
16/03/2004, 12:36 PM
Maybe you have differing ideas on what constitutes a chance!

pineapple stu
16/03/2004, 12:47 PM
Well, there was the goal, Bambi Gallen's shot just wide, that scramble on the line, Seán Finn's shot just wide and Tadhg Purcell's shot just after they scored when either side of the keeper would have been 2-1. Sound like chances to me!

Dodge
16/03/2004, 12:56 PM
I never said they didn't happen, I just said I didn't remember them...

pineapple stu
16/03/2004, 12:58 PM
So you don't remember the match, but yet call my report biased? Interesting!