PDA

View Full Version : The Faroe Islands

jebus
13/01/2010, 12:10 AM
Anyone been? Any advice?

Also how the hell do you get there? Was just on Atlantic Airways website looking for flights in March to travel at the same time the missus is out of the country (she's off to Vegas, I'm looking for at the Faroes, there's something not quite right about that) but apparently they don't run in March despite them saying they do a flight a day from the UK :confused:

Their website is rubbish though so wouldn't be surprised if that's wrong

pineapple stu
13/01/2010, 9:02 AM
You fly via Stansted (I think - schumi'll correct me :o) But they may be seasonal flights. Check out Atlantic Airways' wikipedia page, which may have more info. Alternatively, I think there's year-round flights via Aberdeen, Bergen or Copenhagen. Or get the boat, which takes longer. Flights can be diverted to Bergen because of fog. Bergen's a lovely spot too though, so no massive loss if you end up there for a break instead.

Lovely place. May get a bit boring if you're not into walking and scenery and the likes. Mykines is supposed to be lovely (probably won't get there in the weather in March), Klaksvík looks stunning, Café Natúr in Tórshavn is good for a few beers (pretty much legendary pub after the 2005 away game), Eidi and Gjogv are nice spots, the cliff tours from Vestmenna are good. A lot of stuff mayn't be running in March though; again, depends on the weather. Local transport is by bus or helicopter - the latter looks fun!

Basically, for stuff to do, google photos of the Faroes. You'll get numerous stunning landscape photos. If you like what you see, go. If you want more, don't bother. Here's a good start (http://faroeislands.dk/pages/index.htm); here's google images (http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=faroe%20islands&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi).

Schumi
13/01/2010, 12:08 PM
You fly via Stansted (I think - schumi'll correct me :o)

Stanstead yeah, not Gatwick. :D You can only fly from Stanstead in the summer as far as I remember, you have to go from Denmark for the rest of the year.

The scenery is stunning and the people are great crack, it might be a bit cold in March though. My advice would be to hire a car and stay in a few different places, pineapple can recommend a good steak restaurant.

pineapple stu
13/01/2010, 12:13 PM
SMy advice would be to hire a car and stay in a few different places, pineapple can recommend a good steak restaurant.
Good call. Definitely hire a car; you'll get around most of the country that way. Bus transport is similar to bus transport here outside the main Bus Éireann lines (although maybe a bit more reliable).

Myself and Bald Student cycled from the airport up to Eidi. When we got there, we found our camping site and went into the hotel next door. We asked for a menu and were told "There's no menu, only steak." It may be one of those meals where just everything goes right, or it may have helped that we were knackered after cycling 25 miles up and down hills with rucksacks on our backs, but it was superb. One plate of steak with pepper sauce, one plate of veg - potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower - one plate of chips, a jug of water and a can of beer. Just superb.

In the chipper in Oyrargjogv or somewhere en route, we got burgers with red cabbage and breadcrumbs in them. So food's a mixed bag.

jebus
13/01/2010, 12:19 PM
Cheers guys. Taking in scenery is kinda what I'm after so I'll look in to the Faroes more,it does look stunning up there alright. I think they have summer football as well, must dash and check to see if the fixtures are out so I can take in a game

pineapple stu
13/01/2010, 12:23 PM
They do, yeah. All weather pitches too, so games should be on. Surprisingly good standard. Often, you'll get a couple of games on one day, so check times too. We (myself, Bald Student and Ash; schumi arrived at the final whistle...) went to a second division game in Tórshavn (the reserve teams of the big two, HB and B36), which was preceeded by an U-14 final which was actually hugely entertaining. No charge for either of them; may be a charge for top flight games.

If you're in Eidi, you have to walk down to their ground (http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/FAI/Eidi.html)...

There's a brewery and pub in Klaksvík (http://www.ijon.de/foroyar/images/i-klaks.jpg) too. A lot of smaller towns won't have much in the way of facilities. Midvagur, for example, has a camping site and a pizzeria and that's it.

ifk101
13/01/2010, 12:31 PM
If it's any help, Altantic Airways fly daily to the Faroes from Copenhagen.

SAS and Norwegian travel regularly enough between Dublin and Copenhagen.

Paulie
13/01/2010, 12:32 PM
We flew via London (can't remember which airport) and Billund in Denmark if that's of any help. As far as I remember the most direct way of going was via Aberdeen. It didn't suit for the match though so we had to get 3 flights instead of 2.

OneRedArmy
13/01/2010, 12:41 PM
I think the 3 or 4 pubs in Torshavn and the one in Klasvik are the only places in the whole islands that have alcohol. Have an amusing memory of Maribor, myself and hangers on going into a hotel in Runavik for lunch and finding out the town was completely dry.

Where you can get beer, the local Foroyar brewery beers are fantastic (Black Sheep and Ships Oil being two of their better brews).

I'd say the "cheapest" way to get there will be via Copenhagen (from Dublin via SAS or Norwegian and then on with Atlantic). I'd budget E500 for the flights, its savage expensive getting there. I'm not sure I'd get the ferry in March unless you have a serious stomach for it.

Its certainly worth visiting, I've never felt quite so remote, although looking back over the photos the scenery actually isn't unlike West Donegal (heavy skies, green hills and craggy coastline with dark seas, wet, lots of sheep). People have the usual Scandinavian reserve, but open up when you talk to them. After 5 days we were treated like locals in Cafe Natur.

We went in June, at the same time as Stu, and it certainly didn't feel like summer then. I was going to say that March could be hit and miss, but I think the whole year is hit and miss. Don't underestimate the chance of fog closing the airport. As Stu says, its closed so much that planes always carry enough fuel to make the full return journey back to Denmark or Norway in case they can't land.

I don't want to put you off, just make sure you're going in with your eyes open so to speak.

jebus
13/01/2010, 3:02 PM
Cheers for all the info lads, just saw flights going out at the end of March for 8 nights for 324euro from stansted return, which sounds like a good deal judging by the comments here

Whats the cost of living like there? What sort of budget would you recommend for a guy who would mostly be spending his time checking out scenery and just relaxing mostly?

pineapple stu
13/01/2010, 3:25 PM
Pints were E7/E8 or so. Camping's dirt cheap if you dare. Don't know if that constitutes relaxing though. Generally, it's expensive enough as almost everything has to come into the country.

Ash
21/01/2010, 11:11 AM
Forza B36