PDA

View Full Version : First Division Odds

LFC-Zulu
12/01/2010, 3:23 PM
Okay, I'm sure there's a few First Divison fans wanting to know their odds, and since I can't find a link, just get your opinions out here;
Now, with licensing it's gonna be tricky, but lets take for granted the teams will be:

Athlone
Bray
Derry
Finn Harps
Longford
Limerick
Mervue
Monaghan
Salthill
Shelbourne
Waterford
Wexford

weecountyman
12/01/2010, 4:08 PM
Okay, I'm sure there's a few First Divison fans wanting to know their odds, and since I can't find a link, just get your opinions out here;
Now, with licensing it's gonna be tricky, but lets take for granted the teams will be:

Athlone
Bray
Derry
Finn Harps
Longford
Limerick
Mervue
Monaghan
Salthill
Shelbourne
Waterford
Wexford

Derry at 7/4
Shels 2/1
Bray 6/1
10/1 bar

If Cork are sent down, unlikely at this stage as the FAI need at least one big "country club" outside the Pale, then they'd be joint 2nd favourites with Shels.

GlasnevinRed
12/01/2010, 4:15 PM
Wouldn't have us in with that much of a chance to be honest. If the season starts the way last season ended (under the same set-up), we'll be lucky to make the playoffs. I'd have Waterford up there definitely.

Schumi
12/01/2010, 4:21 PM
Shels and Waterford would have to be contenders based on last year. If a Derry team ends up there, they'd be my favourites. Bray look like being like us at the start of last year with lots of players leaving, they mightn't have the same quality of young players coming through though so I wouldn't see them winning it.

abcd
12/01/2010, 4:21 PM
Waterford seem to be strengthening their squad and they were very competitive last year. It'll be interesting to see how Limerick fare. Alll immaterial really until the licensing process is completed.

Raheny Red
12/01/2010, 5:13 PM
Derry at 7/4
Shels 2/1
Bray 6/1
10/1 bar

If I get 10/1 on WUFC I'll be doing cartwheels.

Cuyahoga
12/01/2010, 6:21 PM
I fancy limerick and wexford youths to give it a good go this year>

LFC-Zulu
12/01/2010, 11:31 PM
Whatever about Limerick this year, Wexford are financially gutted and I can't even see them finishing midtable.

John83
12/01/2010, 11:33 PM
Whatever about Limerick this year, Wexford are financially gutted and I can't even see them finishing midtable.
Surely that doesn't affect an amateur side that much? Have they lost many players?

LFC-Zulu
13/01/2010, 12:44 AM
Surely that doesn't affect an amateur side that much? Have they lost many players?
Connor Sinnott and Peter White, two of their best, if not their two best.

Sam_Heggy
13/01/2010, 8:46 AM
Connor Sinnott and Peter White, two of their best, if not their two best.

Is Sheehan on his way back to ye also?

bluewhitearmy
13/01/2010, 8:47 AM

Very unlikely. Word is that he will stay with Wexford.

Jofspring
13/01/2010, 8:48 AM

No supposedly he is not on his way anymore. According to a few Wexford fans they are losing a few players though so this might hit them a bit. They'll still do alright though.

Sam_Heggy
13/01/2010, 8:52 AM
If Lims were to sign a player along the lines of Sheehans ability up front (ala what O'Flynn done at the tail end of the season) then by the looks of it they could be in line for a play-off spot.

joeSoap
13/01/2010, 9:15 AM
If Lims were to sign a player along the lines of Sheehans ability up front (ala what O'Flynn done at the tail end of the season) then by the looks of it they could be in line for a play-off spot.

Well, a lad called Shane Clarke has signed from junior circles and he will score goals in the division. I wouldn't rate him as highly as I would Gary Sheehan, but he will do a job nonetheless. Scully has a full pre-season this time, and has been given all the support and backing he has requested so the club hasn't been in better shape in the run up to a season in a very very long time. Over to to you Mr. Scully....

Jofspring
13/01/2010, 9:24 AM

I'd like to think we'll be one of the better teams in the division this season. In saying that Shels, Waterford, Monaghan will be handy sides and who knows what kind of teams Derry and Bray will have, they will be fairly good too i would presume. Lots of teams will be taking points off each other in this division this year so it might come down to how the top teams get on against the teams that will struggle this year. Scully seems to want to give winning the league a right go this year which is a good attitude to have. Play offs would be brilliant.

Bluebeard
13/01/2010, 9:27 AM
I'd say 3 to 1 on for there being a First Division this year.

joeSoap
13/01/2010, 9:47 AM
It's got to include Cork City. I can't see any way they'll get a premier licence after what they've been up to.

Mr A
13/01/2010, 9:48 AM
To be honest, even giving them a D1 license would seem wrong, and an insult to the clubs in there that at least try to do things properly. Most of the licensing requirements aren't hugely different between the divisions so they shouldn't default to a D1 license merely because they fail the premier one.

JC_GUFC
13/01/2010, 9:51 AM
If I get 10/1 on WUFC I'll be doing cartwheels.

Wexford Utes is it?!!

bluewhitearmy
13/01/2010, 11:06 AM
Well, a lad called Shane Clarke has signed from junior circles and he will score goals in the division. I wouldn't rate him as highly as I would Gary Sheehan, but he will do a job nonetheless. Scully has a full pre-season this time, and has been given all the support and backing he has requested so the club hasn't been in better shape in the run up to a season in a very very long time. Over to to you Mr. Scully....

Have to disagree with that id rate him higher then Gary. Shane has the same style as O'Flynn and if he gets his head right could be just as good. Not saying your wrong just have a different opinion.

adamski8
13/01/2010, 8:32 PM
I fancy limerick and wexford youths to give it a good go this year>
yeah wexford aint gonna do much this season which is a pity cause we've been getting better every season before this

LK37oldskool
19/01/2010, 12:22 PM
Derry at 7/4
Shels 2/1
Bray 6/1
10/1 bar

If Cork are sent down, unlikely at this stage as the FAI need at least one big "country club" outside the Pale, then they'd be joint 2nd favourites with Shels.

Makin Derry favourites is very strange when we dont know for sure if they'll even be in our div. As it stands they dont have more than dozen players signed,mostly from there youth team and they'll be part time this season also.Not really contender material.

Sam_Heggy
19/01/2010, 1:41 PM
Whats the odds on first division sides that play by the book getting fooked over by the FAI and folding mid-season?

Mad Moose
19/01/2010, 10:35 PM
Makin Derry favourites is very strange when we dont know for sure if they'll even be in our div. As it stands they dont have more than dozen players signed,mostly from there youth team and they'll be part time this season also.Not really contender material.

I would have thought it was strange thinking about Derry as likely contenders. Nothing in the signings so far suggests a good strong squad forming there and looking to Institute for your squad doesn't add weight to the case for them at all.

Where has Conor Sinnott gone to then? It'll be interesting to see the make up of the division in due course.

dancinpants
19/01/2010, 10:46 PM
I would have thought it was strange thinking about Derry as likely contenders. Nothing in the signings so far suggests a good strong squad forming there and looking to Institute for your squad doesn't add weight to the case for them at all.

Doherty, McCallion, McLean, Deery, Farren? Yip you're right lad, nothin' to see here. :D

**FrOsTy**
19/01/2010, 11:02 PM
With us already after signing Chris Konopka, Liam Kearney, Gareth Cambridge and the possibility of signing Davin O Neill, Greg O Halloran and hopefully if the rumors are true the re-signing of Graham Cummins on top of the players from last year like John Kearney, Kevin Murray, Alan Carey, Paul McCarthy, Sheamus Long, David Grincell and Willie John Kiely (When on form) I think we'll be very strong title contenders.

Kildareman
20/01/2010, 10:46 AM
Clubs in the First Division this year will find it a lot easier financally than last year.
With Sporting Fingal and UCD promoted and Derry, with possibly Cork entering the Division the attendances will increase massively.
The total of both Fingal and UCD together would struggle to hit the 100 mark.
Clubs will be very anxious to see if they get Derry at home twice or travel twice to Derry.

corkharps
20/01/2010, 12:18 PM
With us already after signing Chris Konopka, Liam Kearney, Gareth Cambridge and the possibility of signing Davin O Neill, Greg O Halloran and hopefully if the rumors are true the re-signing of Graham Cummins on top of the players from last year like John Kearney, Kevin Murray, Alan Carey, Paul McCarthy, Sheamus Long, David Grincell and Willie John Kiely (When on form) I think we'll be very strong title contenders.

Ye also have one of the best managers in the league,I think Waterford will be there or very close behind. Depending of course on how much cheating is allowed by the bigger clubs!

adamski8
21/01/2010, 8:26 AM
Where has Conor Sinnott gone to then? It'll be interesting to see the make up of the division in due course.
st. pats

JimmyJuice
22/01/2010, 11:37 AM
Derry are puttin together a good squad, think they will do it