PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best Manager NOT working right now?

weecountyman
12/01/2010, 2:47 PM
Just had coffee with an old schoolfriend who was talking about how he went for a trial with Athlone Town, spent a week there and said how Mick Leech was the best man manager he'd known (and we played under a couple of good ones together). I got to thinking on the way home of managers who are out of work in Ireland and who fell off the merry-go-round and those who are always named in the media linked with a job. So, who is the best manager not working right now?

Personally I'd go for Rico, but I never followed a club he managed and only met him socially.

passerrby
12/01/2010, 2:52 PM
louis walsh

PartySaint
12/01/2010, 2:53 PM
Would be Rico for me aswell, He was my number one choice for the Saints job when Kenna left

danthesaint
12/01/2010, 3:06 PM
Would be Rico for me aswell, He was my number one choice for the Saints job when Kenna left

agree, would have been interested to see how things went had he took the job

Dundalkjames
12/01/2010, 3:07 PM
Trevor Anderson

SkStu
12/01/2010, 3:11 PM
agree, would have been interested to see how things went had he took the job

Rico would be my choice if Nutsy left/leaves.

shep
12/01/2010, 3:16 PM
Not saying he is the best out of work...but was always surprised that Martin Murray never got back involved in management at some level.He won the cup with us the year we got relegated,and had got us promoted before our relegation.

Bluebeard
12/01/2010, 3:20 PM
I think most challenging team would like Rico as he knows how to turn a good team into a winning team - look at Cork City. Dunno how he'd be with a team of relegation scrappers or a "transitional" side, or heaven forfend, a First Division side - how did he do at Cobh?

I had a sneaking liking for Harry McCue at Drogheda, who vanished without a trace, I think after he set up the professional managers association. Any thoughts on him as a manager from the Drogs?

DmanDmythDledge
12/01/2010, 3:33 PM
Rico without doubt.

Rocky77
12/01/2010, 3:52 PM
Jim McLaughlin I would say....

OK, he's retired so not linked with anything but hje would be the ebst manager not working right now

thischarmingman
12/01/2010, 4:03 PM
Mark Hughes?

weecountyman
12/01/2010, 4:05 PM
Following on from Jim McLaughlin I'd go for Turlough O'Connor. Okay, he's a good man to bring in players and get a winning system, but as Bluebeard mentioned, he might not get the best out of relegation fodder.

Maybe it's too soon, but I'd also throw Paul Doolin into the mix, if only to see if he's a good coach for a lower end side.

harry crumb
12/01/2010, 4:17 PM
Rico.

His teams try to play good passing football.

This seems to be lost on most of the managers in this league.

pineapple stu
12/01/2010, 4:19 PM
I'd also throw Paul Doolin into the mix, if only to see if he's a good coach for a lower end side.
We've seen it. He's not.

osarusan
12/01/2010, 4:23 PM
Danny Drew.

Doomofman
12/01/2010, 4:24 PM
Jeff Kenna :D

abcd
12/01/2010, 4:24 PM
Pat Dolan and Roddy

Mayo Red
12/01/2010, 4:28 PM
Rico would be my choice if Nutsy left/leaves.

So you're saying you'd give your left Nutsy for Rico then??;):D

ndrog
12/01/2010, 4:33 PM
I think most challenging team would like Rico as he knows how to turn a good team into a winning team - look at Cork City. Dunno how he'd be with a team of relegation scrappers or a "transitional" side, or heaven forfend, a First Division side - how did he do at Cobh?

I had a sneaking liking for Harry McCue at Drogheda, who vanished without a trace, I think after he set up the professional managers association. Any thoughts on him as a manager from the Drogs?

Harry mc cue was very well liked in these parts .Hes working for the fai at underage level as far as i know .

Dillonman
12/01/2010, 4:42 PM
Jim Gannon is unemployed!!

Cosmo
12/01/2010, 5:14 PM
Harry mc cue was very well liked in these parts .Hes working for the fai at underage level as far as i know .

Yeah have to agree with that - Harrry did a great job with us, had us playing some nice stuff and had a good eye for players!!

Was always surprised he never went back into management (but as ndrog said, hes doing well for himself anyway)

boneym
12/01/2010, 5:35 PM
Not saying he is the best out of work...but was always surprised that Martin Murray never got back involved in management at some level.He won the cup with us the year we got relegated,and had got us promoted before our relegation.

Murray was lucky when we won the cup, Kilkenny should of bet us in the first round ( I think). His training methods were held in Dublin which were a farce ( sorry Maxi). Thats when he bothered to turn up to a training session.

Dillonman
12/01/2010, 5:54 PM
Murray was lucky when we won the cup, Kilkenny should of bet us in the first round ( I think). His training methods were held in Dublin which were a farce ( sorry Maxi). Thats when he bothered to turn up to a training session.

He went through some amount of players!

Onefootednopace
12/01/2010, 5:57 PM
Rico for me, City were great to watch during his two spells in charge at the club.

avvenalaf
12/01/2010, 7:48 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the best manager not working today.....

Drum Roll.........

SEANIE FITZPATRICK

joema
12/01/2010, 8:11 PM
Pat Dolan.

No question. Brilliant manager.

eamo1
12/01/2010, 8:14 PM
Tony Mannion for me.If he had had the same budget Tony Cousins had a few years ago with us we'd be in the top 2 or 3 every season.In his training session's he just ran the players for a few hour's,did very little ball work with them,yet they still played good tactics.Also, any player who pulled out of a challenge was taken off without hesitation.
He is managing an FAI development squad now.

Weatherman
12/01/2010, 9:02 PM
Pat Devlin!!

sheao
12/01/2010, 9:37 PM
Has to be Rico . He was by far the best manager that City have ever had.

neutrino
13/01/2010, 10:43 AM
Jeff Kenna :D

he's not managing but is working for birmingham city as a community coach. he's applied for the kidderminster harriers job.

Sam_Heggy
13/01/2010, 11:04 AM
Felix Healy

WoodquayBoy
13/01/2010, 11:10 AM
Usual suspects mentioned - Rico, Mannion, McLaughlin. Would also mention John Gill - I know he is an assistant, but think we did a great job with Dundalk.

Dillonman
13/01/2010, 12:49 PM
Usual suspects mentioned - Rico, Mannion, McLaughlin. Would also mention John Gill - I know he is an assistant, but think we did a great job with Dundalk.

He did and is a bit of an unsung hero in these parts!

marinobohs
13/01/2010, 1:52 PM
Pat Fenlon.....

Yea, because he is DEFFO going to Dundee Utd.:D

Dalymountrower
13/01/2010, 3:37 PM
.... watch this space..... :cool:

Gosh, doesn`t that inside track get vey lonely sometimes?

marinobohs
13/01/2010, 3:38 PM
.... watch this space..... :cool:

hmmmmmm doesn't sound as definite as last week (or as you were on the Deegan (non) fee ) and we know how those two worked out :D

seand60
13/01/2010, 3:49 PM
Jimmy Jackson.

James
14/01/2010, 3:27 AM
rico by a mile

Martinho II
14/01/2010, 9:54 AM
rico for me plus fat dolan..

Mad Moose
14/01/2010, 7:05 PM
Trevor Anderson

Aah yes Trevor Anderson. :D What was his nickname again, if any?. There's something telling me he had one that may have tickled me at the time. I do remember that 'Anderson out' banner too.

Two managers linked with Finn Harps at one time or another in the noughties. Harry McCue and Jimmy McGeough.

I liked Felix Healy and thought he deserved more time at Finn Park. I'd add Rico to the list aswell.

Cuyahoga
15/01/2010, 7:35 PM
Paul Doolin has a good record 1 league 1 f.a.i cup 3 SEtanta cups.
Dont rate Damian Richardson,hes had his day

L.T.F.C.
16/01/2010, 12:39 PM
Roddy Collins will always be on this list.

A face
17/01/2010, 10:47 PM
Paul Doolin has a good record 1 league 1 f.a.i cup 3 SEtanta cups.

And

Dont rate Damian Richardson, hes had his day

What are you thinking man? You 'rate' Paul Doolin listing his achievements and then you 'dont rate' Rico who has a far superior tally to his name and plays, without doubt, a far superior brand of football? Something doesn't add up.

The Lilywhites
17/01/2010, 11:15 PM

I'd go with Gill too.

juan
18/01/2010, 11:25 PM
Rico now but a few weeks ago it would've been Roddy. I mean the man brought began the path to stability to Rovers, has nurtured numerous of star players, Bohs double, never been relegated, fantastic dress sense, top guy, best in the business. Now who can spot the sarcasm?