PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames

kingdom hoop
12/01/2010, 1:20 PM
I love nicknames: usually they're somewhat insightful, and they offer great opportunity for puns. Anyway, the reason for the thread...

I've noticed during the media coverage of the African Nations that teams are regularly referred to by their nicknames. This is not such a common practice when European national teams are playing (for example, you rarely hear England called "The Three Lions" or us "The Boys In Green" - and I'm not even sure what most European countries' nicknames are), nor can I think of nicknames for South American teams (especially famous teams like Brazil, Argentina). Indeed, the only nicknames that spring immediately to my mind are Socceroos (Oz) and Bafana Bafana (South Africa).

So I'm just wondering is this some mild ploy by media contributors to make the African teams somehow more interesting; or is it that African countries are somewhat distinct and genuinely are commonly referred to by their nicknames?

Anyone have any insight or other thoughts on this exciting matter?

Schumi
12/01/2010, 1:27 PM
My impression is that African teams use nicknames more than European teams. Australia and New Zealand have nicknames for loads of their national sports teams. The New Zealand basketball team being the Tall Blacks is comfortably the worst one though!

kingdom hoop
12/01/2010, 1:45 PM
My impression is that African teams use nicknames more than European teams.

Is this impression based on anything much?

The New Zealand basketball team being the Tall Blacks is comfortably the worst one though!

The Flying Kiwis would be a good one. :)

Nice widening of the discussion though Schumi, other sports can be instructive. For example, South Africa also have popular nicknames for their teams in rugby (Springboks) and cricket (Proteas), so it's no surprise if their football team does.

The BIG question is: WHY?

superfrank
12/01/2010, 2:54 PM
Is this impression based on anything much?
Off the top of my head, I know several of the nicknames: the Super Eagles (Nigeria), the Eagles (Mali), the Pharaohs (Egypt), the Elephants (Ivory Coast), Bafana Bafana (South Africa), the Squirrels (Benin), the Indomitable Lions (Cameroon), the Black Stars (Ghana) and the Leopards (DR Congo).

All that's come from reading about African football or watching it.

Considering I live in Europe and am subject to a lot more news on European football, I couldn't tell you the nicknames for as many countries. Off the top of my head I know the Three Lions (England), the Boys In Green (Ireland), the Azzuri (Italy) and the Oranje (Holland). I don't know any others.

I think it is just a part of their football culture (like the much-loved vuvuzela) to use nicknames more frequently than Europeans.

HarpoJoyce
12/01/2010, 3:40 PM
Off the top of my head, I know several of the nicknames: the Super Eagles (Nigeria), the Eagles (Mali), the Pharaohs (Egypt), the Elephants (Ivory Coast), Bafana Bafana (South Africa), the Squirrels (Benin), the Indomitable Lions (Cameroon), the Black Stars (Ghana) and the Leopards (DR Congo).

All that's come from reading about African football or watching it.

Considering I live in Europe and am subject to a lot more news on European football, I couldn't tell you the nicknames for as many countries. Off the top of my head I know the Three Lions (England), the Boys In Green (Ireland), the Azzuri (Italy) and the Oranje (Holland). I don't know any others.

I think it is just a part of their football culture (like the much-loved vuvuzela) to use nicknames more frequently than Europeans.

Diables Rouges for Belgium (maybe countries have to have a period of being good before a nickname sticks). In Europe aswell being able to pronouce the country in it's original language is an achievement.
It certainly reduces the National Importance when Burundi (Les Hirondelles/The Swallows) play Benin (Les Écureuils/The Squirrels). So the sky may not fall in if a TV pundit throws a pen across the room at half-time.

Maybe use the original names, I know Simba(s) is a better term for DRC. Also many countries have French language terms. On hearing Togo were Les Eperviers (The Sparrowhawks) I went looking for a country with 'The Sparrows'/Les Moineaux/Les Piafs. Could only find some club sides.

English clubs have gone out of their way to give themselves locally associated nicknames. Many now have several they gathered over the years. So the tradition comes from Europe.
I think in Europe there is a back-lash to the mainstream, it may seem uncool to refer to a patronising nickname.

old git
12/01/2010, 8:20 PM
I love nicknames: usually they're somewhat insightful, and they offer great opportunity for puns. Anyway, the reason for the thread...

I've noticed during the media coverage of the African Nations that teams are regularly referred to by their nicknames. This is not such a common practice when European national teams are playing (for example, you rarely hear England called "The Three Lions" or us "The Boys In Green" - and I'm not even sure what most European countries' nicknames are), nor can I think of nicknames for South American teams (especially famous teams like Brazil, Argentina). Indeed, the only nicknames that spring immediately to my mind are Socceroos (Oz) and Bafana Bafana (South Africa).

So I'm just wondering is this some mild ploy by media contributors to make the African teams somehow more interesting; or is it that African countries are somewhat distinct and genuinely are commonly referred to by their nicknames?

Anyone have any insight or other thoughts on this exciting matter?

the red devils( man utd) the hammers ( west ham ) gunners/ gooners ( arsenal )
villians ( aston villa ) trotters ( bolton) blues/pensioners ( chelsea ) magpies (newcastle) cottagers (fulham) pompey (portsmouth) to name a few nicknames for english teams
jamaca ( the reggae boyz), france ( les bleus)

Pauro 76
13/01/2010, 2:25 PM
Sunderland - the Black Cats. I think it's a relatively recent nickname, can never recall that nickname floating around twenty years ago. Not many Irish club nicknames...

Bluebeard
13/01/2010, 2:51 PM
Not many Irish club nicknames...

What are you talking about?

I've seen the Blaas play against the Scum, Bogford, Them Dublin Lousers, Them Cork Langers, The Sheepshaggers, The Queen's Brigade, Franchise, the Young Boys, and the Students.

Mayo Red
13/01/2010, 5:53 PM
What are you talking about?

I've seen the Blaas play against the Scum, Bogford, Them Dublin Lousers, Them Cork Langers, The Sheepshaggers, The Queen's Brigade, Franchise, the Young Boys, and the Students.

Not forgetting the old Continuity Home Farm or the Krusties!!

twoenz
14/01/2010, 8:43 AM
Sunderland - the Black Cats. I think it's a relatively recent nickname, can never recall that nickname floating around twenty years ago. Not many Irish club nicknames...

Sunderland used to be the Rokerites, and then when they moved to the Stadium of Light they polled their fans to see which nickname they wanted to choose.

endabob1
15/01/2010, 12:37 PM
Bafana Bafana translates as the Boys the Boys, there are other names for the underage teams, my favourite being the U23/Olympic team referred to as Amaglug-glug which apparently is just a play on words from an advert.
The Proteas & the Springboks are named after the respective emblems, although the Bok’s shirt now has both the protea & a bok. Interestingly, after the end of Apartheid it was planned that all SA teams would wear the Protea (national flower) as their emblem and be referred to as the Proteas Cricket, Proteas Rugby, Proteas Soccer but after winning the 95 RWC the Springboks lobbied to be allowed keep their name and the plan slipped on to the back burner. It gets raised every now and again and is met with a huge outcry from the Rugby supporting fraternity, but it’s why the Rugby shirt carries both emblems. The Rugby body normally cite the use of the Bafana name as a reason why they should be called the Springbok’s. Iirc the cricket team used to be called the Springboks too, but they changed with the end of Apartheid, open to correction though.

stojkovic
17/01/2010, 4:07 PM
Les Diablos Rouge - Belgium
Nationalmannshaft - Germany
Selecao - Brasil and Portugal
Azzuri - Italy
Magyers - Hungary
Les Blues - France
Oranje - Holland

Truth Meister
17/01/2010, 4:30 PM
Les Diablos Rouge - Belgium