PDA

View Full Version : RTE News Crapness

dahamsta
11/01/2010, 12:48 PM
Is it just me or does RTE regularly completely overwrite news stories with others? In the past week I've clicked on two stories from their RSS feed only to find completely different stories when I get to their site. Today, for example, a story about FG demanding that the schools reopen was replaced with a story about O'Keefe saying the schools will. That's just so not how to do news like!

Mr A
11/01/2010, 1:25 PM
I've noticed that too. Instead of a new page they just edit the old one. Depressingly lazy really.

osarusan
11/01/2010, 2:34 PM
To be fair, it is not just RTE. The BBC have done it for years, although much less recently. It's especially annoying because the link was in a lighter shade of blue, indicating that I've already looked at the page, whereas the content has been revised (maybe completely) since.

I actually emailed the BBC roughly a year ago about it, but never got a reply.

dahamsta
11/01/2010, 3:30 PM
I thought the BBC updated their articles rather than overwriting them, which is the correct way to do it.

dahamsta
19/01/2010, 12:34 PM
I think I'm going to use this thread as a placeholder for all RTE crapness. For example:

New bill requires criminals to give DNA sample (http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0119/dna.html)

The Government has published the bill establishing a national DNA database, which enables DNA samples to be taken and retained from suspects in serious crime.Dear RTE. A suspect is not a criminal. Get a dictionary.

Magicme
19/01/2010, 1:04 PM
For a different slant on the news you could check out www.notthenuacht.com

:D

dahamsta
19/01/2010, 1:12 PM
I take your point Rory H, but it's a misleading headline and an example of terrible editing. Which was my point.

the 12 th man
19/01/2010, 1:42 PM
They ran a story on the main evening news about a week ago about the troubled 3G http://www.3g.ie/ business going pear shaped and then showed footage of a http://www.three.ie/ 3 Ireland(phone service providers)
shop.

They issued a cringing apology.

dahamsta
19/01/2010, 2:21 PM
I noticed at the time, thought there was somethind odd about it but then assumed it was right when I saw the number of stores. I've never seen one, so I assumed it was Three's outlets. Idiots.

Macy
22/01/2010, 10:29 PM
One to add - Sean O'Rourke asking Joan Burton today why she wasn't raising the property tax breaks during the boom. Either he is losing his memory as she's been going on about for years, or it's just another example of RTE bias designed to feed into the "they're all the same" bs that FF love in times of them getting hammered.

bennocelt
22/01/2010, 11:27 PM
As V Browne mentioned in his show - interesting to see RTEFF's new reporter O Brien out in Haiti

NeilMcD
24/01/2010, 12:07 PM
Give me RTE over TV3 anytime. I think all in all RTE do a pretty good job on the news and current affairs front I must say.

osarusan
24/01/2010, 12:17 PM
RTE in general -

Their inability to run scheduling on time is something really irritating. A program will be 3, 5, 7, maybe even 10 minutes behind schedule with no comment or apology.

dahamsta
24/01/2010, 12:44 PM
Farmers in West Mayo do a better job of anything than TV3.

NeilMcD
24/01/2010, 1:35 PM
RTE in general -

Their inability to run scheduling on time is something really irritating. A program will be 3, 5, 7, maybe even 10 minutes behind schedule with no comment or apology.

I think the fact you have noticed this says more about you possibly than about them. What difference does it make if its a few minutes late, its not a train after all, and if its not a live show it makes no difference.

Magicme
24/01/2010, 3:42 PM
I think the fact you have noticed this says more about you possibly than about them. What difference does it make if its a few minutes late, its not a train after all, and if its not a live show it makes no difference.

Aw it does make a difference if you series link something and coz RTE are late with it the programme stops recording before its over and you miss the best bits/cliffhanger! Really annoying.

dahamsta
24/01/2010, 4:28 PM
What Magicme says. Happens all the time. Get with the times NeilMcD. :)

Magicme
24/01/2010, 4:30 PM

Have just PrtSc this moment to save for posterity. Dahamsta agreed with me on something! Whooohooo! :D

NeilMcD
24/01/2010, 8:13 PM

Just change the setting so that you can record ten mins either side of the programme.

dahamsta
24/01/2010, 8:44 PM
Because fast-forwarding through 10 minutes of crap for every programme on every other channel because of the incompetence of RTE is great fun. Where do you get this stuff? :rolleyes: Does your mind really work in this positively weird way, or are you just belligerent for the fun of it? If the former, you should seriously seek help, and I'm not being funny when I say that; if the latter then, well, if that's you're idea of fun, I feel sorry for you.

NeilMcD
24/01/2010, 8:50 PM
Ehm probably because little thins in life dont annoy me that much and I know whats important and somebody being diagnosed with cancer or somebody having an serious accident is important. RTE shows runing a few minutes over time is not important.

I think its you that may need help there cause that last post was very OTT and a bit weird to be honest.

Macy
24/01/2010, 9:45 PM
Give me RTE over TV3 anytime. I think all in all RTE do a pretty good job on the news and current affairs front I must say.
If TV3 was my benchmark, I'm sure I'd agree.

Dunny
24/01/2010, 9:49 PM
It's amateur stuff, I was listening to a report and she came out with "a male man"...

osarusan
24/01/2010, 10:32 PM
I think the fact you have noticed this says more about you possibly than about them.
It definitely says more about them.

Ehm probably because little thins in life dont annoy me that much and I know whats important and somebody being diagnosed with cancer or somebody having an serious accident is important. RTE shows runing a few minutes over time is not important.

This is in an RTE-titled thread the non-football section of a football website. I don't expect my post to make a difference to RTE. It doesn't have to be a major annoyance for me to post it there.

RTE running shows a few minutes over time is irritating, that's all I said. If for example a film is announced at starting at 9pm, and the next program starting at 11pm, you have two hours to fill. The film is...say, 104 minutes long, so you allow for 16 minutes of ad breaks and no more than 16 minutes. It's not hard to do, but they just couldn't be bothered. It irritates me.

Fr Damo
25/01/2010, 8:41 AM
I remember in my youth watching Trevor McDonald at ten instead of Anne Doyle at 9 cos the news was just more interesting (or maybe dumbed down for the viewers but that's another storey!)
IMO RTE do a reasonable job, some good reporters like The legal affairs reporter Eillis O Donnell who did a geat Job on the E Lillis / Cawley trial during the week. She had obviously just come out of the court and did a three minute piece without qustions from the studio. You could see her turn the pages in her note book as she went through the piece though never once looked down.

What gets me more than RTE's lateness though is the bloody sat channels who schedule an hour for a 40 min programme and fill the gaps with ad slots. Sky 1's first ad break is generally 6 mins past the hour and gets on me t!t$!
RTE do ok though I listen to more radio than watch TV.

Magicme
25/01/2010, 9:01 AM
Just change the setting so that you can record ten mins either side of the programme.

That takes up more of my storage space on my sky+ box and when I go away on holidays or for a few days I need all the space I can get. Also as Adam said, its a pain having to fast forward through loads of ads etc and the idea behind Sky + is to make tv viewing easier and less hassle.

Agree that its not a major thing in comparison to Haiti or illness but its still something annoying that could be removed easily.

corkboy360
25/01/2010, 9:34 AM
How can ya show a guy falling on ice without making a comment.:confused:

peadar1987
25/01/2010, 5:44 PM
How can ya show a guy falling on ice without making a comment.:confused:

It's still dangerous for Dublin pedes... WHACK!

corkboy360
26/01/2010, 11:19 AM
Why would ya hire these people and put them on telly:confused:

George Hook
Eamonn Dunphy
Pat Kenny
Ryan Tubridy
Louis Walsh

P.S Great crack listening to Pascal Shehee on the news though:p

Being Lazy and letting BBC record Mrs.Browns Boys Live then showing it themselves.

bennocelt
26/01/2010, 12:52 PM
I remember in my youth watching Trevor McDonald at ten instead of Anne Doyle at 9 cos the news was just more interesting (or maybe dumbed down for the viewers but that's another storey!)
IMO RTE do a reasonable job, some good reporters like The legal affairs reporter Eillis O Donnell who did a geat Job on the E Lillis / Cawley trial during the week. She had obviously just come out of the court and did a three minute piece without qustions from the studio. You could see her turn the pages in her note book as she went through the piece though never once looked down.

Very few IMHO - watch the BBC or Channel Four news for real style news reporting -
Pascal Sheey, Charlie Bird, Paul Reynolds (The well known A** licker - as known via V Browne) and Sean Whelan (FF Economic expert!) = AWFUL

juan
27/01/2010, 11:34 AM
RTE in crap viewing shocker!

endabob1
27/01/2010, 12:55 PM
You have it easy, here in sunny South Africa we have either SABC (RTE equivalent) or DSTV (Sky equivalent) so far this year...
SABC Cut off before the announcement of the winner of in the final of Survivor before coming back after an ad break with the reunion show get together, chatting to the winner having missed the whole climax to the series! Oh but then then showed that segment afdter the Reunion show!!!
SABC Routinely cut programming of a series mid season, the last was Heroes but they regularly run over time and programmes start either early or late.
DSTV is marginally better but at 500zar (about 45Euro) a month it should be but even that has but off half way through an episode of South Park and is routinely out of synch on it's prgramming but it seems unable to get the sound and pictures in harmony (not sure on the technical terms) but I assume they must play the picture & sound seperately and they always seem to be marignally (and some times very clearly) out.
Their moment of comedy gold this year was the pop idol final where they announced the winner live on Sunday night and then on Monday announced that they mis-counted the votes and the other guy had really won, honestly they can rig an election here no problem but try to get them to count tv show votes and it's a problem!!!

monutdfc
28/01/2010, 7:11 PM
David Murphy is absolutely terrible - regurgitates press releases without challenge. George Lee would have been more value to his country where he was instead of as Dail vote fodder

Macy
29/01/2010, 7:19 AM
David Murphy is absolutely terrible - regurgitates press releases without challenge.
Is that not RTE editorial policy, rather than the journalist (particularly post Lee jumping ship)? My recollection of him when he was on Newstalk is that he was ok (his business show was at least listenable which is more than can be said for most).

weecountyman
31/01/2010, 7:04 AM
Since RTE are beholden, to a large degree, to the good grace of the ruling regime (at present the FF-Green-Monster Loonies) it doesn't pay to go mad or too independent. In fairness RTE does have quality news programming but even with George Lee, when you have an economist trading on his celebrity (ditto 3-card Hobbs and David McWilliams) objectivity is always in question.

geysir
01/02/2010, 12:40 PM
That takes up more of my storage space on my sky+ box and when I go away on holidays or for a few days I need all the space I can get. Also as Adam said, its a pain having to fast forward through loads of ads etc and the idea behind Sky + is to make tv viewing easier and less hassle.

Agree that its not a major thing in comparison to Haiti or illness but its still something annoying that could be removed easily.

Just to clarify/improve/alter Neil's advice,
tune the settings to start a recording Automatically and set the 5 mins at the end of the recording.

Even with the recording set to start Automatically,
I have not found one program recorded from ANY channel that has started simultaneously with the start button.
F Forwarding at 12x/30x to the beginning of the program is a pre viewing habit with most every recorded program from every channel.

Macy
04/02/2010, 9:06 AM
Sean Whelan? Economics Editor? I guess having an actual economist didn't work out too well for the Government last time round...