PDA

View Full Version : Kerry County Team to join League?

culloty82
06/01/2010, 8:18 PM
http://www.kerryman.ie/sport/soccer/okeeffe-continues-to-lead-kerry-soccer-from-strength-to-strength-2001001.html

A short extract from a Kerryman interview with Sean O'Keeffe, chairman of the KDL, raises many interesting questions:

In 2010 the KDL are to look at every avenue to put a Kerry team whether at senior or youth level in a national competition O'Keeffe says.
" We will be starting a consultation process with all clubs in the county so that we can put all our heads together and vet the best way to pursue this objective.
"At present the FAI are planning to revamp national competitions and it could open the door for a Kerry side to play at National level. It looks as if a Youth Team (under 19) would be the best alternative at this point and time but all suggestions will be given consideration.
"Kerry teams done so well in the Eircom League and EA Cup and our priority will be to getting a Kerry team together to play at national level.

The impression you get is that the Youth team would test the waters for entering the A Championship, but it's highly doubtful that two senior Kerry sides would be viable at national level.

Dillonman
06/01/2010, 10:13 PM
Will this have implications for Tralee?

Acornvilla
06/01/2010, 10:24 PM
Will this have implications for Tralee?
maybe theyl change their name to kerry county or somthing?

limfan
07/01/2010, 12:48 AM
http://www.kerryman.ie/sport/soccer/okeeffe-continues-to-lead-kerry-soccer-from-strength-to-strength-2001001.html

A short extract from a Kerryman interview with Sean O'Keeffe, chairman of the KDL, raises many interesting questions:

In 2010 the KDL are to look at every avenue to put a Kerry team whether at senior or youth level in a national competition O'Keeffe says.
" We will be starting a consultation process with all clubs in the county so that we can put all our heads together and vet the best way to pursue this objective.
"At present the FAI are planning to revamp national competitions and it could open the door for a Kerry side to play at National level. It looks as if a Youth Team (under 19) would be the best alternative at this point and time but all suggestions will be given consideration.
"Kerry teams done so well in the Eircom League and EA Cup and our priority will be to getting a Kerry team together to play at national level.

The impression you get is that the Youth team would test the waters for entering the A Championship, but it's highly doubtful that two senior Kerry sides would be viable at national level.

A very positive from a Kerry point of view. With the stadium already there with floodlights, all weather pitch and top facilities that have all been paid for it seemed as it was only amatter of time that Kerry as a whole go into the EL.

As for Tralee Dynamos i think its a blow for them, i reckon its gna be down to the players weather they want play for tralee or kerry IF the two teams are in the one league.

Its gna be an interesting few weeks to say the least.

fionnsci
07/01/2010, 11:37 AM
where are the kerry team based? Killarney? If so, it might work as I doubt Tralee would have gotten much support from Killarney folk anyway.

limfan
07/01/2010, 12:32 PM
where are the kerry team based? Killarney? If so, it might work as I doubt Tralee would have gotten much support from Killarney folk anyway.

They are based in Tralee, when kerry first entered the EL u-21 league they were getting huge crowds averaging around 700 each home game and that was only u-21. I dont think support will be an issue

tralee_dynamo
07/01/2010, 4:44 PM
The Kerry District League are after missing the boat on this one in my opinion. They should have entered a team into the A championship a few years ago but didnt. There is animosity between the KDL and Tralee Dynamos for years and I couldnt see Tralee Dynamos and Kerry merging into a single team.

Also, due to the fact that Dynamos would not play with Kerry, I couldnt see Kerry being a dominant force as most of the best players in Kerry play with Dynamos!

Finally in relation to support, the crowds with Kerry a few years ago in the U21 league were good - until the novelty wore off that is. Kerry is a huge GAA stronghold and the crowds at both Kerry League U21 and Dynamos in the A championship the last few years are proof of that!

Dillonman
07/01/2010, 7:21 PM
The Kerry District League are after missing the boat on this one in my opinion. They should have entered a team into the A championship a few years ago but didnt. There is animosity between the KDL and Tralee Dynamos for years and I couldnt see Tralee Dynamos and Kerry merging into a single team.

Also, due to the fact that Dynamos would not play with Kerry, I couldnt see Kerry being a dominant force as most of the best players in Kerry play with Dynamos!

Finally in relation to support, the crowds with Kerry a few years ago in the U21 league were good - until the novelty wore off that is. Kerry is a huge GAA stronghold and the crowds at both Kerry League U21 and Dynamos in the A championship the last few years are proof of that!

There seemed to b a decent few at that match that MNS did the piece on!

tiktok
07/01/2010, 7:28 PM
Dynamos already have a licence to play in the A Chanpionship and to be honest I can't see the FAI issuing a second licence in Kerry ( though I suppose if you were to look at the GUFC, Salthill, Mervue situation anything could happen).

I'd agree that there's little chance of Dynamos becoming the KDL representative side or undergoing a name change.

culloty82
07/01/2010, 9:17 PM
Kerry's Eye have followed up on the story today, confirming a motion to enter the Youth League will go before Monday's KDL meeting. Dynamos are safe as the sole Kerry A League team for 2010, but the very fact that the KDL are going national again means nothing can be ruled out for the 2011 season. Of course, when the league review will be finished by then, the bottom half of this year's First Division could provide opposition for Dynamos at least.

kingdomkerry
09/01/2010, 12:26 PM
A kerry county team in the loi is something i have been calling for for some time. Do it like the gaelic footballers. Pick the best team from the clubs to represent their county on a national level. Leave Dynamos do what they want. They will get very little support from people outside their members.

culloty82
10/01/2010, 8:25 AM
Kerry should have gone senior in 2008 as they had planned - after years of experience in the u-20 league, that team would surely have finished higher than Mervue and so Mounthawk would now be facing into its second season of First Division football. Everyone just wants to see full League football in the county, but why should Dynamos have to abandon two years of hard graft if a Kerry County FC does eventually go senior?

kingdomkerry
10/01/2010, 2:08 PM
They shouldn't ]. If there are three galway teams I don't see why they cant be 2 kerry teams. tralee dynamos and kerry. Would make a good derby in the A league.

fionnsci
10/01/2010, 2:22 PM
They shouldn't ]. If there are three galway teams I don't see why they cant be 2 kerry teams. tralee dynamos and kerry. Would make a good derby in the A league.

3 Galway teams is a complete disaster so don't use it to justify two Tralee teams. The FAI never should have put the LOI in the position of potentially having three Galway teams nor should they do it for multiple Tralee teams.

tiktok
10/01/2010, 2:51 PM

Kerry can't support two LOI teams nevermind Tralee on it's own.
The pool of potential supporters, sponsors, merchandise purchasers etc., is too small to just drop a brand new side in on an small enough catchment area. Dynamos are an established club and have a youth structure and pre-existing support base.

Salthill Devon and Mervue are two very well run clubs with their own income streams, you weren't dropping what's essentially a new entity in there which would be the case with one. If you look at the recent LoI history of manufactured clubs, where entities Were dropped in without proper planning e.g. Kildare County and Dublin City, there are clear issues in attracting support and making something sustainable, even in more populous catchment areas than Tralee. The Sporting Fingal effort is obviously much more cash rich and as a results they've bought on-field success, but how sustainable they are with a low triple figures fan base is a serious concern.

Let's see a sustainable Dynamos in the 1st division before second rival clubs are even considered

kingdomkerry
11/01/2010, 1:47 AM
There's more towns in kerry than tralee

tiktok
11/01/2010, 9:01 AM
There's more towns in kerry than tralee

I'm well aware of that, there seemed a preference that both teams would be based out of Tralee. Anyway, like I said in the first sentence of my post "Kerry can't support two LOI teams....". The rest of the points I made in that post are still valid.

I don't see Killarney, Listowel or Castleisland supporting an LoI team longterm either, despite the strength of the game in terms of playing numbers and clubs in those areas. You can't just drop a brand new club into a region.

limfan
11/01/2010, 1:39 PM
Kerry should have gone senior in 2008 as they had planned - after years of experience in the u-20 league, that team would surely have finished higher than Mervue and so Mounthawk would now be facing into its second season of First Division football. Everyone just wants to see full League football in the county, but why should Dynamos have to abandon two years of hard graft if a Kerry County FC does eventually go senior?

Dynamos do not have to abandon their hard graft but lets just look at some facts.
Dynamos would have to spend a substantial amout of money for the generator they have always needed for night games. Build seating in the stands and most importantly get the supportors up there. 100-200 fans will not be enough to keep a club goin in the first division, plus transport and all the others.
A Kerry County Team would have in place already a 500 seater stadium with floodlights, an all weather training surface, all round good facilities and they in my opinion would easily have 400-600 ppl if they were in the 1st Division so i think sponsorship and co wouldnt be that hard to get.

One way or another i for one hope that there will be one team playing 1st Division in Kerry weather it be Dynamos or a Kerry County team. Its been a long time coming and i hope we dont miss the boat AGAIN.

tralee_dynamo
11/01/2010, 6:49 PM
Dynamos do not have to abandon their hard graft but lets just look at some facts.
Dynamos would have to spend a substantial amout of money for the generator they have always needed for night games. Build seating in the stands and most importantly get the supportors up there. 100-200 fans will not be enough to keep a club goin in the first division, plus transport and all the others.
A Kerry County Team would have in place already a 500 seater stadium with floodlights, an all weather training surface, all round good facilities and they in my opinion would easily have 400-600 ppl if they were in the 1st Division so i think sponsorship and co wouldnt be that hard to get..
Totally disagree here. Firstly Dynamos are after a fantastic first year in the A championship. The club are going from strength to strength as we speak. Back that up with the club now entering a LOI U19 team - some club infrastructure there now. The facilities will come as well for the club, as will 1st division football in my opinion - its just a matter of time!

The crowds were disappointing this year, no doubt about that but look at LOI team all over the country - crowds are away down, even for the Kerry U21 team last year - crowds away down on previous years.400-600 no chance in current environment!

Dynamos are going about this the right way in my opinion. Lessons were learned from experience in the MSL a few years ago. Tralee Dynamos is being managed right, working well within their means and a solid foundation is now being laid for Dynamos to be a successful and stable club in the LOI.

On a final note, there are alot of begrudgers in Kerry (which is disappointing) since Dynamos have joined the A championship, especially in the Kerry District League/Lisselton Rovers camp - but this just spurs people involved with the club on even more

limfan
11/01/2010, 7:05 PM
Totally disagree here. Firstly Dynamos are after a fantastic first year in the A championship. The club are going from strength to strength as we speak. Back that up with the club now entering a LOI U19 team - some club infrastructure there now. The facilities will come as well for the club, as will 1st division football in my opinion - its just a matter of time!

The crowds were disappointing this year, no doubt about that but look at LOI team all over the country - crowds are away down, even for the Kerry U21 team last year - crowds away down on previous years.400-600 no chance in current environment!

Dynamos are going about this the right way in my opinion. Lessons were learned from experience in the MSL a few years ago. Tralee Dynamos is being managed right, working well within their means and a solid foundation is now being laid for Dynamos to be a successful and stable club in the LOI.

On a final note, there are alot of begrudgers in Kerry (which is disappointing) since Dynamos have joined the A championship, especially in the Kerry District League/Lisselton Rovers camp - but this just spurs people involved with the club on even more

Everyone is entiltled to their opininon.

I think that a Kerry County Team set up is ready and for Dynamos yes i agree it will take time and admire the infrastructure that club is gearing towards and hope that someone goes in to the EL 1st Divsion. Only time will tell.

Yes it is dissapointing the way the county seems to be divided in support for Tralee, i get the feeling is more to do with jealousy more than anything.

paudie
11/01/2010, 8:44 PM
I thought Dynamoes were playing A champ games in the KDL grounds. Do they have their own ground separate from the KDL ground?

culloty82
12/01/2010, 8:23 AM
Dynamos pitch is literally right beside the KDL ground, so if they eventually get into the First Division, they'd only have to move next door while bringing their own infrastructure up to standard. At least when the A league deadline passed months ago, both sides have the whole of this season to come to some arrangement about their relationship. Maybe Kingdom Boys could stand down from the youth league and Kerry would then act as the feeder club. Neither group would be happy, but it's probably the only solution that would work long-term.

chimpster
12/01/2010, 1:54 PM
[QUOTE=culloty82;1304685]Dynamos pitch is literally right beside the KDL ground[QUOTE]

Ah yes, only in Ireland do we manage to make sure that every club has its own (often substandard) facilities instead of sharing decent municipal stadia in each town... KDL & Dynamoes & Stack Pk, Turners X & Musgrave Pk & Parc Ui Rinn/Chaoimh, Jackman Pk & Thomond Pk & Gaelic Grounds... The list is endless, and its all down to idiots on committees who can't see past their own noses. :mad:

Rant over.

culloty82
14/01/2010, 5:33 PM
Dynamos have now registered in both competitions for the coming season, they say they'll welcome Kerry in the youth league as it will draw good crowds. The battle is now on to decide who plays on Friday nights as the KDL say that the crowds dropped when they were forced to change, and when they're holding up Wexford and Carlow as their models, the coming months should be very interesting.

kerryfan
15/01/2010, 9:40 AM
Dynamos have now registered in both competitions for the coming season, they say they'll welcome Kerry in the youth league as it will draw good crowds. The battle is now on to decide who plays on Friday nights as the KDL say that the crowds dropped when they were forced to change, and when they're holding up Wexford and Carlow as their models, the coming months should be very interesting.
To all people from outside Kerry soccer circles....KDL will not have a team in the U19 league this year or any year in the near future. They are only saying this to try and stop the growing support for Tralee Dynamos and also trying to stop players signing before the transfer deadline.. Dynamos have already received a licenece and the KDL have no even applied. I know all people involved in both sides and I know for 100% that the KDL have no intensions top join the LOI at any level. They had plenty of opertunities in the past to join and refused to do so. They missed the boat big time and it is only right that Tralee Dynamos get full credit for what they have done for soccer in Kerry.

tralee_dynamo
15/01/2010, 4:36 PM
To all people from outside Kerry soccer circles....KDL will not have a team in the U19 league this year or any year in the near future. They are only saying this to try and stop the growing support for Tralee Dynamos and also trying to stop players signing before the transfer deadline.. Dynamos have already received a licenece and the KDL have no even applied. I know all people involved in both sides and I know for 100% that the KDL have no intensions top join the LOI at any level. They had plenty of opertunities in the past to join and refused to do so. They missed the boat big time and it is only right that Tralee Dynamos get full credit for what they have done for soccer in Kerry.
100% agree here - all talk but no action!

culloty82
16/01/2010, 8:55 AM
At least that issue has been cleared up once and for all, good to be able to put a line under the thread. On a different note, now that Cork look certain to be wound up, would the FAI ask the A Championship teams to apply or is it up to the individual clubs to decide what they do next? Admittedly either a new Cork team or Cobh would probably be chosen, but all the A teams will have to at least consider it in a few weeks time.

limfan
16/01/2010, 12:28 PM
At least that issue has been cleared up once and for all, good to be able to put a line under the thread. On a different note, now that Cork look certain to be wound up, would the FAI ask the A Championship teams to apply or is it up to the individual clubs to decide what they do next? Admittedly either a new Cork team or Cobh would probably be chosen, but all the A teams will have to at least consider it in a few weeks time.

Would it be too late for Dynamos if asked to go First Division coz there wud be a hell of a lot of work to do in a short space of time.. maybe a succesfull A championship campaign would be the platform to leap into the first division next season.. seems the smart and not rushed way to do it and with players to join the team by the sounds of it will give any D1 team a game?

culloty82
17/01/2010, 4:21 PM
This time it's more about the principle, little point in having a pyramid if teams just bypass it by replacing themselves. Not just Dynamos but any A team should apply, but Castlebar seemingly aren't interested and it's hard to see Carlow or Tullamore applying either, so only Dynamos, Cobh and FORAS would meet all the criteria. Of course the main focus would be to build on last year and get promotion in the A league, but would do them no harm to fill out the forms if the time came just to show their intent, even if more than likely it all came to nothing, because they wouldn't be any worse off.

culloty82
19/01/2010, 5:34 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to delete this thread, last night's KDL meeting rubber-stamped Kerry Youths. A meeting next week between the FAI and all clubs involved will finalise the format, but it's expected the two Kerry teams will be in a section with Limerick, Cork, Cobh, Waterford, Wexford and Carlow.

kerryfan
20/01/2010, 7:50 AM
Just when you thought it was safe to delete this thread, last night's KDL meeting rubber-stamped Kerry Youths. A meeting next week between the FAI and all clubs involved will finalise the format, but it's expected the two Kerry teams will be in a section with Limerick, Cork, Cobh, Waterford, Wexford and Carlow.
FAI will not leave 2 Kerry teams in the youths league. That's for sure. It will only be Dynamos and the KDL are only trying to stop players joining Dynamos. By saying that they might have a team, means clubs will ask players not to transfer and before they know it, the transfer window will be closed. Beleive me, this is what is happening as the KDL have no intensions of joining the LOI.

keeffoq
20/01/2010, 1:47 PM
Think it should be a team from Killlarney really especially with the set up killarney celtic have

legendkiller
24/01/2010, 12:38 AM
Is their enough quality players in Kerry for one or two teams in this U18/19 league . I know Dynamos had a good season but underage football is different.

culloty82
24/01/2010, 8:27 AM
That's the major question in Kerry too, everyone agrees that one team should enter, but both camps in Kerry soccer are now committed, even when it makes no sense to have two local sides in direct competition. It's also why I posted this thread in the A Championship section, because if Kerry start this year, in future years they could go senior like Carlow. Thankfully, they don't have any plans made for now, only Dynamos would ever be a runner at that level when they started first.