PDA

View Full Version : Salthill Devon promoted?

Pages : [1] 2

London-Irish
04/01/2010, 4:38 PM
Have Salthill Devon been promoted to the LOI? Things have gone very quiet. The last I heard was that the needed to confirm their licence but that was weeks ago. Any confirmation on where they are going to play?

gufc2000
04/01/2010, 4:47 PM
If they get in they'll be playing in Drom I think

Martinho II
05/01/2010, 4:45 PM
If they get in they'll be playing in Drom I think

If thats the case its a good move for them as I dont fancy facing the trek to terryland park on one more occasion plus its a nice new ground to visit. would the locals come out though in Salthill??

weecountyman
05/01/2010, 4:49 PM
There's always been a good history there and years ago I played in the summer festival there. it would certainly add spice to the west!

Riddickcule
05/01/2010, 5:41 PM
Good luck to them anyway, although i don't agree with them being here.

culloty82
05/01/2010, 5:45 PM
They would certainly be very competitive in the First Division, so on balance they should take their chance at the next level. Like Acornvilla though, you'd worry whether they have the support to maintain a club for a 33-game season, and having three clubs (for now) fighting for the same fanbase doesn't help matters, but I could see them finishing comfortably in midtable based on last year.

Paddyfield
05/01/2010, 5:54 PM
There is no stand in Drom although there is a fine clubhouse and large car park.

I will attend their games as I am from Salthill.

Acornvilla
05/01/2010, 6:29 PM
There is no stand in Drom although there is a fine clubhouse and large car park.

I will attend their games if as I am from Salthill.
Good man atleast they have 1 supporter now :D

Schumi
05/01/2010, 6:49 PM
If thats the case its a good move for them as I dont fancy facing the trek to terryland park on one more occasion

You won't be saying that after you try to find Drom. ;)

Paddyfield
05/01/2010, 8:39 PM
You won't be saying that after you try to find Drom. ;)

That's for sure. Terryland is reasonably accessible. Drom is on technically outside the city on a country road in the middle of nowhere. There isn't a shop or pub for miles. My guess is that it is 8km from the Eyre Square/city centre.

Photos here: http://www.salthilldevon.ie/dromphotos.asp

Jofspring
05/01/2010, 8:51 PM
That's for sure. Terryland is reasonable accessible. Drom is on technically outside the city on a country road in the middle of nowhere. There isn't a shop or pub for miles. My guess is that it is 8km from the Eyre Square/city centre.

Thats a seriously impressive set up no matter where it is situated. With facilities like that they deserve to progress.

CarrickFan
05/01/2010, 9:07 PM
Thats a seriously impressive set up no matter where it is situated. With facilities like that they deserve to progress.

Superb facilities in what is really a gaa county(which is great to see:))...hats off to everyone involved with the club..that set up is a credit to you all..best of luck..hope to get down for a look first hand at some stage.

Acornvilla
06/01/2010, 4:10 PM
That's for sure. Terryland is reasonably accessible. Drom is on technically outside the city on a country road in the middle of nowhere. There isn't a shop or pub for miles. My guess is that it is 8km from the Eyre Square/city centre.

wow.....

SkStu
06/01/2010, 4:15 PM
very impressive alright.

Acornvilla
06/01/2010, 4:33 PM
very impressive alright.
how many premier devision clubs have anything even resembling that? all they need is a stand

Martinho II
06/01/2010, 4:42 PM
You

won't be saying that after you try to find Drom. ;)

try me schumi! I thrive in finding grounds!!!:D

Gaillimh Al
07/01/2010, 9:08 AM
Unfortunately the photos, impressive as they are, somewhat fail to convey the stark openness of the countryside around the area which leads to some of the coldest, windiest conditions known to mankind, even in the summer. An awful lot of games played there are affected by strong winds, which is a pity because the pitches are top notch.

I once saw a shot from 40 yards in a junior game, wind assisted, smack the crossbar, float up in the air before being blown back on to the bar, twice. Hit the bar three times in one go. Impressive.

My money would be on them not taking up the offer of First Division football.

Dodge
07/01/2010, 9:36 AM
how many premier devision clubs have anything even resembling that? all they need is a stand

Yep, and some terracing. And a turnstile.

Its a great junior set up, but tis still a junior set up. The spetator facilities are probably the most important thing if they want to become a top level club

Good luck to them though

fionnsci
07/01/2010, 10:46 AM
It just looks like they'd be a great feeder club to United. The same as Mervue. It really is the FAI's fault for allowing this (the first year of the A Championship there were only three teams that could have been promoted and two were from Galway). One of them HAS to get relegated.

dcfcsteve
07/01/2010, 2:47 PM
It just looks like they'd be a great feeder club to United. The same as Mervue. It really is the FAI's fault for allowing this (the first year of the A Championship there were only three teams that could have been promoted and two were from Galway). One of them HAS to get relegated.

The FAI get blamed fro everything on here ! I'm not sure what you wanted them to actually do here though.

Is the introduction of a feeder system for the senior league broadly a positive development for Irish football ? Yes.

Can the FAI magically create or force a better geographic spread of clubs interested in joining the A League ? No.

The FAI can only deal with those who WANT to be in the A League and have the facilities/stability to merit inclusion. They can't just magic clubs up out of thin air to create a better geographical spread, regardless of how desireable it would be.

Sam_Heggy
07/01/2010, 2:52 PM
I hear Devon have purchased a stand and it will be in place for the start of the season.
Looks like they are readying for the 1st Division.

pineapple stu
07/01/2010, 2:54 PM
Can the FAI magically create or force a better geographic spread of clubs interested in joining the A League ? No.
They could do it for the Premier; why not the A League?

fionnsci
07/01/2010, 3:40 PM
I'm not sure what you wanted them to actually do here though.

I wanted them not to put the league in this situation in the first place.

Is the introduction of a feeder system for the senior league broadly a positive development for Irish football ? Yes.

Agreed, I didn't say it wasn't.

Yes but they didn't have to accept all clubs that applied. For the most part it would be unwise to them not to but not in this scenario.

Paddyfield
07/01/2010, 11:37 PM
I hear Devon have purchased a stand and it will be in place for the start of the season.
Looks like they are readying for the 1st Division.

Not true. I have a friend who lives 100 meters from Drom and he and his fellow neighbours are watching every move the Salthill Devon make.

When the club originally purchased the land, the planning process was prolonged by the neighbours. The end result was that there could never be a bar, restriction times on floodlight usage, traffic restrictions etc. The neighbours don't want a stand in Drom and they are monitoring every move that the club make.

Interestingly, Drom is not in Salthill; in fact it is not even in Galway city. Galway County Council are governing council.

Meanwhile in Salthill itself, the GAA operated Pearse Stadium has been wrangled in a long running battle with local residents over the plans to erect floodlight pylons. http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=122200

I don't recall any such woes when any of the other many floodlit facilities in Galway were installing floodlights.

Longfordian
07/01/2010, 11:58 PM
Doesn't sound like a suitable venue for LOI football then despite the pitches etc. You have to have some sort of stand and spectator facilities. I said this on here before some place but as a youngster I played in Drom and it was probably the coldest place I ever played. The wind is seriously strong there. Even colder than Bray which is saying something.

Sam_Heggy
08/01/2010, 3:03 PM
Not true. I have a friend who lives 100 meters from Drom and he and his fellow neighbours are watching every move the Salthill Devon make.

When the club originally purchased the land, the planning process was prolonged by the neighbours. The end result was that there could never be a bar, restriction times on floodlight usage, traffic restrictions etc. The neighbours don't want a stand in Drom and they are monitoring every move that the club make.

Interestingly, Drom is not in Salthill; in fact it is not even in Galway city. Galway County Council are governing council.

Meanwhile in Salthill itself, the GAA operated Pearse Stadium has been wrangled in a long running battle with local residents over the plans to erect floodlight pylons. http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=122200

I don't recall any such woes when any of the other many floodlit facilities in Galway were installing floodlights.

So, if Salthill were to play in the first division it would have to be out of Terryland?
If so does this mean that Galway United will have 3rd preference on the ground?
It all sounds very messy.

Terry
08/01/2010, 8:44 PM
So, if Salthill were to play in the first division it would have to be out of Terryland?
If so does this mean that Galway United will have 3rd preference on the ground?
It all sounds very messy.

3rd? gufc have always got first preference above all else? the galway fa are more involved with gufc than any junior league team. I may be wrong but I think the galway fa have 2 seats on the board of gufc.

Sam_Heggy
08/01/2010, 9:13 PM
3rd? gufc have always got first preference above all else? the galway fa are more involved with gufc than any junior league team. I may be wrong but I think the galway fa have 2 seats on the board of gufc.

Are Salthill and Mervue not affiliated members of the Galway FA? Would that not give them first preference on the ground?
Im just asking not stating that it's true btw.

athloneman
08/01/2010, 9:56 PM
Mervue and Salthill are more entitled to use terryland than Galway are as they pay more into the Galway FA and have a greater share in the Galway FA, but last year anyway Galway United got first choice as they have been there longer than Mervue were. Thats what a friend of mine told me last year anyway, and he is involved with Mervue!!

Paddyfield
08/01/2010, 10:05 PM
Mervue and Salthill are more entitled to use terryland than Galway are as they pay more into the Galway FA and have a greater share in the Galway FA, but last year anyway Galway United got first choice as they have been there longer than Mervue were. Thats what a friend of mine told me last year anyway, and he is involved with Mervue!!

Oh well, can we use Athlone's new stadium so?

Interestingly, Garda riot squad are already preparing for the Galway derby when Mervue and Salthill go head to head next season.

athloneman
08/01/2010, 10:14 PM
im not sure if its 100% true but that what i was told, and he said that info came from some within the galway fa!!i would love to go to that game, was at teh a league game between them in mervue 2 years ago and the crowd was getting right into it, and it was a feisty game!!

dcfcsteve
08/01/2010, 10:42 PM
They could do it for the Premier; why not the A League?

Really ?

I assume you're referring to Galway being kept there at the expense of Dundalk, which is hardly the same as sticking a pin in the map and magicking up a new club out of thin air in the name of regional balance, as is the perennial sentiment from some on here.

gufc2000
08/01/2010, 11:10 PM
Plus the fact that Galway United had to pay way more rent for Terryalnd last year than Mervue. Can't see the Galway FA kicking us out as it would mean a potential loss of income

holidaysong
08/01/2010, 11:51 PM
Really ?

I assume you're referring to Galway being kept there at the expense of Dundalk, which is hardly the same as sticking a pin in the map and magicking up a new club out of thin air in the name of regional balance, as is the perennial sentiment from some on here.

They were put there, not kept there.. Although it's not the same thing as making up a club to give a better regional balance, the IAG process does show that the FAI do (or at least did) consider geography to be a relevant factor.

Population densities were taken into account to assess potential catchment areas for clubs in scoring the attendance section of the IAG process. Altogether this section accounted for 10% of the points.

It just shows what a complete waste of time the IAG process was. The FAI wanted the clubs with the potential for the largest fan bases in the Premier Division and yet three years down the line we end up with UCD and Sporting Fingal in the Premier along with 3 other Dublin clubs (and possibly also Shelbourne if Cork go under) and we get the model club of the IAG process Galway United having two new league clubs right on their doorstep to compete with.

Acornvilla
09/01/2010, 1:13 PM
They were put there, not kept there.. Although it's not the same thing as making up a club to give a better regional balance, the IAG process does show that the FAI do (or at least did) consider geography to be a relevant factor.

Population densities were taken into account to assess potential catchment areas for clubs in scoring the attendance section of the IAG process. Altogether this section accounted for 10% of the points.

It just shows what a complete waste of time the IAG process was. The FAI wanted the clubs with the potential for the largest fan bases in the Premier Division and yet three years down the line we end up with UCD and Sporting Fingal in the Premier along with 3 other Dublin clubs (and possibly also Shelbourne if Cork go under) and we get the model club of the IAG process Galway United having two new league clubs right on their doorstep to compete with.
fingal have massive potential? amd sure ucd should let students of the collage in for 2E or somthing? might get a few more in :D

Sean South
09/01/2010, 2:00 PM
All the best to Salthill next year.

paudie
09/01/2010, 9:49 PM
I'm not familiar with the details but I'd be surprised if Salthill didn't take the oppurtunity of first division football.

They may never get the chance again and if it doesn't work out they can always go back to Junior football.

Patrick Dunne
10/01/2010, 11:59 AM
Galway United have first call on the use of Terryland Park. Last season, when there was a fixture clash, Mervue changed their fixture to Saturday evening.

Acornvilla
10/01/2010, 2:00 PM
if i had somthing to do with the running of salthill i'd take the chance.. if they do well and ome ahead of mervue theres always the possibility mervue could go back junior also so its worth the chance for a season yet.. by next season aftter this one there could easily only be 2 teams again possibly 1 so let them have their chance i say..

Schumi
10/01/2010, 2:07 PM
Unless Mervue improve significantly on the second half of last season, they'll be favourites for relegation with no Kildare, more so if Salthill provide more competition for players. The three Galway teams in the league could well only last for one season.

Acornvilla
10/01/2010, 5:22 PM
Unless Mervue improve significantly on the second half of last season, they'll be favourites for relegation with no Kildare, more so if Salthill provide more competition for players. The three Galway teams in the league could well only last for one season.
is'nt that just what i said?:rolleyes:

Terry
10/01/2010, 6:06 PM

Exactly Schumi,

Anyway, mervue have said that if things (financially that is) don't improve drastically this season they WILL drop out of the league altogether as they cannot afford such massive losses every season. Now, Lets be serious here, how much money can you make in the first division when your only a club that represents a housing estate?

Acornvilla
10/01/2010, 7:15 PM
Exactly Schumi,

Anyway, mervue have said that if things (financially that is) don't improve drastically this season they WILL drop out of the league altogether as they cannot afford such massive losses every season. Now, Lets be serious here, how much money can you make in the first division when your only a club that represents a housing estate?
what if the housing estate is called tallaght?..

abcd
10/01/2010, 8:46 PM
Can't see where Mervue are going to get the improvement from. Ok their players are more experienced at div.1 level now but after a decent start last season they just fell away.With the likes of Athlone and Longford strengthening they are likely to be struggling with Salthill Devon unless the licensing throws up anything strange. :rolleyes:

Terry
10/01/2010, 9:28 PM
what if the housing estate is called tallagh?..

never heard of a place called "tallagh", but Im sure it would be the same?

gufc2000
18/01/2010, 8:11 PM
Salthill Devon are meeting tonight to decide whether or not to enter the League of Ireland

Doomofman
18/01/2010, 8:24 PM
Salthill Devon are meeting tonight to decide whether or not to enter the League of Ireland

In place of? Kildare?

culloty82
18/01/2010, 8:30 PM
I thought they met and signed up for the First Division straight after Kildare folded, it'll be tough to be ready for March if they're only meeting now.

gufc2000
18/01/2010, 9:55 PM
It looks like they'll be joining, but its the ground thats the biggest pitfall. They will not be playing in Terryland, and Drom isin't ready. Although they could always plump for a temporary stand in Drom

Paddyfield
19/01/2010, 6:43 AM
It looks like they'll be joining, but its the ground thats the biggest pitfall. They will not be playing in Terryland, and Drom isin't ready. Although they could always plump for a temporary stand in Drom

The neighbours will go apesh1t :D