PDA

View Full Version : Football's Next Star

Pages : [1] 2

redobit
04/01/2010, 11:24 AM
A new show just started on Sky.

10 teenagers from Britain and Ireland are brought to Italy to compete for a single contract with Inter Milan. It started on Sunday (3rd January) and the first episode seems to be repeated for the rest of the week if you want to watch it.

Though I might post it here as 3 of the 10 young lads that were picked for the trials are from Ireland. Best of luck to them.

drummerboy
04/01/2010, 11:43 AM
Came across this programme last night. They originally picked 40 kids from all over Britain and Ireland. They picked 9 Irish lads for the final trials which were held the UK. They seemed impressed by the standard of players from Ireland as they picked 9 for the final trials, while only picking 4 from Scotland.

Of these, 3 Irish players qualified for the final 10 who go on to Italy for further assessing. They stand out players was a guy named Craig Doyle.

superfrank
04/01/2010, 11:57 AM
Did they say where in Ireland they're from?

Also, how old are these lads?

De Town
04/01/2010, 12:11 PM
I sort of had it on in the background last night. There was a lad called Connor who was from Westmeath. Can't remember his surname, could be Smith maybe? :confused: He was a midfielder. After that I can't remember too much about them. :o

paul_oshea
04/01/2010, 12:48 PM
reality tv for kids. seems a bit too much.

drummerboy
04/01/2010, 12:49 PM
The Doyle lad, I think plays with Cherry Orchard and is about 15-16.
Connor Smyth is from Westmeath. Don know anything about the 3rd lad.

redobit
04/01/2010, 12:58 PM
reality tv for kids. seems a bit too much.

Absolutley, that said it does give you a good insight of how cut-throat the path to becoming a professional footballer can be and how such a small % actually make it to the top.

MickeyEvans
04/01/2010, 1:27 PM
Conor Earley from Greystones is the third lad. Recently had trials for Ipswich as a centre-half but missed out due to height and they picked a Norwegian an inch taller. The hope is he grows a bit more although, despite what seems a skinny frame, he's very strong both physically and technically.

Alf Honn
04/01/2010, 1:35 PM
Came across this programme last night. They originally picked 40 kids from all over Britain and Ireland. They picked 9 Irish lads for the final trials which were held the UK. They seemed impressed by the standard of players from Ireland as they picked 9 for the final trials, while only picking 4 from Scotland.

Of these, 3 Irish players qualified for the final 10 who go on to Italy for further assessing. They stand out players was a guy named Craig Doyle.

Craig Walsh. Capped last season for Ireland U17 and just graduated from the FÁS FAI Programme:

http://www.fai.ie/index.phpoption=com_content&view=article&id=100595:75-players-graduate-from-fas-fai-programme&catid=19:league-of-ireland&Itemid=316

longfordjames
04/01/2010, 2:50 PM
Conor Smith to sign for Watford FC (http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/sport/soccer/articles/2009/12/16/3993494-conor-smith-to-sign-for-watford-fc/)

stiffler
04/01/2010, 6:34 PM
Anyone know when this show is repeated?

bwagner
04/01/2010, 7:40 PM
Was the 3rd lad not named Colton ??? Doyle looked good.

old git
04/01/2010, 9:05 PM
Was the 3rd lad not named Colton ??? Doyle looked good.

yeah gavin colton from kildare

tetsujin1979
04/01/2010, 9:26 PM
best of luck to the Irish lads involved in this show, but just to temper things a little, the player who won the first Football Icon (the previous incarnation of this show) was released after two seasons at Chelsea and is now playing for Welling United
The second winner has fared a little better, and has a contract with Chelsea and has been called into the Northern Ireland U-21 squad
More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Icon

bwagner
04/01/2010, 9:26 PM
Thanks Old git - I hope some of these lads make it

irishultra
04/01/2010, 9:40 PM
looked crap tbh.

Razors left peg
04/01/2010, 9:50 PM
Seems to be very much the same as the Football Icon show that was on a couple of years ago on sky where the young lads were trying to get a contract with Chelsea.Think the lad that wont it the first year is gone out of football again but the lad that won it the 2nd year is still with Chelsea reserves and has played under 21s for Northern Ireland. Seems like its a very good opportunity for them so best of luck to the 3 Irish lads

ConfeyMan
05/01/2010, 3:33 PM
Third Lad is indeed Gavin Colton. He plays at Centre Half for Cherry Orchard's U16 Team

theworm2345
06/01/2010, 6:08 PM
If anyone wants to watch this show PM me, I'll send you some links.

irishultra
06/01/2010, 8:55 PM
none of them will make it with inter i bet you. i know irish mentality, very few irish are like my parents that can adapt in countries where english is not spoken language. you only have to look at our emmigration, there is no irish communities anywhere on mainland europe.

they will probably return home.....to england and play in the third divisions

superfrank
06/01/2010, 9:11 PM
Weren't there the lads at Triestina last year?

Acornvilla
06/01/2010, 9:16 PM
none of them will make it with inter i bet you. i know irish mentality, very few irish are like my parents that can adapt in countries where english is not spoken language. you only have to look at our emmigration, there is no irish communities anywhere on mainland europe.

not many british or irish kids do make it at inter.. not even robbie did granted he wasnt given a fair chance) :)

Razors left peg
06/01/2010, 9:19 PM

lots of "Irish" pubs though :D

EastTerracer
06/01/2010, 9:58 PM

You clearly know very little about "Irish mentality" so you really need to learn a bit more about the Irish diaspora. Apart from ancient history when the Irish traveled across Europe and became key political figures in Spain, Prussia, Russia, Germany and France, during the 1980s a huge proportion of Irish emigration was to the stronger European economies like Holland and Germany. We've already seen some dual nationality players emerge from this and we've discusse this in depth in other threads. Personally I have family members and friends living in Milan, Brussels, Buenos Aires and Sofia.

No place on here for sweeping generalisations about the Irish mentality ....... unless you are yapster, of course :rolleyes:

yapster
06/01/2010, 11:15 PM
You clearly know very little about "Irish mentality" so you really need to learn a bit more about the Irish diaspora. Apart from ancient history when the Irish traveled across Europe and became key political figures in Spain, Prussia, Russia, Germany and France, during the 1980s a huge proportion of Irish emigration was to the stronger European economies like Holland and Germany. We've already seen some dual nationality players emerge from this and we've discusse this in depth in other threads. Personally I have family members and friends living in Milan, Brussels, Buenos Aires and Sofia.

No place on here for sweeping generalisations about the Irish mentality ....... unless you are yapster, of course :rolleyes:

Now Now Mr Happy,;) Seriously this 'diaspora' stuff is pretty lame really. It's true that a lot of Irish people have gone and integrated in foreign lands but this diaspora crap is a joke. After 2 generations the Irishness is gone only to to celebated for one day with a drinkfest. It's funny the Irish going on about diaspora & Irishness when the Island of Ireland is made up from people of other lands down through the ages and today.

SkStu
06/01/2010, 11:25 PM
It's funny the Irish going on about diaspora & Irishness when the Island of Ireland is made up from people of other lands down through the ages and today.

You said you were Irish-American yesterday iirc - i dont think you consider yourself irish at all after reading that which might explain the level of negativity in your posts. Serious WUM here i reckon.

EastTerracer
06/01/2010, 11:27 PM
Yapster, you've described yourself as Irish American in another post so I'd be interested to hear which one really applies. You've told us that players like Townsend and Houghton can't be Irish and English/Scottish so how can you describe yourself as Irish and American?

As for the diaspora I don't think you can speak for anyone but yourself. No doubt there is a dilution of Irishness after a couple of generations but the most relevant example I was quoting above was the Irish people who went to Germany and Holland in the 1980s - there are many many thousands of them still there. I think they might object to you describing the diaspora as "crap".

irishultra
06/01/2010, 11:58 PM

im belgian and irish so i know what i'm talking about. you only have to see people talking about emmigration, despite having free movement in european union you see people mentioning how 'there is no where to emmigrate to'-its not a criticism its just reality, other nationalities are more able to adapt because they didn't have one of the largest economies in the world right next to them that wanted cheap labour.
it doesnt really belong on this forum but its my opinion and i stand by it.

EastTerracer
07/01/2010, 12:06 AM
im belgian and irish so i know what i'm talking about. you only have to see people talking about emmigration, despite having free movement in european union you see people mentioning how 'there is no where to emmigrate to'-its not a criticism its just reality, other nationalities are more able to adapt because they didn't have one of the largest economies in the world right next to them that wanted cheap labour.
it doesnt really belong on this forum but its my opinion and i stand by it.

But I presume you're talking about the Irish people who are still in Ireland - there are hundreds of thousands of Irish people living all over the world (including all across Europe).

How can you say the Irish do not have the mentality to adapt to foreign cultures when a higher percentage of Irish citizens live abroad than the citizens of almost any other European country?

I'm not saying its for everybody which is why there are people in Ireland who say things like you cite above. However, you made the statement about all Irish people though so I thought I had to challenge you.

SkStu
07/01/2010, 12:52 AM
Gary Deegan.

Cancel programming and lock this thread.

yapster
07/01/2010, 1:54 AM
You said you were Irish-American yesterday iirc - i dont think you consider yourself irish at all after reading that which might explain the level of negativity in your posts. Serious WUM here i reckon.

No WUM,

ifk101
07/01/2010, 7:40 AM

I can assure you that you are wrong but posting drivel has become the order of the day here so work away.

weecountyman
07/01/2010, 8:43 AM
From personal experience there are Irish communities alive and well across Europe. In Italy Rome would contain the largest (even removing the religious elements) mostly working in education, finance and business. German cities like Frankfurt have decent sized Irish communities, last time there I was at a function with more than 200 Irish, many of whom were there 5+ years. Then in Moscow you've a large Irish community, many here for over 15years and related to Irish companies doing business throughout the country (including Aer Rianta). In almost every instance the Irish have married into and become a part of the fabric of local society. And in many instances the Irish in countries just drifted off the radar and became fully local.

The biggest, according to the DFA, Irish community in Europe is in Brussels (surprise, surprise) and they lead the way in the Continental GAA stakes. If anyone has ever taken part in these events you'll know the craic that is had, especially when locals try to join in and get leathered by some mucker of a banger from Ballydehob who's sleeping on the floor of the cousins place for the weekend so that he can play.

Wangball
07/01/2010, 9:06 AM

When you next see them make sure and pat your parents on the back for being emmigration super hereoes

The thing that riles me most is that I, like lots of other posters on this board, have in the past lived in Continental Europe, in countries where English is not "spoken language" and I adapted just fine, Members of my own family live in continental Europe and they've adapted just fine also. There are Irish people living all over Europe right now, its just that very few of them are playing football!

And as for saying there are no Irish Communities in Europe, you've obviously never been to Marbella!:D

Razors left peg
07/01/2010, 12:52 PM
When you next see them make sure and pat your parents on the back for being emmigration super hereoes

That comment nearly made me choke on my sandwich laughin :D

I spent 3 months in Sweden last year and there was a very big Irish community there. No matter where u go in the world u will find Irish people living and thriving

Jofspring
08/01/2010, 1:45 PM
Maybe none of them will make it at Inter but it opens up doors for them. Even if they where to only play in a lower English division, they probably would be with a professional club on a professional contract living nice and comfortably making more than most people in regular employment.

Anybody know what happened the guy that won it a few years ago when it was a contract with Chelsea?

irishultra
08/01/2010, 3:14 PM
From personal experience there are Irish communities alive and well across Europe. In Italy Rome would contain the largest (even removing the religious elements) mostly working in education, finance and business. German cities like Frankfurt have decent sized Irish communities, last time there I was at a function with more than 200 Irish, many of whom were there 5+ years. Then in Moscow you've a large Irish community, many here for over 15years and related to Irish companies doing business throughout the country (including Aer Rianta). In almost every instance the Irish have married into and become a part of the fabric of local society. And in many instances the Irish in countries just drifted off the radar and became fully local.

The biggest, according to the DFA, Irish community in Europe is in Brussels (surprise, surprise) and they lead the way in the Continental GAA stakes. If anyone has ever taken part in these events you'll know the craic that is had, especially when locals try to join in and get leathered by some mucker of a banger from Ballydehob who's sleeping on the floor of the cousins place for the weekend so that he can play.

ive never even heard of this tbh. maby it got bigger in last few years :confused:

irishultra
08/01/2010, 3:20 PM

The thing that riles me most is that I, like lots of other posters on this board, have in the past lived in Continental Europe, in countries where English is not "spoken language" and I adapted just fine, Members of my own family live in continental Europe and they've adapted just fine also. There are Irish people living all over Europe right now, its just that very few of them are playing football!

And as for saying there are no Irish Communities in Europe, you've obviously never been to Marbella!:D

my parents adapted just fine but that is a certain type of irish like u and your family. closer to boston than berlin as someone once said

weecountyman
08/01/2010, 3:33 PM
ive never even heard of this tbh. maby it got bigger in last few years :confused:

It's always been pretty big, and when you think of it very clear - EU! You've a large number of Irish working in and around the Parliament and it's attendant departments, added to that families of same and assorted staffers. Then throw in the Irish companies. law firms, lobby firms, tax advisors, Irish governmental and semi-governmental companies plugging Ireland there, and then the normal business, trade and working element and it's very large.

I think the main thing/attraction, which kind of makes you smile, is that english is widely spoken as a second language amongst the EU'ers there.

weecountyman
08/01/2010, 3:41 PM
Should add that very few first generation Irish who left/emigrated were going to try their luck in sport. Those who did (in the 70's/80's) were going to earn a crust and so many more than decent athletes fell through the net. And normally (according to sociological studies) the next generation will be pushed into academics (especially if the parents were trades or lower services) and only those with exceptional abilities are supported. It comes down to the 3rd generation (grandkids) who actually have the comfort zone to focus on less important things like sports (hence we had a blossoming in the 80's and 90's of an Irish diaspora whose grandparents within 10 years either side of the war).

gilberto_eire
08/01/2010, 10:47 PM
Maybe none of them will make it at Inter but it opens up doors for them. Even if they where to only play in a lower English division, they probably would be with a professional club on a professional contract living nice and comfortably making more than most people in regular employment.

Anybody know what happened the guy that won it a few years ago when it was a contract with Chelsea?

Ya it came to my head while watching it there, if i'm not mistaken they had a second series or an update episode on him and i think it was touch and go about even getting a second year, so it wasnt looking good for him tbh

EDIT: Just did a search....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Icon

. The series was won by Chelsea fan Sam Hurrell, who was attending Vyners School. After two seasons in the youth team at Stamford Bridge, Hurrell was released in the close season of 2007. He went on to play for semi-professional teams St Albans City and Welling United.

Ya i think they did a follow up just before he got the second year, were saying he didnt even play that many games for the youth team, was obvious he wasnt going to last, some drop down then

LeixlipRed
10/01/2010, 10:35 PM
Gavin, one of the contestants, lives down the road from me so I already know who wins ;)

Colbert Report
11/01/2010, 3:10 AM
Gavin, one of the contestants, lives down the road from me so I already know who wins ;)

Do you really live in Leixlip? I used to live in River Forest.

Acornvilla
11/01/2010, 10:08 AM
Do you really live in Leixlip? I used to live in River Forest.
good man!his name makes sence to you now?:rolleyes:

Colbert Report
11/01/2010, 12:26 PM
good man!his name makes sence to you now?:rolleyes:

Another proud product of the Longford education system eh? Learn how to spell mon!

MerchantsView
11/01/2010, 12:54 PM
Craig Walsh was a let down last night

Greenbod
11/01/2010, 1:08 PM

Looks like a good player (from the very little I've seen) with a terrible attitude.............needs to grow up quickly to have a chance.

Jacky08
11/01/2010, 2:32 PM

Off you pop son

I mean sore feet, missing his girlfriend, tired of football

Away home with ye

elroy
11/01/2010, 7:59 PM
Tough going, first time I watched this show tonight. What age are these lads 15/16? Not easy, still though chances are most will get a contract out of this.

One Irish lad wanting home already, what are we like?!?

kennedmc
11/01/2010, 9:13 PM
tough going but Craig was moaning loads and he'd only been in Italy for around 2-3 days at the time!

One of the other contestants was saying that he wasn't really making a effort to embrace the experience

Anyway who wins it Leixlip red who wins it? Can't be arsed watching the whole thing