PDA

View Full Version : Have you got any Irish in you?

Ref
12/03/2004, 2:03 PM
Have you got any Irish in you?

By Aidan Fitzmaurice

Irish eyes will not be smiling this summer when UEFA EURO 2004™ kicks off without the presence of the Republic of Ireland who failed to qualify for the tournament. So the Irish are exploring all avenues in a bid to find new players to give them a better chance of reaching the 2006 FIFA World Cup finals.

New rules
Manager Brian Kerr and the Football Association of Ireland are looking to take advantage of a change in FIFA's rules on international eligibility which could allow some players to change allegiance and play for another country having already played international football at underage level for someone else.

Read the full story here (http://www.uefa.com/magazine/news/Kind=128/newsId=148898.html)

interesting quote from Brian Kerr:
"We've talked about setting up a base in America to investigate players over there."

Declan_Michael
12/03/2004, 2:17 PM
Wouldn't it be better if 2nd and 3rd generation Irishmen went on the record and said 'I'd rather play for Ireland than the country of my birth'.

People like Nolan, no disrespect to him would rather play for England but would take Ireland as an avenue into international soccer, better contracts etc.

Setting up a camp in America smacks of desperation and reiterates the 'plastic paddy' tag we had when Charlton was in charge.

brendy_éire
12/03/2004, 2:24 PM
No what we should be aiming for. I know we've a fair amount of 'foreigners' playing for us at the minute, but I can't say I like having it this way. We should stick to having Irish born players only.

Paddy Ramone
12/03/2004, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by brendy_éire
No what we should be aiming for. I know we've a fair amount of 'foreigners' playing for us at the minute, but I can't say I like having it this way. We should stick to having Irish born players only.

That's a bit extreme, what about players like Paul McGrath and David O'Leary who were born in England but raised in Ireland and also players who were born in England with both of their parents Irish born and who consider themselves Irish. Anyway there'd be too many Jackeens in the side if we stuck to Irish born only.:D

4tothefloor
12/03/2004, 3:23 PM
There's hardly a european nation out there now that doesn't have "foreigners" playing for them.

davey
12/03/2004, 5:30 PM
Brendy eire - you are a bit of an eejit. Irish born only? I don't know where you were born but by your location that would technically rule you out of ROI side.

I agree I don't want people like Nolan either. However the real 2g would rather represent Ireland than anyone else and surely thats the real test.

American camps:(

brendy_éire
12/03/2004, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by davey
Brendy eire - you are a bit of an eejit. Irish born only? I don't know where you were born but by your location that would technically rule you out of ROI side.

Born in Derry, hence Irish born.

Aye, I'm aware that there's been many great players who have played for us and have come from England. But don't ye agree that some of the players who play/have played for Ireland have only done so because they can't get on the England team. Was it Clinton Morrison who, when Amhrán na bhFiann was being played, said something like "I hope ours isn't as crap as this"? No harm to him, he's a decent player and all, but he didn't have a clue what he was at really.
Maybe an idea would be that they have to have been raised in Ireland to play, or maybe sit some kind of test. I'm not entirely comfortable with people representing my country who don't know the first thing about it.

eirebhoy
12/03/2004, 6:53 PM
I think players should only have one chance to choose which country they want to play for. They should all have to sign something at a young age stating the country of their choice (as long as they qualify on the parentage rule too). Players like Nolan and Macken are 99% English and want to play for Ireland to further their career. Macken wants to play for Ireland to test himself at that level. I mean, come on.

Declan_Michael
12/03/2004, 10:40 PM

Would this mean you class people born in the north as foreigners? Since their are two recognised footballing bodies on the island of Ireland. Your view would mean to play for the Republic of Ireland you have to be born in the 26 counties. :o

only1kilbane
13/03/2004, 11:55 AM
I really dont think we can afford to be too choosy with who we play and dont play. We all would love to have a team all born in Ireland but we also want a team that would be competitive. I dont think at the moment an all "Irish" team would be competitive. If Brian can find people in america who are willing to play for us then why not but only if they are better than what we have. With regards to Nolan and Macken Nolan looks a great prospect and if he decides to play for us its a good thing as he would at least be as good if not better than what we currently have in our squad.

sylvo
13/03/2004, 12:32 PM

Does that go for fan's also who are not born in Ireland:confused:,
guess i'll have to take up thrashing people's city's and wearing a burbury baseball cap if that's the case, :eek:

Beavis
13/03/2004, 12:56 PM
Discussed many times before and I think the general agreement was that players should be forced to choose their international preference before say 17,18,thereby eliminating decisions being made as a result of career success or in our case a lack of it.

Implementing the idea of 'Player born here only' would be a criminal.Deny players like Kilbane,Delap,Breen just because their parents had to migrate for work?The repatriation of the same peoples money kept this country afloat in our darkest years...

Slash/ED
13/03/2004, 4:59 PM
Pretty much every other team in the world has players from foreign countries, we simply have to do it to compete. If someone is good enough, willing and able to play for uis I've no problem so long as they give 100% when wearing the green.

liam88
14/03/2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Declan_Michael

Setting up a camp in America smacks of desperation and reiterates the 'plastic paddy' tag we had when Charlton was in charge.

Think of what else we had when Charlton was in charge though :D

Seriously though-if you were raised as Irish then you should be able to play or Ireland.
I grew up in England but was brought up Irish and know the national anthem+all about our country.
I regard myself (As well as most other people regarding me) as Irish.
Despite this I can play for Ireland, England, Burma, India and possibly Iran on heritage! (If I were any good at :ball:)
If you respect the country and won't change once your playing for Ireland and you were raised in an Irish family really you should be able to play.
Lennon should be allowed to play for the Republic. Can people in the North choose who they play for and which passport they have?

Bit off topic but the other day I was wearing ma Cork Hurling shirt in town with my fleece open (you could see the O2 on the Red). A man came up to me and said in a totally English accent "Hey mate do you know how we did". I thought "wow someone else from Cork" until he continued "against Blackburn" hehe. Showuld have seen the look on his face when I took my fleece off and said "actualyl I'm not an Arsenal fan".

sylvo
14/03/2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Beavis
[B

Implementing the idea of 'Player born here only' would be a criminal.Deny players like Kilbane,Delap,Breen just because their parents had to migrate for work?The repatriation of the same peoples money kept this country afloat in our darkest years... [/B]

Spot on, and yes something in region of 1.5 billion was put into the Irish economy between the early 50's and early 70's by the Irish community in brit-tan, still as has been said to meself and some of my homie's in the past when on Ireland trip's. ''how come yer not at wembley''. That one alway's crack's me up. :p .
As has been said on other post's we're not the only country to have player's who have not been born in the country so what's the problem:D .

brendy_éire
14/03/2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by liam88
Can people in the North choose who they play for and which passport they have?

Aye and aye. But the IFA often gets them at U21 level, then they don't change.

Declan_Michael
14/03/2004, 6:34 PM
Originally posted by liam88
Think of what else we had when Charlton was in charge though :D

Seriously though-if you were raised as Irish then you should be able to play or Ireland.
I grew up in England but was brought up Irish and know the national anthem+all about our country.
I regard myself (As well as most other people regarding me) as Irish.
Despite this I can play for Ireland, England, Burma, India and possibly Iran on heritage! (If I were any good at :ball:)
If you respect the country and won't change once your playing for Ireland and you were raised in an Irish family really you should be able to play.
Lennon should be allowed to play for the Republic. Can people in the North choose who they play for and which passport they have?

Bit off topic but the other day I was wearing ma Cork Hurling shirt in town with my fleece open (you could see the O2 on the Red). A man came up to me and said in a totally English accent "Hey mate do you know how we did". I thought "wow someone else from Cork" until he continued "against Blackburn" hehe. Showuld have seen the look on his face when I took my fleece off and said "actualyl I'm not an Arsenal fan".

Liam, I grew up in England too! I consider 2nd generationers as good as the Irish born when it comes to nationality. By my original comment I meant incouraging people who don't care for Irealnd but just see it as I way of getting into international football. Certain Irish internationals past and present have not helped us with our 'plastic paddy' tag and the media have previously lapped it up. By going on the record as saying Ireland are setting up a poaching camp in America just sounds embarassing.

liam88
14/03/2004, 9:22 PM
:D I agree

Paulie
15/03/2004, 9:56 AM
I have no problem with 2nd or 3rd gen Irish playing for us once we are the first choice. The idea however of going to players to talk them into playing for us is ridiculous. If there are players in the USA or any other country for that matter that are qualified to play for us let them come to us. If they feel Irish they will want to play for us, if not they will play for someone else and good luck to them. At least they will be choosing the place for which they have the greatest affinity and not just making a career move. I know that there are plenty of players who have played for the Irish team in the past, and some that are playing for us now, that would have chosen ingurlund over ourselves but thay does not mean that I've to like it. I know that once these players have decided to play for us that they give their all, I just wish that they didn't make it so obvious that we're the second choice.

fromthenorthffs
15/03/2004, 11:56 AM
Can people in the North choose who they play for and which passport they have?

Absolutly. Can get one in the Post Office within 14 days, part of the Good Friday Agreement.

When the price of a British one goes up next year an Irish one should be cheaper so there will be a big uptake next year.

Bowsy
15/03/2004, 1:01 PM
No harm whatsoever with using 2nd or 3rd generation players provided they show commitment and want to play for us. Every country does it. Vieiri (raised in Australia), Hargreaves, Emmanuel Olisadebe( Can't even speak polish!), Klose(a pole playing for Germany-bet he's popular in his homeland). The list goes on. We are a very small nation and need these players. The English do it in all the sports they're rubbish at and i take great joy in listing all their foreigners whenever the "how many irishmen are in the irish team" discussion comes up.

petef
16/03/2004, 5:01 AM
It never hurt France, Thuram's from the French island of Guadeloupe in the West Indies. The French side also includes second-generation immigrants of North African or African origin - Marcel Desailly, Patrick Viera, Claude Makelele. French Armenians and even a Kanak from the South Pacific territory of New Caledonia. Zidanes parents are Algerian immigrants, Maybe we might begin to reap the benefits in a few years time with the massive influx of refugees we now have in Ireland.

nifan
16/03/2004, 10:09 AM
Aye and aye. But the IFA often gets them at U21 level, then they don't change.

There is a young lad McStay who changed, though it might have been the u19s he was playing for.

Chris Baird was asked to change but stayed.

The NI u21s are all but gone - they didnt enter the euro qualifiers due to funding, but they are playing a friendly against serbia in april.

Plastic Paddy
16/03/2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by nifan
There is a young lad McStay who changed, though it might have been the u19s he was playing for.

Indeed. Henry McStay from Lurgan was involved with the NI u-17 panel, but IIRC switched allegiances to the Rep before playing a game.

:D PP

Lionel Ritchie
16/03/2004, 11:44 AM

Maybe an idea would be that they have to have been raised in Ireland to play, or maybe sit some kind of test. I'm not entirely comfortable with people representing my country who don't know the first thing about it.

I'd like to know how you propose to provide evidence of their residential address ...Utility bills? As for tests - You might have to knuckle down to the books a bit yourself Brendy, if the following's anything to go by...

Aye, I'm aware that there's been many great players who have played for us and have come from England. But don't ye agree that some of the players who play/have played for Ireland have only done so because they can't get on the England team. Was it Clinton Morrison who, when Amhrán na bhFiann was being played, said something like "I hope ours isn't as crap as this"? No harm to him, he's a decent player and all, but he didn't have a clue what he was at really.

The incident you describe took place a full thirty years before Clinton won his first Ireland cap. The man in question, who incidently still tells the story suitably redfaced, was that Dublin born magnificent servant of Irish football -Joe Kinnear. He was raised most of his life in London, there was virtually no televised football and he simply didn't know the tune. Fair enough by me.

:D

Plastic Paddy
16/03/2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Lionel Ritchie
The incident you describe took place a full thirty years before Clinton won his first Ireland cap. The man in question, who incidently still tells the story suitably redfaced, was that Dublin born magnificent servant of Irish football -Joe Kinnear. He was raised most of his life in London, there was virtually no televised football and he simply didn't know the tune. Fair enough by me.

I thought that story was apocryphal, and rather than Kinnear, I'd heard it was Terry Mancini who came out with it...

:D PP

fergalr
16/03/2004, 12:47 PM
Given the week thats in it, I just like to point out that many famous names in Irish history were not born on this island. St Patrick, De Valera, Connelly (James not David), Shane McGowan .....

Schumi
16/03/2004, 1:10 PM
Originally posted by nifan
The NI u21s are all but gone - they didnt enter the euro qualifiers due to funding, but they are playing a friendly against serbia in april. They entered the Euro 2004 qualifiers, it's the Euro 2008 qualifiers that they're not entering.

Bowsy
16/03/2004, 3:21 PM
Speaking of Plastic Paddies(See Below). Also i believe it was Terry Mancini who made the comment about our national anthem.

Kerr turns down Gallen offer

Brian Kerr has revealed that he received a letter from Queens Park Rangers striker Kevin Gallen notifying the Irish management of his availability for selection under a once-off Fifa rule change - but Kerr confirmed he would not be part of the squad for the forthcoming series of friendlies.

Gallen, who has strong Irish roots, famously turned down the chance to play for the country of his forefathers early in his career in order to throw in his lot with England.

However, his career failed to take off as he had been hoping for and, at 28 and plying his trade in the Second Division with the Loftus Road side, his chance of making the grade in the Three Lions has long since passed him by.

And Kerr hinted that he would not get the opportunity to force his way into the Irish side under the once-off rule change that allows those who have played for one country at up to and including under-21 level to change nationality - once they possessed a dual passport at the time of their original international debut.

"I have looked at several players who have been suggested as being eligible for us but the only one who has made a direct move has been Kevin Gallen who sent me a letter. We returned a letter saying we were well aware of him and I have watched him since then. He’s scoring goals in the Second Division but I’m not convinced that what I saw is better than what we already have."

Bolton Wanderers midfielder Kevin Nolan and Manchester City striker Jonathan Macken are others who may be eligible for a change of nationality, but as yet neither is believed to be close to making the switch.

brendy_éire
16/03/2004, 4:00 PM
Originally posted by Lionel Ritchie
The incident you describe took place a full thirty years before Clinton won his first Ireland cap. The man in question, who incidently still tells the story suitably redfaced, was that Dublin born magnificent servant of Irish football -Joe Kinnear.

I was toul that it was Morrison. :o

Aye, might be difficult to prove where ye were raised, but a test could consist of basic things about Ireland. A kind of citizenship test, to see if the person wanting to represent Ireland actually know something about the country.

Feech
18/03/2004, 9:08 AM
Morrison is a gimp.

Among his pearls of wisdom have been -

(on playing gaelic football in training)

I've never seen that game before

(on the Blarney Stone)

It's made of emerald

Who can forget the classic

Come and get me Sven.

People like him should be roundly booed when he dons the green shirt for having the gall to pretend to be Irish.

And the FAI's duplicity in all this should also be questioned.

lopez
20/03/2004, 3:44 PM
Brendy hombre, I saw your post while out in Spain, but unfortunately I'd forgotten my password so I couldn't reply. Amigo, you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Travel a bit more, then you might realise that everyone with a manc or cockney accent doesn't dress up like action man and kick in people's front doors for a living.

What made you come out with this well worn old sh*te, FFS, when you see the number of 2G posters on this site? It's bad enough when someone comes out with this cojones from the 26C, but at least you can put it down to freestate indoctrination where someone like you, let alone us plastics should be denied Irish citizenship. But what's your excuse?

There's a simple test. It's called whether you are born in Ireland or have at least one parent or grandparent born in Ireland and therefore are entitled to an Irish passport. Yes we'll get w*nkers like Morrison who think our own ethnic minority are leprechauns. I'm sure he's come out with a few gems about British life too. But when you look at the fiddling and hypocrisy that goes on in every other country - good example is Jacques Chirac claiming that he can understand why Parisians (the French ones that is) hate foreigners because they are smelly and noisy (quoted while he was mayor of Paris circa late 80's/early 90s) and then wraps himself around them when they make up most of the side that wins the World Cup - probably most Irish people, just couldn't give a f*ck as long as Morrison and the like are knocking in the goals.

lopez
20/03/2004, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by Feech
Morrison is a gimp.

Among his pearls of wisdom have been...Who can forget the classic. Come and get me Sven.
This line reminds me of Michael Robinson, probably the most unqualified international we ever had (his mum, the poor soul had to get an Irish passport before he could). My first memories of Michael, as he prefers to be called, was seeing his mug in Match Weekly around October 1980 with the 'person most like to meet' (this was usually filled in with the Queen, the pope or some other notable layabout) as 'Ron Greenwood...on business.' So it came as a bit of a surprise to see Michael turn out in the green (well it was white) in Paris the same month.:eek:

I met Michael in Iceland in 1986 following our one and only trophy win in senior football and he was all this 'my boy's got a tricolour over his bed; I'm Irish (another Morrison classic); and I'm Irish but not in an IRA way of being Irish, know what I mean.' Lo and behold two years later I see Robinson in a Spanish football mag claiming that his international career was purely a flag of convenience, and that he 'was always English. Let's not forget that.'

I'm reminded of Robinson as I saw him on Spanish TV last week presenting the highly funny 'El Dia Despues' where his droll Leicester comprehension of Spanish is an asset. More credible of my own perception of him is the Spitting Image type puppet (should that be muppet?) of himself that presents its own Sunday show (the previous one I saw portrayed Aznar's successor (Rajoy) as PP leader, as a drunk, while the new Spanish PM is constantly having knives stuck in his back by his own party) although the credibility of the programme is somewhat reduced with Beckham's puppet talking Spanish quite lucidly. :D

Beavis
21/03/2004, 7:38 PM
probably most Irish people, just couldn't give a f*ck as long as Morrison and the like are knocking in the goals.

I give a fcuk.Whats the point in having a great team that doesn't represent the people of the country.Would there be any satisfaction in us buying in a team of Brazilians a la Quatar and winning the World Cup?I think not.
International football should be an indication of how good a footballing country yous are,employing foreigners defeats the purpose.

lopez
22/03/2004, 9:53 AM
I give a fcuk.Whats the point in having a great team that doesn't represent the people of the country.Would there be any satisfaction in us buying in a team of Brazilians a la Quatar and winning the World Cup?I think not.
International football should be an indication of how good a footballing country yous are,employing foreigners defeats the purpose.
Firstly, Morrison was not bought but qualified through blood. I can't say that I'm fond of people playing for Ireland who don't know anything about the place or have ever visited it. But you cannot compare him with either what is happening in Qatar, nor with Germany picking Gerald Asamoah or Sean Dundee, when citizenship is almost impossible to acquire for people born in Germany who haven't any German ancestry.

Morrison, whether you like it or not is entitled to Irish citizenship as he would of any country on the planet if he were to have a grandparent from there, although this often depends on the sex of the grandparent. It is him and Matt Holland that gets the most stick here on this question, but what do you expect? Holland is half English; Morrison has just one Irish grandparent.

This requirement of citizenship - 'Ius Sanguinis' - is paramount in almost every European country you find regarding nationality. In fact, Ireland is perhaps the only country left that still allows an unconditional 'Ius Soli' (place of birth) throughout the island to attain citizenship, something that by mid 2002 it wanted to change with Dublin's maternity hospitals being overwhelmed by foreigners.

OK,Morrison is an easy target...just a Wandsworth homie after all.....still the fact he wants to play for Ireland,even in one game(& is Eligible!There'll be plenty more 'confusion' in 20 yrs.time when some of the current immigrant population,er shock,choose to pull on a Green shirt!).....makes him more of an Irishman,say than RMK,who had 'better' credentials.......& chose to throw the captaincy of his country,back in the faces of the fans'....being the spolit br*t he is......
Exactly! Despite his fondness for England, he still turns up for Ireland games. Unlike Judas who gave up his country to play for a foreign side. :confused:

Beavis
22/03/2004, 3:40 PM
[QUOTE=Lopez]Morrison was not bought but qualified through blood[QUOTE]
Wasn't disputing that mate,I wouldn't question Morrison's entitlement (although I would queston his motives).I just thought you were implying that the irish fans don't care who's in the green as long as were winning which I wouldn't agree...

Anyway on the original topic here are the official FIFA grounds for entitlment(amended earlier this month):

a) the player was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
b) his biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
c) his grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
d) he has lived continuously for at least two years on the territory of the relevant Association.

Doesn't mention any alteration to the rule of switching nationality so I presume it's going to remain.

tricky_colour
22/03/2004, 5:19 PM
Born in Derry, hence Irish born.

We I must admit when I first heard the Irish National Anthem I wasn't
too impressed, however it does grow on you.
Obvioulsy many people born in England or elsewhere will have had
little chance to hear it.
After all you only normally hear national anthems before major international
games and very few Irish games are televised in England.
You also hear it when say someone wins an Olympic gold medal but how
often does that happen :(
Is it in your record collection bye the way :p

And as you mention the Irish National Anthem may I remind you
of a couple of lines from the chorus, as you appear not to know it :rolleyes:

"Soldiers are we
whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come
from a land beyond the wave" :D
---------------------

So no mention of plastic paddys their then. :eek:

lopez
22/03/2004, 6:21 PM
...Obvioulsy many people born in England or elsewhere will have had little chance to hear it.
After all you only normally hear national anthems before major international
games and very few Irish games are televised in England.:
It used to be played a lot in Irish pubs late at night after a Chucky Oke. Also places like The National and The Galtymore played it at the end of an evening of dire music by some showband.

And as you mention the Irish National Anthem may I remind you
of a couple of lines from the chorus, as you appear not to know it

"Soldiers are we
Some have come
from a land beyond the wave"
---------------------

So no mention of plastic paddys their then.
Nice one. Brendy gone very quiet recently. He might know Sean MacStiofain though. :D

LiamJudge
22/03/2004, 11:11 PM
Fantastic point about the Anthem. Basically it comes down to making a decision and sticking to it. If someone chose England and one point then they should stick to it. Morrison doesn't want to play for us, he's just too poor for England, wants to further his career.

People say i shouldn;t support Ireland (i'm third generation) but i've always done so and that's it to me - it's that simple either you think of yourself as Irish or not.

By the way, Aiden McGeady at Celtic is one to look out for in the future. Up the Celts on Thursday

tricky_colour
23/03/2004, 12:57 AM
Personally I am a second generation Irish, both my
parents born in Ireland but with me born in England.
When I was growing up I knew little of Irish football
which didn't seem to exist to any extent as far as I
was aware, I only became aware of Irish football in the
Charlton era and I was hooked forever.
Untill then I would have probably supported England
(forgive me) as I didn't realise I had another option
if I wanted to follow an International football team,
or at least an international team which would ever
be mention on television or in a newspaper.
Now I love to see England get hammered except perhaps
if they are playing Germany, but I am not even too sure
about that anymore.

Obviously it is much more complex if you have duel or
even multiple nationality and for many people the country
you were born in would be an influential factor.
Few people are 'throughbred' these days, are they to be
excluded from international football?

For most people it is their 'long term' nationality
which matters. I can well understand someone of India
origin supporting India at cricket against England even
though they born in England. Infact I would consider the
a bit odd if they didn't.

Obviously making money is an important factor in everyone
lives, I make 'plastic paddy' hating Keano *chose* to
move to England basically through greed even though he
could have had a decent career in Ireland.

Now any children he has will be 'plastic paddys' unless he
does the 'honourable thing' and brings them up to
support England (I am not aware he actually has any
children though, but I could be wrong, can anyone
inform me of the situation?).
Anyway I think Roy is a great player so I do not want
to knock him, nobody is perfect.

Perhaps they could change the words of the Irish National
Anthem to apease the 'pureists'

"Soldiers are we
No Plastic Paddys here
from a land beyond the waves" :eek:

Incidently is the English rughy captain not half Irish?
ie Lawrence Dallaglio, apparently he was the only
'Englishman' who played well recently when the 'World
Champions' got hammered in their own back yard at
Twickenham by Ireland.
(I have the entire match saved forever on video by the way)

I guess he would be a 'plastic Tommy' :D
"Tupperware Tommy"? (with an Italian name :D )

Then there is drug smeared tennis player Greg Rudeski.
(Polish Canadian?).

Mind you at least Dallaglio doesn't have a Bryne 'mullet' lol.

Here is a link about his decision.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/sporttop/content_objectid=14013258_method=full_siteid=50143 _headline=-DALLAGLIO--I-NEARLY-PLAYED-FOR-IRISH-name_page.html

You might have to cut and paste that I am afraid.

Sorry about the long post!!

I must say I love the new format of the site and I love all these
faces. Especiall this one :eek:
and this :rolleyes: it brightens it up but there seems to be a limit
to how many you can get in one post.

lopez
23/03/2004, 12:35 PM
As I said Clinton may not be the most convincing Irishman,but he's eligible & wants to play,so he/we should give it a lash.Regardless of what's been said in the past,unless you speak to him in person,how can any of us judge?
I can't see 'Homey' Clinton hanging out with the master race. Perhaps playing for England was just as much a sell out? Don't know about the rest of his background but it could be that his three other grandparents were from different countries, so his roots are pretty disparate. As an old 2G Jamaican mate of mine said about some of his elders: 'I can't say that I'm from the old country if they are from Barbados and my parents are from Jamaica. The only thing we have in common is that we're originally from Africa.'

Incidently is the English rughy captain not half Irish?

I've read about his mother being a strong 2G sister. However this information came not from anything on Dallaglio himself but through her campaigning for justice following the tragic death of her daughter - a highly talented dancer by all accounts - in the Marchioness disaster on the Thames 15 years ago. This story does come as a bit of a surprise. I also heard that the Italians wanted to arrest Dallaglio a few years ago because he had dual-nationality and hadn't done his national service, naughty boy. :eek: