PDA

View Full Version : Atheists challenge Blasphemy Law

osarusan
02/01/2010, 8:13 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8437460.stm

An atheist group in the Irish Republic has defied a new blasphemy law by publishing a series of anti-religious quotations on its website.

The new law makes blasphemy a crime punishable by a fine of up to 25,000 euros (£22,000; $35,000).

Atheist Ireland says it will fight any action taken against it in court.

From Atheist Ireland website - http://blog.atheist.ie/?p=101

Atheist Ireland Publishes 25 Blasphemous Quotes

From today, 1 January 2010, the new Irish blasphemy law becomes operational, and we begin our campaign to have it repealed. Blasphemy is now a crime punishable by a €25,000 fine.

In response, we have published a list of 25 blasphemous quotes, which have previously been published by or uttered by or attributed to Jesus Christ, Muhammad, Mark Twain, Tom Lehrer, Randy Newman, James Kirkup, Monty Python, Rev Ian Paisley, Conor Cruise O’Brien, Frank Zappa, Salman Rushdie, Bjork, Amanda Donohoe, George Carlin, Paul Woodfull, Jerry Springer the Opera, Tim Minchin, Richard Dawkins, Pope Benedict XVI, Christopher Hitchens, PZ Myers, Ian O’Doherty, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor and Dermot Ahern.

Page with actual quotes - http://blasphemy.ie/2010/01/01/atheist-ireland-publishes-25-blasphemous-quotes/

Might take time to load.

superfrank
02/01/2010, 11:23 AM
I got a "service temporary unavailable" warning. Have the Guardaí shut them down already?

It's nice to hear that story. I wish them the best of luck.

John83
02/01/2010, 4:59 PM
I got a "service temporary unavailable" warning. Have the Guardaí shut them down already?
They're still up. Heavy traffic on their site though - they're linked on Slashdot and elsewhere.

I hope they achieve their aims.

dahamsta
02/01/2010, 5:06 PM
I've no problem republishing the entire thing here, as they've given permission to. This site is on a server in Cork. I'll wait by the door. It's a retarded law and Dermot Ahern is a retarded man for enacting it.

Organised religion, in particular organised catholicism, sits in the same category. If we were around 2000 years ago, catholicism would be our scientology, Jesus Christ our L. Ron Hubbard. By idiots, for idiots.

(I know there are some religious people on this site that will be offended. I honestly don't care. You're entitled to your beliefs and I'm entitled to ridicule them. I'll continue to do so despite this ridiculous law.)

Atheist Ireland Publishes 25 Blasphemous Quotes (http://blasphemy.ie/2010/01/01/atheist-ireland-publishes-25-blasphemous-quotes/)

Filed under: Atheist Ireland (http://blasphemy.ie/category/groups/atheist-ireland/), Campaign (http://blasphemy.ie/category/topics/campaign/), Freedom of Speech (http://blasphemy.ie/category/topics/freedom-of-speech/), Is this Blasphemy? (http://blasphemy.ie/category/topics/is-this-blasphemy/), Quotes (http://blasphemy.ie/category/topics/quotes/) — Michael Nugent @ 12:33 am

From today, 1 January 2010, the new Irish blasphemy law becomes operational, and we begin our campaign to have it repealed. Blasphemy is now a crime punishable by a €25,000 fine. The new law defines blasphemy as publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted.

This new law is both silly and dangerous. It is silly because medieval religious laws have no place in a modern secular republic, where the criminal law should protect people and not ideas. And it is dangerous because it incentives religious outrage, and because Islamic States led by Pakistan are already using the wording of this Irish law to promote new blasphemy laws at UN level.

We believe in the golden rule: that we have a right to be treated justly, and that we have a responsibility to treat other people justly. Blasphemy laws are unjust: they silence people in order to protect ideas. In a civilised society, people have a right to to express and to hear ideas about religion even if other people find those ideas to be outrageous.

Publication of 25 blasphemous quotes

In this context we now publish a list of 25 blasphemous quotes, which have previously been published by or uttered by or attributed to Jesus Christ, Muhammad, Mark Twain, Tom Lehrer, Randy Newman, James Kirkup, Monty Python, Rev Ian Paisley, Conor Cruise O’Brien, Frank Zappa, Salman Rushdie, Bjork, Amanda Donohoe, George Carlin, Paul Woodfull, Jerry Springer the Opera, Tim Minchin, Richard Dawkins, Pope Benedict XVI, Christopher Hitchens, PZ Myers, Ian O’Doherty, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor and Dermot Ahern.

Despite these quotes being abusive and insulting in relation to matters held sacred by various religions, we unreservedly support the right of these people to have published or uttered them, and we unreservedly support the right of any Irish citizen to make comparable statements about matters held sacred by any religion without fear of being criminalised, and without having to prove to a court that a reasonable person would find any particular value in the statement.

Campaign begins to repeal the Irish blasphemy law

We ask Fianna Fail and the Green Party to repeal their anachronistic blasphemy law, as part of the revision of the Defamation Act that is included within the Act. We ask them to hold a referendum to remove the reference to blasphemy from the Irish Constitution.

We also ask all TDs and Senators to support a referendum to remove references to God from the Irish Constitution, including the clauses that prevent atheists from being appointed as President of Ireland or as a Judge without swearing a religious oath asking God to direct them in their work.
If you run a website, blog or other media publication, please feel free to republish this statement and the list of quotes yourself, in order to show your support for the campaign to repeal the Irish blasphemy law and to promote a rational, ethical, secular Ireland.

List of 25 Blasphemous Quotes Published by Atheist Ireland

1. Jesus Christ, when asked if he was the son of God, in Matthew 26:64: “Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.” According to the Christian Bible, the Jewish chief priests and elders and council deemed this statement by Jesus to be blasphemous, and they sentenced Jesus to death for saying it.

2. Jesus Christ, talking to Jews about their God, in John 8:44: “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him.” This is one of several chapters in the Christian Bible that can give a scriptural foundation to Christian anti-Semitism. The first part of John 8, the story of “whoever is without sin cast the first stone”, was not in the original version, but was added centuries later. The original John 8 is a debate between Jesus and some Jews. In brief, Jesus calls the Jews who disbelieve him sons of the Devil, the Jews try to stone him, and Jesus runs away and hides.

3. Muhammad, quoted in Hadith of Bukhari, Vol 1 Book 8 Hadith 427: “May Allah curse the Jews and Christians for they built the places of worship at the graves of their prophets.” This quote is attributed to Muhammad on his death-bed as a warning to Muslims not to copy this practice of the Jews and Christians. It is one of several passages in the Koran and in Hadith that can give a scriptural foundation to Islamic anti-Semitism, including the assertion in Sura 5:60 that Allah cursed Jews and turned some of them into apes and swine.

4. Mark Twain, describing the Christian Bible in Letters from the Earth, 1909: “Also it has another name - The Word of God. For the Christian thinks every word of it was dictated by God. It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies… But you notice that when the Lord God of Heaven and Earth, adored Father of Man, goes to war, there is no limit. He is totally without mercy - he, who is called the Fountain of Mercy. He slays, slays, slays! All the men, all the beasts, all the boys, all the babies; also all the women and all the girls, except those that have not been deflowered. He makes no distinction between innocent and guilty… What the insane Father required was blood and misery; he was indifferent as to who furnished it.” Twain’s book was published posthumously in 1939. His daughter, Clara Clemens, at first objected to it being published, but later changed her mind in 1960 when she believed that public opinion had grown more tolerant of the expression of such ideas. That was half a century before Fianna Fail and the Green Party imposed a new blasphemy law on the people of Ireland.

5. Tom Lehrer, The Vatican Rag, 1963: “Get in line in that processional, step into that small confessional. There, the guy who’s got religion’ll tell you if your sin’s original. If it is, try playing it safer, drink the wine and chew the wafer. Two, four, six, eight, time to transubstantiate!”

6. Randy Newman, God’s Song, 1972: “And the Lord said: I burn down your cities - how blind you must be. I take from you your children, and you say how blessed are we. You all must be crazy to put your faith in me. That’s why I love mankind.”

7. James Kirkup, The Love That Dares to Speak its Name, 1976: “While they prepared the tomb I kept guard over him. His mother and the Magdalen had gone to fetch clean linen to shroud his nakedness. I was alone with him… I laid my lips around the tip of that great ****, the instrument of our salvation, our eternal joy. The shaft, still throbbed, anointed with death’s final ejaculation.” This extract is from a poem that led to the last successful blasphemy prosecution in Britain, when Denis Lemon was given a suspended prison sentence after he published it in the now-defunct magazine Gay News. In 2002, a public reading of the poem, on the steps of St. Martin-in-the-Fields church in Trafalgar Square, failed to lead to any prosecution. In 2008, the British Parliament abolished the common law offences of blasphemy and blasphemous libel.

8. Matthias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath, in Monty Python’s Life of Brian, 1979: “Look, I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.”

9. Rev Ian Paisley MEP to the Pope in the European Parliament, 1988: “I denounce you as the Antichrist.” Paisley’s website describes the Antichrist as being “a liar, the true son of the father of lies, the original liar from the beginning… he will imitate Christ, a diabolical imitation, Satan transformed into an angel of light, which will deceive the world.”

10. Conor Cruise O’Brien, 1989: “In the last century the Arab thinker Jamal al-Afghani wrote: ‘Every Muslim is sick and his only remedy is in the Koran.’ Unfortunately the sickness gets worse the more the remedy is taken.”

dahamsta
02/01/2010, 5:07 PM
Continued...

11. Frank Zappa, 1989: “If you want to get together in any exclusive situation and have people love you, fine - but to hang all this desperate sociology on the idea of The Cloud-Guy who has The Big Book, who knows if you’ve been bad or good - and cares about any of it - to hang it all on that, folks, is the chimpanzee part of the brain working.”

12. Salman Rushdie, 1990: “The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas - uncertainty, progress, change - into crimes.” In 1989, Ayatollah Khomeini of Iran issued a fatwa ordering Muslims to kill Rushdie because of blasphemous passages in Rushdie’s novel The Satanic Verses.

13. Bjork, 1995: “I do not believe in religion, but if I had to choose one it would be Buddhism. It seems more livable, closer to men… I’ve been reading about reincarnation, and the Buddhists say we come back as animals and they refer to them as lesser beings. Well, animals aren’t lesser beings, they’re just like us. So I say **** the Buddhists.”

14. Amanda Donohoe on her role in the Ken Russell movie Lair of the White Worm, 1995: “Spitting on Christ was a great deal of fun. I can’t embrace a male god who has persecuted female sexuality throughout the ages, and that persecution still goes on today all over the world.”

15. George Carlin, 1999: “Religion easily has the greatest bull**** story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever ’til the end of time! But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He’s all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can’t handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, talk about a good bull**** story. Holy ****!”

16. Paul Woodfull as Ding Dong Denny O’Reilly, The Ballad of Jaysus Christ, 2000: “He said me ma’s a virgin and sure no one disagreed, Cause they knew a lad who walks on water’s handy with his feet… Jaysus oh Jaysus, as cool as bleedin’ ice, With all the scrubbers in Israel he could not be enticed, Jaysus oh Jaysus, it’s funny you never rode, Cause it’s you I do be shoutin’ for each time I shoot me load.”

17. Jesus Christ, in Jerry Springer The Opera, 2003: “Actually, I’m a bit gay.” In 2005, the Christian Institute tried to bring a prosecution against the BBC for screening Jerry Springer the Opera, but the UK courts refused to issue a summons.

18. Tim Minchin, Ten-foot **** and a Few Hundred Virgins, 2005: “So you’re gonna live in paradise, With a ten-foot **** and a few hundred virgins, So you’re gonna sacrifice your life, For a shot at the greener grass, And when the Lord comes down with his shiny rod of judgment, He’s gonna kick my heathen ass.”

19. Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion, 2006: “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” In 2007 Turkish publisher Erol Karaaslan was charged with the crime of insulting believers for publishing a Turkish translation of The God Delusion. He was acquitted in 2008, but another charge was brought in 2009. Karaaslan told the court that “it is a right to criticise religions and beliefs as part of the freedom of thought and expression.”

20. Pope Benedict XVI quoting a 14th century Byzantine emperor, 2006: “Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.” This statement has already led to both outrage and condemnation of the outrage. The Organisation of the Islamic Conference, the world’s largest Muslim body, said it was a “character assassination of the prophet Muhammad”. The Malaysian Prime Minister said that “the Pope must not take lightly the spread of outrage that has been created.” Pakistan’s foreign Ministry spokesperson said that “anyone who describes Islam as a religion as intolerant encourages violence”. The European Commission said that “reactions which are disproportionate and which are tantamount to rejecting freedom of speech are unacceptable.”

21. Christopher Hitchens in God is not Great, 2007: “There is some question as to whether Islam is a separate religion at all… Islam when examined is not much more than a rather obvious and ill-arranged set of plagiarisms, helping itself from earlier books and traditions as occasion appeared to require… It makes immense claims for itself, invokes prostrate submission or ‘surrender’ as a maxim to its adherents, and demands deference and respect from nonbelievers into the bargain. There is nothing-absolutely nothing-in its teachings that can even begin to justify such arrogance and presumption.”

22. PZ Myers, on the Roman Catholic communion host, 2008: “You would not believe how many people are writing to me, insisting that these horrible little crackers (they look like flattened bits of styrofoam) are literally pieces of their god, and that this omnipotent being who created the universe can actually be seriously harmed by some third-rate liberal intellectual at a third-rate university… However, inspired by an old woodcut of Jews stabbing the host, I thought of a simple, quick thing to do: I pierced it with a rusty nail (I hope Jesus’s tetanus shots are up to date). And then I simply threw it in the trash, followed by the classic, decorative items of trash cans everywhere, old coffeegrounds and a banana peel.”

23. Ian O’Doherty, 2009: “(If defamation of religion was illegal) it would be a crime for me to say that the notion of transubstantiation is so ridiculous that even a small child should be able to see the insanity and utter physical impossibility of a piece of bread and some wine somehow taking on corporeal form. It would be a crime for me to say that Islam is a backward desert superstition that has no place in modern, enlightened Europe and it would be a crime to point out that Jewish settlers in Israel who believe they have a God given right to take the land are, frankly, mad. All the above assertions will, no doubt, offend someone or other.”

24. Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor, 2009: “Whether a person is atheist or any other, there is in fact in my view something not totally human if they leave out the transcendent… we call it God… I think that if you leave that out you are not fully human.” Because atheism is not a religion, the Irish blasphemy law does not protect atheists from abusive and insulting statements about their fundamental beliefs. While atheists are not seeking such protection, we include the statement here to point out that it is discriminatory that this law does not hold all citizens equal.

25. Dermot Ahern, Irish Minister for Justice, introducing his blasphemy law at an Oireachtas Justice Committee meeting, 2009, and referring to comments made about him personally: “They are blasphemous.” Deputy Pat Rabbitte replied: “Given the Minister’s self-image, it could very well be that we are blaspheming,” and Minister Ahern replied: “Deputy Rabbitte says that I am close to the baby Jesus, I am so pure.” So here we have an Irish Justice Minister joking about himself being blasphemed, at a parliamentary Justice Committee discussing his own blasphemy law, that could make his own jokes illegal.

Finally, as a bonus, Micheal Martin, Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs, opposing attempts by Islamic States to make defamation of religion a crime at UN level, 2009: “We believe that the concept of defamation of religion is not consistent with the promotion and protection of human rights. It can be used to justify arbitrary limitations on, or the denial of, freedom of expression. Indeed, Ireland considers that freedom of expression is a key and inherent element in the manifestation of freedom of thought and conscience and as such is complementary to freedom of religion or belief.” Just months after Minister Martin made this comment, his colleague Dermot Ahern introduced Ireland’s new blasphemy law.

jebus
02/01/2010, 5:34 PM
Bit harsh on L. Ron Hubbard don't you think?

thischarmingman
02/01/2010, 5:42 PM
Most read story on Guardian.com, today, and third most read during the last week.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/01/irish-atheists-challenge-blasphemy-law

Totally agree with all of the above. Ridiculous law, absymal judgement to have it passed.

hoops1
02/01/2010, 5:43 PM
Atheists have a website:D. Some people really have very little to be doing or worrying about.

Acornvilla
02/01/2010, 6:21 PM
i dont believe in websites...

SkStu
02/01/2010, 6:23 PM
im not sure if i believe in websites or not...

sligoman
02/01/2010, 6:35 PM
How exactly is this going to be enforced?

Like if I say something blasphemous here on foot.ie is that now illegal? What if I say it to someone on the street, am I now breaking the law? Sounds daft.

NeilMcD
02/01/2010, 6:37 PM
Atheists have a website:D. Some people really have very little to be doing or worrying about.

some could say the same about us who post on a football forum. Its a very worthwhile thing they are doing and I say fair play to them. The law needs to be broken and ridiculed as asap as its a joke of a law.

hoops1
02/01/2010, 6:44 PM
Your right it is a joke of a law,but of all the things to get wound up about this would be way way down the list.

dahamsta
02/01/2010, 6:55 PM
Like NeilMcD says. RE: Henri, for example.

Your right it is a joke of a [rule],but of all the things to get wound up about this would be way way down the list.

hoops1
02/01/2010, 7:06 PM
Sorry I havent the foggiest what your talking about:confused:

dahamsta
03/01/2010, 12:49 AM
My point is that different people get "wound up" about different things. It's a stupid law, it deserves to be repealed. If it isn't, the next stupid law could affect you.

Stevo Da Gull
03/01/2010, 3:33 AM
In two weeks I get back to Ireland after a year away.. I at least expected to be returning to a country in the 21st century. We need to put some pressure on to get this law repealed. It's laws like this that protect the grip of religion on it's people, and supresses the freedom of others. I certainly will have no respect for any law that takes away my rights.

thischarmingman
03/01/2010, 9:53 AM
In two weeks I get back to Ireland after a year away...

Don't do it! Stay away while you still can!!!

strangeirish
03/01/2010, 10:22 AM
Amen to that, er, I mean...

superfrank
03/01/2010, 11:21 AM
Some people really have very little to be doing or worrying about.
But if they don't get started on appealing against it, who will?

There is a really lazy attitude amongst the Irish people and, while a lot of people might be annoyed at this, the majority of them, myself included, won't bother doing anything about this law but complain.

NeilMcD
03/01/2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah fair play to Michael Nugent for doing this is what I say.

Stevo Da Gull
03/01/2010, 1:24 PM

If I had my way, I would be staying here but I want to go to University and the International student fees over here are too steep. Don't worry, I'm not planning on staying in Ireland permanently, but I plan on being much more active socially (including politically) than before I left. It's my country and I want to do my bit to make it a better place to live - and a horse poop law like this does the opposite!

dahamsta
03/01/2010, 1:50 PM
Bloody economic migrants, coming back here, rapin' our lecturers and an' stealin' our books...

NeilMcD
03/01/2010, 6:54 PM
As long as you dont become like Michael Hyland just back from Thailand.

brendy_éire
03/01/2010, 10:24 PM
It's a stupid law, it deserves to be repealed. If it isn't, the next stupid law could affect you.

Weird that I find myself defending a FF minister here, but I think the law is simply 'tidying up' what is already in the Constitution.

Article 40.6.1: “The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.”

Article 44.1: “The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.”

This recent law doesn't create the crime of blasphemy, per se. It simply makes it apply to religions other than Christianity, defining blasphemy as anything "that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion; and he or she intends, by the publication of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage".

If we're going to have a law on blasphemy, it should be applied to all blasphemy of any religion, as well to atheism.

Personally, the new law doesn't bother me all that much, I don't see much of a change.

A far greater concern, IMO, is what's in the Constitution with regards religion.
For example, the opening lines,

"In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,
We, the people of Éire,
Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial......"

We should have a referendum to get rid of stuff like this from the Constitution.
However, in the mean time, 'updating' the law on blasphemy (which we technically agreed to create in the first place) to include all religions is the right thing to do.

Mr A
03/01/2010, 10:26 PM
All well and good brendy, but there was a referendum earlier this year and this could easily have been tacked on. If he was going to do something, why not just be rid of the stupid thing instead of putting this garbage on the statute book?

dahamsta
04/01/2010, 10:47 AM
What Mr A said. Enacting a new stupid law to deal with an existing stupid law is just a retarded way to go about things.

brendy_éire
04/01/2010, 11:31 AM
If he was going to do something, why not just be rid of the stupid thing instead of putting this garbage on the statute book?

Because secularising the State isn't a FF policy. They aren't bothered with removing references to religion from the Constitution.

The articles on blasphemy in the Constitution aren't going away any time soon.
If we're going to have a stupid law (and we are), at least it should be a stupid law that applies equally to all religions, not just Christianity.

pineapple stu
04/01/2010, 12:18 PM
If I deny the Holocaust, or call all Muslims bomb-wielding nutcases, what crime have I committed? I assume there's something like incitement to hatred?

Stevo Da Gull
04/01/2010, 12:18 PM
Because secularising the State isn't a FF policy. They aren't bothered with removing references to religion from the Constitution.

The articles on blasphemy in the Constitution aren't going away any time soon.
If we're going to have a stupid law (and we are), at least it should be a stupid law that applies equally to all religions, not just Christianity.

But why? Why do we have to settle for stupidity and spinelessness from our leaders? Just because it's been like that for as long as we can remember, it doesn't mean that we have to accept it as something that will never change. Of course, the problem is whether there is any politician or party who will do any more than talk about what's right, and actually show moral conviction - because we have many great spoofers in the Dail.

People are free to believe in their religion, but I'm sure their right to do so is protected under other laws. Having a law specifically for religion supports the control of religious institutions on society.

Schumi
04/01/2010, 12:23 PM
If I deny the Holocaust, or call all Muslims bomb-wielding nutcases, what crime have I committed? I assume there's something like incitement to hatred?
Holocaust denial isn't illegal in Ireland. Don't know about the second, it's not blasphemous as I understand the term but it might technically be libelous I suppose!

pineapple stu
04/01/2010, 12:34 PM
Don't know about the second, it's not blasphemous as I understand the term
The AI website says blasphemy has been defined as -

publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted.
So, barring whatever "some defence" means, it seems fairly clear that it's blasphemous, I think.

I'd be interested to see if - AI's actions aside - anyone actually gets charged with blasphemy. I suppose I just want to see what the point of the law is. I can understand in a way wanting to cut down on stupid sweeping statements like the ones I made (although it's interesting that the issue of fact doesn't come into the definition; maybe that's the "some defence" permitted?), especially if they're very publicly made (some idiot on a reality TV show, maybe). But if libel/slander as you suggest covers it, I'm kind of stumped as to the whole point.

Schumi
04/01/2010, 12:42 PM
in relation to matters held sacred by any religionAre the mental health or bombing tendencies of its followers held sacred by Islam?

It's about insulting tenets of a religion rather than followers of a religion I would have thought.

brendy_éire
04/01/2010, 12:47 PM
The legal anomaly has existed since 1937 and no-one seemed to care. Why 'close' the loophole now?

Because we're a more multi-cultural, multi-faith society now, compared with 1937. If Christians are protected by some mad law, so should other religions.

But why? Why do we have to settle for stupidity and spinelessness from our leaders?

Because we elect them.

Macy
04/01/2010, 12:56 PM
We had an unenforceable, and therefore irrelevant, law which Ahern is replacing with one that could be enforced. There was no need to do so, except to shore up support. Given his speech at the time of the decriminalising homosexuality, it was probably some moral pay off for the limited civil partnerships.

peadar1987
15/01/2010, 4:38 PM
I am absolutely bulling about this.

If I say "homosexuals should be allowed to live", that's blasphemous

If I say "disobedient teenagers should not be murdered with stones", that's blasphemous

If I say "the earth is millions of years old", that's blasphemous

And all it takes is for one nutcase to bring a case to court, and the judge's hands will be tied by this ridiculous, stupid, archaic, oppressive, anti-intellectual pile of ****e of a law.

Stevo Da Gull
16/01/2010, 12:11 PM
Because we elect them.

So, because we've elected them, we should shut up and let them introduce any law they like?

superfrank
16/01/2010, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately, there's not much else we can do.

Only the President and/or the Senate has the power to stop laws being introduced.

The only way to stop these laws is to elect the opposition and hopefully they'll change it.

peadar1987
16/01/2010, 5:11 PM
Unfortunately, there's not much else we can do.

Only the President and/or the Senate has the power to stop laws being introduced.

The only way to stop these laws is to elect the opposition and hopefully they'll change it.

You're right, we can't block laws, so essentially giving out is our only way of expressing how opposed we are to them.

brendy_éire
18/01/2010, 12:58 PM
So, because we've elected them, we should shut up and let them introduce any law they like?

It's up to yourself. Complain if you want, but you probably won't be listened to. We've elected them, and, in theory, they are doing what we want.
Best thing might to be bring it up with candidates at the next election.

John83
18/01/2010, 3:32 PM
It's up to yourself. Complain if you want, but you probably won't be listened to. We've elected them, and, in theory, they are doing what we want.
Best thing might to be bring it up with candidates at the next election.
I've already emailed Eamonn Ryan (one of my local TDs) about it. Naturally, no reply.

juan
18/01/2010, 11:51 PM
I've already emailed Eamonn Ryan (one of my local TDs) about it. Naturally, no reply.

So the minister of communication can't communicate, ironic or what!

Does this mean that our beloved Fr. Ted will be taken off the air...... Down with this sort of thing.

dahamsta
19/01/2010, 10:20 AM
Fair point. Someone should start a campaign to have Father Ted removed from the Irish airwaves.

osarusan
19/01/2010, 10:24 AM
Would RTE broadcasting the Angelus not be blasphemous towards other religions?

thischarmingman
27/01/2010, 9:24 PM
James Joyce Street
Liberty Corner
Dublin 1

Tel: +353 1 8558600
www.oonaghyoung.co

DAVID GODBOLD + FACTOTUM + NEVAN LEHART + PAUL MURNAGHAN
+ ROCKY ROAD TO DUBLIN (Wednesday 10th February 7pm)
Curated by Mary Cremin & Oonagh Young

PREVIEW 29.01.10 6 - 8PM

From 1 January 2010, blasphemy is a crime in Ireland punishable by a €25,000 fine. The law states that blasphemy is committed when a person

“publishes or utters matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion.”

This law has provided an extremely dangerous international precedent. The exact wording on blasphemous libel contained in this Defamation Act is being used by Pakistan to seek a “defamation of religion” law through the UN. Irish legislation is being used to legitimise the proposals of Pakistan and the OIC (Organisation of Islamic Conference) to establish defamation of religion as a principle of international law.
Ireland voted with all other EU countries against a resolution on “combating defamation of religion” at the UN last December. Explaining that vote, Irish Foreign Minister Micheál Martin said:

“We believe that the concept of defamation of religion is not consistent with the promotion and protection of human rights. It can be used to justify arbitrary limitations on, or the denial of, freedom of expression. Indeed, Ireland considers that freedom of expression is a key and inherent element in the manifestation of freedom of thought and conscience and as such is complementary to freedom of religion or belief.”

“One man’s blasphemy is another man’s comedy classic,” the Irish Examiner editorial remarked. Is it that simple?

Images considered blasphemous have changed over the centuries. But the response has not. Eliciting extreme reactions from particular sections of society has resulted in much work being destroyed and many artists banished down through the ages. It is clear to see that images considered ‘blasphemous’ still stir very deep and dangerous emotions such as the The Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy in 2005.

What makes an image Blasphemous? In what contexts are they considered sacrilegious or immoral? Is the introduction of this new legislation in Ireland an indication of a tolerant, pluralist and democratic society befitting of our times? The artists in this exhibition address the issue directly through their individual practices or have already confronted censorship of their work.

David Godbold is interested in the ‘conflation of grand themes and daily minutiae’. Here he presents a cluster of crucifixes (13 in total); overlaying redundant notes, lists, leaflets and official documents with religious imagery and wry captions. Godbold considers the language of suffering creating trenchant satire through ironic political commentary.

The Vacuum (produced by the arts organisation Factotum formed by Stephen Hackett and Richard West) published two issues simultaneously on the themes of God and Satan. Two weeks later, the City Council debated the contents of these papers with some councillors accusing Factotum of ‘encouraging devil worshiping’. This started a process of debates culminating in the Council disregarding legal advice and demanding that Factotum apologise to them and the citizens of Belfast. To lampoon the Council’s demand, Factotum held a Sorry Day and published a special Sorry Issue of The Vacuum. The three issues and newspaper clippings are on display in the exhibition.

Paul Murnaghan presents ‘Map of the Empire’ which originated from Murnaghan’s utopian project ‘Neocredo’ (2008) where he traveled extensively in Europe posing a question through various media, ’if you had the opportunity to compose the opening line of a universal hymn, what would it be and how would you sing it’? Here he adds random material and imposes opinion where once was objectivity. Where blasphemy may be truly present, is in the casual misrepresentation and disregard for stated beliefs through the overlaying of various answers.
For Nevan Lahart materiality and the transforming nature of his art renders his made-objects absurd and potent. The visceral energy in his work reinforces the irony transmitted through his juxtaposition of materials and wit. Lahart is one of Ireland’s most innovative artists, defying the norms of display and challenging spaces with his physicality. He is currently showing in the RHA with A Lively Start to a Dead End.

With the kind permission of the director Peter Lennon, Rocky Road to Dublin (1967) will be screened alongside The Making of Rocky Road (2005) on Wednesday 10th February at 7pm in the gallery. There was a de facto ban on this documentary for over 30 years in Ireland because it argues that Ireland was dominated by cultural isolationism, primarily Gaelic and clerical traditionalism. Shot by French cinematographer Raoul Coutard, Lennon asks: “What do you do with your revolution once you’ve got it?”

EXHIBITION RUNS UNTIL 27TH FEBRUARY

Opening Hours for the duration of the Exhibition:
Thursdays - Saturdays: 12pm - 6pm
or by appointment

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43565376225

strangeirish
28/01/2010, 12:15 AM
Slightly off topic but, the 'Rocky Road to Dublin' documentary is well worth a viewing. A very brave film by Lennon, considering the the year it was made. It's on youtube and here's the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WATBzSYJx1Q).