PDA

View Full Version : Celtic-Barcelona official thread

Pages : [1] 2

dcnags
11/03/2004, 8:23 PM
1-nil to Celtic, good goal. Cross from the right by petrov, larsson headed it down to thompson and took it on a half volley from a little over six yards out. It was a great header by larsson, only a pity im witching it in irish. Don't have a clue what they're saying:mad:

Barca should have a couple but celtic prob have more possession

Plastic Paddy
11/03/2004, 10:41 PM
"Prob"?!? Son, borrow my ****ing glasses. Tons more possession. Midfield domination. OK, sloppy defence in the first half, but no-one's perfect. We shat on them overall.

Celtic. The people's choice. Deal with it. :D

:D PP - Gothenburgsniceinmay CSC

RebelBhoy
11/03/2004, 10:52 PM
up de celts. Bhoys were class considering no sutton or hartson who were vital in europe last year. I dont think valgaeren is a loss at all though and dont think he should be in the squad when fit. Sutton has to make it back for the second leg though. We'll need a physical presence up front. Pearson is begining to look like a quality signing.

Pity we did'nt get a second though.
Hail! Hail!:) :)

Plastic Paddy
11/03/2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by RebelBhoy
up de celts. Bhoys were class considering no sutton or hartson who were vital in europe last year. I dont think valgaeren is a loss at all though and dont think he should be in the squad when fit. Sutton has to make it back for the second leg though. We'll need a physical presence up front. Pearson is begining to look like a quality signing.

Pity we did'nt get a second though.
Hail! Hail!:) :)

What Rebelbhoy said. If you don't believe it, reload and re-read.

Ahahahahahahahafeckinghaaaa!

:D PP

Plastic Paddy
12/03/2004, 8:36 AM
Now that I'm firmly in the land of the hangover, I'd like to retract some of my earlier bullishness (well, that's my word for it)... dcnags - you have a very fair point about the number of chances Barcelona created. We were indeed lucky. But we still won. :)

And as for the bit about borrowing my glasses, I take that back too. It's not like they were any use to me watching the game... :rolleyes: ;)

the 12 th man
12/03/2004, 9:12 AM
sweet little touch header by larson.the two barca defenders went towards him leaving thomson completely unmarked.
big mistake

SÓC
12/03/2004, 9:38 AM
Grrrrrr.

Ah well at least Barca will hammer them in the Nou Camp. Was in an Irish Bar in Cardiff trying to see if i could watch the match but it wasnt on.

Barca Abu!

Plastic Paddy
12/03/2004, 9:59 AM
Originally posted by SÓC
Grrrrrr.

Ah well at least Barca will hammer them in the Nou Camp. Was in an Irish Bar in Cardiff trying to see if i could watch the match but it wasnt on.

Barca Abu!

Close ties to Catalonia, have we? Or is it just that you can't stand Celtic? Hmmm, I wonder... :rolleyes:

I hope we make you eat your words.

Éanna
12/03/2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by SÓC
Grrrrrr.

Barca Abu!
delighted :) Just to see that over-rated shower of nancy-boys get beaten is a joy. Can't see Celtic winning the return though

liam88
12/03/2004, 5:33 PM
HAIL! HAIL! GOD BLESS THE CELTS-THE IRISHMANS CHOICE! :D
IF anyone wants the video of the Celts singing "You'll NeverWalk Alone" in tribute to the bomb victims e-mail me and i'll send it to ya :)
It was absolutley brilliant, players, Bench team, Fans:) the lot!
Shame some of the pro ETA Barca fans had to boo during the minutes silence but not one Celtic fan wasn't singing an emotional tribute!
In the video you can even see the fans hugging the stewards-that's sportsmanship for ye :)
GO BLESS THE CELTS-BRING ON THE AWAY LEG AND LET's MAKE IT THREE NIL!

It's our trebel year ! :D

Footie_Fan
13/03/2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
We shat on them overall.

Nice. :rolleyes:

Plastic Paddy
13/03/2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Footie_Fan
Nice. :rolleyes:

I was ****ed when I wrote that, OK? Eloquence goes out the window at such times. And I can't help it if your imagination is more visual than mine... :p :D

SÓC
15/03/2004, 5:21 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
delighted :) Just to see that over-rated shower of nancy-boys get beaten is a joy. Can't see Celtic winning the return though

Overmars running at the Celtic defense should give me a fair few laughs.

4-1 to Barca with next years La Liga top scorer bagging one for his future club to at least allow the Celtic fans see Larson score one last time in Europe for them.

Who's the Celtic sub keeper? Eamon Collins?:D

Macy
16/03/2004, 8:44 AM
Originally posted by liam88
IF anyone wants the video of the Celts singing "You'll NeverWalk Alone" in tribute to the bomb victims e-mail me and i'll send it to ya
I'm sure it was so different to the way they normally sing it before the match :rolleyes: And as a matter of interest, were the usual "rebel" songs sung during the match?

Plastic Paddy
16/03/2004, 9:00 AM
Originally posted by Macy
I'm sure it was so different to the way they normally sing it before the match :rolleyes: And as a matter of interest, were the usual "rebel" songs sung during the match?

There's no point in rising to the bait, so I'll not bother. Just as a matter of interest though, what's your beef with Celtic? Do you feel the same about ManUre, Liverpool or any other English team who abstract support from the eircom League?

:) PP

Macy
16/03/2004, 9:08 AM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
There's no point in rising to the bait, so I'll not bother. Just as a matter of interest though, what's your beef with Celtic? Do you feel the same about ManUre, Liverpool or any other English team who abstract support from the eircom League?

:) PP
My only beef with Celtic fans is the fact they think somehow it morally okay to support Celtic and morally wrong to support an English team. For example, Manchester United have a strong history of Irish players and Irish support and certainly used to be considered a catholic club. The whole Celtic support here is based on sectarian bigotry, IMO.

I'm not some eL fundamentalist, and don't see the conflict between supporting a club here and across the water. It's about people who refuse to consider our league at all, that are the problem.

Plastic Paddy
16/03/2004, 9:17 AM
My only beef with Celtic fans is the fact they think somehow it morally okay to support Celtic and morally wrong to support an English team. For example, Manchester United have a strong history of Irish players and Irish support and certainly used to be considered a catholic club. The whole Celtic support here is based on sectarian bigotry, IMO.

I'm not some eL fundamentalist, and don't see the conflict between supporting a club here and across the water. It's about people who refuse to consider our league at all, that are the problem.

Fair enough. You make your point well, and as I can't really argue with it, I won't try to.

RebelBhoy
18/03/2004, 4:59 PM
"rebel songs", please how many more times. We know your opinion. Get over it like. As for YNWA tribute it was a nice touch to dedicate at to the victims of the bomb, thats all. You could let this one go in the never ending search for ways of knocking CFC and CFC fans in Ireland. As a matter of fact it did seem more powerful than usual.

Yes I do see a difference between supporting CFC and an English team. For the usual reasons.... Thats my opinion, you're of course entitled to yours.

Hail! Hail!

City for the Eircom Prem
Celtic for the Spl (and hopefully Uefa, although Barca away will be V hard)

SOC- did'nt you once tavel to Glasgow with the intention of supporting Celtic in a cup final or semi at Hampden??;) ;)

liam88
18/03/2004, 7:12 PM
I'm sure it was so different to the way they normally sing it before the match :rolleyes:

I normlly raises a great atmosphere but this time it was the most moving since it was sung to the Dunblaine schoolchildren or at the Hillborough rememberance.
People were hugging and just singing their hearts out in tribute-it showed anyone who's lives were darkened by the cloud of March 11th that there is still humanity and love in this world.

Dramatic as it may sound any tribute must have lifted those families souls.

SÓC
23/03/2004, 2:28 PM
SOC- did'nt you once tavel to Glasgow with the intention of supporting Celtic in a cup final or semi at Hampden??;) ;)
Ibrox it was. Twas Killy and Falkirk I think. Falkirk beat Celtic in a semi-final replay after the oldman had booked the flights!

Eh yea but at the time I remember also thinking that XWorks jeans were cool and finding the plots in Baywatch interesting! Christ I think I even bought a meatloaf tape....ahh remember tapes.

I grew up:)

Com'on Barca! Good old Eugene McCormick or whoever in goals will be in for a treat.

RebelBhoy
24/03/2004, 11:37 AM
:)

What connections do you have to Barca? Anyway, I'd much prefer to see a physical team, full of heart and no prima donnas go through.(celtic).
Even if I did'nt support Celtic I'd still go for the likes of Neil Lennon(how much has he been through?Also former Gaa player) Alan Thompson and Chris Sutton (How have they not been given a chance by England?) Balde(Reminds me of a GAA player with his physical whole hearted approach to the game! even if he does'nt look like one )
And I way prefer young David Marshall in goals compared to the likes of cocky cheating porto keeper (diving ridiculously in last years UEFA Cup final.). Might not be a top keeper(we dont really know ywt) but its great to see unknown young players get a chance. Plus I think like Lennon, McNamara, Pearson( I wont include Miller!) hes a tim through and through. Great to see fans of clubs playing for those clubs. Just like the great Paul McStay, never left celtic despite being head and shoulders above the rest of the team, and no chance of any silverwear most seasons.

Anyway Xworks what were ya thinking... Eclipse were the ones to go with! :)
Anyway for me Celtic like Cork city wont go out of fashion.
Celtic-the peoples choice.

lopez
24/03/2004, 12:27 PM
My only beef with Celtic fans is the fact they think somehow it morally okay to support Celtic and morally wrong to support an English team.
The team was founded by an Irishman and their main fanbase are Glaswegians of Irish descent. That's a good enough reason for any Irish to give them some support. Sounds like some anti-diaspora prejudice from certain quarters.

For example, Manchester United have a strong history of Irish players and Irish support and certainly used to be considered a catholic club.
Supporting a team because of its alleged religious identification. That seems to me based on sectarian bigotry.

The whole Celtic support here is based on sectarian bigotry, IMO.
Oh dear! :rolleyes:

Not the greatest of Celtic fans here, and me and Davros have had our words on the subject although he always gets me a ticket when there it town, but here's to beating Barstadolona. If only for making the sick minority of lefty, separatist c*nts - who think it's 'cooooool' to interrupt a minutes silence in honour of some murdered fellow 'workers' and wave flags of a political party that does a deal with terrorists not to bomb their 'homeland' - that follow them cry in their collective produced cava, it'll be worth it.

SÓC
24/03/2004, 2:34 PM
He's just being a sycophantic tw*t!Are you Alan Maybury?

Eh?

Am I Alan Maybury. No wonder I dont support that team when ye have "fans" who retort like that.

Because I chose to support a Catalan team over a Scottish one?

The Catalans are fighting to protect their language just like us Irish. Irish Language Rights are very important to me. My father used to work with a man from the city. I met him once at a part my parents had. He told me all about going to their matches and how strongly he felt about his language etc. I've been keeping an eye out for them ever since. This was when I was 9 or 10. Seems just as good a reason to support a team as to support Celtic because they were founded by and Irish Christian Brother.

RebelBhoy
25/03/2004, 9:14 PM
Grrrrrr.

Ah well at least Barca will hammer them in the Nou Camp.

Barca Abu!
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

And without Hedman, Douglas, Balde, Valgaeren, Hartson, Maloney........
And with want away Miller and Head less chicken Sylla!

Agathe actually had more pace than him and got a tackle in anytime Overmars looked like doing anything.

No wonder I dont support that team when ye have "fans" who retort like that.

If and when you hear someone racially abusing someone t the cross does that make you not follow city anymore? What when a few Barca fans interupt a minutes silence for 200 people? Still "keep an eye" on their results?

Com'on Barca! Good old Eugene McCormick or whoever in goals will be in for a treat.

Dont know bout you but brave young 19year old David Marshall was my man of the match.
:)

liam88
25/03/2004, 9:23 PM
HAIL ! HAIL!

WE'LL HOLD THE EURO CUP OVER,
THE GREEN FOR LEAF CLOVER,
TOMMOROW JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE!
THE HOOPS ARE WINNING,
THE CELTS WILL BE SINGING,

...at risk of being branded a biggot i'm gonna put the last line in brackets,

(TOMMOROW WHEN THE NORTH IS FREE!)

;) If anyone can get a different last line that you think fits then write off to the CSC's or post it on here :D

HAIL! HAIL! and here's to the treble..............

lopez
25/03/2004, 9:44 PM
HAIL ! HAIL!

WE'LL HOLD THE EURO CUP OVER,
THE GREEN FOR LEAF CLOVER,
TOMMOROW JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE!
THE HOOPS ARE WINNING,
THE CELTS WILL BE SINGING,

...at risk of being branded a biggot i'm gonna put the last line in brackets,

(TOMMOROW WHEN THE NORTH IS FREE!)

;) If anyone can get a different last line that you think fits then write off to the CSC's or post it on here :D

HAIL! HAIL! and here's to the treble..............
'Tomorrow when the air is smoke free' ? :o

Respect to Celtic. The representatives of the Dutch nation...sorry, Catalan nation, will now have to concentrate on coming second best in Spain.

Plastic Paddy
25/03/2004, 10:47 PM
Respect to Celtic. The representatives of the Dutch nation...sorry, Catalan nation, will now have to concentrate on coming second best in Spain.

Thanks P. You've made your allegiances clear here in the past, but you're man enough to congratulate us when we win. A sporting gentleman.

(PS... my old man claims to like R***ers in order to wind me up. But what would he know? His own cousin was a GAA hurling Allstar in the early 80s, but he dissed him too to wind me up at the time. Enough said. ;) )

Plastic Paddy
26/03/2004, 7:05 AM
Hey SÓC... laughing at you son. :D :D :D :rolleyes:

:D PP - Villarreal here we come!

drinkfeckarse
26/03/2004, 8:18 AM

4-1 to Barca with next years La Liga top scorer bagging one for his future club to at least allow the Celtic fans see Larson score one last time in Europe for them.

Who's the Celtic sub keeper? Eamon Collins?:D

What was that you were saying!? The best defensive display from any team I've seen for a long time

Hail! Hail!

Paddy Ramone
26/03/2004, 8:38 AM
Eh?
Because I chose to support a Catalan team over a Scottish one?

Barcelona also have more Catholic players than Celtic have. Another good reason to support them. Too many Proddies in the Celtic side. Which is why I support Hibs who once had a Catholics only policy that I'm very proud of. I'm too bigoted to support to that bastion of religious tolerance Celtic. :D

Seems just as good a reason to support a team as to support Celtic because they were founded by an Irish Christian Brother.

Celtic were actually founded by an Irish MARIST BROTHER, Brother Walfrid from Ballymote, Co Sligo. The Marist Brothers are a French order with no connection to Irish Christian Brothers except that they're both Catholic. There are Marist Brothers in Sligo, Athlone and Dublin. Brother Walfrid lived in Athlone for a while. The Marist Brothers also have strong connections with New Zealand rugby.

the 12 th man
26/03/2004, 8:44 AM
quote of the evening:on newstalk 106 live radio commentary.in injury time at the end of the match and celtic have their first corner.
commentator "i wonder will marshall come up for it" :D

Paddy Ramone
26/03/2004, 8:53 AM
1-nil to Celtic, good goal. Cross from the right by petrov, larsson headed it down to thompson and took it on a half volley from a little over six yards out. It was a great header by larsson, only a pity im witching it in irish. Don't have a clue what they're saying:mad:

A Celtic fan who can't speak Irish. You're a disgrace. I thought all Celtic could converse as Gaelige with half of them having roots in Donegal and Mayo. :D

SÓC
26/03/2004, 10:13 AM
My support for Barca has nothing to do with the amount of Catholics on their team. Its all about the spirt of the club.

Ah for last night, bloody disgrace. They couldnt put the ball pasted an unexperienced keeper with all the talent. That missed 1 on 1. My god.

Even my father who has sent about 5 text messges in his life sent me a text last night slagging me.

How did Celtic end up in the UEFA Cup anyway? I though they get Champions League for 2nd in their league?

I hope Celtic go on and win the bloody thing now.

liam88
26/03/2004, 11:56 AM
How did Celtic end up in the UEFA Cup anyway? I though they get Champions League for 2nd in their league?

I hope Celtic go on and win the bloody thing now.

We were in the champions league but came 3rd in our group, this puts you in at (round 3?) of the UEFA cup.

I hope we win the cup to :D
HAIL! HAIL!

SÓC
26/03/2004, 12:18 PM
We were in the champions league but came 3rd in our group, this puts you in at (round 3?) of the UEFA cup.

I hope we win the cup to :D
HAIL! HAIL!

a feicit yea Lyon wasnt it.

Ah well Barca will have to console themselves with winning La Liga. 6points and closing in fast on FC Franco

pete
26/03/2004, 1:38 PM
Must admit to being slightly disappointed with the result, like to see Barca do well and hope they continue to close the gap on RM. A great club with a great tradition. Thought Celtic did very well last night and certainly adds to MO'N's impressive lists of Euro scalps.

Yeah Glasgow Celtic were good last night & seems Barca could ahve done with their missing players more than Celtic.

Thought Barca would definitely win & meant weekend accumulator tripped up at first hurdle. :(

Gary
26/03/2004, 5:06 PM
To be fair Celtics defense last night wasnt that great. they would have been hammered if it wasnt for the keeper. He made some great saves.

The only Celtic player to really impress last night, aside from the keeper, was Varga. He was excellent.

Celtic/Newcastle final could be fun.

Plastic Paddy
26/03/2004, 7:16 PM
To be fair Celtics defense last night wasnt that great. they would have been hammered if it wasnt for the keeper. He made some great saves.

The only Celtic player to really impress last night, aside from the keeper, was Varga. He was excellent.

To be fair? You're taking the ****, right? From your above statement, you wouldn't know fair if it bit your nuts off. Our back line were superb, and contributed their share to a superb defensive performance. See your local optician.

Agathe - had Overmars in his pocket. Yer man put one one cross in the entire time he was on the field. Made to look decidedly average.

Kennedy - game of his life. Two saving tackles from the chipmunk otherwise we'd have lost two goals.

McNamara - an ordinary game by his standards. Harried Sergio Garcia out of the game whilst he was on the field.

Thompson - had nothing to do once he'd been deputed to left back, because the afforementioned Garcia couldn't find his way through the midfield.

And I haven't even touched on the superb Lennon, playing in the hole. More tackles than anyone else out there last night, and that's saying something.

We put them out. Eleven against eleven, and we did it. Get over it.

Plastic Paddy
27/03/2004, 10:25 AM
T'was the stuff of legends. Every man who took the field in the Green and White put their heads where others fear to put their feet.

It warmed the heart to see so many Celtic shirts and scarves scattered throughout the Camp Nou. To hear 'The Fields' being sung with such passion at such a vaunted theatre is something that will last long in the memory.

Well done one and all. You did Ireland proud.

HAIL HAIL ! ! !

Well said Dublin Bhoy! I'm sure that everyone hereabouts would agree with such fine sentiments...! ;)

(sits back into trench, awaiting enemy gunfire...)

liam88
27/03/2004, 11:34 AM
I'm sure everyone who is proud to be Irish and of the great achievements that the Paradise club have brought to us will agree anyway....;)

TO RIGHT! I@M WITH YOU LADS !!!! :D

HAIL! HAIL!

lopez
27/03/2004, 11:57 AM
I'm sure everyone who is proud to be Irish and of the great achievements that the Paradise club have brought to us will agree anyway....;)
Above anything else, the club is a success story of the emigrant Irish in Glasgow and their descendents. Long may it continue.

sylvo
27/03/2004, 1:05 PM
Above anything else, the club is a success story of the emigrant Irish in Glasgow and their descendents. Long may it continue.

Well said.

RebelBhoy
28/03/2004, 3:36 PM
6points and closing in fast on FC Franco

Damn right. Up the international brigades (of the 30s)!

Real Madrid= Fascism FC

lopez
28/03/2004, 4:31 PM
Damn right. Up the international brigades (of the 30s)!

Real Madrid= Fascism FC
Does Barstardolona still have that cute little tie-in with Rangers that they sorted out in 2002?

Paddy Ramone
29/03/2004, 7:54 AM
My support for Barca has nothing to do with the amount of Catholics on their team. Its all about the spirt of the club.

I was only joking about supporting Barca because more Catholics played for them. Anyway being a Fascist myself I support Real Madrid, the side of the Great General Franco.

lopez
29/03/2004, 10:23 AM
I was only joking about supporting Barca because more Catholics played for them. Anyway being a Fascist myself I support Real Madrid, the side of the Great General Franco.
Sorry you're misguided Paddy. Franco wasn't a Fascist. He was more of a conservative-cum-reactionary Catholic. Fascists - at least in theory - sought to do something for the working man; hailed the planned economy; and were anti-monarchist and anti-capitalist. Franco's priorities were the opposite of these and the only thing they all had in common was their pledge to destroy democracy.

His attitude to fascists can be seen from his stance towards the number one and two of the Falange prior to the SCW. Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera was executed by the Republicans in Alicante after Fat Frank refused to do a deal that would have saved him. Manuel Hedilla was arrested on trumped up charges and sentenced to death (later rescinded) after refusing to become an impotent part of Franco's 'rainbow' war government. The Falange were later fused together with the authoritarian Monarchists of the Carlists into the Spanish Traditional Falange (an oxymoron if ever there was one) later 'el movimiento.' Hence the name 'newshirts' for our friends from Madrid, taken from the de facto Spanish anthem of Fat Frank's reign 'Cara al sol' (Face the sun). The newshirt replacing the old blueshirt of the Primo's Falange and symbolically worn by the flood of converts that followed Franco's victory, who had no previous interest in fascism.

liam88
29/03/2004, 10:30 AM
HAIL! HAIL!

Paddy Ramone
29/03/2004, 12:10 PM
Sorry you're misguided Paddy. Franco wasn't a Fascist. He was more of a conservative-cum-reactionary Catholic. Fascists - at least in theory - sought to do something for the working man; hailed the planned economy; and were anti-monarchist and anti-capitalist. Franco's priorities were the opposite of these and the only thing they all had in common was their pledge to destroy democracy.

His attitude to fascists can be seen from his stance towards the number one and two of the Falange prior to the SCW. Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera was executed by the Republicans in Alicante after Fat Frank refused to do a deal that would have saved him. Manuel Hedilla was arrested on trumped up charges and sentenced to death (later rescinded) after refusing to become an impotent part of Franco's 'rainbow' war government. The Falange were later fused together with the authoritarian Monarchists of the Carlists into the Spanish Traditional Falange (an oxymoron if ever there was one) later 'el movimiento.' Hence the name 'newshirts' for our friends from Madrid, taken from the de facto Spanish anthem of Fat Frank's reign 'Cara al sol' (Face the sun). The newshirt replacing the old blueshirt of the Primo's Falange and symbolically worn by the flood of converts that followed Franco's victory, who had no previous interest in fascism.

Thanks for correcting me there about Franco. But didn't Franco have links with the Nazis. I suppose the Irish Blueshirts weren't fascists in the truest sense either since most of them were middle class farmers and conservative right wing Catholics as far as I know.

Éanna
29/03/2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah, the Franco regime is always referred to as Francoist rather than fascist because it was all about him. The Falange Espanola was the closest thing that spain had to a fascist movement and they fought with Franco in the Civil war and at the end he very cleverly united a number of right-wing movements under the umbrella of Falange Espanola y las JONS which kept them all reasonably happy, but most importantly, kept him in power. the guy was only worried about number one- hence his partnerships with Hitler and Mussolini- he'd have taken help from anyone bar the Soviets if it had suited him.

lopez
29/03/2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for correcting me there about Franco. But didn't Franco have links with the Nazis. I suppose the Irish Blueshirts weren't fascists in the truest sense either since most of them were middle class farmers and conservative right wing Catholics as far as I know.
He did, but as we later saw he also had links with the Americans too, bringing them in to set up air bases in Spain as the quid pro quo for some dollars. He did however later claim that the only decent thing to come from it all was that the Yanks cleared out Madrid's brothels. As a footnote, it almost cost a lot more: An USAF jet carrying a nuclear bomb crashed into the see off the Costa Brava circa 1971. Luckily the b*stard didn't go off.

Fat Frank was deeply anti-communist (the link between the Nazis and the Yanks). While he was reluctant to fight the British and Americans (the former had given him a bit of a hand in the SCW) he sent a rake of soldiers (the Blue Division) to help the Nazis fight the Soviet Union.