PDA

View Full Version : Home matches on a thursday

James
01/06/2001, 8:39 PM
What does everyone think of the fact that dundalk will play all of their home games on a thursday night.

the reasoning behind this is the fact that their bar + function room is booked out on a fri/sat night for wedings and function, which would make more money in the bar, so the football matches get moved to thursday

Dundalk FC. doesnt the FC stand for Football club though.
By playing on a thursday night dundalk have dramicatally reduced or elimenated completely any chance of away support going to Oriel Park. i mean its far enough to get to but to have to leave on a half day from say cork and then face the drive back in the middle of the night only to face work again on a friday morn. it's just not on, and i for one will not be attending oriel with this stupid policy in place

james

Neil
01/06/2001, 8:51 PM
It's a stupid idea alright. Surely they would get good crowds down from Dublin especially, if matches weren't on Thurs.

Then again, what are the chances of us going to the away matches in Oriel this season, even if they were on a Friday or Saturday night?!!!

James
01/06/2001, 8:56 PM
Dunno Neil you might find a few willing to drive up for a weekend match if they didnt have work the next day. the problem will always be work as you know you cant always get day off when you want them.

that said though you will only ever get diehards travelling to places like Oriel park or the brandywell. I have never been to those 2 ground for the simple reason that they are too far away.

But the point is that the chances of anyone going would undoubtedly be increased by playing them on the weekends

James

Neil
01/06/2001, 9:08 PM
I agree...
And hopefully next season their will be a bus going to each away match. This, I think, is what the supporters club want to have ideally. And it would be a great set-up if you had a group who would go to most away games, or at least an average of 20-30 every other week from a bigger pool of supporters.

James
01/06/2001, 9:12 PM
"if you build it they will come"

definately the case with city fans and away matches

if there was a bus organised then you would find more people going. i mean there was how many organised last year Longford cup match / kilkenny league / shels league and that was it as far as i could remember

this has to be improved for next year to increase away support

james

Neil
01/06/2001, 9:20 PM
but anyway, back to discussing Dundalk!!
(we only think of ourselves!!!)

joe
01/06/2001, 10:35 PM
I can't understand why they don't just go back to Sunday afternoons - do they have functions booked then as well?

Daniel McD
03/06/2001, 11:50 PM
Sunday afternoons = Sky = bad crowds = no way

We have floodlights, when we play on Saturdays we get good crowds. I detest the Thursday decision

Cork fans need not worry, all games v Cork will take place on Sunday afternoons, but just like recent years, there will be less than ten Cork fans present

With a top class motorway there, Dundalk is only 50 minutes to an hour drive further away than Dublin, while Derry is way more. No reason why Cork fans shouldn't make the journey in more numbers

joe
03/06/2001, 11:54 PM
I don't think Sky has that much affact on Sunday afternoon attendances - Cork have been doing alright in recent years, much better than Friday nights out in Bishopstown anyway!

If the Dundalk matches are on Sunday then there might be a supporters club bus travel this season, you never know!

Daniel McD
04/06/2001, 12:17 AM
the Dundalk match, WILL, be on Sunday versus Cork, like it was against Cobh this year

Its up to you now !

James
04/06/2001, 5:36 PM
good to know its on a sunday
will try to make it up there so, if i'm home from boston

james

still think playing matches on a thursday night is rediculous

pete
05/06/2001, 12:18 PM
If the league allows Dundalk to play games on thursday then they are entitled to do so. However I think in future years this option should be removed.

If Dundalk want to play on thursday how do they play a mid-week cup or league game?

I'm glad to hear City games in Dundalk are to be played on Sundays. I'll definitely be there on a sunday as what else is there to do. :cool: