PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon for Dundee United?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

pixiehead
23/12/2009, 5:59 AM
Looks like Michael O Neill is set for Scotland
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/dundee-want-orsquoneill-14608516.html

Big Loss for the league

mypost
23/12/2009, 6:40 AM

Big Loss for the league

2+2 = 5 I think.

We had this stuff when the Hibernian job was vacant, and probably this speculation will come every time some club in Scotland wants a boss. :rolleyes:

Flexy
23/12/2009, 8:49 AM
And last week he was a cert for the Norn Iron job. He is an excellent young manager and in demand, so his name will be raised with every Scottish job. He is an 8/1 mid runner according to the Scottish press. McInnes of St Johnstone is the favourite and I wouldn't rule John Collins out.
Think he has little chance of becoming their manager. Michaels a great manager but think its a bit too soon for him, Mc Innes John Collins and Paul Sturrock would be well ahead of him as Dundee United would be receiving a decent package from the SFA for compensation

Martinho II
23/12/2009, 9:54 AM
considering Paul Sturrock is out of football at present after losing the Plymouth job and considering he managed them before I think Sturrock will take the Dundee Utd job..

The Betting Man
23/12/2009, 11:12 AM
considering Paul Sturrock is out of football at present after losing the Plymouth job and considering he managed them before I think Sturrock will take the Dundee Utd job..

He is not out of a job he is still involved with Plymouth.

Acornvilla
23/12/2009, 11:21 AM
He is not out of a job he is still involved with Plymouth.
director of football i think?

danthesaint
23/12/2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/dundee-want-orsquoneill-14608516.html

Big Loss for the league

doesnt really make sense for him to upsticks at this stage, he is putting together a decent team with homeless rovers.

altho stranger things have happened in football

pineapple stu
23/12/2009, 11:49 AM
Thread title updated; two teams in Dundee!

Acornvilla
23/12/2009, 11:59 AM
Thread title updated; two teams in Dundee!
theres probably more? :)

Row Z
23/12/2009, 12:31 PM
Sturrock is fighting a serious illness at present and wont be taking on any full time job, thats why he got Mariner on board, so he can take a back seat.

TheBoss
23/12/2009, 1:29 PM
Sturrock is fighting a serious illness at present and wont be taking on any full time job, thats why he got Mariner on board, so he can take a back seat.

I think he has Parkinson's Disease.

weecountyman
23/12/2009, 1:32 PM
It would be a pretty decent stamp for the LOI if he did go to Dundee United. They're a club with a strong tradition and decent financial set up, that they are interested in signing him makes our league look better, if only a little. If he does go, who then steps into the Tallaght hotspot? I'd back Paul Doolin.

JC_GUFC
23/12/2009, 4:48 PM
O'Neill is second fav for the job with Paddy Power.

Pat Fenlon and Sean Connor also listed - I wonder if either of them would be interested. Nutsy looked like he could have been going to Peterborough a few months back.

http://www.paddypower.com/football/football-specials/manager-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=121755

SkStu
23/12/2009, 4:57 PM
O'Neill is second fav for the job with Paddy Power.

Pat Fenlon and Sean Connor also listed - I wonder if either of them would be interested. Nutsy looked like he could have been going to Peterborough a few months back.

http://www.paddypower.com/football/football-specials/manager-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=121755

whats the bets the passenger listing for the red eye flight from Cork to Dundee contains a Roderick Collins...

pixiehead
23/12/2009, 8:58 PM
whats the bets the passenger listing for the red eye flight from Cork to Dundee contains a Roderick Collins...

Roderick :D

Dyl10
24/12/2009, 6:24 PM
Nutsy looked like he could have been going to Peterborough a few months back.

Apparently that was all smoke

SkStu
28/12/2009, 3:55 PM
looks like O'Neill has gotten the job or at least on the shortlist of 2, depending on the rumours you listen to.

Connor for Rovers.

Magicme
28/12/2009, 4:43 PM
or Jim Gannon for Rovers? Been let go by Motherwell.

SligoBrewer
28/12/2009, 5:33 PM
Market suspended by Paddy Power. Hmm.

Martinho II
28/12/2009, 5:43 PM
or Jim Gannon for Rovers? Been let go by Motherwell.

where did you hear that about Jim Gannin magicme?? I was readin an interview with him today in one of the soccer mags statin his paranoia at the scottish media!!

**FrOsTy**
28/12/2009, 5:46 PM
I seen in about Gannon on Sky Sports News this morning.

Longfordian
28/12/2009, 5:50 PM
Sacked because he apparently wouldn't commit his future to the club. I wasn't paying too close attention but from what I can recall he was doing a reasonable job with them.

Magicme
28/12/2009, 5:51 PM
It was running along the bottem of the Sky News at 5pm. Wonder what happened.

Doomofman
28/12/2009, 5:53 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5806009,00.html

Martinho II
28/12/2009, 6:06 PM
I wonder does Jim Gannon regret leaving Stockport County now .. Wonder would we ever see him back in the loi??

Dunny
28/12/2009, 6:10 PM
Club Statement

Motherwell part company with manager

Motherwell Football Club announced today (Monday, December 28) that it has parted company with its manager, Jim Gannon.

The Motherwell Board of Directors said the decision was not related in ‘any way whatsoever’ to recent results.

Motherwell FC chairman, John Boyle, said: “It is deeply regrettable that the board has felt it necessary to part company with the manager at this stage of the season but we have reached a situation where we felt there was no other option.

“Generally results on the field have been satisfactory since Jim Gannon was appointed and the Board wishes to make it clear that today’s decision is not related in any way whatsoever to recent results.

“Over the past couple of months it has become abundantly clear that the manager was not fully committed to the Club and, despite our best efforts, he repeatedly refused to sign a contract. Relations between the manager, staff and directors deteriorated to the extent that the situation became untenable. ”

Gordon Young, the club’s head of youth, will take charge of the team for Wednesday’s SPL match against Hearts at Tynecastle.

SligoBrewer
30/12/2009, 4:09 AM
Dundee Utd have put the bookies favourite in as caretaker and told him he has a month to prove himself.

Gannon strongly linked with the Sheffield Wed job.

What the fudge are you on about?

Assistant who is in charge doesn't want it. (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/12/27/dundee-united-0-kilmarnock-0-86908-21925164/)

Walter Smith tells Dundee to appoint him anyways. (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article6970981.ece)

Redie
30/12/2009, 12:31 PM
Latest odds from a local Dundee bookie www.mcbookie.co.uk (http://www.mcbookie.co.uk/)

J McGlynn 3/1
P Houston 3/1
J Calderwood 5/1
D McInnes 6/1
B Reid 7/1
J Collins 8/1
M O'Neill 10/1
J Jeffries 10/1
J McInally 14/1
A Moore 14/1
P Sturrock 20/1
M Krivokapić 20/1
G Burley 20/1
M Paatelainen 20/1
B Dodds 25/1
M Malpas 25/1

Is that Jim McInally who managed Sligo Rovers for a brief spell

sligoman
30/12/2009, 4:09 PM
Is that Jim McInally who managed Sligo Rovers for a brief spellYes. He's doing a great job at East Stirlingshire at the moment.

Martinho II
31/12/2009, 1:21 PM
Yes. He's doing a great job at East Stirlingshire at the moment.

didnt know that Jim McInally was still managing...

The Lilywhites
31/12/2009, 3:33 PM
Dundee Utd have put the bookies favourite in as caretaker and told him he has a month to prove himself.

Good start for him last night :)

WoodquayBoy
01/01/2010, 11:18 PM
Good start for him last night :)
At least they scored!!

Jicked
04/01/2010, 7:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8440296.stm

Pat the Rat interviewed for the job. Unless he doesn't get it, in which case he had no intention of ever leaving Bohs, and goes back to desperately applying for any gig going.

Fantastic article that from the beeb too, Bohemians have won the 'Eircom League' for the past three seasons apparently!

SkStu
04/01/2010, 7:23 PM
we also did the three in a row according to that article.

Good times just got even better. :)

and goes back to desperately applying for any gig going.

Whatever makes you sleep at night Jicked.

That said, I would be massively disappointed if he left for Dundee United.

Jicked
04/01/2010, 7:35 PM
Fenlon on applying for the Peterborough gig:
""I had the chance to go but I didn't feel it was right," said Fenlon. "You get a feeling about things.

Peterborough's Chairman on the same:
MacAnthony told the Peterborough Evening Telegraph: "It's typical nonsense from every person associated with the job.

"He was interviewed and, as I did with all the candidates, we spoke terms so I wouldn't have to revisit the subject if they were the one I wanted.

"Fenlon and others phoned Barry Fry after their interviews to get in front of me again so they could land the job.

Off making more applications to Dundee Utd now, obviously not overly delighted with lot, or worried about the future, at Bohs. I've little doubt that if MON dissapeared off the face of the planet tomorrow Fenlon would be sounding some sources out for the Rovers gig.

SkStu
04/01/2010, 7:41 PM
so thats 2 applications and one imaginary Rovers-wet-dream scenario that you can muster up.

Yeah, he's applied for any gig going alright. Good man.

Dave_SRFC
04/01/2010, 7:45 PM
Spot on Jicked,

Fenlon on applying for the Peterborough gig:
""I had the chance to go but I didn't feel it was right," said Fenlon. "You get a feeling about things.

Peterborough's Chairman on the same:
MacAnthony told the Peterborough Evening Telegraph: "It's typical nonsense from every person associated with the job.

"He was interviewed and, as I did with all the candidates, we spoke terms so I wouldn't have to revisit the subject if they were the one I wanted.

"Fenlon and others phoned Barry Fry after their interviews to get in front of me again so they could land the job.

Off making more applications to Dundee Utd now, obviously not overly delighted with lot, or worried about the future, at Bohs. I've little doubt that if MON dissapeared off the face of the planet tomorrow Fenlon would be sounding some sources out for the Rovers gig.

Jicked
04/01/2010, 7:47 PM
Pat Fenlon in charge of Rovers would be a disaster, 'wet dream scenario' it certainly aint :) The fact that Fenlon has applied for two jobs (that we know of) in the space of two months surely does say a little about his commitment long term. Notts County still don't have a manager, even they should be able to match Fenlon's budget desires!

SkStu
04/01/2010, 10:19 PM
O'Neill is still on the shortlist too according to most of the Scottish rags. But most seem to be leading the story with Fenlon.

I hope he doesnt get the job but i would wish him all the best if he left to go test himself in a bigger pond than the league of ireland.

marinobohs
05/01/2010, 10:26 AM
O'Neill is still on the shortlist too according to most of the Scottish rags. But most seem to be leading the story with Fenlon.

I hope he doesnt get the job but i would wish him all the best if he left to go test himself in a bigger pond than the league of ireland.

Only natural that if looking at managers here they would look at the best in the League first. Would obviously like to see him stay at Dalymount but can't blaim anyone for trying to better themselves - if shams believe that MON would turn the job down to stay at Tallaght then they are dreaming.

CMcC
05/01/2010, 11:07 AM
I'm not surpriosed he wants out of this league. Its a joke shop at this stage. SPL is a bigger league, more exposure, more money, better grounds (though possibly not a hugely better caliber of player in the main). Most importantly the club is in good shape. Massively better shape than the state Dunfermline were in when Kenny joined them. The fact that they are not a basket case and challenging for a european spot would be major attractions to Fenlon.

He has done everything he needs to do here and he has been outspoken many times about the shambolic way the league is run. With his sucess he is going to be linked with jobs across the water. A massive loss to Bohs if he goes but a opportunity he definately could not refuse IF he is offered. Therefore I believe he will take it if the position is offered to him. However it seems to be far from clear cut the more reports you read.

Re a previous post about his loyalty to the club. If he stayed with Bohs and delivered another league title, I dont think many bohs fans woud give a curse he was applying for/linked with other positions during the season. Just like it hasnt bothered them to date. He has shown his loyalty by winning 2 titles and getting the best out of his side consistently. Thats what counts. Sucessful people will always be in demand. Good luck to him.

CMcC
05/01/2010, 11:38 AM
I was more commenting on his lack of discretion in applying for jobs. To me, thats whats 'disloyal' about it. He is clearly spinning for whatever reason.

Fact is he has done it on the pitch for Bohs. Cant show much more loyalty to the club than that. If he wants to move up a level you cant really blame him - especially given this league is now a farce. Bohs fans seem to have accepted that it comes with the territory so maybe you shouldn't worry too much about his 'disloyalty' to the club and their supporters. I'm sure they appreciate your concern though;)

CSFShels
05/01/2010, 11:44 AM
Bohs are in serious trouble if he gos.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
05/01/2010, 12:03 PM
Sean Connor is looking for a job....

blue til i die
05/01/2010, 1:28 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/dundee-united/148180-united-approach-pat-fenlon-for-vacant-managers-job/

Bohemians agree for their manager to speak to the SPL club over becoming Craig Levein's replacement.

Réiteoir
05/01/2010, 1:48 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/dundee-united/148180-united-approach-pat-fenlon-for-vacant-managers-job/

Bohemians agree for their manager to speak to the SPL club over becoming Craig Levein's replacement.

Would say in that case then it'll be a done deal.

Best of luck

Dalymountrower
05/01/2010, 2:01 PM
Would say in that case then it'll be a done deal.

Best of luck

Looks like it. Bad news for Bohs good news for the rest of the league.

Dalymountrower
05/01/2010, 2:08 PM
Latest reportage from Scottish Evening Telegraph

Fenlon won’t come cheap
Irish champions Bohemians are prepared to fight to hang on their manager should Dundee United make any attempt to lure the highly-rated Pat Fenlon to Tannadice (write Tom Duthie and Graeme Finnan).
Multi-title winner Fenlon was one of the men Tangerines chairman Stephen Thompson held talks with during a flying visit to England yesterday.
There has been speculation the other interviewee was former United and Scotland midfielder Billy McKinlay, though that has not been confirmed by the club.

While it should be stressed the two are among a number of possible replacements for Craig Levein, Bohemians have wasted no time in saying they would not welcome any approaches for their man.

Gerry Conway, the Dublin outfit’s chief executive, has made that clear and it’s understood they would demand sizeable compensation for a man who is regarded by many as a future Ireland manager.

“As far as Bohemians Football Club are concerned, Pat is committed to a long-term contract and we expect him to be in charge for the new season,” said Conway.

“Pat is currently on holiday and we haven’t been contacted by Dundee United or any other club with regard to speaking to him.

“Everything is in place for Pat to continue his success for next season as we have agreed terms with several players and have ambitions to win more silverware as we will be involved in the Premier Division, FAI Cup, EA Sports Cup, Setanta Sports Cup as well as being in Europe.

“It is not that surprising other clubs are interested in Pat, as he is an excellent manager.

“Any manager who wins five league trophies in seven seasons has to be a target for other clubs, but he still has three years to run on his current deal and we expect to start the new season with him in charge.”

CMcC
05/01/2010, 2:25 PM
Would be interested to see the timing of that Gerry Conway interview. I assume it was last night or this morning. Subsequently he obviously has given his permission - when faced with the inevitible. The whole point of the interview was purely postering for compo which is all Bohs can do.

I assume a deal has been done with Fenlon already - hence the need to now go down the official road. That seems to be the way things are done now days and in reality there is nothing clubs can do to stop it happening.

I wonder is there 100K in it for Bohs or am I being too ambitious?

This has thrown the cat amoung the pigeons now.

sligoman
05/01/2010, 2:27 PM
for a man who is regarded by many as a future Ireland manager.Does anyone actually think that?:confused: