PDA

View Full Version : Gary Deegan

CMcC
22/12/2009, 10:13 AM
Signed on a 3.5 year deal. He's a definate future Irish international.

neutrino
22/12/2009, 10:17 AM
Signed on a 3.5 year deal. He's a definate future Irish international.

it's Gary Deegan :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
22/12/2009, 10:17 AM
Assume you mean Gary Deegan?

irishfan86
22/12/2009, 10:20 AM
I was impressed when I saw him in the Champion's League qualifiers. Looks like he's got a good engine.

Between Deegan, Westwood, Best, and Morrison, Coventry will be a good team to keep track of from an Irish point of view.

sligoman
22/12/2009, 11:00 AM
Signed on a 3.5 year deal.For who, Ireland?:confused:

irishultra
22/12/2009, 11:24 AM
He's good. Let's see how he develops.

KK77
22/12/2009, 11:28 AM
I for some reason thought he had signed a pre-contract with Ipswich:confused: Good move to a good club Coventry. Best of luck to him.

irishultra
22/12/2009, 11:33 AM
Brian Murphy you were thinking of maby? Unlike Keith Fahey when he was here I wouldn't be calling for Deegan to get called up. I like him, and he's more of a Trap player but he's limited in his style of play. Fahey had that raw creativity that you get playing in a small domestic league which I would loved to seen used at the time....sorry for going off point

L.T.F.C.
22/12/2009, 11:46 AM
ohhh he learned his trade at the town... :p

Keen2win
22/12/2009, 11:49 AM
And to think there was talk of him staying with us when we got relegated! That would have fu**d him up! Well done!

KK77
22/12/2009, 11:58 AM
Brian Murphy you were thinking of maby? Unlike Keith Fahey when he was here I wouldn't be calling for Deegan to get called up. I like him, and he's more of a Trap player but he's limited in his style of play. Fahey had that raw creativity that you get playing in a small domestic league which I would loved to seen used at the time....sorry for going off point

No defo read both him and Murphy going to Ipswich though that was back in August.

ofjames
22/12/2009, 1:16 PM
i thought he was ipswich bound too. i definitely read it somewhere. hopefully he does well at coventry

CMcC
22/12/2009, 1:25 PM
it's Gary Deegan :rolleyes:

Oops didnt have my cornflakes this morning.

SkStu
22/12/2009, 1:40 PM
this guy will represent Ireland, im sure of it.

OneRedArmy
22/12/2009, 2:19 PM
If I move back to work in England will I automatically get a thread in the Ireland sub-forum?

NeilMcD
22/12/2009, 3:12 PM
No because as far as I can tell you are not a footballer.

paul_oshea
22/12/2009, 3:47 PM
He is a rugby player ;)

OneRedArmy
22/12/2009, 4:21 PM
He is a rugby player ;)
At least I'll get a thread in the Other Sports sub-forum so....

Patrick Dunne
22/12/2009, 10:04 PM
Former Galway United player also. Best of luck to him.

Acornvilla
24/12/2009, 8:49 AM
He told me they were the worst few months of his life
and his time with longrord were the best :D

gilberto_eire
27/12/2009, 4:37 AM
He told me they were the worst few months of his life

Pillow talk?:confused:

joema
29/12/2009, 9:56 PM
Former Kilkenny City player.

He's absolute quality, IMO.

Irish_Praha
01/01/2010, 1:40 PM
Shels, Kilkenny, Longford, Galway, Bohs and now Coventry.
I can see the "journeyman" agrument being put into use later when someone wants to disagree that he's a decent player.

irishultra
01/01/2010, 9:27 PM
He definetly has a chance if Keith Andrews can make it.

Acornvilla
02/01/2010, 12:04 PM
He definetly has a chance if Keith Andrews can make it.
if djimi traore can win a champions league medal anything is possible

tetsujin1979
09/01/2010, 5:35 PM
came off the bench today for his debut VS Barnsley at the Ricoh Arena

CMcC
19/01/2010, 9:47 AM
Played 72 mins or so against Ipswich at the weekend. Performed well enough according to report I read - made their keeper make a very good save also.

SkStu
31/01/2010, 6:46 AM
COVENTRY City battled to a point against ten-man Blackpool after a highly charged second half at the Ricoh Arena.

Both sides had good opportunities to open the scoring but a combination of good shotstopping and the goals being just a little too narrow ensured the game stayed goalless at the break.

But the second period saw a red card in the opening five minutes after the restart, a spectatcular 30-yard opener from the visitors and a Sky Blues equaliser created by two of the club's January signings.

Michael McIndoe could have opened the scoring for the Sky Blues in the opening few seconds after making an intelligent run picked out with a through ball by Baker, the Scotsman's effort at goal forcing a good save from Blackpool 'keeper Paul Rachubka.

Both sides appeared keen to play the opening moments of the game at pace, but for all the interplay, dummy runs and frantic action in the centre of the park neither side fashioned another opportunity on goal until the 21st minute when a blocked City free kick fell to Aron Gunnarsson who dragged a shot wide.

Seasiders skipper Charlie Adam tried his luck from range on 26 minutes with an effort from 30 yards, the ball cutting the grass but never troubling Keiren Westwood's goalmouth.

But the visitors were almost ahead two minutes later when a first-touch back pass from Martin Cranie to Westwood fell short and into the path of Keith Southern only for the midfielder to touch his effort wide of the far post under attention from Richard Wood.

The Sky Blues went equally as close just after the half hour mark when a clever move allowed Leon Best to beat the offside trap hut steer his shot wide of goal with Rachubka to beat and Evatt on his heels.

Pint-sized Blackpool wideman Barry Bannan should have done better with a half volleyed effort from 12 yards out on 36 minutes after a slick exchange of passes by the visitors in City's final third.

Brett Ormerod then slid a shot at goal from the edge of the area seven minutes before half time after dispossessing Sammy Clingan on the touchline.

The Tangerines striker forced Westwood off his line to make a good save two minutes later, Bannan's through ball allowing him to get behind the City defence which quickly closed him down to limit the quality of his effort.

Baker went close for City with just moments of the first half to go though, getting on the end of McIndoe's cross from the left only to glance his header across goal and inches wide of the far post.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher registered the first effort of the second half, collecting a long diagional ball from Alex Baptiste and forcing a good save out of Westwood for a corner.

The resulting corner was then tipped over the bar by the City 'keeper and a second set piece saw Charlie Adam head wide from ten yards out.

The pressure from the away continued when Taylor-Fletcher was felled 20 yards out for a free kick.

Adam's initial effort was blocked by the City wall but Bannan followed up with a sweet drive which hit the underside of the bar, bounced down onto the line and away from goal.

The activities of the opening five minutes of the second half then intensified when Ormerod saw a straight red card after a clash with City midfielder Aron Gunnarsson

Referee Dean Whitestone handed the striker his marching orders after an exchange between the pair ended with Gunnarsson floored and holding face, eventually prompting his withdrawal for Gary Deegan.

It was the visitors who broke the deadlock though on 68 minutes through Bannan with a spectactular strike from 30 yards, picking up a loose ball central to the goal with his strike beating Westwood underneath his crossbar, bouncing down and back up into the roof of the net, almost a carbon copy of his strike at the start of the second half.

Coventry substitute Freddy Eastwood took just three minutes to register his first effort at goal after replacing Leon Best in the 75th minute, a shot from the corner of the Blackpool area with the outside of his boot which only narrowly overshot Rachubka's top corner.

The Sky Blues were level though with eight minutes to go although duscussion of who got the final touch to guide the ball into the net will gho into debate.

There was no question of the quality produced by Baker to carve open the opportunity though, the Merseysider twice getting off the ground tob eat two defenders and cut inside from the right and lay the ball onto Deegan whose shot, through a pair of deflections, eventually beat Rachubka at his near post.

The Sky Blues could also have snatched it in the second of seven added minutes, Morrison showing good awareness with his back to goal to release to McIndoe on the overlap only for his low cross for the onrushing Deegan to meet the Blackpool 'keeper and ensure the two sides shared the spoils.

Attendance: 16,019 (1,077 away)

SkStu
13/02/2010, 2:37 PM
Deegan definitely scores his forst this weekend.

9:36 GOAL - Gary Deegan:
Coventry 1 - 0 QPR Gary Deegan gets on the score sheet with a goal from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Coventry 1-0 QPR.

SkStu
21/03/2010, 2:53 PM
another one for Gary Deegan today - duck to water.

Gary Deegan grabs a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Leicester 2-2 Coventry.

Big suspicion of offside from several Coventry players but the goal is awarded after Clinton Morrison plays in Gary Deegan, who slots the ball home. Chris Coleman goes nuts on the touchline. Dramatic finish on the cards?

irishfan86
22/03/2010, 2:56 PM
Deegan didn't impress me much during the game -- he gave the ball away a lot, and Leicester controlled the game quite a bit in the midfield.

That said, he is combative and a good athlete...I'm sure he would work well as a "Trap midfielder."

SkStu
25/03/2010, 2:37 PM
Evening Herald football correspondent Aidan Fitzmaurice interviewed ex-Bohs midfielder Gary Deegan about his experience with Coventry City.

This shortened version of his article is published with the kind permission of the Evening Herald.

BEING SENT to Coventry was the best thing to happen in the five-year senior career of midfielder Gary Deegan as the former Bohemians man is loving life with Coventry City. Coventry boss Chris Coleman paid Bohemians £90,000 to secure the services of Deegan, 22, when the 2009 League of Ireland season ended, a pittance compared to the money splashed out before that on players like Freddy Eastwood (£1.2 milion) but the midfielder has already earned his keep.

Deegan, who made his debut in senior football with Shelbourne in 2005, has responded with some fine performances and some important goals: “two goals in four starts” he states, his latest goal an equaliser against Leicester City last Saturday (20 March). But there's one thing that makes his blood boil and that’s the underlying, patronising attitude in sections of the game and the media in England towards Irish football.

Deegan learned his trade in the League of Ireland, starting out with Shelbourne, finishing up with Bohemians but playing for Kilkenny City, Longford Town and Galway United in between, and he gets annoyed when the country that produced him is depicted as something from a Punch cartoon of old.

“It really annoys me sometimes and I have to grind my teeth to stop myself from reacting,” Deegan told the Herald. “You hear comments all the time. I did an interview with the BBC a while ago and I thought some of their questions were very ignorant, going on about how big a step-up this was for me, compared to where I came from, as if I was a kid who had just stepped off the boat. “Some people in England think that we play with jumpers for goalposts in the league back home. Last year I was playing in the Champions League, it’s not mickey mouse stuff. “They seem to know nothing about the league back home, or else they ask patronising questions, and it really bothers me. I know the league has had its faults and its problems but I was brought up in the League of Ireland, I was proud to play for clubs like Bohs and Shels, I won’t forget where I came from,” added Deegan.

He won back-to-back league titles with Bohs, and though the Gypsies side from last season was weakened by the sale of Deegan to Coventry and the departure of keeper Brian Murphy to Ipswich Town, Deegan feels that his Bohs side could compete with clubs in his present place of employment.

“I played in a very good Bohs side last season, with some very good players, and having played over here for a few months now I feel that Bohs could hold their own in the Championship, mid-table at least,” he says. “I don’t want to see Bohs lose any more players, but if Chris Coleman was to ask me if there were any more decent players back home, I’d have no problem in recommending someone like Conor Powell or Paul Keegan.”

Quiet-spoken Deegan says he hasn’t had his head turned by big salaries and the WAG culture since he moved to England. When the English season finishes in May, he’s not off to Dubai for a month with some celeb pals but is heading straight to Dublin for a holiday there. “I’m a home bird, Dublin’s the place for me,” he jokes.

But one thing has changed – and it’s very welcome in his career. Deegan’s style of play saw him compared to a pit bull at times and that reputation, along with some “silly mistakes” on the field last season, saw him clock up a number of disciplinary matters. He missed 14 league games for Bohs last season and many of those absences were due to suspension. “It’s something I was aware of and something I have worked on, I have matured as well,” said Deegan, who was sent off three times in the space of 13 games last term. “I made some mistakes last season and did some silly things, and then you earn a reputation with referees as a troublemaker. I had that in my head coming over here and I have changed, I have been booked just once in 13 games so far, touch wood.”

irishfan86
25/03/2010, 10:09 PM
Sounds like he's pretty mature for his age, and I like his attitude. With his style of play, I think he very much fits the Trap mould in terms of what a central midfielder should be. He has every chance of becoming a squad member for the upcoming campaign.

tetsujin1979
25/03/2010, 11:35 PM
He's playing well in an average Coventry side. I know we're not in a position to disregard players, but at best he's got Whelan, Andrews, McCarthy, Miller, Gibson and probably McCann, and Steven Reid in front of him in the queue

irishfan86
25/03/2010, 11:49 PM
He's playing well in an average Coventry side. I know we're not in a position to disregard players, but at best he's got Whelan, Andrews, McCarthy, Miller, Gibson and probably McCann, and Steven Reid in front of him in the queue

I don't think McCarthy is in the mix for a central midfield spot -- Trap used him as one of his wide players last time, and he's been playing in attacking positions for Wigan, mainly...

dr_peepee
26/03/2010, 10:35 AM
I'd say he's got enough about him to adapt should Trap require it.

SkStu
26/03/2010, 1:43 PM
he's got Whelan, Andrews, McCarthy, Miller, Gibson and probably McCann, and Steven Reid in front of him in the queue

I agree but all he can do is continue to play as well as he can. Dont know if you saw him much for Bohs, Tets, but once he settles and adapts i think he will be a standout player in the Championship, probably next season. He has the ability. He is also only 22 so he has time on his side.

tetsujin1979
27/03/2010, 8:24 PM
no, I didn't see him play for Bohs, but then I can count on one hand the number of Bohs games I've ever seen.
It's not that I don't want him to succeed, or even don't think he will, just that between players playing at a higher level (Whelan, McCarthy, etc) and players whom Trapattoni seem to favour (Miller) he'll have a hell of a job to do to get into the current squad.

CMcC
30/03/2010, 3:28 PM
Give him time.

SkStu
04/02/2012, 3:40 PM
Goal - Gary Deegan - Coventry 2 - 1 Ipswich Gary Deegan gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Coventry 2-1 Ipswich.

tetsujin1979
04/08/2012, 2:13 PM
Deegan leaves Coventry and signs for Hibs: http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120804/midfielder-joins-hibernian_2262950_2871222

Acornvilla
04/08/2012, 2:55 PM
Wasn't he sacked by coventry for writing ''up the Ra'' on Twitter or something.

Charlie Darwin
04/08/2012, 3:12 PM
Suspended and politely told he should find a new club ASAP. Good to see him pick a politically-neutral team in a non-sectarian location like Scotland.

peadar1987
04/08/2012, 3:24 PM
To be fair to Hibs, they're not just an Edinburgh Celtic. If you live in Edinburgh, your choice of team is almost purely geographical. The morons who are into sectarianism probably don't even realise what "Hibernian" means.

tetsujin1979
09/10/2012, 9:27 AM
attacked in Edinburgh last night, had his jaw broken: http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/hibs-star-gary-deegan-s-jaw-broken-by-attacker-during-night-out-1-2565934

gastric
09/10/2012, 10:13 AM
attacked in Edinburgh last night, had his jaw broken: http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/hibs-star-gary-deegan-s-jaw-broken-by-attacker-during-night-out-1-2565934

It wasn't Adam Hamill by any chance who was fighting him?

Olé Olé
09/10/2012, 11:22 AM

Nice to see James McPake's unwavering support and commitment towards his beloved Northern Ireland by reveling in a night out before joining up with his international side.

the bear
09/10/2012, 3:37 PM

Jaw broken by a man wearing skinny jeans, doesn't get much worse than that:D

Charlie Darwin
20/07/2013, 4:12 AM
On trial with Northampton after being released by Hibs and failing to impress at Yeovil: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/gary-deegan-trial-former-sky-5137545