PDA

View Full Version : Irish beat Henry in Cheats & Moaners Award

Paddy Garcia
21/12/2009, 10:41 PM
Sunday Times Awards "What a year it’s been for cheats, bigheads and moaners"

"While we’re on basketball, it had been expected that Thierry Henry would win a prize for his prowess in controlling the ball with his hands in the football game in which France beat the Republic of Ireland to secure a place in next year’s World Cup finals. But controversially, he did not — his later dignified contrition and suggestion that the match be played again seeming to count against him. Instead, the Ireland team, the Irish FA and the Irish government won a special prize in the Concerted Whining and Moaning category for their brilliant demands, a) to have the aforementioned game replayed or b) for France to be kicked out or c) that Ireland should be let into the World Cup on a wild-card entry or d) that Ireland be awarded the World Cup outright for having suffered 800 years of imperialist British oppression and now all that business with Henry. The trophy was presented by Stephen Ireland’s grandmother, who surprised the audience by not being dead."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/rod_liddle/article6962736.ece

....never been my fav journo! Seems to always have had a chip about the Irish

bennocelt
21/12/2009, 11:32 PM

I guessed correctly it was Liddle before I read it - Yeah he has a big chip on his shoulder about the Irish and the Scottish - which I guess he is entitled to have, but it still is annoying:mad:

Closed Account 2
21/12/2009, 11:44 PM
"Now he's the fella who left his wife and ran off with a young 'wan"... but there is a happy ending, apparently she ended up leaving him too, perhaps Rod's rod is a Liddle too Liddle.

He is a rent-a-gob(sh*te), I can't understand how he gets so many column inches. He knows precious Liddle about football and even less about the real world. Talk about making a Rod for his own back.

gspain
22/12/2009, 7:10 AM
I find his column entertaining and he does know quite a bit about football but doesn't take himself or anybody else too seriously.

northwestexile
22/12/2009, 8:25 AM

Instead, the Ireland team, the Irish FA and the Irish government won a special prize in the Concerted Whining and Moaning category for their brilliant demands.

What have the Sammys got to do with this?

elroy
22/12/2009, 8:31 AM
I find his column entertaining and he does know quite a bit about football but doesn't take himself or anybody else too seriously.

While I generally dont like him or his particular section outlined above, having read the rest of the column most of it is quite funny.

geysir
22/12/2009, 8:37 AM
Liddle beats Dunphy hands down or hand up, for sneering sanctimony.

Fat dwarfish cokehead (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/rod_liddle/article6841231.ece)

Fitzy
22/12/2009, 9:25 AM
Rod Liddle is a convicted wife-beater and like many of his fellow Millwall fans an outspoken and unashamed racist. Read some of his other Times articles and you will see he has a massive problem with both the Irish and the Scottish. He really should be writing for the Daily Mail or the Sun, along with the likes of Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Littlejohn.

Den Perry
22/12/2009, 9:33 AM
Rod Liddle is a convicted wife-beater and like many of his fellow Millwall fans an outspoken and unashamed racist. Read some of his other Times articles and you will see he has a massive problem with both the Irish and the Scottish. He really should be writing for the Daily Mail or the Sun, along with the likes of Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Littlejohn.

I actually like his column-I don't take it too seriously, but maybe I'm wrong....

was it Liddle that wrote the Article during WC 2002 lambasting the Brits for supporting Ireland and criticising Robbie Keane's celebration? I remember there was some kind of email petition to boycott the author's articles...

paul_oshea
22/12/2009, 9:40 AM
The snippet about him under his picture on every article is funny. funny because I bet he wrote it himself.

And then playing the trombone on dunphy on radio.

Den Perry
22/12/2009, 9:58 AM
The snippet about him under his picture on every article is funny. funny because I bet he wrote it himself.

And then playing the trombone on dunphy on radio.

Hmmm...just looked at a few of his articles there and he does seem a little anti-Irish....

irishfan86
22/12/2009, 10:08 AM
He writes "controversial" statements about everyone, I wouldn't call him anti-Irish specifically.

He's basically like an internet troll, except he does it for a living.

CMcC
22/12/2009, 10:10 AM

"While we’re on basketball, it had been expected that Thierry Henry would win a prize for his prowess in controlling the ball with his hands in the football game in which France beat the Republic of Ireland to secure a place in next year’s World Cup finals. But controversially, he did not — his later dignified contrition and suggestion that the match be played again seeming to count against him. Instead, the Ireland team, the Irish FA and the Irish government won a special prize in the Concerted Whining and Moaning category for their brilliant demands, a) to have the aforementioned game replayed or b) for France to be kicked out or c) that Ireland should be let into the World Cup on a wild-card entry or d) that Ireland be awarded the World Cup outright for having suffered 800 years of imperialist British oppression and now all that business with Henry. The trophy was presented by Stephen Ireland’s grandmother, who surprised the audience by not being dead."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/rod_liddle/article6962736.ece

To be fair this piece is on the money. The moaning and subsequent over-reaction by so called football fans and anyone else (from politicians to talk radio jocks) who wanted to say their piece was bloody embarrasing.

carloz
22/12/2009, 11:10 AM
Dunphys comments on Liddle were one of the few times he was right on the money

bennocelt
22/12/2009, 11:21 AM
He writes "controversial" statements about everyone, I wouldn't call him anti-Irish specifically.

He's basically like an internet troll, except he does it for a living.

But if you have read enough of his articles you would see this. I am near certain that he was brought up on Foot.ie before over this.
Must go through the archives later!!!!:p

Den Perry
22/12/2009, 12:12 PM
I actually like his column-I don't take it too seriously, but maybe I'm wrong....

was it Liddle that wrote the Article during WC 2002 lambasting the Brits for supporting Ireland and criticising Robbie Keane's celebration? I remember there was some kind of email petition to boycott the author's articles...

anyone know if it was him that wrote that article? cheers

Paddy Garcia
22/12/2009, 12:42 PM
anyone know if it was him that wrote that article? cheers

It was him.

geysir
22/12/2009, 2:12 PM
Dunphys comments on Liddle were one of the few times he was right on the money

Dunphy retracted his comments on Liveline and became all cuddly& glowing when Rod went on about how much of a Milwall fan he was and how much he idolised Eamonn when he played for Milwall.

Maroon 7
22/12/2009, 6:29 PM

A chip about the size of a small car. He's the posh man's Richard Littlejohn.

Paddy Garcia
22/12/2009, 6:58 PM
A chip about the size of a small car. He's the posh man's Richard Littlejohn.

:D Very good, thinks he is Dickens though!

Fixer82
22/12/2009, 8:16 PM
"Now he's the fella who left his wife and ran off with a young 'wan"... but there is a happy ending, apparently she ended up leaving him too, perhaps Rod's rod is a Liddle too Liddle.

He is a rent-a-gob(sh*te), I can't understand how he gets so many column inches. He knows precious Liddle about football and even less about the real world. Talk about making a Rod for his own back.

post of the day!

carloz
23/12/2009, 3:51 PM
Dunphy retracted his comments on Liveline and became all cuddly& glowing when Rod went on about how much of a Milwall fan he was and how much he idolised Eamonn when he played for Milwall.

Really. That says a lot about the character of Dunphy then

Den Perry
24/12/2009, 12:51 AM
It was him.

cheers Paddy