PDA

View Full Version : Scary Movies

NigeSausagepump
10/03/2004, 10:08 PM
Any fans of horror flicks out there who can recommend a decent scary movie? I've lost count of the amount of rubbish "I want to eat your brains" zombie movies out there and am looking for any ideas on genuinely unsettling flicks.

A mate has recommended the original Japanese Ringu, as well as another Japanese movie called Darkwater, and a Donald Sutherland picture called Don't Look Back. Any thoughts on these or any other suggestions?

Cheers

the 12 th man
11/03/2004, 7:09 AM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
, and a Donald Sutherland picture called Don't Look Back.

nige its actually called "dont look now",if you make allowances for the haircuts etc ,(as its about 20 years old),you are in for a treat with this movie.

its based around this couple whose only child drowns(in a pool or river) in their back garden.the couple are absolutely devastated
and they take a trip to venice to try and forget.
there are some harrowing and frightening scenes in it,as i said
its a bit dated but still very powerful.

only downside is the explicit sex scene where you see donald sutherlands butt!!!!!

other good scary movie.the first halloween movie with donald pleasance and jamie lee curtis (when she was still a babe)

adamcarr
11/03/2004, 7:47 AM
The Original Ring, Exorcist and "Alice In Wonderland"

pete
11/03/2004, 12:28 PM
Agreed.

Original Japanese Ring is bar far best & freakiest horror movie i've seen.

I'd also recommend another Japnaese movie... :eek: Without giving ti away another else seen?

A man is asked to sit in on a number of auditions. One of the women presented so interests him that he takes her telephone number. Later, he rings her and sets up a dinner date. But she is not what she appears... Japanese dialogue.

Ruairi
11/03/2004, 2:58 PM
Originally posted by adamcarr
"Alice In Wonderland"

christ that scares the **** out of me. that and the wizard of oz.

I always found Blade 2 to be a good horror flick. vampires are always good, especially when they're suped up mega vampires

Troy.McClure
11/03/2004, 3:46 PM
Not really into horror films but The Omen is pretty cool. Its more one of those films that plants the seeds of ideas in your mind. Personally, Id never call my kid Damien! :D Also on the bonus with the DVD, they tell about all the freaky things that happened during the making, including quite a few deaths, and one which was like a death from the film!

tiktok
11/03/2004, 7:46 PM
It's a genre i always hated because i always associated it with daft, gory brain eating rubbish. Hated the Halloweens, Fridays etc. of that type the only one i saw that i anyway liked was 'Candyman'. 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I definitely go in for more the suspense / unexpected shock type.

Ring (Jap version), Blair Witch, The Omen all excellent
The Exorcist very good, especially the 'based on a true story' at the end.

Notable mention to Event Horizon, The Wickerman.

David Lynch is brilliant at putting in music and weird scenes that make your skin crawl. Some of Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive would freak you out completely. Class.

Thank God someone else found 'the wizard of Oz' frightening, i can add "The Birds' to that (saw it when i was too young), and that ferryboat ride in 'Willy Wonka' is horrifying.

Gary
11/03/2004, 7:47 PM
CARRIE freaked the shiit out of me.

The Excorsist was just crap

Friday the 13th. Never laughed so much than watching them.

That said, i was really uncomfortable watching "what lies beneath". I was like a bitch at the cinema watching it :(

MikeW
12/03/2004, 7:42 AM
Yeah I saw that film you're on about Pete. Think its called "Audition", it was on late on Channel 4 not too long ago. Its not particularly scary for long parts, just a little weird and strangely unsettling, but the ending - holy sh1t that was intense and very hard to watch. Had to look away once or twice. i don't want to give anything else away, so if you're watching it just prepare yourself for the end!

eoinh
12/03/2004, 8:29 AM
The orginal Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hdye (1931), Frankenstein starring Boris Karloff, the 1940 version of Gaslight.

Alien is a horror movie i suppose.

The night of the living dead (1968)

28 days later

Psycho

pete
12/03/2004, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
Yeah I saw that film you're on about Pete. Think its called "Audition", it was on late on Channel 4 not too long ago.

Yup thats it.

Doh! just realised i never put the name of it in my post :rolleyes: think i need a proof reader :D

Blair Witch was most tiring movie to watch ever. Me eyes :(

eoinh
12/03/2004, 4:31 PM
Blair Witch IMO was Crap. Boring as hell.

the scout
12/03/2004, 7:15 PM
fall of the house of usher, with v.p.
the devil rides out ,with git lee
physco,anthony perkins
exorcist,max von sydow/the power compells you!!

i think the old scary movies are the best

eoinh
14/03/2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by tiktok

Notable mention to Event Horizon, The Wickerman.

Funny the Wickerman is on channel 4 tonight.

ive set the video :eek:

DolansWaistcoat
14/03/2004, 1:22 PM
The Shining is a classic,Salems Lot and most Stephen King Based Horrer flicks are good.

Event Horizen is a real freaky film scared the bejesus out of me first time I watched it.

I watched a video recently called session 9 and I was having nightmares all night after it,really disturbing stuff I thought anyway.Some of the lads in work saw it and thought it was boring and drawn out.

All the Alien films,Nightmare on Elm st and the Halloween series are classics,although I did watch the latter two when I was about seven or eight.

Roadkill is a very effective horror/thriller,great idea for a film but then ending wasn't brilliant.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

the scout
14/03/2004, 4:16 PM
anyone see a movie called "society" at least i think it was that.the film is ordinary enough till near the end there is a party and everybody goes all weird and they melt onto the floor and all join up into one big blob.
i kid you not as i was sober and drug free watching it.

pete
06/04/2004, 4:57 PM
Film 4 had the Wickerman on after i missed on ch4. Weird movie alright & good for its time although bit ruined as i'd already seen the dramatic ending.

Also seen Dark Water recently. One good twist moment, strange ending & not a patch on Ringu.