PDA

View Full Version : Just thought of something...

irishultra
21/12/2009, 3:11 PM
for those of us here born in other countries where do your loyalties lie primarily with regards international support? Do you find it difficult to divide your loyalties? The ultimate question who would you support if teams came up against each other in a world cup match? I'd be very much on the fence.

peadar1987
21/12/2009, 3:54 PM
My dad's from England, so I'm automatically a British citizen, although I was born in Ireland, and lived there until September. For me it's Ireland every time. Everything associated with the English national team just oozes arrogance, and I hope they lose pretty much every time they play. Not even my dad cheers them on any more, he'll switch over to the Ireland game instead.

Note this isn't some sort of colonial hangover, I just like seeing arrogant teams get beaten. The same when the French went out of WC 2002, and when Greece won Euro 2004, instead of any one of the traditional big teams.

Nagger
21/12/2009, 4:24 PM
I get this question asked, everytime Ireland play Holland. I was born in Ireland. My parents are Irish. And i have an Irish passport, so for me its easy. I support Ireland.

Now that Holland have qualified, and Ireland havent, i do hope the Dutch go for at the World cup. But you wont see me in a Dutch jersey, singing the Wilhelmus.

irishultra
21/12/2009, 4:29 PM
did you grow up there?

boovidge
21/12/2009, 5:04 PM
I don't support England at all at football. It's not that I hate the country, I'm very grateful for the opportunities that it's given me, I just can't connect with the football team. Other sports I'd be divided between England and Ireland.

I wouldn't support a UK team though.

Crosby87
21/12/2009, 10:21 PM
I hate the US Soccer team but it is the only situation I will root against a US team.
Although i kinda want the Russians to win the Olympic Hockey.

theworm2345
22/12/2009, 12:25 AM
Born, bred, and live in Chicago but I hate the US Soccer team like Crosby. Also like Crosby, I would support the U.S. in any other sport. No matter who they are playing I would support Ireland in footy.

Kivlehan
22/12/2009, 3:20 AM
USA first for me. I don't understand why the two above "hate" our national team. Any American who can't get behind that team after watching them battle it out with Mexico time and time again, I just don't get.

I suppose they must be what the MLS fans call Eurosnobs, which is essentially the same thing as what the LoI fans call barstoolers... people so obsessed with European/British football leagues that they **** all over their own and don't support homegrown talent.

Ireland are my #2 team as I'm eligible on the granny rule. :)

Should there be a USA v Ireland in the future, I'll root for USA to win an exciting match in which both sides play well. I'll take Ireland over anyone but the USA.

If/when the USA falls in the World Cup, I will root for Holland if they are still around as the wife's family is from there. Should Holland fail, I'll root for whoever is playing against Mexico, France or England.

irishfan86
22/12/2009, 4:19 AM
Born in Ireland, raised in Canada.

Ireland is my #1 team by far, but I follow the Canadian team too (not as religiously) and always hope to see them do well.

theworm2345
22/12/2009, 4:32 AM
USA first for me. I don't understand why the two above "hate" our national team. Any American who can't get behind that team after watching them battle it out with Mexico time and time again, I just don't get.

Mainly the massive ignorant/arrogant tools that call themsellves fans that make up a large percentage of the fanbase for both the MLS and the national team and the douchebags that make up the national team.

If there is one thing I hate more than David Connolly bashing its these "fans."

Nagger
22/12/2009, 7:52 AM
did you grow up there?

I grew up in Holland. I've been living here since i was 2. I am 31 now
Still have my Irish accent :).