PDA

View Full Version : Time to say goodbye to Paul Cook?

Pages : [1] 2

roverandout
21/12/2009, 10:02 AM
I think that the club have reached a crossroads in respect of the current manager. To be perfectly honest we escaped relegation last season by good luck rather than good guidance. We lost the FAI Cup Final as a result of a totally crazy substitution (Meenan); and we should have advanced in the Europa Cup had our preparation been better. Take Gerry Carr out of the equation and we simply don't have a decent management team . It's ok the manager being popular around the town, but is he really someone who leads by example and who is a decent role model for young players? The club should have never taken him back when he resigned last season. They will end up having to sack him this time around.

Boo_Boy
21/12/2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/fail_thread.jpg

redobit
21/12/2009, 10:11 AM
Are you InsideMan?

roverandout
21/12/2009, 10:31 AM
Are you InsideMan?

I'm not InsideMan redobit, just someone who has lost faith in Cook.

gustavo
21/12/2009, 10:32 AM
I've edited your thread to include a question mark as I was in a state of alarm when I saw it

sligofan4ever
21/12/2009, 10:39 AM
I think that the club have reached a crossroads in respect of the current manager. To be perfectly honest we escaped relegation last season by good luck rather than good guidance. We lost the FAI Cup Final as a result of a totally crazy substitution (Meenan); and we should have advanced in the Europa Cup had our preparation been better. Take Gerry Carr out of the equation and we simply don't have a decent management team . It's ok the manager being popular around the town, but is he really someone who leads by example and who is a decent role model for young players? The club should have never taken him back when he resigned last season. They will end up having to sack him this time around.

You've lost faith in a man who has already signed Amond,Turner and McCabe ? has brought us players Boco,Blinkhorn,Doyle,Ventre,Almeida,Butler and very promising young winger Dean Marshall ? The man who brought us to our first Cup Final in 15 years ? The man who brought us European football for the first time in 13 years ?

He brought on Meenan for Cretaro, and I tought Meenan had a decent game, would've preferred Marshall upfront though, has proven he can score goals. Cook may have no silverware to his name (yet ;)) but he's still be a successful manager for us, and given funds to sign players, he's shown he can turn a season around. Fair enough he's signed some woeful players in Camano,Kendrick and Jennings, but put those aside and look at how well he's done here. As Boo Boy said, this thread is a major fail.

Only1Rovers
21/12/2009, 11:10 AM
I've edited your thread to include a question mark as I was in a state of alarm when I saw it

Ah the beauty of grammar....:)... and punctuation.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 11:17 AM
So is he the kind of role model that you would want running the club? Just answer me that one sligofan4ever.

In respect of his signings, he led the club and punters to believe that Boco would be a goalscoring sensation, and consequently the player got a contract that he could only have dreamt about. It took Cook a while to work out that Boco is actually a right back.

Thanks for adding the question mark gustavo.

MMVIII
21/12/2009, 11:21 AM
So Boco was a bad signing in your eyes? Would you ever cop on. And let me guess, you know the exact wage Boco was on? I highly doubt that. Do enlighten me though as to your vast knowledge on all things SRFC.

tiktok
21/12/2009, 11:23 AM
So is he the kind of role model that you would want running the club? Just answer me that one sligofan4ever.

Sorry for intruding into a Sligo debate but would you ever grow up and be grateful for what you have. What a load of nonsense.

You have a good young manager who brought you to a Cup Final and European Football in the last 12 months, you'd swear that was a regular occurence for you the way you're acting.

You'd want to have a good hard look around the league at the other 'role model' options available to replace Cook before you go kicking him out the door. I'll gladly swap our dream team of Tom Coughlan, Danny Drew and Roddy Collins for him.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 11:28 AM
So Boco was a bad signing in your eyes? Would you ever cop on. And let me guess, you know the exact wage Boco was on? I highly doubt that. Do enlighten me though as to your vast knowledge on all things SRFC.

Put it this way ARooney28 you would have been more than happy to earn what Boco was on.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 11:31 AM
Sorry for intruding into a Sligo debate but would you ever grow up and be grateful for what you have. What a load of nonsense.

You have a good young manager who brought you to a Cup Final and European Football in the last 12 months, you'd swear that was a regular occurence for you the way you're acting.

You'd want to have a good hard look around the league at the other 'role model' options available to replace Cook before you go kicking him out the door. I'll gladly swap our dream team of Tom Coughlan, Danny Drew and Roddy Collins for him.

Cook and Coughlan would get along great. However I do think that you have enough pressing matters at your own club which are more worthy of your comments.

gustavo
21/12/2009, 11:36 AM
Put it this way ARooney28 you would have been more than happy to earn what Boco was on.

What Boco earns is of no relevance to the debate.Whatever he's on,He's worth it

MMVIII
21/12/2009, 11:46 AM
Cook and Coughlan would get on great? Are you mad? I can't even believe you would compare them two men. You are laughable

I know how much Boco is on. I would just like to know if you knew the same. Which you obviously don't.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 11:54 AM
What Boco earns is of no relevance to the debate.Whatever he's on,He's worth it

Fair point gustavo (although every player has a value, especially someone who misses large chunks of the season when he's away on international duty). Cook is the subject of my thread and I'm just not convinced by the sincerity of the guy. I do however think that he is quite canny when it comes to enhancing his standing. Not only has he the people on this board eating out of his hand, but those dimwits on MNS have practically canonised him. It has never occurred to the latter that he just might be playing to the cameras. A manager should also be a good ambassador for his club (McStay, Sanchez, Cotterill, O'Riordan etc.) and as yet, no one has answered my question which I will repeat 'Is Cook a good role model or a good professional'?

sligofan4ever
21/12/2009, 12:01 PM
Fair point gustavo (although every player has a value, especially someone who misses large chunks of the season when he's away on international duty). Cook is the subject of my thread and I'm just not convinced by the sincerity of the guy. I do however think that he is quite canny when it comes to enhancing his standing. Not only has he the people on this board eating out of his hand, but those dimwits on MNS have practically canonised him. It has never occurred to the latter that he just might be playing to the cameras. A manager should also be a good ambassador for his club (McStay, Sanchez, Cotterill, O'Riordan etc.) and as yet, no one has answered my question which I will repeat 'Is Cook a good role model or a good professional'?

How has he missed large chunks of the season ? Boco showed his loyalty to the club this summer by returning to Ireland to play against Cork just days after playing for Benin, and returning there to play again. And yes Paul Cook is a good role model for the club, hes a very honest man and never shy's away from what he wants to say in interviews.

SligoBrewer
21/12/2009, 12:02 PM
'Is Cook a good role model or a good professional'?

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. Shup and stop trolling.
Jim.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 12:03 PM
Cook and Coughlan would get on great? Are you mad? I can't even believe you would compare them two men. You are laughable

I know how much Boco is on. I would just like to know if you knew the same. Which you obviously don't.

I don't think it's fair to reveal a player's wages open forum ARooney28, but rest assured I know what it is. More importantly, given that clubs are having to curtail their wage bills, do you think that Boco will be back next season? If he's not, might this tell its own story?

MMVIII
21/12/2009, 12:06 PM
Ditto.

Probably not, as he was one of the better payed players last season and so be it. He was class. IMO, he's a player of Championship quality.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 12:07 PM
I guess we are going to have to agree to differ for now, but I will be very surprised if Cook sees next season out.

roversman
21/12/2009, 12:07 PM
It took Cook a while to work out that Boco is actually a right back.

.[/QUOTE]

hes not a full back he cant defend ok hes good going forward but a fullback should be able to defend

tiktok
21/12/2009, 12:08 PM
However I do think that you have enough pressing matters at your own club which are more worthy of your comments.

Haha, I wonder if you would have deemed yourself worthy of my commentary if I'd agreed with you. Anyway, don't worry, I am always willing to make time to oppose nonsense, wherever it crops up.

It seems you've got some personal 'won't somebody think of the children' issues going on here.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 12:09 PM
I've enjoyed the debate, but since I haven't bought a thing for Christmas as yet, the shops beckon (yuk).

Boo_Boy
21/12/2009, 12:20 PM
*Bookmarks thread for November 2010*

Well Red
21/12/2009, 6:18 PM
I guess we are going to have to agree to differ for now, but I will be very surprised if Cook sees next season out.

Either you are a Shams fan in disguise or you have no idea what our manager is trying to achieve. He set out to have the team play good football and he achieved that before we had a series of serious injuries and it was not until we got most of the guys back that we put a great string of results together. Your remarks about Boco make me doubt that you know a lot about the game and I do not want to be unkind to you but I think Boco could play anywhere from one to eleven and any club would love to have him. So basically I think you starting a thread like you have is way off the mark and i suspect the manager will make you eat your words by end of next season. As the guy said before me would you prefer someone like Roddy Collins? or who would you prefer?:confused:

sligofan4ever
21/12/2009, 6:32 PM
Either you are a Shams fan in disguise or you have no idea what our manager is trying to achieve. He set out to have the team play good football and he achieved that before we had a series of serious injuries and it was not until we got most of the guys back that we put a great string of results together. Your remarks about Boco make me doubt that you know a lot about the game and I do not want to be unkind to you but I think Boco could play anywhere from one to eleven and any club would love to have him. So basically I think you starting a thread like you have is way off the mark and i suspect the manager will make you eat your words by end of next season. As the guy said before me would you prefer someone like Roddy Collins? or who would you prefer?:confused:

Its Rob McDonald in disguise ;)

But I think signing Amond,Turner and McCabe shows he wants success and shows a sign of intent for next season. as I said a few posts ago, hes a very honest manager and given the chance to sign players, and can have a near injury free season, he can do very well here as the 2008 season proved. As far as i'm concerned, Cook will be around for another season. Lets also keep in mind roverandout, the only available managers with LoI experience I can think of are Jeff Kenna and Paul Doolin, would you rather one of them instead of Paul Cook ?

CRFC&SRFC
21/12/2009, 7:19 PM

Only 3 players played more league games for us last season,

Cook is a young manager and im sure is always looking to improve.He plays a nice brand of football and i believe he represents club very well in media

Apparently there are initiatives underway for players/manager etc to play a more active role in engaging with junior underage football and this got underway towards the end of last season, hopfully it can be built on.

LOI football at the moment is not the easiest thing to be an ambassador for either, to answer your question, (remember how good our previous "manager"(use the term loosely) was at representing our club. To be fair we've a come a long way in that regard

roverandout
21/12/2009, 8:16 PM

I like Boco but don't consider that he really has a best position, he can do a decent job in a number. He certainly wasn't the goalscoring sensation that Cook portrayed him as initially, and I fully agree with the poster who questioned his defensive qualities as a right back. I only referred to him as a right back simply because that's the position he plays for his country. Before people get too hung up about Boco and his capabilities, could I suggest two things. Firstly check out his career in England on a database such as www.soccerassociation.com (http://www.soccerassociation.com) or Scout7 and you will find that he didn't exactly set the world alight in England, and secondly, this thread is not about Boco.

To answer another comment, there is more to being a role model or ambassador for a club than how one performs on TV. Sometimes what you do when you're away from the club is just as important.

CF1989
21/12/2009, 8:18 PM
i fairness to Cook, we had about 11 players for the majority of the first half of the season. he couldnt drop anyone who wasnt playing well, the players knew that and maybe wernt as motivated as they should if there was a big squad fighting for places.

once the window came he turned our season around, blinkhorn an doyle were fantastic signings. league winning form from august on once we had a decent squad.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 8:26 PM
i fairness to Cook, we had about 11 players for the majority of the first half of the season. he couldnt drop anyone who wasnt playing well, the players knew that and maybe wernt as motivated as they should if there was a big squad fighting for places.

once the window came he turned our season around, blinkhorn an doyle were fantastic signings. league winning form from august on once we had a decent squad.

I totally agree with you about Blinkhorn and Doyle, but what about the likes of Holmes, Parkhouse and Morrison who actually did feature in the early stages of the season, and who either through lack of ability, or lack of interest, didn't contribute very much?

sligofan4ever
21/12/2009, 8:31 PM
I totally agree with you about Blinkhorn and Doyle, but what about the likes of Holmes, Parkhouse and Morrison who actually did feature in the early stages of the season, and who either through lack of ability, or lack of interest, didn't contribute very much?

Holmes was the only left back he could get at the time, and just to add to that he was part-time trying to hold down a job in Derry (I think).

Parkhouse played about 5 games due to injury

Morrison was blowing hot and cold, but was a joy to watch at times e.g his link up play with Boco in the 2-0 win over Pats.

roverandout
21/12/2009, 8:35 PM
Morrison was blowing hot and cold, but was a joy to watch at times e.g his link up play with Boco in the 2-0 win over Pats.

I agree with you about Morrison. He has loads of ability but doesn't always deliver. A totally frustrating player, who will look back on his career with a lot of 'if onlys' and 'what ifs'

rovers100%
21/12/2009, 9:00 PM
you seem to have an underlying issue here, you keep on about the way cook behaves away from the club ? what exactly are you hinting at ???

gufc2000
21/12/2009, 10:48 PM
We will take him if ye don't want him.

Ye've got a top manager there, I wouldn't be looking to dispense of him. He's brought in some quality players for ye over the last 2-3 years

geezer
21/12/2009, 11:02 PM
you seem to have an underlying issue here, you keep on about the way cook behaves away from the club ? what exactly are you hinting at ???

because if he is gay or something its no big deal anymore , just look at that cork hurler is it seanie og o halpin i think is his name. He has a book out for christmas and sure all the gaa heads are buying it in pallet loads

Shiba
21/12/2009, 11:21 PM
Cook and Coughlan would get along great. However I do think that you have enough pressing matters at your own club which are more worthy of your comments.

you opened the debate and with doing that after the yer the Cork fans have had that they are one set of fans that can surly give comment that things could be worse at our club.

What do you expected from a manager? All I can hear round the league is what breath of fresh air Cook is his honesty etc! Ya I too think Meenan was wrong change in cup final ?Boco was never a striker? But we needed him to play there and he did? Cretaro was never a striker cook put him there and well thats why hes with Bohs next year.

Cook has worked well with the Budget he has.If he had the Budgets of past mangers I feel he would have been a lot more succesful.

Always said The way Cavan people are protrayed as scrooges
and Kerry man as thick. I have always said that Sligo people are a bunch of moaners and dont know when we have it good.Thats part of the reason why crowds dont go out most of the season.Rovers are sh*** ,not going out there waste of money that lot etc.

Cop on we have a good season considering!(Our budget been cut at the start of the season)

Mayo Red
21/12/2009, 11:22 PM
We will take him if ye don't want him

Ye can't have Cook but ye can have roverandout if ye want, no prob!!;)

sligofan4ever
21/12/2009, 11:30 PM
I would kill to have Holmesy back, KILL

Sean Holmes will come back if you kill Inside Man and Richie Winter.

CF1989
21/12/2009, 11:35 PM
morrison assisted more goals for us this season than any other player. he created around 10-15 goals, and he didnt play most of the 2nd half of the season

avvenalaf
21/12/2009, 11:38 PM
morrison assisted more goals for us this season than any other player. he created around 10-15 goals, and he didnt play most of the 2nd half of the season

Well he certainly assisted the equaliser in the cup final.

L37Ultra
21/12/2009, 11:55 PM
Extremely suprised with this thread. I'd be very happy if Limerick progress as much as Sligo have since we last played against Sligo in the First Division. Playing in the Europa League last season was always going to have an effect on Sligo as ye dont exactly have a big squad compared to other Premier Division clubs.

Sligo have come a long way in a short period and ye should be grateful to Paul Cook for that.

Mayo Red
21/12/2009, 11:56 PM
So we get rid of Cook....and then what???? Like every other club in the league we've had our fair share of Managerial turmoil over the years and just when it looks like we've had something to build on it falls apart, so now that we have a measure of stability at the club on most levels (a rare thing in the League of Ireland at present), according to roverandout in effect we're moving in the wrong direction with Cook, ridiculous!

Ok, things are never going to be perfect at any club and Cook like all managers has his faults but all in all without doubt he's been good for Rovers. Where's the magical alternative that's gonna take over, take months to put his own stamp on the team and then leave us in any better of a position???

DonalE
22/12/2009, 12:00 AM
If Our Dave sees this thread you'll be in big trouble roverandout

Guts&Glory
22/12/2009, 12:27 AM
46 Posts and not one agreeing with you Roverandout and not once did you elaborate on what was raised by others - that you seem to be referring to his behaviour away from the club.

If you are only going to insinuate without stating what you have heard/seen don't bother.

I say close this post due to insinuated defamation of character.

Anyone else?

SligoBrewer
22/12/2009, 12:51 AM
Roverandout = Roddy Collins?

akearins
22/12/2009, 8:59 AM
Not even reading this thread as it's total bull****e.All I will say id best thing is not to reply and hopefully the moderators remove it ASAP as it is in no way benefical to the season ahead. Some people need to get a life

avvenalaf
22/12/2009, 9:32 AM
Not even reading this thread as it's total bull****e.All I will say id best thing is not to reply and hopefully the moderators remove it ASAP as it is in no way benefical to the season ahead. Some people need to get a life

Have to say I totally agree with Roverandout, Get shot of Cook now and if we could get rid of Vincent Nally and Kevin Leydon at the same time, we would be well on our way to becoming as big a club as Cork City (and I might get my table back).

roverandout
22/12/2009, 9:42 AM
Its Rob McDonald in disguise ;)

Lets also keep in mind roverandout, the only available managers with LoI experience I can think of are Jeff Kenna and Paul Doolin, would you rather one of them instead of Paul Cook ?

Since when was having LOI experience a prerequisite for managing Sligo Rovers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the likes of Willie McStay, Lawrie Sanchez, Steve Cotterill, and dare I say Sean Connor had no previous experience of this League. They didn't do too badly either. The fact is your beloved Mr Cook was a disaster at Southport. Don't just take my word for it check it out.

redobit
22/12/2009, 10:24 AM
Since when was having LOI experience a prerequisite for managing Sligo Rovers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the likes of Willie McStay, Lawrie Sanchez, Steve Cotterill, and dare I say Sean Connor had no previous experience of this League. They didn't do too badly either. The fact is your beloved Mr Cook was a disaster at Southport. Don't just take my word for it check it out.

Im sure theres a point in there, but I cant find one.
By the way were not Southport.

Redzer
22/12/2009, 10:58 AM
If anyone remembers?
With Kildare County now gone, I think Seimpre (Blanco) Red is back:p