PDA

View Full Version : Moral Compo

Ash
21/12/2009, 9:32 AM
Not sure if theres already a thread on it but just read on another site that FIFA
have invited Ireland to their awards ceremony to accept a FIFA Fair Play trophy
as moral compensation!

FAI declined the offer.

pineapple stu
21/12/2009, 9:35 AM
Probably only mooted as an idea in a meeting, but Delaney decided it was fair game to mention it to the outside world. :)

eaststand85
21/12/2009, 9:36 AM
Should have agreed to take it & then refused to accept it on the night. At the press conference after Delaney could have told them all that 'really they have asked this' while raising his eyebrows and laughing manically and patronisingly a la Blatter! :)

amaccann
21/12/2009, 9:52 AM
You know, I rattled on about the change in our seedings because it seemed like an adult and mature idea that FIFA could offer (notwithstanding any issues people might have had with it). I held out hope that Blatter could show some decorum and nous.

Offering a "Fair Play" trophy was patronising (smacks of the "everyone wins a trophy day American schools have), demeaning, pure tokenism & shows what a hopeless organisation FIFA is.

Nagger
21/12/2009, 9:58 AM
Hope the FAI told the FIFA to stick it, where the sun dont shine..

pineapple stu
21/12/2009, 10:02 AM
You know, I rattled on about the change in our seedings because it seemed like an adult and mature idea that FIFA could offer (notwithstanding any issues people might have had with it).
Well, the main issue people would have with it is that it's completely unworkable. I think that's a pretty big issue. You'd have to punish one team by demoting them from second to third seeds, which makes no sense.

amaccann
21/12/2009, 10:24 AM
Well, the main issue people would have with it is that it's completely unworkable. I think that's a pretty big issue. You'd have to punish one team by demoting them from second to third seeds, which makes no sense.
It was still an idea worthy of discussion, as opposed to "here's a shiny trophy for being such good sports, now please stop bothering us". But it's academic now.

gspain
21/12/2009, 10:28 AM
An invite to the Confederations Cup in 2013 would have been good compensation.

Appreciate there is no space at the moment but make us first reserve and lets say

Brazil win the world Cup or
Brazil win the Copa America or
An european team wins the World Cup and Euro2012 or
Argentina wins the World Cup and Copa America or
ditto for the other confederations but lets get real.

Anyway great chance there would be a spare place.

Anyway I can dream - beats a plaque anyway.

pineapple stu
21/12/2009, 10:38 AM
It was still an idea worthy of discussion
It really wasn't, as my post showed.

amaccann
21/12/2009, 10:52 AM
It really wasn't, as my post showed.
That wasn't really the point I was trying to make; I wasn't trying to specifically champion the seeding idea as the idea to end all ideas, just that something with an effect on the future Ireland teams - whatever that might have been - would have been better "compensation" than a plaque.

Fixer82
21/12/2009, 10:59 AM
the confederations cup wouldve been a much better idea alright!

centre mid
21/12/2009, 1:35 PM
African nations cup was the one, an opportunity missed.

geysir
21/12/2009, 1:42 PM
It might have been an idea to accept the award and send Alan Hunter along to receive it.

elroy
21/12/2009, 1:47 PM
I dont think the Confed entry or any other competition entry is worth talking about imo. Non runner.

The 33rd team debacle is unfortunate because its made the FAI come out of the affair in a poor light along with FIFA. Upto that point, they had conducted themselves reasonably well in the whole affair and had the goodwill on the footballing world on their side.

northwestexile
22/12/2009, 8:19 AM
The 33rd team debacle is unfortunate because its made the FAI come out of the affair in a poor light along with FIFA. Upto that point, they had conducted themselves reasonably well in the whole affair and had the goodwill on the footballing world on their side.

Which is why Blatter disclosed it, to make a mockery of the Irish and shift the attention away from the real issue.

newrynyuk
22/12/2009, 8:55 AM
Which is why Blatter disclosed it, to make a mockery of the Irish and shift the attention away from the real issue.

Which is why the FAI should never have brought up this 33rd team idea, unofficially or otherwise. The sympathy of the world was with us and the moral highground was squandered on a daft idea that the FAI knew full well would never be accepted.

geysir
22/12/2009, 9:00 AM
No such complex moral issues for Tardelli.

“I’m not angry, I’m furious. I have in my mind the picture of Damien Duff crying and Sepp Blatter laughing."
Asked about French prospects at next summer’s World Cup finals, he replied: “I hope they lose to Italy in the semi-finals.”
:D

carloz
22/12/2009, 11:13 AM
Should have agreed to take it & then refused to accept it on the night. At the press conference after Delaney could have told them all that 'really they have asked this' while raising his eyebrows and laughing manically and patronisingly a la Blatter! :)

This is what I think should have happend. At the ceremony when they called us out, Delaney could simply go up and refuse to accept the award as it is simply a **** take by FIFA. As I pointed out before, what fair play did we show. We were cheated out of a vital match through a moment of complet un-fair play. That does not mean we deserve a fair play award. That FIFA ceremony last night was nausiating and just an excuse to give good old Sepp a lot of pats on the back

geysir
22/12/2009, 2:03 PM
Or the FAI could have sent Andrew Jennings as their delegate to receive the award.