PDA

View Full Version : Welsh rugby Legend Gareth Thomas reveals he is gay

rambler14
18/12/2009, 11:26 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...th--Im-gay.html

Fair play to him. Hard to imagine what he went through, despite the mistakes he admits himself.

lopez
19/12/2009, 11:07 AM
To echo Gareth's own words, 'so what!' It is certainly a brave decision to come out at the beginning of the career, I don't think that this is the case if you have retired. If Thomas is still playing then he might find some trouble, but he certainly looks like the man who can take care of it.

For most of us, homosexual work colleagues are common, even in the most 'manly' of jobs. I don't think rugby fans are that bothered. It is funny how rugby and Gaelic football have been the frontrunners in this subject, unlike football, who remains silent on the subject. Are there no homosexuals in football?

Acornvilla
19/12/2009, 12:00 PM
To echo Gareth's own words, 'so what!' It is certainly a brave decision to come out at the beginning of the career, I don't think that this is the case if you have retired. If Thomas is still playing then he might find some trouble, but he certainly looks like the man who can take care of it.

For most of us, homosexual work colleagues are common, even in the most 'manly' of jobs. I don't think rugby fans are that bothered. It is funny how rugby and Gaelic football have been the frontrunners in this subject, unlike football, who remains silent on the subject. Are there no homosexuals in football?

no were all manly men who find it acceptable collapse and cry if the wind blows!air play to him i can only imagine how hard it is to come to terms with and tell people
f

holidaysong
23/12/2009, 10:53 PM
It could be a while before we see another gay footballer come out after the experience of Justin Fashanu..

Docboy
24/12/2009, 1:57 PM
It's a different era now though. Also most of them come off as being a bit gay these days with their little manbags.

OwlsFan
04/01/2010, 12:20 PM
It's a different era now though. Also most of them come off as being a bit gay these days with their little manbags.

:eek: Better return the manbag the wife gave me for Christmas!!

weecountyman
05/01/2010, 5:11 PM
Wasn't it in a documentary with Max Clifford that he claimed a top Premier League footballer and English international is gay but that he's paid to protect his "secret"? It's the one with Louis Theroux where probably the most openly in the closet gentleman, Simon Cowell, was set up dates with "stunning girlfriends". Theroux pushed to have Clifford admit Cowell was gay but bad Max denied it with a grin. No matter how we might believe football has moved on from the bad old days, no player worth his salt will come out and admit they're gay because to do so in football is career suicide. Imagine if Cristiano Ronaldo had finally admitted he's a real mans man to Alex Ferguson, he'd still be orbitting the earth!

osarusan
05/01/2010, 8:44 PM
No matter how we might believe football has moved on from the bad old days, no player worth his salt will come out and admit they're gay because to do so in football is career suicide.
I don't agree with that. If a player is good enough, he'll get a club. We are happy to have racists, thugs, criminals of all kinds in fact, play for or against clubs we support. I don't think a player admitting they are a homosexual would be career suicide, although they'd need true mental strength to put up with the abuse they'd get.

old git
05/01/2010, 9:53 PM
I don't agree with that. If a player is good enough, he'll get a club. We are happy to have racists, thugs, criminals of all kinds in fact, play for or against clubs we support. I don't think a player admitting they are a homosexual would be career suicide, although they'd need true mental strength to put up with the abuse they'd get.

disagree :p me thinks that todays fans / players would accept racist/thugs /criminals before a homosexual player still seems to be the last taboo in this bizare world.. also how many famous players have had the mental strenght to admit to being gay.. justin fashanu ( soccer ) gareth thomas ( rugby when career nearly over) donal og cusack ( gaa) so 3 players in the last 10-15 years.

Bluebeard
06/01/2010, 2:06 PM
disagree :p me thinks that todays fans / players would accept racist/thugs /criminals before a homosexual player still seems to be the last taboo in this bizare world.. also how many famous players have had the mental strenght to admit to being gay.. justin fashanu ( soccer ) gareth thomas ( rugby when career nearly over) donal og cusack ( gaa) so 3 players in the last 10-15 years.

According to an article in l'Equipe (I think) a couple of months back, Donal Óg is the first sportsman in Europe to come out while still playing at the top level.

weecountyman
06/01/2010, 7:04 PM
Osarusan, while I think you're right that football fans accept alot, I do think that a gay player might just be a bit too much. I should have added, re. career suicide, is that the normal endorsements that a top player would expect would not exist. There is a niche market but the "manly men" products - like for skin and hair care - would ease away as there is a stigma.

Bluebeard, I reckon that could be pretty much right though in the USA a couple of NFL and NHL players came out in the last few years. None were frontline players and were nearing the end/ending their careers.