PDA

View Full Version : wiggy

yiddo
18/10/2001, 9:29 PM
just a short note to pass on the sad news of the death earlier today of dave wigginton better known as "wiggy" who stared for cork hibs in the early 70's. dave played on the hibs winning league team in 1971 and the fai cup winning sides of 72 & 73. if you were to young to remember him. imagine a 20+ goal per season striker with the speed of ollie cahill. wiggy also played for cork celtic. lets hope cork city honour him with a minutes silence at the home game v. bray. may he rest in peace.

Gerry Desmond
19/10/2001, 9:09 AM
You beat me to it, Yiddo.
Wiggy, quite simply, was the business. He could have played on any LOI team, in any era - that says it all. As a Celtic fan I always dreaded him, and always hoped we could sign him. Unfortunately, when we did get around to getting him the club was already halfway down the tubes.

I hope City do show him a mark of respect, as you suggest, with a minutes silence.

Great player, great memories. Sad, sad loss.

Gerry

Neil
19/10/2001, 9:12 AM
Dave Wigginton won prominence in the League of Ireland with Cork Hibernians, with whom he won all the domestic honours — League Championship, FAI Cup, Shield, Blaxnit All-Ireland Cup, Munster Senior Cup.

He also won representative honours with the League of Ireland and played for the league twice in Italy against teams representing the Italian League.

Dave Wigginton was first recruited for Cork Hibernians in 1968 by manager Amby Fogarty who signed him from Derby County.

At the time Derby was managed by Brian Clough, a personal friend of the Cork manager with whom he had been a playing colleague at Sunderland.

The new centre-forward was an immediate hit with Hibs and his swashbuckling style of play made him one of the most popular of players on the Irish scene.

His success helped Hibs dominate Irish football as they won the shield in 1970, the championship in 1971 and the FAI Cup in consecutive years, 1972 and 73.

Manager of Hibs Dave Bacuzzi, who succeeded Austin Noonan in 1970, said yesterday: “Dave Wigginton was one of the best players to represent the club during a very successful time for Cork.

“He was a natural athlete, he was the quickest thing on two legs that you ever came across and much of our success was down to the goals he scored.

“He was brave and committed and one of the most honest players in the game.

After leaving Hibs, he played in the league for Cork Celtic, Cork Alberts and briefly for Galway United before retiring in the 1981/82 season.

..examiner..

Citymark
19/10/2001, 11:08 AM
I am too young to have seen him play, but my dad used to watch him years ago. He said that he was just a class above everybody else on the pitch. Apparently he had a wicked shot. One of his tricks was to take a shot on goal direct from a corner. Apparently he scored twice in one game direct from corners! Not sure if this is 100% true but gives you an idea of what he did.

Some sort of memorial would be fitting.

Gerry Desmond
19/10/2001, 3:33 PM
Originally posted by Citymark
One of his tricks was to take a shot on goal direct from a corner. Apparently he scored twice in one game direct from corners! Not sure if this is 100% true but gives you an idea of what he did.

Some sort of memorial would be fitting.

Anyone EVER see Wiggy taking a corner? Maybe my memory is failing...

Finbarr can confirm that Tony Marsden was a master in the air, but can he throw any light on Wiggy's corners??

Gerry

Citymark
19/10/2001, 4:57 PM
Sorry Gerry, but us 'youngsters' never got to see 'Wiggy' in action. (you're showing your age now!!)

Don't know, might have got it slightly mixed up, but what's true is that 'Wiggy' was a class player and deserves all the credit he is getting.

Worth doing an article for him in the next programme, maybe somebody has old photo's of him in action:D

Gerry Desmond
19/10/2001, 5:30 PM
Originally posted by Citymark
Sorry Gerry, but us 'youngsters' never got to see 'Wiggy' in action. (you're showing your age now!!)

Don't know, might have got it slightly mixed up, but what's true is that 'Wiggy' was a class player and deserves all the credit he is getting.

Worth doing an article for him in the next programme, maybe somebody has old photo's of him in action:D

Didn't mean to be slagging you off there, Citymark, I just honestly couldn't remember him taking a corner. Heard that story about Charlie Tully, though... :D

Guess I am getting too old...

I've done an article, slapped it together today between breaks at work (!!). It doesn't do him justice 'cause I've had no time to research stuff and I'm away for the weekend. I'll have to try and tap somebody for a photo...

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
19/10/2001, 5:32 PM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond

slapped it together today between breaks at work (!!)...
Gerry

Guess that would make more snse if said 'during breaks'...

Gerry :o

yiddo
19/10/2001, 6:43 PM
I 'm almost as old as gerry and I agree with him about wiggy not taking the corners. very unlikly I think. anyway gerry you're right about celtic going down the tubes when wiggy was playing with them. after all he had won everything with HIBS at that stage. he only went to Celtic for a rest!!!!
:)