PDA

View Full Version : Mick McCarthy...Shame on you

Pages : [1] 2 3

an_ceannaire
16/12/2009, 8:19 AM
His arse is in the bacon slicer now in Wolverhampton.
See SSN last night....Wolves fans....
"final straw" ..... "championship standard manager" ...."get rid now" ......"should be up in fromt of FA" ........"I want my money back" .......

Once again Mick proves what a complete and utter gobsh*te he really is :rolleyes:

tiktok
16/12/2009, 8:28 AM
Not the smartest move by him. but they'll all forget it soon enough if they beat Burnley at the weekend. Funny how the chants and the outrage seem to be less about Wolves being competitive on the night and more about people paying in to see squad players.

Macy
16/12/2009, 8:37 AM
Not the smartest move by him. but they'll all forget it soon enough if they beat Burnley at the weekend.
But he's fecked if they lose. Some of the reaction is OTT imo, but at the same time it's 5 days before their next game - what kind of mard arse players does he have?

TrapAPony
16/12/2009, 8:45 AM
In all fairness Wolves would have lost against Man Utd no matter what team

Mick put out. Therefore he was right to rest his strongest line up for their big

match against Burnley.

rava
16/12/2009, 8:47 AM
"final straw" ..... "championship standard manager" ...."get rid now" ......"should be up in fromt of FA" ........"I want my money back" .......

Once again Mick proves what a complete and utter gobsh*te he really is :rolleyes:

Yeah shame on him for bringing Wolves into the Premier league without splashing out millions and having a squad capable of competing in the league:rolleyes:

endabob1
16/12/2009, 8:54 AM
Sensible if a bit high risk move imo, I would think if they beat Burnley all will be forgiven.

Insidetherock
16/12/2009, 8:54 AM
I often find these arguments tedious, because what in essence the fans/pundits are saying, is that they should decide who the best players for any particular game should be. Which is fine in a sense, we all fancy ourselves as knowing what's best. But, Mc Carthy has to look long term and decide what is best for the season and if making sacrifices in a particular game is necessary, then that's his perogative.

The bigger clubs have been doing it for years and were initially frowned upon by the football community for bringing the game into disrepute by not playing their "strongest teams". But the likes of Wenger and Ferguson were soon able to point out the results of these "second teams", and the arguments stopped.

The fact is, that whatever 11 Mc Carthy played last night, that 11 are professional players in a Premier League squad, and should be able to perform to a Premier standard.

The teams he picks should be his own decision

ArdeeBhoy
16/12/2009, 8:59 AM
Hmm, the same Wolves & McCarthy who won at Tottenham.
Yeah, shocking.

Get real.

amaccann
16/12/2009, 9:24 AM
Not sure why this is in the Ireland forum? Seems just like an excuse to have a go at McCarthy.

Says a lot about the Premiership's mindset that if Chelsea see fit to rotate their squad that's fine, but it's not ok for Wolves to do it, who arguably have a better reason for keeping their best players fit.

seanfhear
16/12/2009, 9:25 AM
If Mick keeps the Wolves up this and a hell of a lot more will be forgiven.

Probably just a realistic decision from Mick. Some of the players must be dis-appointed not to play at Old Trafford though.

jebus
16/12/2009, 9:31 AM
didn't Neil Warnock do this a few seasons back when Sheff Utd had a game with Man Utd followed by one against a fellow struggler?

and Wolves have been alright whenever I've watched them this year, I'd fancy them to stay up

punkrocket
16/12/2009, 9:37 AM
Targeting winnable games...getting his priorities right.. planning ahead.. sounds like good sensible mangement to me

Macy
16/12/2009, 9:59 AM
Fielding a weakened team is a managers perogative. My main issue is why the feck would professional players need to be rested for a Tuesday game when the next game isn't until the following Sunday?

McCarthy will have a real problem if it isn't backed by a result on Sunday, and he hasn't a leg to stand on later in the season if one of the top teams puts out a weakened side facing one of Wolves relegation rivals.

It's fair enough for the Wolves fans that travelled to give out imo. stg£40 odd for a ticket, plus travel/ meals/ drink etc (plus possibly time off work). Easy to write off the game when you aren't shelling out.

drummerboy
16/12/2009, 10:30 AM
The so callled Top Four have being doing this for years and are now moaning about Wolves doing it. Such hyprocity.

Lionel Ritchie
16/12/2009, 10:39 AM

will you ever blow it out.

If, say some saturday next march or april, ManU field a weakened team against one of Wolves relegation sparring partners just because they've a CL semi-final the following wednesday no one'll blink or spare a thought for how this affects Wolves. No one'll challenge fergie about it and why should MMc behave with any less self interest than he does.

bishbash
16/12/2009, 10:40 AM
whats the big deal? wolves would have lost if they put out their strongest team at least this way they have given themselves a platform to better prepare for the burnley game. granted this is no guarantee taht they will win but he is trying to gives his team the best chance of winning a match that the realistically can. added to the fact that they were doing a lot of chasing in the latter stages of the spurs game they probably needed a rest considering it was only a couple of days ago. really cant see why people are havin a go it seems like a decision arrived at using common sense and logic.

Nagger
16/12/2009, 10:44 AM
will you ever blow it out.

If, say some saturday next march or april, ManU field a weakened team against one of Wolves relegation sparring partners just because they've a CL semi-final the following wednesday no one'll blink or spare a thought for how this affects Wolves. No one'll challenge fergie about it and why should MMc behave with any less self interest than he does.

I agree. Only difference is that Wolves are fighting for survival in the Premier League. I think he made a smart move. He's needs his top players fit againts the " weaker sides "

zenokelly
16/12/2009, 10:48 AM
Very risky move indeed, but you can see where he's coming from. They would have lost anyway, and considering that the Burnley match is going to have a serious bearing on hwether they stay up, he did the right thing to change it completely.

But if they lose, he'll be a dead man.

Ovviously the people that are going to be p!ssed off are those fans who travelled to the game forking out big money, no need to have a go with him here because of Saipan, MOVE ON

centre mid
16/12/2009, 10:49 AM
Fielding a weakened team is a managers perogative. My main issue is why the feck would professional players need to be rested for a Tuesday game when the next game isn't until the following Sunday?

Probably more to do with injury avoidance than resting players. Plus Christmas is a mad time in English Football. Never understood the need to cram as many games into Christmas week as possible. Maybe it goes back to when industry would shut up shop for a week over Christmas so attendances would sky rocket over the week.

jbyrne
16/12/2009, 11:24 AM
Probably more to do with injury avoidance than resting players.

heard mick on the radio saying that a player has about 10% chance of injury in a game but it rises to 30% if he plays another tough game withing a few days

i can understand why he did it in relation to EPL survival but surely the whole point in being in the EPL is to play against the best teams?

back of the net
16/12/2009, 11:32 AM

Are you being serious????? Please tell me that your not !!!

Mick made the right call - he knows his squads limitations and he knows he has to try and win the games against teams at their level. Even with a full strength side they would have struggled against united....if they beat burnley at the w/e he will be a hero again.

Its "fans" like the above that p*ss me off - were they saying the same things when he got them promoted or when he took over them and they were one of the favourites to be relegated from the championship and he turned them around..something martin o'neill called "THE MANAGERIAL FEAT OF THAT SEASON".

The man is an absolute legend - yes he makes mistakes, but last nite was not one of them. He has undoubtely proved himself to be a very good manager and i have no doubt with mick at the helm they will stay up this season. He may be blunt but he is honest and committed and is a very good man manager and does extremely well when given squads with limitations.

Fair Play Mick ....Keep up the Great Work

jebus
16/12/2009, 11:32 AM
Although I will say that I'd be annoyed if I were a Wolves supporter who had travelled to Manchester the ones calling for his head are spouting rubbish

tiktok
16/12/2009, 11:38 AM
i can understand why he did it in relation to EPL survival but surely the whole point in being in the EPL is to play against the best teams?

The point of playing in the EPL for a club like Wolves is to put yourself in a position where you will continue to play in the EPL, not so you can chat about how lovely Anfield is when you're back in the Championship the following season.

Anyway, in case you hadn't noticed, Wolves did actually play against Manchester United last night.

Jacky08
16/12/2009, 11:47 AM
United had a poor enough team out as well - he may have got somehting from the game if he had hiss strongest selection start

Greenbod
16/12/2009, 12:19 PM
Anyway, in case you hadn't noticed, Wolves did actually play against Manchester United last night.

Exactly. He has a squad of first team players from which he picked a team for last night's game.

It could be argued his squad is actually stronger today after last nights experience.

SalvadorSanchez
16/12/2009, 12:31 PM
Mick McCarthy was dead right imo, judge him at the end of the season, wolves wouldnt have beaten united more than likely anyway, before the 3 games (spurs, united and burnley) if you had have told the fans they'd get 4 or 6 points the'y bite your hand off. There nearly there. I thought it was a good move from McCarthy. Oh football fans are so fickle.

Spot on....
he's picking his battles in order to get the best chance of points and survival, no point sending his first team out and watch them get turned over by Utd and have morale damaged after a few decent results.
Best to rest them and try to get points off Burnley, Alex Ferguson, Rafa Benitez and Arsene Wenger wouldn't crib about resting players until priority games... but if Mick does it he's worse than Hitler... get a life the lot of you!!!! that's smart management what he did... tough on the Wolves fans who travelled but if they have 3 more points come 4.45 on Saturday there won't be a word about this....

macdermesser
16/12/2009, 12:32 PM
Sorry .. but apart from the obvious attempt to wind people up .. saipan etc ... why is this in the Ireland forum?

Greenbod
16/12/2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry .. but apart from the obvious attempt to wind people up .. saipan etc ... why is this in the Ireland forum?

No reason...apart from the obvious as you've pointed out.

tetsujin1979
16/12/2009, 12:41 PM
Mick being asked by the Premier League Powers That Be to explain his team selection
I reckon he should tell them "it's my team, I'll pick whoever I want, and while you're at it, I'm not the first person to do it"

United VS Arsenal 16-05-2009
Van der Sar ,O'Shea ,Vidic ,Jonny Evans ,Evra ,Ronaldo ,Fletcher ,Carrick ,Giggs ,Rooney (Anderson ,89 ) ,Tevez (Park ,67)
Subs not used: Kuszczak,Neville,Berbatov,Scholes,Rafael Da Silva,

United VS Hull 24-05-2009
Kuszczak ,Rafael Da Silva (Eckersley ,60 ) ,Neville ,Brown ,de Laet (Possebon ,79 ) ,Nani ,Fletcher ,Gibson ,Welbeck (Tosic ,87 ) ,Martin ,Macheda
Subs not used Amos,Corry Evans,Drinkwater,James,

<EDIT>
Where were the same fans calling for his head last weekend after they won 2 games back to back in the Premiership for the first time in an age?
However, if they don't win against Burnley at home this weekend, it really will increase the pressure on him

Macy
16/12/2009, 12:43 PM
Plus Christmas is a mad time in English Football. Never understood the need to cram as many games into Christmas week as possible. Maybe it goes back to when industry would shut up shop for a week over Christmas so attendances would sky rocket over the week.
It's not that mad anymore, even compared to what I remember. It used to be Christmas Day and St Stephens Day fixtures (local games, reversed on the next day). It does go back to when industry shut up shop, when the UK had industry and when football was a working class sport.

Like I said earlier, it's a manager’s prerogative, but I still don't get the logic really. The big four are playing midweek most weeks, whilst the Wolves wouldn't, and it's a bit disingenuous to compare a United/ Arsenal/ Chelsea weakened team to the wolves one imo.

For the record, it's not a "Saipan" issue for me - the Managers of the weaker teams that don't win much that do it in the UEFA Cup, League Cup and the FA Cup are just as feckin stupid in my opinion.

Wolfie
16/12/2009, 12:43 PM
McCarthy knows there is no glory in relegation. He's experienced with Sunderland and will implement the best plan to ensure Wolves avoid the same fate.

Didn't he bring the already relegated Sunderland to Old Trafford a few years ago and get a big result to effectively kill off Utd in the league? Sunderland still went down.

jbyrne
16/12/2009, 1:04 PM
The point of playing in the EPL for a club like Wolves is to put yourself in a position where you will continue to play in the EPL, not so you can chat about how lovely Anfield is when you're back in the Championship the following season.

i am not against what he did but surely sport is about doing your best to compete with the best? why bust a gut to get somewhere only to send the reserves out against the champions. thats not sport to me

tiktok
16/12/2009, 1:12 PM
i am not against what he did but surely sport is about doing your best to compete with the best?

An Eleven made up of Wolves' first team squad did compete with Manchester United.
A game of football still took place, a sporting event still happened.

Individual players might get the hump but they're not more important than Wolves' survival in the EPL. By sending a weaker team out, McCarthy may well guarantee that Wolves will continue to compette at this level next season.

And why in the name of God am I still posting in this thread?

jbyrne
16/12/2009, 1:29 PM
An Eleven made up of Wolves' first team squad did compete with Manchester United.
A game of football still took place, a sporting event still happened.

Individual players might get the hump but they're not more important than Wolves' survival in the EPL. By sending a weaker team out, McCarthy may well guarantee that Wolves will continue to compette at this level next season.

And why in the name of God am I still posting in this thread?

guarantee, really?

rambler14
16/12/2009, 2:23 PM
Big 6 pointer vs Burnley at the weekend. More important to Wolves than trying to burst their b0llocks beating Man United having already done it 3 days previous vs Spurs.

ArdeeBhoy
16/12/2009, 2:26 PM

Dunphy can't register under his real name these days....

centre mid
16/12/2009, 2:35 PM
looks like Mick was right after all (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1294108&postcount=1)

tiktok
16/12/2009, 2:37 PM
guarantee, really?

Read the post again and look at the two words that came before 'guarantee'.
There's a good lad!

an_ceannaire
16/12/2009, 2:54 PM
Are you being serious????? Please tell me that your not !!!

Mick made the right call - he knows his squads limitations and he knows he has to try and win the games against teams at their level. Even with a full strength side they would have struggled against united....if they beat burnley at the w/e he will be a hero again.

Its "fans" like the above that p*ss me off - were they saying the same things when he got them promoted or when he took over them and they were one of the favourites to be relegated from the championship and he turned them around..something martin o'neill called "THE MANAGERIAL FEAT OF THAT SEASON".

The man is an absolute legend - yes he makes mistakes, but last nite was not one of them. He has undoubtely proved himself to be a very good manager and i have no doubt with mick at the helm they will stay up this season. He may be blunt but he is honest and committed and is a very good man manager and does extremely well when given squads with limitations.

Fair Play Mick ....Keep up the Great Work

:D :D
Funny, I would say he is anything but honest and an extremely poor man manager! :rolleyes:

an_ceannaire
16/12/2009, 2:58 PM
Read the post again and look at the two words that came before 'guarantee'.
There's a good lad!

Oooooohhhhhhh!!! Nice bit of patronising of JByrne there!!! :p

Brendan 82
16/12/2009, 3:10 PM
I think he is quite a good manager. Usual sensationalism

Stuttgart88
16/12/2009, 3:56 PM

Once again Mick proves what a complete and utter gobsh*te he really is :rolleyes:This post does indeed prove someone is a "complete and utter gobsh*te" alright.

jbyrne
16/12/2009, 3:59 PM
Oooooohhhhhhh!!! Nice bit of patronising of JByrne there!!! :p

sure when the level of "debate" reaches that level who could be bothered.
"could well have gauranteed" is more or less the same thing anyway. over a 38 game season i doubt not putting out a strongest team v man utd will be seen as the thing that "could well have gauranteed" their survival.

as per my previous posts i can understand why it was done but as a sportsman it goes against my ideals. its all opinion at the end of the day

Stuttgart88
16/12/2009, 4:01 PM
:D :D
Funny, I would say he is anything but honest and an extremely poor man manager! :rolleyes:Of all the players that ever played for him I'd guess that about one would agree with you.

Although that one did say "Mick McCarthy was top class" in his advice to him early in his managerial career.

dan o d
16/12/2009, 4:31 PM
i agree with mick on this one- although he did go a little over the top changing all his outfield players. he as manager is entitled to play whoever he likes, and to be fair whatever team he played would have spent the night chasing the ball around and most likely losing.

OwlsFan
16/12/2009, 4:31 PM
an_ceannaire is a wind up merchant and would have a good job replacing LAughing Bill O'Herlihy on the RTE Panel. "The earth is square: discuss." "No Bill, it's round but only us people in the know are aware of that"

I commented on Mick's selection on the EPL thread in World Football where this thread should probably belong but not much action there :o

Surprised at Mick Mc's decision to rest almost the whole team against Man U. I know he has often said their fate will not depend on results against Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal but against the other teams but I think he was wrong for the following reasons:

(a) Sends the wrong signals to the players and fans i.e. we have no hope of competing with the top teams. We are way too inferior that there is no point in even showing up.

(b) I am sure their top players would have liked to play Man U at Old Trafford.

(c) It lets down the fans who travelled to Old T.

(d) Don't agree with this resting business. The likes of Houllier and other continental managers brought this in to the game in England. Previously, when English teams, in particular Liverpool, dominated Europe, there was no resting of players. The same team usually played week in, week out, and it seemed to have no adverse affect.

(e) Man U were not playing well and lost their last game at home. Wolves had won their last game. A "result" was not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Sorry Mick, I think it was the wrong decision whether they beat Burnley next game or not.

DCross06
16/12/2009, 4:47 PM
I think its unfair on the Wolves players and fans, I was reading an interview with Kevin Doyle a while back and one of the reasons he gave for joining Wolves was that he was looking forward to playing in the Premiership at Old Trafford and the likes, I think every player wants to test themselves against the best and if you'd ask any of the rested players at the start of the season I'd say 100% of them would have picked from the fixture list, were away in Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park etc, not the likes of Turf Moor, after winning 2 games in a row and against a weakened Man United team I feel Mick should have "given it a lash". After deciding what team he was going pick for the game(which was probably decided a while ago) I feel he should have let it be known so as the fans would have had no reason to feel short changed.

Lenny82
16/12/2009, 5:04 PM
Wolves have played in Old Trafford already this season in the Carling Cup so the first teamers and the fans have had their BIG DAY OUT. The fans who are "outraged" with what Mick did need to have a chat with themselves. If it wasn't for him, they would be travelling to the likes of Plymouth to watch their team play this season.

They have had 2 very tough games and managed to pick up a vital 6 points. Alot of his first team would be in need of a rest (and don't start all that sh*te that professional footballers shouldn't need to rest) and some may have been carrying knocks.

3 points against Burnely rather than against Man United are so much more important and if Wolves finish 1 point ahead of Burnley and survive the drop come the end of the season (provided they do beat Burnley) all those fans will be kissing his arse.

No point beating Man United if you end up in the Championship next year. Wolves need time to develop their squad so no, they cannot compete just yet but with what Mick is doing, they may well one day soon!!!

Leeside Swagger
16/12/2009, 5:13 PM
Ill be backing Burnley at the weekend anyway.

Razors left peg
16/12/2009, 5:25 PM
Micks a decent manager at Championship standard but personally I dont think hes good enough for the Premiership.Got relegated with a record points low the last time he was there and even though Wolves work hard enough I think they will be relegated .Last night made no difference but alot of managers might have thought that after United losing at the weekend that a point would have been possible last night.
What way would we have reacted if in the last campaign there was double header with Italy and Bulgaria and Trap had played the 2nd string against Italy saying that we had a better chance of beating Bulgaria. I know its not the same but if I was a Wolves fan I would be annoyed