PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this kind of journalism to me.

Murfinator
13/12/2009, 7:29 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2009/1210/sennaa_f1.html

Most notably

Overall, there are three Britons in the top 10, with Jim Clark, Sir Jackie Stewart and Stirling Moss in fifth, sixth and eighth places respectively.
Nigel Mansell comes in at number 11, with Britain's last two world champions in Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button 17th and 30th respectively.
The top 10 F1 drivers of all time: 1 Ayrton Senna; 2 Michael Schumacher; 3 Juan Manuel Fangio; 4 Alain Prost; 5 Jim Clark; 6 Jackie Stewart; 7 Niki Lauda; 8 Stirling Moss; 9 Fernando Alonso; 10 Gilles Villeneuve.
Selected others: 11 Nigel Mansell; 17 Lewis Hamilton; 21 Graham Hill; 23 John Surtees; 24 James Hunt; 30 Jenson Button.

It's not an isolated article by any means but why do Irish journalists feel the need to mention british participation in these kind of things and single them out for mention, I don't understand why they think the public are interested in that. I'd much rather know where Hakkinen, Raikonnen etc finished than a pile of brits, many who I've never heard of.

I thought at first the story might have been sourced elsewhere but I can't find anything of the sort in the article, so assuming RTE wrote it why do they assume that the public believe in terms of interest: Ireland > UK > every other country in the world?

John83
13/12/2009, 7:46 PM
(a) Motorsport fans here would have predominantly consumed English media on the subject, meaning that there's probably a slightly greater name recognition for older English drivers. Of course, this doesn't excuse those guys being named while modern drivers who would have even more name-recognition aren't.

(b) The article is probably cogged from an anglo-centric article on the same subject.

(c) Maybe the public are interested in that.

What I don't get is why, given this is online, they don't give the whole bloody list - or even a link to it. It's like online journalism hasn't figured out what it's doing yet.

pineapple stu
13/12/2009, 7:54 PM
(b) The article is probably cogged from an anglo-centric article on the same subject.
My guess too. Copy and paste. Off for a pint.

Schumi
13/12/2009, 9:54 PM
The article says the poll was done by Autosport, an English motorsport magazine. I'd say the RTE article is just the contents of their press release which would be aimed at an English audience.

Dodge
13/12/2009, 11:53 PM
The article says the poll was done by Autosport, an English motorsport magazine. I'd say the RTE article is just the contents of their press release which would be aimed at an English audience.

WIthout checking I'd be certain that the major Irish online news sites (rte, breaking news, indo, IT) print press releases without editting most of them. Particularly in sport. Its why you'll see some Premier League's club injury report press relese as headline news when Irish based news (in all sports) takes ages to come online

endabob1
19/12/2009, 6:05 AM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/racing/top-stories/Senna-voted-greatest-Formula-One-driver-of-all-time/articleshow/5324687.cms

Same story in India

tipp man
19/12/2009, 7:42 PM
Can someone explain this kind of journalism to me.

In a word.........lazy.

The Fly
20/12/2009, 12:45 AM
Leaving aside the main thrust of the thread, here's my revised list;

1. Schumacher
2. Fangio
3. Senna
4. Clark
5. Prost
6. Stewart
7. Lauda
8. Moss
9. Alonso
10. G. Villeneuve

crc
20/12/2009, 2:24 AM
...why do they [RTE] assume that the public believe in terms of interest: Ireland > UK > every other country in the world?
Taking off my green tinted glasses for a moment, I believe that IS a fair representation of how most Irish people consider the world.

SligoBrewer
22/12/2009, 1:09 AM
Except when it comes to football.

crc
23/12/2009, 11:05 PM
indeed!

the ox
01/01/2010, 2:24 PM
A lot of the news stories on the RTE website are taken from the Press Association, based in Yorkshire. Not lazy journalism per se, just the way the media works.

Hence why Ireland match reports on the website often refer to 'the Republic' because they were written for an English audience.