PDA

View Full Version : Christmas viewing on RTE: "Out of their hands: Ireland's World Cup Journey"

Pages : [1] 2

EastTerracer
12/12/2009, 11:49 PM
Tuesday December 29th, RTÉ Two, 8.30pm

OUT OF THEIR HANDS: IRELAND'S WORLD CUP JOURNEY
Darragh Maloney looks back at Ireland's dramatic attempt to reach next year's World Cup Finals in South Africa. From the stunning appointment of legendary Italian manager Giovanni Trapattoni through to the heartbreaking and controversial climax in Paris, Darragh reviews the ups and downs of a campaign where Ireland were asked to overcome both 2006 finalists and the FIFA hierarchy in order to take their place at the big show next Summer, a task that proved just too much in the end.

ArdeeBhoy
13/12/2009, 12:25 AM
Tuesday December 29th, RTÉ Two, 8.30pm

OUT OF THEIR HANDS: IRELAND'S WORLD CUP JOURNEY
Darragh Maloney looks back at Ireland's dramatic attempt to reach next year's World Cup Finals in South Africa. From the stunning appointment of legendary Italian manager Giovanni Trapattoni through to the heartbreaking and controversial climax in Paris, Darragh reviews the ups and downs of a campaign where Ireland were asked to overcome both 2006 finalists and the FIFA hierarchy in order to take their place at the big show next Summer, a task that proved just too much in the end.

Shouldn't they save this for the next Friday 13th or the eve of the Finals themselves, to facilitate the self-persecution aspect?
And get D*nphy/R*y & Stan to present the highlights. With 'special' guest, by live satellite link, :rolleyes: a Mr.S.Ireland.

NeilMcD
13/12/2009, 11:42 AM
I am going to be in tears watching this I know I am.

irishultra
13/12/2009, 11:48 AM
Wasn't in their hands though? I mean they should have beaten France 2-0 in 90 minutes and they threw away valuable points.

peadar1987
13/12/2009, 11:53 AM
Wasn't in their hands though? I mean they should have beaten France 2-0 in 90 minutes and they threw away valuable points.

I think it's more of a pun about Thierry Henry than an accurate statement about our qualifying campaign!

rambler14
13/12/2009, 1:54 PM

Grow up FFS. Time to get over it!

NeilMcD
13/12/2009, 2:02 PM

Sorry, I am entitled to get emontional about my team that I support and travel all around Europe to support. Even if we got knocked out on penalties or just got knocked out in the play offs I would be the same. Fans are entitled to get emotional about their team and post it on a forum which is for their team. I dont go on to the ramblers forum and tell people to get over your defeats.

rambler14
13/12/2009, 2:07 PM
Sorry, I am entitled to get emontional about my team that I support and travel all around Europe to support. Even if we got knocked out on penalties or just got knocked out in the play offs I would be the same. Fans are entitled to get emotional about their team and post it on a forum which is for their team. I dont go on to the ramblers forum and tell people to get over your defeats.

You are entitled to get emotional and I feel your pain because I was at every qualifying game bar 4 of them this year so don't try use the "I'm a better supporter than you" card on me because the grieving process has to begin sometime.

Don't cry about it. Get revenge. Take in a French student and lock the fecker under the stairs!

As for going on the Ramblers forum..........I don't go on it either! :cool:

Murfinator
13/12/2009, 2:50 PM

I want to lock you under the stairs right now after saying something like that. :mad:

MeathDrog
13/12/2009, 3:31 PM
Haha!!

carloz
13/12/2009, 3:53 PM
I won't be able to look at this at all. It will make me angry and depressed

osarusan
13/12/2009, 4:11 PM
so don't try use the "I'm a better supporter than you" card on me because the grieving process has to begin sometime.

He specifically didn't use that argument.

jbyrne
13/12/2009, 4:34 PM
He specifically didn't use that argument.

he didnt but i will. missing 4 games v someone who attended all the qualifiers does make you less of a supporter

osarusan
13/12/2009, 5:03 PM
he didnt but i will. missing 4 games v someone who attended all the qualifiers does make you less of a supporter
Oh good. This debate again. Lovely.

jbyrne
13/12/2009, 5:21 PM
Oh good. This debate again. Lovely.

no debate really. the less you bother to go the less a supporter you are. simple as

richieos
13/12/2009, 5:27 PM
no debate really. the less you bother to go the less a supporter you are. simple as

So if one fan has the money to be travelling to every single match, he's more of a supporter than somebody who for example doesn't have a job? its not as simple as you make it out to be.

stiffler
13/12/2009, 6:01 PM
Id rather see a programme about the up and coming talent that we have at our disposal, and the desire of Trap and the current squad to qualify for the next major tournament!

ArdeeBhoy
13/12/2009, 8:34 PM

Sorry, that's complete b*llox.
Only missed two games(through choice), but there's plenty of real fans who went to less.

irishfan86
13/12/2009, 9:41 PM
Is there a possibility of anybody recording this and putting it up online for the exiles? Or will this be available on the RTE website?

Fixer82
14/12/2009, 1:34 AM
silly name for the programme and poor use of pun really. It was completely in their hands to go and beat the French or even qualify automatically.
Should've beaten Italy and Montenegro (possibly twice)
if Henry hadnt handled the ball this programme wouldnt have been made....

Junior
14/12/2009, 7:54 AM
Is there a possibility of anybody recording this and putting it up online for the exiles? Or will this be available on the RTE website?

Seconded - would be much appreciated.

Not sure you can view RTE player outside of Ireland?

tetsujin1979
14/12/2009, 9:15 AM
Of course it would have, there's always been a review at Christmas time after a qualifying series has completed. In the review of the World Cup 2006 qualifiers, I remember Dunphy pointing out that it was the performance of Given, more than any other player, that dictated the result in the final games of those qualifiers.

<EDIT>
think this is the thread about that documentary: http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=32220

Closed Account
14/12/2009, 11:20 AM
Seconded - would be much appreciated.

Not sure you can view RTE player outside of Ireland?
When something is being shown on RTE, there is a way of downloading the SMIL file which a streaming file for real media, anyway, by reading the source of this file, you can get an rtsp:// link which if you open in realplayer, you can watch RTE live from anywhere in the world as that link doesn't check your location. If I'm online at the time of the documentary I'll put the link up but you can't get the link until its actually on.

endabob1
14/12/2009, 12:01 PM
Joe does "rtsp:// link " business that really work??
Sorry I'm not very techy

tetsujin1979
14/12/2009, 12:11 PM
Joe does "rtsp:// link " business that really work??
Sorry I'm not very techy
yeah, it does. I've sent the link for various shows to a friend of mine in New Zealand before

I'd imagine the documentary will be on RTE's player though

Wolfie
14/12/2009, 12:13 PM

Sure would have. With a bit more luck it could possibly have been called "The Road to South Africa".

Junior
14/12/2009, 12:55 PM
When something is being shown on RTE, there is a way of downloading the SMIL file which a streaming file for real media, anyway, by reading the source of this file, you can get an rtsp:// link which if you open in realplayer, you can watch RTE live from anywhere in the world as that link doesn't check your location. If I'm online at the time of the documentary I'll put the link up but you can't get the link until its actually on.

Will this only work when its on RTE 'live'?

Or could you get the rtsp:// link using the rteplayer for the next week?

cheers for the info.

Yard of Pace
14/12/2009, 2:15 PM
Far too early for this kind of thing! It'll only be about 40 days. I know Jesus did whatever it was he was doing in the desert in that length of time but this is altogether a more serious business.

NeilMcD
14/12/2009, 2:20 PM
You are entitled to get emotional and I feel your pain because I was at every qualifying game bar 4 of them this year so don't try use the "I'm a better supporter than you" card on me because the grieving process has to begin sometime.

Don't cry about it. Get revenge. Take in a French student and lock the fecker under the stairs!

As for going on the Ramblers forum..........I don't go on it either! :cool:

I never used that argument at all. I dont think I am more of a fan than you. Its not really a debate that is really relevant to this. AlL I was saying is that I know that when I watch that programme I am going to get emotional, as never having been to a world cup and to be so close to see and having invested a lot of emotion in the campaign and before I see nothing really weird about that. I think its a bit weird to mock that esp on a forum for the fans of the Republic of Ireland national team. I do not have anything against the French and my emtions are not one of anger but possibly of regret that we did not make it for whatever reason. I have many french friends.

tetsujin1979
14/12/2009, 3:02 PM
Will this only work when its on RTE 'live'?

Or could you get the rtsp:// link using the rteplayer for the next week?

cheers for the info.
yeah, the rtsp link is only available for "live" shows, the RTE player uses a completely different system.

pineapple stu
14/12/2009, 3:15 PM
I was at every qualifying game bar 4 of them this year
Every game this year bar four? Wow! What a boast! I translate that as "I was at all the home games, but none of the away games, but this is a much better way of saying it" :p

Closed Account
14/12/2009, 3:19 PM
yeah, the rtsp link is only available for "live" shows, the RTE player uses a completely different system.
Have you found a way of ripping from RTE Player yet? Its probably illegal so if you have, no need to explain it, just curious. Very professional piece of work for RTE.

DaveyCakes
14/12/2009, 3:51 PM
I won't be able to look at this at all. It will make me angry and depressed

I know how you feel. An hour of slow motion footage with Snow Patrol playing over the top will be enough to make anyone angry and depressed:D

back of the net
14/12/2009, 4:24 PM

With all due respect Rambler, who are you to tell a fellow fan to Grow up and get over it?? ....

It has been a highly emotional campaign , a campaign that has seen our team and fans enjoy glorious emotional moments such as Keanes goal in Bari, getting through the group unbeaten , st ledger against Italy , The atmosphere in croker , and yet it has also been a campaign that has consisted of dissapointing moments too.

Our team ,management and fans gave everything to qualify for South Africa but in the end were stopped by a cruel injustice. Neither The team nor the fans deserved that.

I am no bigger a fan than you or anyone else on this site but i like NeilMcD will nearly be in tears watching the documentary myself knowing despite all the fantastic achievements we did in the qualifying stages that ultimately the documentary will end with a sad ending...an ending that is not deserved but unfortunately very real.

All fans have their own way of dealing what happened in paris ,some can move on quicker than others and to them i say fair play but some cant and that is just the way it is.

I am sure you will agree that we as Ireland fans have hopefully some great times ahead but for those of us that cant quite move on from Paris just yet, i would hope you can understand our reasons for not doing so.

Rgds

BOTN

mypost
14/12/2009, 9:53 PM
It has been a highly emotional campaign , a campaign that has seen our team and fans enjoy glorious emotional moments such as Keanes goal in Bari, getting through the group unbeaten , st ledger against Italy , The atmosphere in croker , and yet it has also been a campaign that has consisted of dissapointing moments too.

Our team ,management and fans gave everything to qualify for South Africa but in the end were stopped by a cruel injustice. Neither The team nor the fans deserved that.

I am no bigger a fan than you or anyone else on this site but i like NeilMcD will nearly be in tears watching the documentary myself knowing despite all the fantastic achievements we did in the qualifying stages that ultimately the documentary will end with a sad ending...an ending that is not deserved but unfortunately very real.

Neil is used to been in tears from watching games of teams wearing green and white, his last was in October. :p

I would like to know the game criteria that decides what a real Ireland fan is. All the homes, all the aways??

The doc would definitely have been made, and shown at Christmas, regardless how it panned out. That's when reviews are shown, not in the height of summer. Unlike after the past 2 campaigns we can look to the future with optimism, hopefully that will be reflected in the doc.

While we should get on with it, nobody has the right to tell us when we should "get over" it.:rolleyes:

back of the net
15/12/2009, 11:22 AM
Neil is used to been in tears from watching games of teams wearing green and white, his last was in October. :p

Haha :p

I would like to know the game criteria that decides what a real Ireland fan is. All the homes, all the aways??
I would never dare to presume to know the criteria of other people for what they believe a real fan is , for me it is someone that is there to support the team through good and bad times, to never lessen their support through the bad times but to equally celebrate in the good times, but that is just my opinion nor would i have the audacity to say that I,you, him or her is a better fan than anyone else.....the way i look at it is that all of us on this forum are Fans.

The doc would definitely have been made, and shown at Christmas, regardless how it panned out. That's when reviews are shown, not in the height of summer. Unlike after the past 2 campaigns we can look to the future with optimism, hopefully that will be reflected in the doc.

Absolutely Agree with you Mypost, it would have been made, i think my point was though that it will be made with an ending that maybe should not be. As you say hopefully the positive future will be refelected in the doc and put a smile on our faces

While we should get on with it, nobody has the right to tell us when we should "get over" it.:rolleyes:

Eventually we will have to get on with it....it has happened , it cant be changed, but for me its quite understanble that for fans it is and will be a sore and emotional point for a little bit longer. Some of the players have said the same, that it will linger with them for a long time, e.g Doyle,duff. As they are the players who went through the experience i feel that is completely rational. But for the fans although we were not on the pitch, we were in the stands or in front of the T.V,kicking , heading and tackling for every ball with them. People on here have said the one good thing that happened in paris was the bond that was shown between the fans and the players at the end of the game and i completely agree with that.

elroy
29/12/2009, 7:43 PM
Decent programme so far, interesting look back, tinted with sadness.

Man how many chances does McGeady need to score for us, he had two great chances, one against Cyprus and the other against Bulgaria and thats only in the first half of the campaign.

rambler14
29/12/2009, 8:16 PM

Man how many chances does McGeady need to score for us, he had two great chances, one against Cyprus and the other against Bulgaria and thats only in the first half of the campaign.

It's a well known fact that Aiden McGeady is crap!

eaststand85
29/12/2009, 8:46 PM
Painful stuff obviously but not made any better by the RTE treatment. Brief highlights of each match & some post match interviews to pad it out was pretty poor effort, particularly when compared with the equivalent review of the 6 Nations. Could have done with some proper anlysis and new interviews with the players and management.

eaststand85
29/12/2009, 8:52 PM

Some terrible misses alright, how many goals & chances did Kilbane & McShane give away at the far end too?

mypost
29/12/2009, 9:16 PM
Brief highlights of each match & some post match interviews to pad it out was pretty poor effort, particularly when compared with the equivalent review of the 6 Nations. Could have done with some proper anlysis and new interviews with the players and management.

It's a Christmas review, not an in-depth look game-by-game. It's documentary-style.

eaststand85
29/12/2009, 9:32 PM
It's a Christmas review, not an in-depth look game-by-game. It's documentary-style.

It was cheap and (not very) cheerful as well as lazy imo.

Expected better, particularly as the RTE sports department have shown previously that they can do some good stuff.

mypost
29/12/2009, 9:39 PM
Recession.

Forensic analysis is what the RTE panel are employed for. Christmas reviews, no matter what the sport, are the bare minimum necessary.

eaststand85
29/12/2009, 9:48 PM
True enough but they could have at least got the panel to contribute and tried for some new interviews with players and/or management.

mandrake
30/12/2009, 5:37 PM
painful to watch the second bit ... i was inf rance and watched it last nigth to actually see some of our misses/chances, i didnt see any of them in replays or online. i thought it was alright, thankfully didnt dwell on the handball too much .

geysir
30/12/2009, 5:46 PM
True enough but they could have at least got the panel to contribute and tried for some new interviews with players and/or management.

I missed the show.
It must have been really bad if a few short scenes with the panel could have improved things.

elroy
30/12/2009, 7:01 PM
Its on the rte iplayer for those who missed it.

The rugby got the glossy treatment as their campaign resulted in success. When was the last time there was a review of our campaign when it hasnt been a success, so it was better than nothing.

Killer and McShane were at fault for a large portion of the goals but having watched the first one against Georgia again I think Dunne gave his man a free header which resulted in the ball over Kelly, so I think Dunner gets at least 50% of the blame for that goal, other than that he was Man of the campaign with Keano.

geysir
30/12/2009, 8:10 PM
If we got to SA I'd be replaying every game from beginning to end, as it is, I really couldn't be bothered.
Most all highlights are already imprinted in memory and on this site have been forensically analysed from a hundred different angles to the nth degree and to a much higher standard than the sound bites you get in such a program.

It would take some documentary skill to properly encapsulate the campaign from the beginning to the final whistle in Paris.

mypost
30/12/2009, 8:54 PM
The rugby got the glossy treatment as their campaign resulted in success. When was the last time there was a review of our campaign when it hasnt been a success, so it was better than nothing.

Kerr's failure to qualify for Germany.

Afaik, the rugger buggers got the glossy treatment because it's repeating the actual DVD already released, and not a doc specifically timed for Christmas as the football one was. It wasn't as good as the Kerr doc, but I've seen worse.

OwlsFan
31/12/2009, 7:36 AM

You never "get over" something like this. You move on but as for getting over it - never!