PDA

View Full Version : Personnel for 2010

bwagner
11/12/2009, 4:22 PM
What are your taughts for our squad outlook in 2010 ( Barring injuries etc)

Id like the following core squad:

Given
Westwood
Murphy

Dunne
O'Shea
Wilson
St. Ledger
Coleman
Bardsley
Matt connolly
Kevin Foley
Ward

Whelan
Andrews
Duff
Lawerence
Hunt
Mc Geady
Mc Cann
Fahey
A Reid
Ephraim
Darron Gibson
Darren ambrose

Keane
Best
Doyle
Folan
Stokes
Sheridan
Jutkiewicz
Dixon

colster
11/12/2009, 4:31 PM

Given
Westwood
Murphy

Dunne
O'Shea
Wilson
St. Ledger
Coleman
Bardsley
Matt connolly
Kevin Foley
Ward

Andrews
Duff
Lawerence
Hunt
Mc Geady
Mc Cann
Fahey
A Reid
Ephraim
Darron Gibson
Darren ambrose

Keane
Best
Doyle
Folan
Stokes
Sheridan
Jutkiewicz
Dixon

What about Whelan, Garvan, S.Reid, O'Dea, Kelly etc. all of whom are actually available to Ireland instead of these prospective Irish you have included.

TrapAPony
11/12/2009, 5:20 PM
I know some won't agree but at least this would be the panel of players I'd choose if ''I'' was Trap, taking into consideration that every 'Plastic Paddy' said Yes and also if one individual sorted his head out & returned from his exile.

Shay Given (Man City)
Andy Lonergan (Preston)
Kieran Westwood (Coventry)
Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe)
Brian Murphy (Ipswich)
John O'Shea (Man Utd)
Stephen Kelly (Fulham)
Anton Ferdinand (Sunderland)
Richard Dunne (Aston Villa)
Gary Cahill (Bolton)
Matt Kilgallon (Sheffield Utd)
Steve Finnan (Portsmouth)
Kevin Foley (Wolves)
Kevin Kilbane (Hull City)
Stephen Ward (Wolves)
Phil Bardsley (Sunderland)
Marc Wilson (Portsmouth)
Mark Noble (West Ham)
Kevin Nolan (Newcastle)
Steven Ireland (Man City)
Gary O'Neil (Middlesbrough)
Darron Gibson (Man Utd)
Andy Reid (Sunderland)
Stephen Hunt (Hull City)
Chris McCann(Burnley)
Keith Andrews (Blackburn)
Glen Whelan (Stoke)
Steven Reid (Blackburn)
Aidan McGeady (Celtic)
Liam Lawrence (Stoke)
Leon Best (Coventry)
Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham)

Simon Cox (WBA) - Don't know whether he has an Irish connection or not? Somebody before said he has, so I'd pick him if he does.

twoenz
11/12/2009, 5:40 PM
Keogh's a better player than Darren Ambrose too.

back of the net
11/12/2009, 10:05 PM
What about Whelan, Garvan, S.Reid, O'Dea, Kelly etc. all of whom are actually available to Ireland instead of these prospective Irish you have included.

agreed colster

Jicked
11/12/2009, 11:23 PM
Jesus wept. How many times have you seen Jutkiewicz play then?

Ciaran W
12/12/2009, 12:09 AM
Who is jutkiewicz ?

Crosby87
12/12/2009, 12:18 AM
Honestly i think the whole thing should be constantly about 2014. Anyone not playing in 2014 should not be selected.

Colbert Report
12/12/2009, 12:49 AM
I agree with Crosby. Time to rebuild. Realistically the only player who will not be available to us in 2014 is Kilbane, although I doubt that Duff will still be in the squad by then.

I'd like to see Mark Wilson, Seamus Coleman, and Conor Clifford break into the first team sometime in the next four years. I think that Clifford is the next big thing for us.

irishfan86
12/12/2009, 1:00 AM
I don't believe in "building for the future" in international football.

You take it on a campaign by campaign basis, and use the best players available. Our goal should be to qualify for Euro 2012, by using the best players available, whether they are 20 years old, or 36 years old.

I don't think we enjoy enough success to write the Euros off as a meaningless competition that should be used for "re-building." Let's continue with this core of players, and try to do as well as we can now. Let the young players develop with their clubs. 4 days every couple of months will do very little overall for a young player's development.

If these players demonstrate that they can be effective at club level, then we can use them for the national side.

Colbert Report
12/12/2009, 1:07 AM

You take it on a campaign by campaign basis, and use the best players available. Our goal should be to qualify for Euro 2012, by using the best players available, whether they are 20 years old, or 36 years old.

I don't think we enjoy enough success to write the Euros off as a meaningless competition that should be used for "re-building." Let's continue with this core of players, and try to do as well as we can now. Let the young players develop with their clubs. 4 days every couple of months will do very little overall for a young player's development.

If these players demonstrate that they can be effective at club level, then we can use them for the national side.

Normally I would agree with you 100% but seriously in the case of Kevin Kilbane, it is time to get someone else young and full of **** and vinegar in there. He's the only one I'd swap out. Foley at Wolves should get his shot to stake a place in the team.

irishfan86
12/12/2009, 1:21 AM
I have no problem with replacing Kilbane if there is an obviously better option out there, and certainly we should be looking at different players for that position in the friendlies between now and the Euro qualifying campaign.

Ward at Wolves is probably the #1 contender, but there are a number of alternative options out there:

-give more playing time to Nolan.
-switch O'Shea to left-full and slot one of our many promising right-fulls into their natural position (yes I realize O'Shea hasn't played much here for a few years now, but I believe he can still do it if required).

The main point of my above post was not to replace a borderline starter like Kilbane, but rather if we have a clearly better older player who can still contribute, there's no point in dropping them for the sake of youth. Our younger players will only get better if they have to train, and compete for places, with our top senior players.

Colbert Report
12/12/2009, 2:05 AM
I have no problem with replacing Kilbane if there is an obviously better option out there, and certainly we should be looking at different players for that position in the friendlies between now and the Euro qualifying campaign.

Ward at Wolves is probably the #1 contender, but there are a number of alternative options out there:

-give more playing time to Nolan.
-switch O'Shea to left-full and slot one of our many promising right-fulls into their natural position (yes I realize O'Shea hasn't played much here for a few years now, but I believe he can still do it if required).

The main point of my above post was not to replace a borderline starter like Kilbane, but rather if we have a clearly better older player who can still contribute, there's no point in dropping them for the sake of youth. Our younger players will only get better if they have to train, and compete for places, with our top senior players.

You're right, I meant Ward, not Foley. Who do you mean when you say our promising right full backs? Mark Wilson and Seamus Coleman? Who else is there coming through at that position? I can't think of anyone off-hand right now myself.

irishfan86
12/12/2009, 2:26 AM
Promising right full backs:

-Kevin Foley
-Marc Wilson
-Seamus Coleman
-Eddie Nolan

Perhaps Kyle Naughton if he decides to switch.

twoenz
12/12/2009, 9:08 AM
This is one of the last chances that a lot of our players have of getting to a major tournament, and wasn't the last campaign about rebuilding? I can't see many changes in personnel come the first game of the qualifiers. Kilbane might step aside, I can't really see any of the players that came to the fore during the last campaign taking a back seat, and none of the older players moving about a lot. Trap's not exactly one that likes to change things too much.

eelmonster
12/12/2009, 10:12 AM
Tall, handsome Dundalk man, social drinker, non-smoker, seeks tall, well-proportioned good-looking blonde girl. Chubbies and Drogheda-types need not reply.

Ciaran W
12/12/2009, 10:13 AM
Wayne rooneys little brother wants to play for ireland :D

Fixer82
12/12/2009, 10:27 AM

My TAUGHTS would be that I should be learnt my grammars better. :D

I'd have the same basic squad with Finnan and two Reids back. I'd also have another look at Darryl Murphy, Keith Fahy, Damien Delaney, Kevin Folwy and Stephen Ward in a few friendlies.

Wouldnt let Stephen Ireland back if he begged!!!

bwagner
12/12/2009, 11:18 AM

I included Whelan guys
S Reid i wish to god he was fit but he has missed four from five games with QPR - we gota be realistic.
O'Dea cant get a game at a reading team leaking goals.
Likewise for Kelly.
Garvan must be included also your right.

bwagner
12/12/2009, 11:20 AM

I'd have the same basic squad with Finnan and two Reids back. I'd also have another look at Darryl Murphy, Keith Fahy, Damien Delaney, Kevin Folwy and Stephen Ward in a few friendlies.

There is always one gob****e - My 1st language is German please remember that Professor

Park_Lane
12/12/2009, 1:06 PM

Given
Westwood
Murphy

Dunne
O'Shea
Wilson
St. Ledger
Coleman
Bardsley
Matt connolly
Kevin Foley
Ward

Whelan
Andrews
Duff
Lawerence
Hunt
Mc Geady
Mc Cann
Fahey
A Reid
Ephraim
Darron Gibson
Darren ambrose

Keane
Best
Doyle
Folan
Stokes
Sheridan
Jutkiewicz
Dixon

What is this fantasy football? I'm all for trying new players but please no journeymen championship players (ambrose) or unproven kids Dixon(who has yet to play a senior league game), Sheridan, Jutkiewicz.
would love to see Coleman make an impact also Wilson and Foley deserve chances as does Ward. Fahy probably needs to get back in birminghams team before he will be considered. Andy Reid without question should be in the squad. I'm hoping Trapp has a real go at qualifing, I really believe we can qualilify for the Euros, plus we'll be back at Lansdowne thats going to be a great athmosphere, one that opposing teams wount like one bit. Also think that Kilbane deserves a squad place, what a top player he's been for us he has experience that he can pass on to the younger members of the team plus wont let us down if called on. Remember the likes of Kevin Moran, Aldo hung continued to turn up for Ireland during the later stages of their careers and played a part.

Wangball
12/12/2009, 3:57 PM

Firstly it would be thoughts not taughts

Secondly its Foley, not Folwy

and in third wouldn't not wouldnt

& finally its Daryl Murphy...1 r in Daryl

Please tell me you were being ironic??

On topic McSheffrey is no where near good enough

Predator
12/12/2009, 4:04 PM
Jesus, we have so many perfect posters on the boards. As if it's that important really.

To add to the list of potential future internationals, for 2014 in particular, I'd add Shane Duffy to the list. He'll be 22 around that time and if he continues to make progress at Goodison, he's bound to have a bright future and every effort should be made to include him in our squads. I'll be watching the Everton v BATE game on Thursday to see if Coleman and Duffy play, because Moyes may look to rest a lot of first team players.

Razors left peg
12/12/2009, 4:23 PM
Jesus, we have so many perfect posters on the boards. As if it's that important really.

To add to the list of potential future internationals, for 2014 in particular, I'd add Shane Duffy to the list. He'll be 22 around that time and if he continues to make progress at Goodison, he's bound to have a bright future and every effort should be made to include him in our squads. I'll be watching the Everton v BATE game on Thursday to see if Coleman and Duffy play, because Moyes may look to rest a lot of first team players.

I know its been discussed on another thread but I would have thought that since he is now involved with the senior Northern Ireland squad that he has made his decision at this stage. I realise that he isnt tied down to them but I would assume that he would stick with them since they were the first to call him up much like McGeady and McCarthy decided to stick with us for that reason.
He looks a good prospect so I would like us to inquire about him but Im personally not optimistic... but I obviously dont know the full details

twoenz
12/12/2009, 4:23 PM
Isn't Duffy likely to be a Norn Irn international though?

Predator
12/12/2009, 5:08 PM
I know its been discussed on another thread but I would have thought that since he is now involved with the senior Northern Ireland squad that he has made his decision at this stage. I realise that he isnt tied down to them but I would assume that he would stick with them since they were the first to call him up much like McGeady and McCarthy decided to stick with us for that reason.
He looks a good prospect so I would like us to inquire about him but Im personally not optimistic... but I obviously dont know the full details

Well, I know it's all just speculation at present, but there was a murmur going around Derry recently that Duffy was going to declare for RoI. I think that if he's given the same opportunities with RoI as he has already had with NI, he wouldn't need any persuasion to change. It just seems to me that he's been 'given up on' by the FAI so to speak, since he's been fast-tracked through the NI setup. Trapattoni is looking to strengthen the squad for the next two campaigns by looking into every possibility i.e. English players with Irish ancestry, but we have a very promising young player who was actually born on the island, who given some luck will make it in the Premiership. I understand that at present he's only 17 (18 in the new year), but he has already made his debut for Everton and like I said, would be 22 come 2014. If his career continues to progress and he is given the right guidance, he could prove very useful for Ireland and the FAI should be putting as much effort into getting Duffy into the setup as they are trying to get the likes of Nolan etc.

Razors left peg
12/12/2009, 5:35 PM
Hope u are right Predator

Gather round
12/12/2009, 5:38 PM
I know its been discussed on another thread but I would have thought that since he is now involved with the senior Northern Ireland squad that he has made his decision at this stage

Maybe not, even with the newish rule that a dual-qualified player can change only once, he may decide to accept a cap for the RoI (u-19, U-21 or maybe even full) and take his chances.

I realise that he isnt tied down to them but I would assume that he would stick with them since they were the first to call him up much like McGeady and McCarthy decided to stick with us for that reason

I think he probably will stick with us (he's played a lot of games already, he knows everyone in the set-up, the NI senior team is probably going to be easier to break into). But we're not assuming anything ;)

He was recently dropped back into the u-19 side. There's always the posibility of fast-tracking, particularly through a friendly, but I'd be surprised if he appeared for our senior side in the next year. After that, who knows?

I think that if he's given the same opportunities with RoI as he has already had with NI, he wouldn't need any persuasion to change

That could be the crux. Your u-21 side isn't likely to offer him a run of games in the next year (by which time he'll still be only 18); if he plays only one that's his NI career over, surely?

Murfinator
12/12/2009, 5:42 PM

Agree fully, threads like this make me laugh when the time of the year comes where people start claiming random kid #14 deserves a call up because he got a couple of half-decent sub cameos for a mediocre club. :D

The squad for the next campaign should be the same squad for this campaign with minimal changes made based on form. We had an impressive campaign that didn't end with a world cup because we had to beat one of the two finalists to get there, and heck we got 1 W, 2D, 1L from those games at that which isn't half bad either. It isn't time to scrap players or any of this stan inspired "rebuilding nonsense" by calling up every randomer from the championship or premiership reserves.

Andy Reid needs to be given his chance, I couldn't give two ****s if any of the other journeymen are called up or not.

Predator
12/12/2009, 5:55 PM
Hope u are right Predator
I hope so too!

That could be the crux. Your u-21 side isn't likely to offer him a run of games in the next year (by which time he'll still be only 18); if he plays only one that's his NI career over, surely?
Yeah, I'd say Duffy's probably aware of the fact he can only change once too, which is why he doesn't appear to be 'burning his bridges', so to speak. I can't fault him for that really.

Agree fully, threads like this make me laugh when the time of the year comes where people start claiming random kid #14 deserves a call up because he got a couple of half-decent sub cameos for a mediocre club. :D

The squad for the next campaign should be the same squad for this campaign with minimal changes made based on form. We had an impressive campaign that didn't end with a world cup because we had to beat one of the two finalists to get there, and heck we got 1 W, 2D, 1L from those games at that which isn't half bad either. It isn't time to scrap players or any of this stan inspired "rebuilding nonsense" by calling up every randomer from the championship or premiership reserves.
Maybe it's not what you perceive to be the most effective strategy but building for the future should always be a question for the international side in my opinion. There are a number of very talented dual qualified young players we need to try to capitalise from and encourage to play for us, so we can increase our options for calling on different players. The more talented players available to us can't be a problem in my eyes.

Andy Reid needs to be given his chance, I couldn't give two ****s if any of the other journeymen are called up or not.I concur. I want the best players playing for us, but he likes of Carsley and that should never be considered at this stage, despite protests from the likes of Dunphy.

SkStu
12/12/2009, 8:25 PM
IQ Test Time

Predator is to Shane Duffy as _ _ _ _ _ _ is to Sean St. Ledger.

Predator
12/12/2009, 8:41 PM
IQ Test Time

Predator is to Shane Duffy as _ _ _ _ _ _ is to Sean St. Ledger.

No need for that really, as 'funny' and all as it is; I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for having an interest in footballers from Derry who have the potential to be future Ireland players. I stand by the points I made. If you care to dispute them or disagree, be my guest.

RiffRaff
13/12/2009, 7:33 PM
I'd like Duffy to declare for us but realistically, hasnt he already made his decision? If he was interested in switching and didnt want to to come out and say so himself, it would be easy for someone at his club to contact the FAI

Gather round
13/12/2009, 7:39 PM
I'd like Duffy to declare for us but realistically, hasnt he already made his decision? If he was interested in switching and didnt want to to come out and say so himself, it would be easy for someone at his club to contact the FAI

The thing is, he doesn't have to make a decision until either

a) he appears for NI in a full qualifier (which obviously can't happen until late 2010, and I think is unlikely then- he isn't 19 until January 2011, or

b) he appears for the RoI in a game at any level.

I've no idea (beyond the rumors Predator and other Derry locals and Everton fans have mentioned) what he'll do.

stiffler
13/12/2009, 7:50 PM
Hope predator is right and he plays for Ireland!

Fixer82
13/12/2009, 8:17 PM
Firstly it would be thoughts not taughts

Secondly its Foley, not Folwy

and in third wouldn't not wouldnt

& finally its Daryl Murphy...1 r in Daryl

Please tell me you were being ironic??

On topic McSheffrey is no where near good enough

ha ha touché!!
bwagner i was only having a laugh, sorry if it came across ****y:o

Wangball
13/12/2009, 9:06 PM
ha ha touché!!
bwagner i was only having a laugh, sorry if it came across ****y:o

I'm equally sorry if I came off a jerk man!!! We all know the only place for pedantry and nit picking like that is any thread discussing NI or any of that guff!

On Topic...have to admit I'm quite happy about Simon Cox possibly being added to the list for next year.

Does anyone think that the announcement that Trap would be looking to exploit the parentage rule may of only been released to help eligible players out, you knowif you build it they will come style?

Emmet7
15/12/2009, 12:33 PM
Does Simon Cox have Irish ancestry?

Saw him score the equaliser last night against QPR, took his goal very well.

Let's be honest, Robbie Keane isn't getting any younger and we need to start blooding some replacements now.

Colbert Report
15/12/2009, 1:37 PM
Does Simon Cox have Irish ancestry?

Saw him score the equaliser last night against QPR, took his goal very well.

Let's be honest, Robbie Keane isn't getting any younger and we need to start blooding some replacements now.

Not only does he qualify, but a few days ago he issued a "come and get me" plea to Trapattoni.

Deckydee
15/12/2009, 2:08 PM
Wayne rooneys little brother wants to play for ireland :D

Your laughing Ciaran, but that is indeed true :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rooney_(footballer)

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641312932

Not to mention his cousin - Tommy Amos!

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=125221&highlight=Tommy+Amos

I could never understand why Wayne choose Ging-er-land

SkStu
15/12/2009, 2:12 PM
No need for that really, as 'funny' and all as it is; I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for having an interest in footballers from Derry who have the potential to be future Ireland players. I stand by the points I made. If you care to dispute them or disagree, be my guest.

you need to calm down. It was, as you noted, a joke. Probably a bad one - theyre my speciality.

ChrisRed
17/12/2009, 9:41 AM
Not only does he qualify, but a few days ago he issued a "come and get me" plea to Trapattoni.

Yeah I seen that, he is only 22 and has scored 6 in his last 7 games for West Brom, not bad going.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/12/15/cox-hoping-for-luck-of-the-irish/?

paul_oshea
17/12/2009, 9:57 AM
Is Emmet7, in fact Ciaran?

Acornvilla
17/12/2009, 10:01 AM
Is Emmet7, in fact Ciaran?
?? what crazieness you talking about?
anyway cox deserves a chance i say give it to him we need all the quality we can the get. Ant this lad looks quality (in the championship atleast) which is more than can be said for some of out strikers