PDA

View Full Version : Derry sign first four players

Predator
10/12/2009, 5:51 PM
Derry sign up first four players (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8406521.stm)

Derry sign up first four players

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46782000/jpg/_46782029_359375.jpg James McClean had been a target for Lincoln City

Derry City have made their first four signings for next season after all the club's previous players were made free agents at the end of the season.
Brothers Shane and Patrick McEleney, Northern Ireland U21 striker James McClean and Davy McDaid have all agreed deals with the Brandywell club.
Derry were expelled from the League of Ireland by the FAI but are expected to play in the First Division next term.
Last month Stephen Kenny agreed to stay on as manager of the Candystripes.
The four players have all signed two-year deals with the club.
McClean was a recent target for Lincoln City while McDaid scored three goals for Derry in the closing games of last season.
Patrick McEleney is a Northern Ireland U21 international who has been released by Sunderland while his brother Shane made some first-team appearances for Derry in the last Premier Division campaign.
"These are good young players who have a big part to play in the future of Derry City, so we are delighted to have secured their signatures," said Kenny.
I'm very surprised that Patrick McEleney has been released by Sunderland, since he only joined them this summer. He isn't a N.Ireland U21 international either - he's a Republic U19 international, but even so he hasn't featured recently. Maybe he's been injured? I wonder what the story is. Still. Good to see McClean and McDaid stay. Talented youngsters.

Predator
11/12/2009, 1:19 PM
Only after seeing this on the other Derry thread. Search....

co. down green
12/12/2009, 5:40 PM
3 of the 4 lads are Ireland u19 internaionals.

Surprised about Patrick mceleney myself.

McDaid also said he turned down interest from hearts and a couple of other Scottish clubs to sign for Derry.

Predator
12/12/2009, 6:01 PM
Yeah, and McClean is an NI U21 international.

There's an abundance of talent in Derry that needs to be harnessed. The Derry staff will have to scour the D&D youth leagues and the D&D Saturday and Sunday morning leagues to get free talent!