PDA

View Full Version : So who's out and who's in?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

peadar1987
09/12/2009, 1:53 PM
Just to keep track of things in the one place, who's definitely out for next season, and who's signed on for another year? And for the new, or less familiar players, a bit of background, what position they play, etc.

Out:
Gary McCabe to Sligo

In:
Shane O'Connor
Shane O'Neill (Forward)
Nicky Byrne
Dylan Vickers
Dean Zambra
Dean Fletcher
Kieran Waters
Ian Tuohy
Gary Murphy
Philip Higgins
Conor Thomas (Gk)
Robert Lambert (Gk)

Rumoured:
Chris O'Connor to Bohs
Derek Foran to Shels
Dave Mulcahy to Shels

centre mid
14/12/2009, 8:18 PM
Good move for Gary McCabe, he will fit in well at Sligo.

Captain2007
14/12/2009, 8:56 PM
Outs
Foran - Released (Linked with Shels)
Pender - Released (Linked with Shels,Drogheda)
Deans - Released (Linked with Fingal)
Byrne - Released
O Connor - Bohemians (when embargo lifted)
Doyle - Released (Linked with UCD)
Mulroy - Released
Cronin - Released
Brennan - Released
Tresson - Retired
Mulcahy - Released (Linked with Shels)
Coughlan - Released
McCabe - Released (Linked with Sligo)

Riddickcule
14/12/2009, 9:33 PM
So basically, we've signed nobody ?

pineapple stu
15/12/2009, 8:49 AM
[U][B]Outs
[I]Doyle - Released (Linked with UCD)
Who.?

Captain2007
15/12/2009, 9:10 AM
Who.?

Daire Doyle one of our better players last season, very experienced played for Coventry,Kidderminister,Nuneaton,Longford, not the most skillful but great work ethic and good Pro.

centre mid
15/12/2009, 9:53 AM
Daire Doyle one of our better players last season, very experienced played for Coventry,Kidderminister,Nuneaton,Longford, not the most skillful but great work ethic and good Pro.

But a poor defender.

superfrank
15/12/2009, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't say he was one of our best players last year, he was very much in the "meh" category.

peadar1987
15/12/2009, 12:18 PM
Outs
Foran - Released (Linked with Shels)
Pender - Released (Linked with Shels,Drogheda)
Deans - Released (Linked with Fingal)
Byrne - Released
O Connor - Bohemians (when embargo lifted)
Doyle - Released (Linked with UCD)
Mulroy - Released
Cronin - Released
Brennan - Released
Tresson - Retired
Mulcahy - Released (Linked with Shels)
Coughlan - Released
McCabe - Released (Linked with Sligo)

That's essentially our entire team. Very disappointing to see. I know there have to be cutbacks, but surely we could have scraped together the money to keep at least one or two of these guys. Particularly Mulroy and Coughlan, who I though would have great futures ahead of them, and might even have drawn transfer fees at som point.

(Also, it doesn't look like I can edit my original post to keep track of everything in the one place after all! If anyone knows how to, please enlighten me!)

pineapple stu
15/12/2009, 12:19 PM
You can't edit posts more than a day old unless you're a mod, and even then only in your own forum, I think.

peadar1987
15/12/2009, 12:24 PM
You can't edit posts more than a day old unless you're a mod, and even then only in your own forum, I think.

Looks like you'll just have to make me a mod so ;) (Phase one in my diabolical plan!)

Stevo Da Gull
15/12/2009, 1:08 PM
Is Tresson's retirement official? The last survivor of our our 99 cup success and perhaps the single greatest servant the club has ever had on the pitch. 5 times POTY, and would have been LOI player of the year had he left the club. He may not have been a professional footballer in the literal sense, but he was everything you'd want in a professional footballer. Legend

Martinho II
15/12/2009, 5:36 PM
the lads ye signed in lads where did ye sign them from? I see a Gary Murphy in your list of ins is that the same Gary Murphy that played with longford town and athlone town?

peadar1987
15/12/2009, 6:03 PM
the lads ye signed in lads where did ye sign them from? I see a Gary Murphy in your list of ins is that the same Gary Murphy that played with longford town and athlone town?

Nah, it's a young fella from our U20s AFAIK

Bray Head
16/12/2009, 7:35 AM

All from our under 20's

Roo69
17/12/2009, 9:47 PM
Out:
Gary McCabe to Sligo

Confirmed now.

Green&whitearmy
19/12/2009, 12:06 PM
This is a joke....

I was talking to a few players in the club and all have told me that they have not been contacted by eddie or the club at all about contracts for next season, the only players signed are the u20 players on amateur contracts and the four lads on 2 year contracts from last year(massey, shields, kelly,webster).

Do the club want to have a good team next year, a few of the players from last year would great jobs for us in the first division????

Green&whitearmy
20/12/2009, 2:02 PM
And I just heard alot of the players would sign back with the club if they were offered contracts, the only reason the players have left is that they wanted to secure any contract with clubs...

Whats the club playing at, they need to get their heads out of their as£e's and do something now.....

Stevo Da Gull
20/12/2009, 9:26 PM
And I just heard alot of the players would sign back with the club if they were offered contracts, the only reason the players have left is that they wanted to secure any contract with clubs...

Whats the club playing at, they need to get their heads out of their as£e's and do something now.....

It's possible that with the whole Cork situation the club don't know whether to budget for first or premier division football. That said, the lack of communication, if true, is poor form.

lowflyingseagul
21/12/2009, 7:21 AM
i think its fair to say that they are hoping for the best, preparing for the worst which is a season of very low crowds with little or no away support coming to games

Hulsey
21/12/2009, 8:03 AM
Personally I'd rather see the the club bide their time and find out what division they're gonna be in rather than gamble on getting Corks Premier place, ending up not getting it, and leaving themselves in the position of having players signed to contracts they can't afford to pay. Unfortunately there's nothing the club can really do untill they know where they stand

The Fox
21/12/2009, 11:22 AM
Its all well and good to bide their time but they could sign 2 or 3 of last years most experienced players that would be an asset in either division. Some of the players are leaving for other division 1 or relegation candidates in the premier.
We do have to show some ambition without being careless!! I am not saying sing 10 or 15 players, just a few good one for a nucleus.
Pre-season should be starting ina few weeks and it sounds like we have no plan A or plan B at this stage.

peadar1987
22/12/2009, 2:34 PM
Would it be possible to sign them with a clause in their contracts that would allow the contract to be terminated by either party should the club end up playing division 1 football next season? That way we'll have a good squad if we stay up, but if we're relegated, we'll be able to cut the wage bill, and the players will be free to look for another premier club.

There's also the fact that we're never going to get a transfer fee if other clubs can just wait until the end of the season and offer a contract to our players

Hulsey
22/12/2009, 6:09 PM
Would it be possible to sign them with a clause in their contracts that would allow the contract to be terminated by either party should the club end up playing division 1 football next season? That way we'll have a good squad if we stay up, but if we're relegated, we'll be able to cut the wage bill, and the players will be free to look for another premier club.

I can't see why any player would sign a contract with that stipulation when they could spend the time looking for a new club instead to be honest.
I'd say the issue with not signing up players also has to do with the fact that with little to no income during the off season and sponsorship being harder than ever to find, maybe the club can't afford to pay players untill pre season starts?

lowflyingseagul
22/12/2009, 8:43 PM
a lot of clubs have done what bray have done and that's released most of their squads

Roo69
22/12/2009, 8:56 PM
Most of you do know that our gates are going to be down by nearly half or not just over half next season don't you. How on earth do you think we can afford to resign players on Premier Division wages ? Players who are being signed by other 1st division clubs can afford to offer a hell of a lot more than we can. As it stands we simply do not have the money to be able to offer contracts to our best players from last season

We have Shields, Massey, Webster, Kelly and O'Neill signed form last years squad. it's a decent start as they are all good young players with good experience. Most Premier teams don't even have 4 players signed yet ! 95% of players were without a club come the end of the season, so we are not the only club in this situation.

i'll say it again, we cannot afford to have players like McCabe, Coughlan or Mulcahy at the club when we are in the first division. We simply do not have the home support to be able to offer Premier Division wages while in the first division.

notever
23/12/2009, 4:37 PM
Most of you do know that our gates are going to be down by nearly half or not just over half next season don't you. How on earth do you think we can afford to resign players on Premier Division wages ? Players who are being signed by other 1st division clubs can afford to offer a hell of a lot more than we can. As it stands we simply do not have the money to be able to offer contracts to our best players from last season

We have Shields, Massey, Webster, Kelly and O'Neill signed form last years squad. it's a decent start as they are all good young players with good experience. Most Premier teams don't even have 4 players signed yet ! 95% of players were without a club come the end of the season, so we are not the only club in this situation.

i'll say it again, we cannot afford to have players like McCabe, Coughlan or Mulcahy at the club when we are in the first division. We simply do not have the home support to be able to offer Premier Division wages while in the first division.

I think there will be plenty of players available as we near the start of the season so I don't think there is any urgency.A lot of players will be looking for a Club come February/March and I expect a number of them will be expeienced players and Eddie will have the situation sussed.So I would not worry just yet ,lets relax and enjoy Christmas. Happy Christmas to all.

dublinwanderer
24/12/2009, 10:56 AM

i can see where everyone is coming from and wanting to wait etc, but i think that the most important thing for the players is to be contacted. A simple phone call to let them know the situation in the club will help a lot. if the players are offered contracts elsewhere and bray havent called them of course they are going to jump at them.

but anyway when do Bray ever do things right like this and signing players...

but we'll see, if UCD managed to get promoted with kids who knows what might happen!!!

Happy christmas everyone!!! :)

peadar1987
24/12/2009, 5:17 PM
I can't see why any player would sign a contract with that stipulation when they could spend the time looking for a new club instead to be honest.

You'd like to think there'd be a little bit of loyalty shown, if such a contract were offered. I'm not suggesting the players take the hit of first division football just to stay with Bray, or turn down more lucrative contracts, but surely it's not going to kill them to wait a month or two, to see if Bray are going to be in the Premier next season, especially if Bray have contacted them. I'm sure some sort of gentlemans' agreement could be thrashed out, at any rate.

The Fox
25/12/2009, 12:25 PM
Happy Christmas One and All!!

Hulsey
26/12/2009, 11:07 AM
You'd like to think there'd be a little bit of loyalty shown, if such a contract were offered. I'm not suggesting the players take the hit of first division football just to stay with Bray, or turn down more lucrative contracts, but surely it's not going to kill them to wait a month or two, to see if Bray are going to be in the Premier next season, especially if Bray have contacted them. I'm sure some sort of gentlemans' agreement could be thrashed out, at any rate.

I can see where your coming from, but if Bray don't know untill, say mid February, what division they're in a lot of teams would have more or less finalised their squads. This would leave any player who signed any such agreement in a much more difficult situation in regards finding another club than someone who's been available the whole time

peadar1987
26/12/2009, 1:26 PM
I can see where your coming from, but if Bray don't know untill, say mid February, what division they're in a lot of teams would have more or less finalised their squads. This would leave any player who signed any such agreement in a much more difficult situation in regards finding another club than someone who's been available the whole time

You're right, I'm just annoyed we've been relegated (twice!), annoyed we're losing all our best players, annoyed that it looks like some of the clubs above us are going to get away with breaking the rules, and annoyed the FAI are taking so long to sort out the situation.

Hulsey
27/12/2009, 6:56 PM
You're right, I'm just annoyed we've been relegated (twice!), annoyed we're losing all our best players, annoyed that it looks like some of the clubs above us are going to get away with breaking the rules, and annoyed the FAI are taking so long to sort out the situation.

Feel the exact same, although at least Karma got to Cork with them getting stuck with Roddy :D

Martinho II
29/12/2009, 6:33 PM
I saw from a poster on our forum that we are close to signing Chris Deans,Gareth Coughlin and Gary Cronin.. Whats yer opinions on these lads??

Stevo Da Gull
30/12/2009, 12:45 AM
I saw from a poster on our forum that we are close to signing Chris Deans,Gareth Coughlin and Gary Cronin.. Whats yer opinions on these lads??

In my opinion, they're all up to Premier Division football, so that would be a tremendous coup for any side in the First Division.

Hulsey
30/12/2009, 1:27 AM

Chris Deans is a good solid defender, dependable for the most part but prone to the odd loss of the head and lack of concentration. More than capable of playing first division football and would be a great signing for you's.
Gareth Coughlan is a very promising young player who's not afraid to take on defenders, needs to work on his final product (both final ball and shooting) but yet again would be a good signing.
Gary Cronin was solid enough for us last season, but to be honest wasn't up to much when we signed him half way through this season and if your looking to challenge for promotion may not be up to the task

Roo69
30/12/2009, 12:04 PM

I'd be horrified if you could afford them and we couldn't :mad:

GREAT signings for any club in the first division.

peadar1987
30/12/2009, 7:27 PM
I'd be horrified if you could afford them and we couldn't :mad:

GREAT signings for any club in the first division.

I completely agree.

No disrespect to Longford, but a club like Bray, with our location, should be able to outbid them for players fairly easily, especially when those players are based in South Dublin/North Wickla anyway.

Martinho II
31/12/2009, 1:23 PM
I completely agree.

No disrespect to Longford, but a club like Bray, with our location, should be able to outbid them for players fairly easily, especially when those players are based in South Dublin/North Wickla anyway.

I take your point on it Peadar1987 but from I hear TC wants them training in Dublin so if thats the case location wouldnt matter at all. I could be wrong on it though..

peadar1987
31/12/2009, 1:52 PM
I take your point on it Peadar1987 but from I hear TC wants them training in Dublin so if thats the case location wouldnt matter at all. I could be wrong on it though..

Right so. Still though, county Longford has a population of what, 40,000? I'd say you'd get that many between Bray and Greystones, before you even start to think about the other towns in North Wicklow, and the huge chunk of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown for which Bray is the local club. Considering that, Bray should be getting far higher attendances than Longford, and consequently, if both clubs were managing their finances properly, should be able to offer far better wages.

The fact that clubs who have none of the natural advantages that Bray do are able to compete with us financially is a sad reflection on Bray Wanderers.

notever
31/12/2009, 4:36 PM

If this were true it would cheer me up a lot and give a great start to the New Year.
Happy New Year to all Bray fans and football fans everywhere-----:)

Hulsey
01/01/2010, 8:20 PM
Right so. Still though, county Longford has a population of what, 40,000? I'd say you'd get that many between Bray and Greystones, before you even start to think about the other towns in North Wicklow, and the huge chunk of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown for which Bray is the local club. Considering that, Bray should be getting far higher attendances than Longford, and consequently, if both clubs were managing their finances properly, should be able to offer far better wages.

The fact that clubs who have none of the natural advantages that Bray do are able to compete with us financially is a sad reflection on Bray Wanderers.

Unfortunatly the reality is that far too many people would rather watch Watford v Scunthorpe on sky in the pub then go see their local team play live

peadar1987
04/01/2010, 12:37 PM
Unfortunatly the reality is that far too many people would rather watch Watford v Scunthorpe on sky in the pub then go see their local team play live

Definitely, but it's not like they don't have the same problems in Longford.

Roo69
05/01/2010, 10:44 AM
Coughlan and Pender confirmed signings for St. Pats.

So depressing seeing the squad being torn apart like this.

Grasshopper 99
05/01/2010, 12:15 PM
So pats have how many former bray players now? Coughlan, Pender, Sinnot, Rogers, Cawley and Dempsey, anybody name anymore, not a bad team with just those players.

Bray Head
05/01/2010, 12:45 PM
So pats have how many former bray players now? Coughlan, Pender, Sinnot, Rogers, Cawley and Dempsey, anybody name anymore, not a bad team with just those players.

Cawley has joined Dundalk

Grasshopper 99
05/01/2010, 1:39 PM
Cawley has joined Dundalk

sorry my mistake was going ny pats website, but i see it is up on the dundalk one.

Captain2007
05/01/2010, 4:05 PM

Dempsey gone to Darlington....

bluewhitearmy
06/01/2010, 12:11 AM
Any names being rumoured to come in for ye?

Roo69
06/01/2010, 2:29 PM
Any names being rumoured to come in for ye?

We won't be making any "big name" signings, our squad will be mostly last seasons A championship squad with possibly a few players resigning