PDA

View Full Version : So who's out and who's in?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Riddickcule
07/01/2010, 6:02 PM
Absolutly no experience in our squad this year,think Eddies gonna give Tresso a lil' nudge?

We are fudged if we do end up back in the PD

Dillonman
07/01/2010, 9:49 PM
Not too sure if nay of ye came across this lads:

http://www.loi.ie/index.php/clubs/premier-division/bray-wanderers/latest-news/1348-bray-busy-in-transfer-market

Charlie Darwin
07/01/2010, 11:26 PM
So pats have how many former bray players now? Coughlan, Pender, Sinnot, Rogers, Cawley and Dempsey, anybody name anymore, not a bad team with just those players.
Paul Byrne might be on his way too, my sources tell me.

lowflyingseagul
08/01/2010, 10:10 AM
Not too sure if nay of ye came across this lads:

http://www.loi.ie/index.php/clubs/premier-division/bray-wanderers/latest-news/1348-bray-busy-in-transfer-market

anyone know who these people are?

Roo69
08/01/2010, 12:52 PM
That's a nothing story really...

All players with our U20s and A team from last season from what i can see. The only one i don't recognise is Guy King-Hall.

Pre-Season training starts next week, it will be very interesting to see who turns up, hear a little roumer that former player Mick Roche is starting pre season with us.

Bray Head
08/01/2010, 1:40 PM

All players with our U20s and A team from last season from what i can see. The only one i don't recognise is Guy King-Hall.

Pre-Season training starts next week, it will be very interesting to see who turns up, hear a little roumer that former player Mick Roche is starting pre season with us.

Guy King-Hall was with the under 20's last season as well.

KK77
08/01/2010, 2:54 PM

Good lord did Eddie not dumped this fella out of the club as soon as he got the job?? Shows how bad things have got that he wants to bring this shaper back to the club.

Grasshopper 99
08/01/2010, 11:23 PM

Good lord did Eddie not dumped this fella out of the club as soon as he got the job?? Shows how bad things have got that he wants to bring this shaper back to the club.

Mick Roche will not be back for a few years at least, he is presently in Florida training to be a pilot.

superfrank
09/01/2010, 1:39 AM
How long has been there?

It only takes a year and a half to train as a pilot and there's no jobs in that industry at the mo.

Roo69
09/01/2010, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=Rafa B;1302527]

Mick Roche will not be back for a few years at least, he is presently in Florida training to be a pilot.

Wrong.

Mick qualified and is back living in Bray, hence why he is starting pre season with us.

Seagull
09/01/2010, 5:19 PM

Mick Roche, can't place the name. Is he back as a player or replacing Osam and McKeever as coaching staff?

Roo69
10/01/2010, 5:16 PM
[QUOTE=Rafa B;1302527]

Mick Roche, can't place the name. Is he back as a player or replacing Osam and McKeever as coaching staff?

A Player. He was the Cpt, of our U20 side about 5 years ago when we won the U21s cup against Pats on Penos. Moved onto Kildare after that i think..

superfrank
10/01/2010, 5:27 PM
He played up North for Loughgall as well, afaik.

Roo69
12/01/2010, 7:24 PM
I think Derek Foran has signed for Sligo Rovers, all the best to him, top lad and a top player.

Martinho II
13/01/2010, 10:57 AM
its up on our website that Derek Tyrell and Chris Deans have signed for us.. Any chance of a lowdown on these players??

http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=2fe420b6-d4be-4771-84ed-2cf727e244a6

Captain2007
13/01/2010, 12:37 PM
its up on our website that Derek Tyrell and Chris Deans have signed for us.. Any chance of a lowdown on these players??

http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=2fe420b6-d4be-4771-84ed-2cf727e244a6

Chris is a solid no nonsense experienced CB,good tackler and reads the game well, he will be 100% committed, only problem would be his lack of pace and the odd red card.....seen Derek a few years back a decent LW with pace, a little windy in the tackle, both would do a job in Div 1.

Hulsey
13/01/2010, 4:15 PM
Chris is a solid no nonsense experienced CB,good tackler and reads the game well, he will be 100% committed, only problem would be his lack of pace and the odd red card.....seen Derek a few years back a decent LW with pace, a little windy in the tackle, both would do a job in Div 1.

Your thinking of David Tyrell. Derek Tyrell is a young central defender who we had three years ago and never really got a look in with the first team. Looked fairly solid anytime I saw him in pre-season or for the reserve team. Was at fingal after he left us maybe one of the fingal boys could give a better description

Captain2007
13/01/2010, 5:32 PM
Your thinking of David Tyrell. Derek Tyrell is a young central defender who we had three years ago and never really got a look in with the first team. Looked fairly solid anytime I saw him in pre-season or for the reserve team. Was at fingal after he left us maybe one of the fingal boys could give a better description

Your spot on Hulsey I was thinking of David thanks for the correction.

The Fox
13/01/2010, 8:45 PM
It seems that our only news these days is players leaving. Its getting depressing at this stage and we could well be whipping boys in the league this year. Eddie said in the press that he was hoping to persuade Colm Tresson to sign for another year - The team will need much more of a spine than Colm Tresson at 40 can bring.
Why have a general manager on the pay-roll if they are not bringing in enough revenue to fund a couple of signings. I cannot understand why all other clubs are signing players and we arent. We are been beaten by Longford and Shelborne for signatures - can we not raise enough sponsorship to be competitive in division 1. Are Rehab bingo still on board? All other clubs have surely had to make cut backs. Are things not right behind the scenes??

Captain2007
13/01/2010, 8:53 PM
First Competitive Fixture announced v Athlone LSC (play before 28th Feb)

naoise kennedy
14/01/2010, 9:25 AM
another one leaves,, paul byrne signs for pats..

peadar1987
14/01/2010, 1:36 PM

This is bad. I do't know much about the U20 lads who have signed, but presumably they're not as good as last year's first team, seeing as they never played. We need players with some experience, or else we're going to get destroyed.

Roo69
14/01/2010, 3:15 PM

Best news all pre season for us, delighted to have him off the pay roll.

Roo69
14/01/2010, 3:22 PM
It seems that our only news these days is players leaving. Its getting depressing at this stage and we could well be whipping boys in the league this year. Eddie said in the press that he was hoping to persuade Colm Tresson to sign for another year - The team will need much more of a spine than Colm Tresson at 40 can bring.
Why have a general manager on the pay-roll if they are not bringing in enough revenue to fund a couple of signings. I cannot understand why all other clubs are signing players and we arent. We are been beaten by Longford and Shelborne for signatures - can we not raise enough sponsorship to be competitive in division 1. Are Rehab bingo still on board? All other clubs have surely had to make cut backs. Are things not right behind the scenes??

I'm just taking from reading your post you honestly don't know how a football club is run or how much effort it takes on the administration side of things to allow a football compete in the LOI? Now i'm not having ago at you, that's just how i see it from reading your post.

Club licencising is an absolutely massive job and takes months to complete, without a licence a club is not aloud take part in the League. If the general manager goes, who does this ? how do we take part in the LOI ?

Sponsorship is right down across the League, some sponsors have even pulled half way through a contract, this will be only worse in the 2010 season for every club and not just Bray.

Seagull
14/01/2010, 3:58 PM
I'm just taking from reading your post you honestly don't know how a football club is run or how much effort it takes on the administration side of things to allow a football compete in the LOI? Now i'm not having ago at you, that's just how i see it from reading your post.

Club licencising is an absolutely massive job and takes months to complete, without a licence a club is not aloud take part in the League. If the general manager goes, who does this ? how do we take part in the LOI ?

Sponsorship is right down across the League, some sponsors have even pulled half way through a contract, this will be only worse in the 2010 season for every club and not just Bray.

Well said Roo- and don't forget that the players leaving are the ones who got us relegated last season! Let's look forward to a fresh start with a young, commited squad.

notever
14/01/2010, 7:16 PM
Well said Roo- and don't forget that the players leaving are the ones who got us relegated last season! Let's look forward to a fresh start with a young, commited squad.

Yes they were the players who got us relegated but still there were some I would like to have seen with us again this season We the supporters can do nothing about who is leaving or coming, let's just look forward to the new season and hope it will be a good one.Let's be positive for now at least.

notever
14/01/2010, 7:23 PM
[QUOTE=Grasshopper 99;1302967]

Wrong.

Mick qualified and is back living in Bray, hence why he is starting pre season with us.

Couldn't resist it.......having qualified this means he will be flying at the start of the season.......

The Fox
14/01/2010, 10:13 PM

If sponsorship is down everywhere, how are all the other clubs in the country able to sign experienced players and we arent??
Club licencing may be a massive job, taking months, but there are 12 months in a year and all other clubs general managers have to complete those same forms and meet criteria - if they are signing players they must be raising more revenue than us. (and im not talking about the big 5 or 6 clubs - what about the other 15)
We could easily get into a vicious downward spiral - no investment in the team could mean poor on the park progress, which is a less attractive product and hence less likely to be sponsored and more importantly less likely to attract a crowd.

Roo69
14/01/2010, 10:25 PM
If sponsorship is down everywhere, how are all the other clubs in the country able to sign experienced players and we arent??
Club licencing may be a massive job, taking months, but there are 12 months in a year and all other clubs general managers have to complete those same forms and meet criteria - if they are signing players they must be raising more revenue than us. (and im not talking about the big 5 or 6 clubs - what about the other 15)
We could easily get into a vicious downward spiral - no investment in the team could mean poor on the park progress, which is a less attractive product and hence less likely to be sponsored and more importantly less likely to attract a crowd.

That's a good question, i'd like to know how the likes of Longford are bringing in the likes of Chris Deans or Waterford the likes of Liam Kearney. It's certianly via the gates recipits they bring in. I would reckon, pretty much like most clubs they are bringing in big name players and paying biggish wages on the hope that are the successful, just like what most clubs in the League do.

Pretty much every other club in the league have different groups and committiees set up to help out with various takes in helping run the club. Simply, the vast vast majority of Wanderers fans do not want to help out with stuff like this. I have first hand experience of this. The complete running of the club is pretty much left to 2 men at present, It is simply not enough and without either of them and the work they have done over the past 5 or so years then Bray Wanderers would have gone the way of Kildare County, Dublin City or Kilkenny City.

"We could easily get into a vicious downward spiral - no investment in the team could mean poor on the park progress, which is a less attractive product and hence less likely to be sponsored and more importantly less likely to attract a crowd."

The people of Bray town have already aloud this to happen, as a club we have punched well above our weight over the past number of seasons on the budgets that we have had to work on. Pretty much every season that we have been in the Premier we have had the smallest budget. I personally think the club should be proud of how we have preformed both on and off the pitch. As mentioned above, the people of Bray have let it get to this stage, the majority of them have no interest in coming along and supporting us, but i'd reckon if the club came aout and say they were folding you would have thousands out protesting.

KK77
15/01/2010, 11:49 AM
That's a good question, i'd like to know how the likes of Longford are bringing in the likes of Chris Deans or Waterford the likes of Liam Kearney. It's certianly via the gates recipits they bring in. I would reckon, pretty much like most clubs they are bringing in big name players and paying biggish wages on the hope that are the successful, just like what most clubs in the League do.

Pretty much every other club in the league have different groups and committiees set up to help out with various takes in helping run the club. Simply, the vast vast majority of Wanderers fans do not want to help out with stuff like this. I have first hand experience of this. The complete running of the club is pretty much left to 2 men at present, It is simply not enough and without either of them and the work they have done over the past 5 or so years then Bray Wanderers would have gone the way of Kildare County, Dublin City or Kilkenny City.

"We could easily get into a vicious downward spiral - no investment in the team could mean poor on the park progress, which is a less attractive product and hence less likely to be sponsored and more importantly less likely to attract a crowd."

The people of Bray town have already aloud this to happen, as a club we have punched well above our weight over the past number of seasons on the budgets that we have had to work on. Pretty much every season that we have been in the Premier we have had the smallest budget. I personally think the club should be proud of how we have preformed both on and off the pitch. As mentioned above, the people of Bray have let it get to this stage, the majority of them have no interest in coming along and supporting us, but i'd reckon if the club came aout and say they were folding you would have thousands out protesting.

The people of Bray might have more to do with their money than go and watch Bray. Also throw in the fact the times we live in. Crowds have always been small enough in Bray so look closer to home than to just blame the people of Bray. Maybe some think they might get more for their money doing something other than watch Bray. Can remember around 2001 when times were better and we had a great sponsorship deal (with who i just can't remember at the moment) and instead of using the money wisely some of it was spent on paying for the players to stay in Druids Glen the night before the Bohs FAI Cup game. What a waste of money i thought. Lets be honest paying hard earned cash to pay wages for some of the shapers that have played for the club no way i have heard many say and i couldn't argue with them.

KK77
15/01/2010, 11:53 AM
Will Robbie Doyle be resigning for us does anyone know? Heard he's been let go from Sporting Fingal by Liam Buckley.

Roo69
15/01/2010, 12:35 PM
The people of Bray might have more to do with their money than go and watch Bray. Also throw in the fact the times we live in. Crowds have always been small enough in Bray so look closer to home than to just blame the people of Bray. Maybe some think they might get more for their money doing something other than watch Bray. Can remember around 2001 when times were better and we had a great sponsorship deal (with who i just can't remember at the moment) and instead of using the money wisely some of it was spent on paying for the players to stay in Druids Glen the night before the Bohs FAI Cup game. What a waste of money i thought. Lets be honest paying hard earned cash to pay wages for some of the shapers that have played for the club no way i have heard many say and i couldn't argue with them.

2 examples of towns similar to Bray would be Sligo and Dundalk. Both teams are very similar in stature and size in terms of population to Bray, yet both clubs have always had larger crowds than Bray on a consistent basis, Even when Bray were in the Premier and Dundalk in the first they still got bigger crowds than Bray. So what’s the difference between people from Bray and people from Sligo or Dundalk? Why do people from these towns get out and support their local club and people from Bray don’t? On average I reckon the amount of people who are from Bray or the areas close by for each home game going to our games would be less than 700, the rest would be made up of away fans. Bray has a population of about 40,000, the rest of Wicklow must be 100,000? Then the likes of Shankill, Dun Laoghaire etc must be about 250,000? Gives a huge potential fan base of people who support a football team, but as with most people in this country they are only interested in the glamour of the game and world stars, that’s just not Bray, its all over the country. But, for a town of our size and a club of our stature and comparing us to similar size clubs around the country we are much less supported. In my opinion the people of Bray, most of them are not interested in seeing the club grow or be successful. As you said people see better value for their money elsewhere such as pubs, nightclubs, shopping and going over to watch the team they support in the UK or further afield. To me it doesn’t really have anything to do with the times we are in, it has been like that for years.

It is not just Bray Wanderers that the people of Bray don’t get behind and support. Bray Emmets, one of the top 6 or so GAA clubs in the county get very little local support, even events like the summerfest when big name bands are playing don’t get involved enough.

“Lets be honest paying hard earned cash to pay wages for some of the shapers that have played for the club no way I have heard many say and I couldn't argue with them”

That statement really says it for me and the mentality and small town attitude that a lot of people in Bray would hold. Because they don’t like the look of a player or because they have heard a story about them they couldn’t be arsed but on the same hand they would give money to their team in the UK in the form of jerseys, tickets etc even though players are doing the very same if not worse in most cases. Tell me why they would support a foreign shaper and not a local shaper?

That’s just the way a lot of people in this country are, Bray especially! I put it down to a touch of jealousy and ignorance.

And as far as I know Robbie Doyle has been talking with 2 clubs, one from the Premier and one from the First, who are not Bray.

KK77
15/01/2010, 4:11 PM
2 examples of towns similar to Bray would be Sligo and Dundalk. Both teams are very similar in stature and size in terms of population to Bray, yet both clubs have always had larger crowds than Bray on a consistent basis, Even when Bray were in the Premier and Dundalk in the first they still got bigger crowds than Bray. So what’s the difference between people from Bray and people from Sligo or Dundalk? Why do people from these towns get out and support their local club and people from Bray don’t? On average I reckon the amount of people who are from Bray or the areas close by for each home game going to our games would be less than 700, the rest would be made up of away fans. Bray has a population of about 40,000, the rest of Wicklow must be 100,000? Then the likes of Shankill, Dun Laoghaire etc must be about 250,000? Gives a huge potential fan base of people who support a football team, but as with most people in this country they are only interested in the glamour of the game and world stars, that’s just not Bray, its all over the country. But, for a town of our size and a club of our stature and comparing us to similar size clubs around the country we are much less supported. In my opinion the people of Bray, most of them are not interested in seeing the club grow or be successful. As you said people see better value for their money elsewhere such as pubs, nightclubs, shopping and going over to watch the team they support in the UK or further afield. To me it doesn’t really have anything to do with the times we are in, it has been like that for years.

It is not just Bray Wanderers that the people of Bray don’t get behind and support. Bray Emmets, one of the top 6 or so GAA clubs in the county get very little local support, even events like the summerfest when big name bands are playing don’t get involved enough.

“Lets be honest paying hard earned cash to pay wages for some of the shapers that have played for the club no way I have heard many say and I couldn't argue with them”

That statement really says it for me and the mentality and small town attitude that a lot of people in Bray would hold. Because they don’t like the look of a player or because they have heard a story about them they couldn’t be arsed but on the same hand they would give money to their team in the UK in the form of jerseys, tickets etc even though players are doing the very same if not worse in most cases. Tell me why they would support a foreign shaper and not a local shaper?
That’s just the way a lot of people in this country are, Bray especially! I put it down to a touch of jealousy and ignorance.

And as far as I know Robbie Doyle has been talking with 2 clubs, one from the Premier and one from the First, who are not Bray.

Better value for money more quality?? Ronaldo or a LOI shaper?

Thanks for the info on Robbie Doyle.

peadar1987
15/01/2010, 6:12 PM
Better value for money more quality?? Ronaldo or a LOI shaper.

The LOI shaper any day of the week! I hate that guy! And I think it's easy for kids to get caught up in the glamour of the big teams and fancy players, I am ashamed to say that I was a Man U "supporter" until I was about 12, when my dad first took me to see his local team, Stoke, and I was hooked. There's no excuse for anyone over the age of 14 to be a rabid supporter of a team they have no connection with (But that's a rant on a completely different, very tired topic!)

Bray has a population of about 40,000, the rest of Wicklow must be 100,000? Then the likes of Shankill, Dun Laoghaire etc must be about 250,000?

Actually, when I was very bored, I pulled up the figures from the last census, and worked out the potential catchment areas for the LOI. If you're interested:

The ones in italics are the largest areas without an LOI team. I worked it out taking any decent sized towns within about 15 or 20 miles, without another LOI club closer.

Cork: 209 000
Shams: 199 000
UCD: 175 000
Bohs: 165 000
Pat's: 164 000
Fingal: 153 000
Galway: 145 000 (Excluding Salthill and Mervue)
Derry: 134 000
Shels: 125 000
Bray: 122 000
Limerick: 112 000
Waterford: 99 000
Kildare: 99 000
Navan: 92000
Tralee: 90 000
Drogheda: 85 000
Castlebar: 81 000
Sligo: 70 000
Dundalk: 60 000
Wexford: 60 000
Cobh: 59 000
Harps: 57 000
Portlaoise: 55 000
Kilkenny: 54 000
Monaghan: 50 000
Athlone: 43 000
Mullingar: 43 000
Tullamore: 43 000
Carlow: 43 000
Mallow/Mitchelstown: 37 000
Longford: 35 000

lowflyingseagul
15/01/2010, 7:01 PM
really bored :)

peadar1987
15/01/2010, 7:17 PM
really bored :)

You have no idea mate! :D

KR's Post
15/01/2010, 7:43 PM
Anto is right. Alot of these clubs are signing players, paying big wages hoping to be succesful. Bray did it in 2001. We had possibly the best squad in the league. Tresson, Gormley, Tarzan, Jayo, Paul Keegan, Barry o connor, Matt britton, Stephen fox, Gifford, John Walsh, Thomas Morgan, Davy williamson, Wesley, Jody Lynch, Pip to name but a few. I'm sure they were all on fairly good wages and they only finished 4th! Albeit only 12 or so points behind Boh's, it still wasn't good enough even for a european spot. It does show you though that a Succesful team brings in crowds. The last game we needed to beat pats and hope shels beat cork. We beat pats in front of over 4000 fans at carlisle but cork beat shels unfortunately. But 4000, now 2k was pats i presume but what a crowd. Show's the potential. Bray should have way more fans, i was always frustrated seeing sweet fa in the carlisle and us being outnumbered by opposition fans but the thing that really got me was this...... I had mates that used to slag me for going to Bray matches, that just sums things up. I had mates also that used to ask me how bray got on, but i would say, why don't ya go yourself next week and find out and they'd laugh in my face. Sums the whole town up. There is potential there but attitudes need to change big time!

tippex
15/01/2010, 8:02 PM
Guys this has been a much discussed topic and the only consensus that can really be agreed on is that more people need to get involved with the club.
There seems to be a general malaise about the town when it comes to everything. People moan but will not get off their arses to do anything about it (I'm not innocent when it comes to this).

We can all argue and disagree about different aspects of how things are being done and get nowhere.

But there is a group of guys who are very passionate about the club and helping it move forward in a way that hasnt happened before and it is everyones opportunity now to help make the club better and get it in a position over the next few years where the town are excited about the club and the league.

So lets all pull together to the common goal of making the club a better club, bringing the buzz back into the town about the club and making sure that in the future there is a club there for us to support.

CF1989
16/01/2010, 3:00 AM
off topic but not worth starting a thread over......

heard we might be playing ye in a friendly on 6th of Feb, anyone hear anything?

Stevo Da Gull
16/01/2010, 10:49 AM
I'd say that the issue of attendances in the LOI is an issue of national importance. It sums up the attitude of the common man in this country not just in regards to supporting local football, but with regards to social responsibility/conscience, sense of community and so forth. The attitude to everything is 'what's in it for me, right now'. It's a short sighted view with no thought for what could be achieved with a bit of effort, and certainly no thought of 'what can I give to my country/community'.

The sad thing is, the number of people supporting the league haven't been able to make a huge difference to the game down the years. Most of us who put our time and money into supporting our teams, aren't seeing progress. Instead we are basically putting our time and money into simply keeping our clubs alive. So it's very easy to become disheartened and think, what's the point?

The big question is how we change things.. and right now I just want to eat breakfast. But a few suggestions which are good in theory include:

Greater fan involvement in how clubs are run: If people feel like they have a say/control then they're more likely to take an interest.
Bray have tried to get more fan involvement, but with mixed results, at best.

GAA/Rubgy style adverstising: I started following Rugby a lot more while I was away. One of the first things that I saw when I got back to Dublin were the Leinster rugby 'Blue Magic' ad boards, and they are brilliant. The problem is having the money to advertise, which the league doesn't.

Grass roots football: People might be more likely to support Bray Wanderers, if they played for Bray Wdrs under 8's, 12's etc or if as adults they play for a Bray Wanderers amateur team. To put this system in place you either need a lot of money, or a fair bit of help from other areas of the community. Again, neither is in plentiful supply. But I do think that this area is crucial and would be the number 1 priority for me, if this didn't establish a sense of pride in your club - I don't know what would. Even for those who didn't play, there would be so many ways to be involved with the various teams, and everyone would know someone who represents Bray (or their local LOI team) at some level.

Anyhow, breakfast time.

Riddickcule
17/01/2010, 11:15 PM
But there is a group of guys who are very passionate about the club and helping it move forward in a way that hasnt happened before and it is everyones opportunity now to help make the club better and get it in a position over the next few years where the town are excited about the club and the league.

So lets all pull together to the common goal of making the club a better club, bringing the buzz back into the town about the club and making sure that in the future there is a club there for us to support.
Yes and how exactly can we help bring the club forward?
See we need to know what the plans are before we can get involved !

The basic, bottom line problem in the Loi is money, the lack of it.

Now i feel this needs to be solved from the top, thats what the Fai should be doing right now, pumping far more money into the system, but they're not doing that.
Thats where Platinum One came in, they were commited to creating a new league, a fresh start for our game.And we shot them down. :confused:

Sure Bray wern't going to be involved, but for the sake of the whole game i want them to run things.
We say clubs are being mismanaged, true but its a very few of the whole league, and in general its always bacause of the actions of a few that drag this league down.(eg. Coughlan)
But most clubs are stable(incl. us), well managed and can thrive if there is more time and energy and cash put into the system, which i feel Platinum One gave us that chance.

thedoyler
18/01/2010, 4:11 PM
Just flicking through the comments here and I don't think this reason has been mentioned with regard to the attendances. Unfortunately with its close proximity to Dublin, Bray is obviously a commuter town where Dubs and others from around the country have settled because they cannot afford to live any closer. These people are not native to the area and have passions for their own clubs and pass these interests on to their children. In my experience having lived in Bray for four decades now you are far more likely to encounter a passionate native in a Sligo or a Waterford than Bray unfortunately. This in no way a criticism of the people in Bray but just a fact that if they aren't from Bray originally they have no obligation to follow the Wanderers. If I moved to town for work would I support Pats/Bohs? No.

peadar1987
18/01/2010, 5:39 PM
Just flicking through the comments here and I don't think this reason has been mentioned with regard to the attendances. Unfortunately with its close proximity to Dublin, Bray is obviously a commuter town where Dubs and others from around the country have settled because they cannot afford to live any closer. These people are not native to the area and have passions for their own clubs and pass these interests on to their children. In my experience having lived in Bray for four decades now you are far more likely to encounter a passionate native in a Sligo or a Waterford than Bray unfortunately. This in no way a criticism of the people in Bray but just a fact that if they aren't from Bray originally they have no obligation to follow the Wanderers. If I moved to town for work would I support Pats/Bohs? No.

Good point, but there are people who will. I still count myself a Bray supporter, but since moving to Edinburgh, I've been going to a few Hibs games. Likewise, my dad still considers himself a Stoke supporter (as do I), but he still goes down to the Carlisle on a regular basis.

Stevo Da Gull
19/01/2010, 7:28 AM
If a Sligo fan, for example, moved to Bray, I'd expect them to go to Bray matches to keep in touch with the league. The non-natives who don't go probably wouldn't go to any league game, which is the case with the majority of the population. Of course, fans from Dublin teams have easy access to their own clubs via the dart/bus, so you're right in that regard thedoyler.

Roo69
20/01/2010, 12:13 PM
David Tyrrel and Franco training with us at present with a view to signing so i've heard.

Hulsey
20/01/2010, 1:59 PM
David Tyrrel and Franco training with us at present with a view to signing so i've heard.

Wouldn't be two bad signings for the first division imo. If Eddie actually plays Franco I believe he will score goals for us.

peadar1987
20/01/2010, 9:25 PM
Wouldn't be two bad signings for the first division imo. If Eddie actually plays Franco I believe he will score goals for us.

He couldn't do a worse job than this season's strike force. Bags of talent there, but they just looked too lightweight, and always got muscled off the ball in promising positions.

Riddickcule
22/01/2010, 5:47 PM
If a Sligo fan, for example, moved to Bray, I'd expect them to go to Bray matches to keep in touch with the league. The non-natives who don't go probably wouldn't go to any league game, which is the case with the majority of the population. Of course, fans from Dublin teams have easy access to their own clubs via the dart/bus, so you're right in that regard thedoyler.
Well thats what i'd do like say i moved down to Cark i'd probably end up heading down to the Cross every second week or else i'd be lost without football :eek:

notever
22/01/2010, 8:15 PM

I was born and reared in Bray and am a mad Bray fan but I am ashamed to say that Bray people never really supported anything in the Towm so it is a lot to ask them to support Bray Wanderers no matter who played for them shapers or otherwise. They will find excusesfor not supporting the boys in green, its sad but true and I cannot see that changing we will just have to carry on with the die hards..........

Riddickcule
23/01/2010, 4:11 PM
There can be change, nothing is impossible.