PDA

View Full Version : Shopping on St. Stephen's Day

Ringo
08/12/2009, 6:41 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2009/1208/1224260292647.html

I still think that the only paid work on Christmas Day and St Stephen’s Day should be absolutely necessary work.

It looks like most of the major shops in Dublin will be open on St Stephen's Day. It seems sad that its come to this now. Shop workers work very hard coming up to Christmas , some working seven days a week & deserve the two days off.

Macy
08/12/2009, 7:26 AM
Once it isn't compulsory for workers to work, and they get overtime if they do, I don't see the problem to be honest. Plenty of Spars/ Convenience shops will be open Christmas Day as well.

Newryrep
08/12/2009, 9:28 AM
Was always a big shopping day in the UK, the usually get the idiots queing from Xmas night to get a £5 TV/holiday etc deal of the year - couldnt really understand it myself. the last thing I would want to do on St Stephans day is shop. 2 days off for retailers/shopping centres wouldnt kill them, the way some are shopping up here you would thing the shops would be closed for a month as opposed to a day (xmas day)

dahamsta
08/12/2009, 9:59 AM
Once it isn't compulsory for workers to work, and they get overtime if they do, I don't see the problem to be honest.It's never as simple as that Macy though. There's real compulsory and ****-off-the-owner/manager compulsory.

brendy_éire
08/12/2009, 12:04 PM
We've had it up here for years.

Don't really see the problem tbh. You'd be surprised at the amount of people, mostly women mind, who really look forward to the Stephen's Day shopping.

It gets a bit ridiculous though when shops are opening at 6 or 7, with queues hours beforehand, and bouncers on the doors only letting so many people in at one time.

And I'd be pretty sure almost all staff working would be on double time.

Dodge
08/12/2009, 5:41 PM

and yet you won't open before 1 on sundays...

Ringo
08/12/2009, 9:48 PM

Don't really see the problem tbh. You'd be surprised at the amount of people, mostly women mind, who really look forward to the Stephen's Day shopping.

It gets a bit ridiculous though when shops are opening at 6 or 7, with queues hours beforehand, and bouncers on the doors only letting so many people in at one time.

And I'd be pretty sure almost all staff working would be on double time.

Boxing day is different;). The Sunday thing is really annoying:rolleyes:

jebus
08/12/2009, 10:07 PM
I knew people who were glad to get to work on Stephen's Day to be honest, felt really trapped at home on Christmas Day

Not me though, Stephen's Day is one of the better drinking days

twoenz
09/12/2009, 8:21 AM
I work for a Southern based company in the North, and the centre we're based in is trying to get us to open on Boxing Day. I always said that we're aimed at Southern shoppers, and it's traditionally not a day for shopping in Ireland.

Gonna have to keep schtum now!

Aberdonian Stu
09/12/2009, 10:57 AM
While I have no problem with shopping on Stephen's day I've never seen how people have the appetite. Christmas day can be fierce tiring so the last place I'd want to be is in the mess of a shopping spree.

brendy_éire
10/12/2009, 11:46 AM
and yet you won't open before 1 on sundays...

Don't get me started.

Ringo
10/12/2009, 12:29 PM
While I have no problem with shopping on Stephen's day I've never seen how people have the appetite. Christmas day can be fierce tiring so the last place I'd want to be is in the mess of a shopping spree.
Its not about people wanting to shop, its about people being made to work. Most office people, factories etc get the best part of two weeks off. At least give retail workers a couple of days off.

Dodge
10/12/2009, 8:26 PM
Most office people, factories etc get the best part of two weeks off. .

Seeing as its fairly in the news at the minute. Civil servants gets Christmas Day, St STephen's Day, New Years Day and 1 other day off.

holidaysong
10/12/2009, 9:18 PM
I volunteered to work Christmas Day and will get more for working that one day than I would for a whole week.. I don't see the problem if it's done on a voluntary basis and people are payed enough to make it worth their while.

dahamsta
10/12/2009, 10:33 PM
I don't think anyone - bar the bible thumpers, obviously has a problem with that if that's the case. The problem is, that'll become the case.

Dodge
11/12/2009, 3:49 AM
BTW my sister used to work in a hotel and din't get any sort of special rate of pay. She got a "taxi allowance" but that barely covered the actual cost of getting to and from work

ifk101
11/12/2009, 6:58 AM
Its not about people wanting to shop, its about people being made to work. Most office people, factories etc get the best part of two weeks off. At least give retail workers a couple of days off.

Don't forget the publicians? Two days holiday every year and even on those days there's people knocking on their doors looking for a pint. I think we should close down the pubs for 2 weeks so they get a break like everyone else. ;) And don't get me started about the farmers - those poor chappies are on call 24/7 as are vets, doctors etc etc :D