PDA

View Full Version : AVG?

drinkfeckarse
07/12/2009, 9:25 AM
Hi guys, does anyone know much about this anti-virus software or if it's worth having? Not going to renew my Norton as wasn't that impressed and someone mentioned that some of the free downloads like AVG can be really good...your opinions/recommendations would be appreciated :)

osarusan
07/12/2009, 9:42 AM
Highly recommend AVG or AVAST.

Mr A
07/12/2009, 10:10 AM
I recently upgraded AVG on my XP laptop at home to version 9.0 and it was a disaster. Absolutely wrecked the machines performance. I did a bit of research on it and discovered that this had happened to quite a few people. Previously I was a big fan of AVG but this version is woeful.

I put on Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/) instead and it seems very lightweight and effective so far.

Just to add- I had no such issues with my Vista desktop, which is still on AVG and seems grand.

dahamsta
07/12/2009, 10:11 AM
Don't use anti-virus myself but I generally recommend Avast, it's the same as the rest in terms of functionality but it's the least invasive on the system and it can be configured to be the least intrusive.

OneRedArmy
07/12/2009, 10:31 AM
Don't use anti-virus myselfIs that because you don't use Windows or do you compensate by locking down your network etc.? Are we missing something feeling that we need anti-virus?

My main computer is a Mac and I'm happy enough having nothing on it, but I put AVG on my netbook running XP. General consensus seems to be that it is moving from being a relatively light option to being a bit of a resource hog in version 9 (even if you turn off link scanning which slows web surfing down to a crawl). I was thinking of trying Avast at some stage.

dahamsta
07/12/2009, 11:04 AM
Just arrogant I guess. Knowledge is power when it comes to getting infected, and working with the web, the net and systems day to day makes me pretty clued-in. I also like to run my desktop lean, and running antivirus is pretty much the opposite of that. Which isn't to say I haven't been infected - I think it's happened twice in fact - but I back up and reinstall regularly anyway, so it doesn't bother me if something goes wrong.

John83
07/12/2009, 1:33 PM
AVG used to be great, but has become a bit more annoying in terms of "upgrade to our pro edition" crap, more of a resource hog, and a bit holier (in the sense of socks, not nuns).

Avira AntiVir Personal Edition has a fairly good reputation at the moment.

drinkfeckarse
07/12/2009, 1:55 PM
Just downloaded Avast so will see how that goes. Thanks for all the help lads.

paul_oshea
07/12/2009, 6:49 PM
I used avg and it was a nightmare starting up my pc, also when developing/running in the background it would seriously eat system resources. Using net stop helped but then you defeat the purpose of having it on.

don ramo
07/12/2009, 7:07 PM
wanna stop viruses get no script, blocks all the bad stuff form poping up, all that fancy flash stuff is probably the worse for viruses, you can set the no script to allow your regular trusted sites, or partial parts of sites you use, blocks all thise pesky google adds to, and those annoying sites where adds pop up taking up the whole screen while you lookin around,

its a plug-in or add-on feature on browsers,