PDA

View Full Version : WSC: Hat tip to Pineapple Stu

MariborKev
05/12/2009, 9:35 PM
Pineapple Stu has a letter in this month's edition pointing out some flaws in a previous article on the League.

A mad Derry fan is regular freelancer as well(as anyone who gets the Weekly Howl may have spotted)

oriel
05/12/2009, 11:08 PM
I get the magazine each month by post, also get the weekly howl but as its sent on fri lunchtime, rarley get the chance to read it in full. Noticed an arcticle on a retro Cork Hibs red/green club badge last week.

Suggest others on here read it, great mag and fills in for the 3-4 mth LOI gap

Straightstory
06/12/2009, 12:49 PM
Have been buying WSC a lot in recent times after not seeing for a long time. Forgot how good it was/is. An excellent magazine - with the noble belief that football is as much about small clubs (and their fans) as big clubs.

paudie
06/12/2009, 1:12 PM
great magazine.
Antidote to media hype about Premiership. I'd highly recommend it

sligoman
06/12/2009, 1:25 PM
Does this magazine be available in shops in Ireland or is it just by subscription?

red bellied
06/12/2009, 1:34 PM
Does this magazine be available in shops in Ireland or is it just by subscription?

I used to get it fairly regular but this is going back a few years. Brodericks or the Bus Stop would be your best bet.

thischarmingman
06/12/2009, 1:52 PM

Yeah I get it sometimes in Easons. It's annoyingly expensive though at around €4.60, especially when you can get a years subscription in the UK for £13 or so I think.

Longfordian
06/12/2009, 3:54 PM
Doesn't sound like Pineapple Stu, pointing out flaws in the article. dcfcsteve is probably writing in in response as we speak :) .

pineapple stu
06/12/2009, 5:21 PM
There were three letters from Ireland that issue too.

You can get it in Eason's usually, but it's handiest to subscribe. Excellent read, except when people from Scotland write nonsense articles on how their league should follow Ireland, go to summer soccer and sit back and reap the rewards. :p

Macy
07/12/2009, 11:02 AM
It's an ok mag, but I'm still a bit bias against it given it's past, hypocritical, treatment of Red Issue (That's going back so long that it makes me feel ancient though :eek:).

Straightstory
07/12/2009, 11:26 AM
Red Issue? What was that about?

Straightstory
07/12/2009, 11:30 AM
There were three letters from Ireland that issue too.

You can get it in Eason's usually, but it's handiest to subscribe. Excellent read, except when people from Scotland write nonsense articles on how their league should follow Ireland, go to summer soccer and sit back and reap the rewards. :p

Can't see why it's that unreasonable. Scottish winters particularly harsh, and their clubs have been doing remarkably poorly in Europe. Not saying they should definitely do it - but worth debating.

Acornvilla
07/12/2009, 11:53 AM
If i owned a hat i'd tip it

Macy
07/12/2009, 12:30 PM
Red Issue? What was that about?
The United Fanzine. They wouldn't list it in the fanzine list because of the content, at the same time as listing others (for example Leeds, Bolton ones) that carried supposedly humourous stuff about the Munich air disaster. The Whinging Scouse Clan is what it was known as.

Mad Moose
08/12/2009, 10:09 AM
Is there a website linked to the mag.If its a 13 pound subscription annual sub i'd give it a whirl.

Straightstory
08/12/2009, 10:12 AM
www.wsc.co.uk

HarpoJoyce
08/12/2009, 12:14 PM
The United Fanzine. They wouldn't list it in the fanzine list because of the content, at the same time as listing others (for example Leeds, Bolton ones) that carried supposedly humourous stuff about the Munich air disaster. The Whinging Scouse Clan is what it was known as.

You may remember the When Saturday Comes dilemma over going commercial, when they brought in advertising. It was around the same time they moved to the 'Peartree' address.

Also, was Liverpool FC's 'When Sunday Comes' fanzine named in honour of it and the fact Liverpool played alot (I mean alot) of TV matches on a Sunday?

Saw one of the editors of 'Saturday on a TV news item either 'Introduction of Taylor Report' or 'Return of Football to Europe/Potential for Hooliganism'....... crikey, not very flattering.

pineapple stu
10/12/2009, 10:34 AM
Can't see why it's that unreasonable. Scottish winters particularly harsh, and their clubs have been doing remarkably poorly in Europe. Not saying they should definitely do it - but worth debating.
You'd have to read the article obviously.

It pointed out how, immediately after adopting summer soccer, we started to do well in Europe (not true; we started to do well before summer soccer), how the league was now flourishing (not true, unless you count the flourishing financial crises), how players were now moving over to the Premiership because of summer soccer (not true; it's happened many times before) and how attendances were up in the 2006/07 season (which is just funny).

Yes, it's worth debating, but listing off the positives in the LoI without looking at the real reasons that caused them isn't the way to go about it.

pineapple stu
15/12/2009, 2:12 PM
My letter must have prompted them - there's a full page article summing up the league's woes in this issue. Good article, although it lets the FAI off a little lightly, I think.

Other articles on Rivalo in Uzbekistan and Titov in Kazakhstan, French reaction to the handball, the 1979/80 Division Three, Darius Vassell in Turkey, Southampton v Brighton and other stuff, for anyone still pondering a subscription.

bennocelt
15/12/2009, 3:34 PM
Any link to your article Pin Stu?

pineapple stu
15/12/2009, 3:44 PM
Not my article; just a letter in the letters page. Tis summarised in my post above.

Don't think they put articles from the magazine online, so if you want to read the LoI one, you'd have to buy a copy. Sorry!