PDA

View Full Version : New Galway United Manager

Pages : [1] 2

GUFCghost
05/12/2009, 1:05 PM
With Ian Foster gone to Dundalk,who's gonna take over?
Are best option is probably Johnny Glynn who is the Mervue manager now.

brianw82
05/12/2009, 1:06 PM
Great tags.

GUFCghost
05/12/2009, 1:07 PM
Great tags.

Did I have to put em on?

rambler14
05/12/2009, 2:09 PM
I want another job so i've applied for the Galway gig!

Sam_Heggy
05/12/2009, 5:37 PM
Paul Hegarty

Paddyfield
05/12/2009, 6:39 PM
Billy Clery is rumoured to be number one choice.

CF1989
05/12/2009, 6:45 PM
heard don o'riordan is being interviewed on monday

happydays97
05/12/2009, 7:03 PM
Jeff Kenna :D

GUFCghost
05/12/2009, 7:28 PM

Never heard of him.

gufcfan
05/12/2009, 7:41 PM
Never heard of him.

The funniest thing about that comment is that he is being sincere.

geezer
05/12/2009, 9:52 PM
I think Lal could make a comeback and be successfull second time around similiar to his playing career

SligoBrewer
05/12/2009, 10:01 PM
I hear Rob McDonald is going to be approached by Leeson soon enough.

Terry
06/12/2009, 10:08 AM

wouldnt mind seeing him back, did a great job when last here. His career did take a nosedive after leaving !!!!! :)

pixiehead
06/12/2009, 11:17 AM
Foster and his brand of football are irreplaceable. He worked wonders with very little. But you cant blame himfor going. I for one will clap him when he returns to Terryland!

Claret Murph
06/12/2009, 11:58 AM
Foster and his brand of football are irreplaceable. He worked wonders with very little. But you cant blame himfor going. I for one will clap him when he returns to Terryland!

Yep in am in the same boat as you Pixie .

Ezeikial
06/12/2009, 12:19 PM

Foster leaving is probably in the best short-term interests of Galway. I read somewhere in the last few days (Galway Bay FM maybe? - anyone got a link?) that the 2010 budget was going to be anywhere from €0 to something like €175k.

The cost of Fosters contract (salary, car, fuel, house etc) must have been in the region of €60k-€80k, and even if this was sustainable for Galway next season, in the circumstances getting in a low cost local manager probably makes most sense

Mayo Red
06/12/2009, 4:11 PM
What would ye think about Alan Gough for the job?

gufc2000
06/12/2009, 4:16 PM
I wouldn't. Couldn't hack it at Longford (no disrespect intended towards Longford). From what I heard, he wasn't well like down there.

Longfordian
06/12/2009, 4:28 PM
Don't know the full ins and outs of his time in charge but he didn't cover himself in glory anyhow. Things looked an awful lot better once Cronin took over.

Martinho II
06/12/2009, 5:50 PM

I raised this point in a similiar thread to this.He wouldnt be popular to say the least! he would probably call for my head too after the goings on in flansiro..

Acornvilla
06/12/2009, 5:52 PM
he cant be trusted if he doesnt love marty! :)

Patrick Dunne
06/12/2009, 5:54 PM

We had a higher budget than two teams in the division, Bray and Drogheda. We finished above those teams. Hardly a miracle !

sligoman
06/12/2009, 7:00 PM
So when Kenna left it was Foster that did all the good work and now Foster's gone, he didn't really do a good job at all:).

osarusan
07/12/2009, 9:41 AM
So when Kenna left it was Foster that did all the good work and now Foster's gone, he didn't really do a good job at all:).Exactly what I was thinking too.

Terry
07/12/2009, 5:23 PM
So when Kenna left it was Foster that did all the good work and now Foster's gone, he didn't really do a good job at all:).

correct.

CF1989
07/12/2009, 5:35 PM
im in college in galway, seen don o'riordan in town

Sam_Heggy
07/12/2009, 6:10 PM

Mick Hucknall was in Letterkenny the other day, word is he is taking over at Letterkenny Rovers. Chris De Margary was with him so it's rumoured he will be assistant.
It was music to their fans ears, which in all honesty were "Simply Red" from the cold.

SkStu
07/12/2009, 6:23 PM
Mick Hucknall was in Letterkenny the other day, word is he is taking over at Letterkenny Rovers. Chris De Margary was with him so it's rumoured he will be assistant.
It was music to their fans ears, which in all honesty were "Simply Red" from the cold.

he was going to sign for Derry but he heard that moneys too tight to mention up there.

Patrick Dunne
07/12/2009, 7:40 PM

Complete rubbish.

No one from Sligo would have anywhere near the points required to get in to any of the Galway centres of learning.

Longfordian
07/12/2009, 7:46 PM
Don and Billy Clery and Eric Lavine & Co. used to kick myself and my mates off the pitches in Dangan back in the day. Sound enough fella used to always have a "howye lads" before he'd be kicking us off. I remember when Stephen Kenny left LTFC we approached Galway about speaking to him but were refused permission to talk to him and we left it at that. Martin Lawlor took over, those were the days.

Paddyfield
07/12/2009, 8:32 PM
I spoke with a journalist from a local paper today. He rang a few local contenders for the job who all said that they would not be applying for the job..... Billy Clery, Stephen Lally, Johnny Glynn and Mark Herrick.

Paul McGee said that he is interested in the job.

Tony Mannion didn't answer is phone.

Full story should be up on www.galwaynews.ie soon.

Paddyfield
07/12/2009, 8:34 PM

I take it that you are not studying English?

DRDoc
07/12/2009, 10:45 PM
I spoke with a journalist from a local paper today. He rang a few local contenders for the job who all said that they would not be applying for the job..... Billy Clery, Stephen Lally, Johnny Glynn and Mark Herrick.

Paul McGee said that he is interested in the job.

Tony Mannion didn't answer is phone.

Full story should be up on www.galwaynews.ie soon.

TM has a full time job that would prevent him from being involved with a club

Redkenrover
07/12/2009, 10:53 PM
On a slightly related matter, what is the feeling of GUFC supporters regarding the contribution of Nick Leeson to the club. What I'm getting at is can clubs afford the luxury of a paid official at a time when playing staff budgets are being cut. Is he more important than an extra player?
I'm not being smart but this is a genuine question, as this topic came up in conversation with a GUFC fan the other day when discussing next season.

CF1989
07/12/2009, 11:05 PM

Why's that?

Guitd
07/12/2009, 11:29 PM
On a slightly related matter, what is the feeling of GUFC supporters regarding the contribution of Nick Leeson to the club. What I'm getting at is can clubs afford the luxury of a paid official at a time when playing staff budgets are being cut. Is he more important than an extra player?
I'm not being smart but this is a genuine question, as this topic came up in conversation with a GUFC fan the other day when discussing next season.

hasnt been a paid offical for a long time now and in fact has put money in to keep the club going in the last few months as some directors also have done

redtildead
07/12/2009, 11:48 PM
Complete rubbish.

No one from Sligo would have anywhere near the points required to get in to any of the Galway centres of learning.

As proud Sligo native and a student at NUI Galway I take offence to that comment. I do believe that while on my way to college at approximately 08.50 on a Wednesday morning early in November, I passed your good self as you attempted to cross the Thomas Hynes Road near the college. The state of the head on ya.

SligoBrewer
08/12/2009, 12:15 AM
Complete rubbish.

And it was said that people in Trinity were up their own holes.

CF1989
08/12/2009, 12:28 AM
As proud Sligo native and a student at NUI Galway I take offence to that comment. I do believe that while on my way to college at approximately 08.50 on a Wednesday morning early in November, I passed your good self as you attempted to cross the Thomas Hynes Road near the college. The state of the head on ya.

go on soj!! you also abused him in the four lights oine night! i question the parents

SligoBrewer
08/12/2009, 12:30 AM
Probably cause they are:)

Accurate enough reflection tbh.

Paddyfield
08/12/2009, 2:55 AM

Why's that?

Go figure.

Mr A
08/12/2009, 8:57 AM

Without commenting directly on Leeson, I think in general that it's well worth investing in having your club run properly rather than 'an extra player'. The tendency to throw every available penny at the team is the main reason the league is in the state it is. If more clubs spent a few quid on getting things right off the field they'd be in a lot better shape.

gufc2000
08/12/2009, 9:01 AM
Galway Bay FM sports news says that Paul McGee and Tom French are the front runners for the job

Dillonman
08/12/2009, 10:18 AM
Galway Bay FM sports news says that Paul McGee and Tom French are the front runners for the job

Was he your assistant this year?

Paddyfield
08/12/2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.galwaynews.ie/10058-search-begins-another-manager

Search begins for another manager

December 8, 2009 - 9:21am
Players reveal Foster had 'lost' dressing-room
GALWAY United have started the process of appointing a new manager following the shock departure of Ian Foster late on Friday, with the club advertising the position on its website last night.

The Terryland Park-based outfit are in the hunt for their fifth manager in just 20 months after Foster walked out on the remainder of his contract on Friday to take the reins at Dundalk, saying the fact he was owed money by United allowed him to speak to the Oriel Park club, despite United refusing him permission to do so.

Speaking to Sentinel Sport from England yesterday, Foster insisted he was well within his rights to speak to Dundalk as a portion of his wages from United was outstanding, which he claimed was a fundamental breach of his contract, and he believes United do not have a leg to stand on should they pursue either him, Dundalk, or both, with a compensation claim.

“I got advice from the FAI and from the League Managers’ Association [in England]that I was within my rights to speak to whoever I wanted as I was owed money by United. Look, I don’t want to dig out anyone at the club, but I was owed money and I couldn’t get any assurances from the club so I had to make the decision that was right for me,” Foster said yesterday.

“I left on amicable terms, I am genuinely disappointed to be leaving Galway as I really enjoyed my time there and I worked with a very good bunch of lads, but I couldn’t get assurances on my own wages, never mind on a budget for next season.

“Portia [Foster’s wife] is expecting our first child in February, and I needed assurances on wages. She is coming over with me in January, we would have settled in Galway as she really liked it there any time she was over, but I will have a family to think of in February and I needed assurances on wages, which I didn’t get. Another club put an offer on the table and I thought it best I took it,” he said.

United CEO Nick Leeson admitted to Sentinel Sport yesterday that Foster – who had another year to run on his contract – was owed money by the club, but he insisted it was “an exceptionally small fraction of the €100,000 he would have got from the club in the past two years”.

“Ian Foster is Friday’s news – today is Monday, I’ve forgotten about him already. The question surrounding him being owed money and that being a breach of his contract is a legal issue, and I don’t want to get in to it, but we will be issuing a compensation claim against Dundalk,” Leeson said yesterday.

Leeson said the club would cast the net far and wide in the search for a new manager, and insisted there would be no “pre-judgements” made about any candidate. Potential candidates will undergo an “intensive interview process”, he said, and while he wouldn’t be drawn on any favourite for the job, one gets the sense from what he says that the club may opt for someone already based in Galway.

“We will advertise locally, nationally, and internationally, and we don’t have someone in mind. I am not going to say we want someone local, but one aspect of the job is that we need better integration with the local league, something we have not had with the last two managers [Foster and Jeff Kenna] for one reason or another,” he said yesterday.

A number of local names have been mentioned since Friday, but the majority of those contacted by Sentinel Sport yesterday ruled themselves out of the equation, including Stephen Lally, Derek Rogers, Johnny Glynn, Mark Herrick and Jim Noone.

Tony Mannion – who has had three previous spells as manager at United, and would be a popular choice with many fans – was uncontactable as he was travelling to Holland in his role as Coach Educator with the FAI, but it is understood he would be unable to comment owing to his role with the FAI.

Two people have confirmed to Sentinel Sport their interest in the job. Tom French, who was Foster’s assistant manager last season, and has also worked at the club in the role of trainer, said he will be throwing his hat into the ring, as will former United manager Paul ‘Ski’ McGee.

• United in crisis again – see page 30.

Paddyfield
08/12/2009, 10:27 AM
Was he your assistant this year?

Yes. He was also assistant to Tony Cousins. Interestingly, Foster was not Kenna's assistant; he was in fact the club physio when Kenna was boss.

AFAIK, Billy Clery was Kenna's assistant.

Dillonman
08/12/2009, 11:05 AM
Whats the whole thing there about "Players reveal FOster had lost dressing room"??

Mr A
08/12/2009, 11:20 AM
Whats the whole thing there about "Players reveal FOster had lost dressing room"??

The full article reveals that he later found it down the back of his sofa.

gufc2000
08/12/2009, 11:24 AM
Yes. He was also assistant to Tony Cousins. Interestingly, Foster was not Kenna's assistant; he was in fact the club physio when Kenna was boss.

AFAIK, Billy Clery was Kenna's assistant.
No Foster was assistant to Jeff. Billy was caretaker after Cousins left

Terry
08/12/2009, 2:41 PM
No Foster was assistant to Jeff. Billy was caretaker after Cousins left

No, billy was the original assistant (albeit on a temp. basis) until foster arrived half way through the season.

Galway Bay FM reported that there are so far 20 applicants for the position, with 7 of those being from former Premier league managers.