PDA

View Full Version : mns format?

blackholesun
04/12/2009, 12:39 PM
From http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/numbers-dont-add-up-1964132.html

"while the feedback on communications concludes with a wishlist that may be slightly unrealistic; particularly with respect to the weekly 'Monday Night Soccer' highlights show produced by RTE.

In addition to seeking greater coverage of the First Division on the show, it is suggested that "producers of MNS should be advised that the more 'gimmicky' segments of the programme are a source of some resentment when profiles of clubs, managers and players might serve better the promotional needs of the game."

I am sure most of us hardcore LOI fans enjoy the studio format and enjoying listening to the pundits given their opinions, but I wonder what do non-LOI people make of it? Does the format put them off a bit?

I wonder would a format like that of the Champions league show with more interviews with players and managers and no studio work better for neutrals?

bhs

gustavo
04/12/2009, 12:44 PM
A little less conversation,A little more action please

dfx-
04/12/2009, 12:46 PM
Interviews with players and managers are usually turgid and cliché ridden..

I think Rovers need more exposure on the show. Maybe have a Rovers guest on the panel a week or something

peadar1987
04/12/2009, 1:00 PM

I think Rovers need more exposure on the show. Maybe have a Rovers guest on the panel a week or something

You already have a Rovers host on the panel every week!

marinobohs
04/12/2009, 1:08 PM

..... seeking yet another handout !!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

marinobohs
04/12/2009, 1:11 PM

Agreed, more football would be a start. Instead of the gimmicks perhaps a 5 minute profile of a club (different one each week not SRFC every week :D) might be a help - introduce any new fans to a club or identify a club near them. Not going to solve any LOI problems but every little helps. I am sure each club could produce a 5 minute info note for them.

Macy
04/12/2009, 1:20 PM
Sums it up really. More action, less rubbish talking. Drop one of the stupid gimmicks to at least mention the first. I don't think it's unreasonable to have one game a week from the first, particularly top of the table clashes and at the business end of the season.

It's a fairly damning indictment that many LoI fans don't go out of their way to watch it, if part of it's role is supposed to be promoting the league to people not currently interested.

bennocelt
04/12/2009, 1:34 PM
Agreed, more football would be a start. Instead of the gimmicks perhaps a 5 minute profile of a club (different one each week not SRFC every week :D) might be a help - introduce any new fans to a club or identify a club near them. Not going to solve any LOI problems but every little helps. I am sure each club could produce a 5 minute info note for them.

Have to say I am missing MNS already, its about the only thing I look at on RTE/FF.
I agree with this. Wouldn't be cool to follow a set of different fans every week - before and after the game, their views on their club, why they support them, etc

the-blue-harp
04/12/2009, 1:52 PM
i have to say that i lost interest in mns after a few weeks, largely because Finn Harps are not involved.

i dont like the way the match highlights are produced with music over the top of them.
Another thing I found was that because these teams are all playing each other so much its just boring with the ten team league.
I also think they chat an awful load of ****e.

but the sentiments of the program are good and it has come an awful long way from what we had in the past. So all in all its a step in the right direction. Hopefully they re-format it for next year though to see if they can get the right balance.

HammerNThongs
04/12/2009, 1:55 PM
Get rid of Roddy.

Get rid of at least 1 gimmick. There is no need for that singing thing and Thunderstruck style games. Keep Good, Bad and Ugly though.

One solid reel with all the First Division goals to replace the gimmick that gets binned.

Dont really want anymore interviews unless they are with Cookey and Gormley who interview very well and honestly while the rest is cliched garbage but I feel still needs to be done, particularly the playerscope.

Mr A
04/12/2009, 2:00 PM
Even one D1 game per week would encourage a lot of fans of D1 clubs to tune in. At the moment I wouldn't be bothered with it most of the time.

SkStu
04/12/2009, 2:00 PM
Have to say I am missing MNS already, its about the only thing I look at on RTE/FF.
I agree with this. Wouldn't be cool to follow a set of different fans every week - before and after the game, their views on their club, why they support them, etc

i think that would be a super idea - a bit like soccer am back in the day but less "laddish" hopefully....

centre mid
04/12/2009, 2:21 PM
I think that MNS should concentrate only on the first division from this season on.

HammerNThongs
04/12/2009, 2:31 PM
I think that MNS should concentrate only on the first division from this season on.

Why? When we get demoted, you'll be back up surely!

dfx-
04/12/2009, 3:23 PM
..... seeking yet another handout !!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Worst boycott ever!!!!

SligoBrewer
04/12/2009, 3:24 PM
Worst boycott ever!!!!

The irony.

Fingal Fan
04/12/2009, 3:48 PM
MNS has been great for promoting the game . To improve matters I suggest.
1. Get rid of all the gimmicks
2. The panellists are all LOI insiders protecting a cosy club . A lot more controverial analysis would help . While Roddy was often off the wall he wasnt afraid to speak his mind .
3. Too Premier focussed . As others have suggested some coverage of the 1st Division .
4. Rather then just focussing on the games some analysis of were the LOI is going .

GUFCghost
04/12/2009, 5:44 PM

eeeeeeeggggggggggggoooooooooooooooo

weecountyman
04/12/2009, 5:46 PM
I have to say I've generally enjoyed MNS and though I usually get to see it online mostly, it is something to stay in touch with.

I agree that the gimmicky nonsense has to be removed, it's not sky, it's not pandering to mindless marketed bodies, the people who will be the biggest viewers know the LOI for better or worse and just want to see their club have a few minutes on tv and to laugh/cheer/gripe etc.

There needs to be 3-4 minutes of highlights of the 1st Division, goals only perhaps.

As already mentioned a behind the scenes at each club per week would help/shock/embarass/uplift/scare (delete where applicable), 5 minutes would be enough.

The panellists could be supplemented more regularly with journalists who cover the league, as well as get one or two of the International sides coaching staff involved - at least for face value.

Host a vox pop at a ground a week - this could replace Roddy in an instant, if he's brought back in at all, and most important of all you could get genuine comment on league matters (I cringe when I think of the drivel trotted out by RTE before the first frog match (I think) when Derry went.

More than anything we need a Friday night game every week and the odd Sunday game to fit in with the GAA schedule in the summer.

forza rovers
04/12/2009, 7:32 PM
more action a presenter who is not bias and if it has nothing to do with shams is not interested.Tony o d would be a better host imo

dcfc1928
04/12/2009, 9:08 PM
In my humble opinion MNS needs to ignore the premier division and focus entirely on the first division in 2010. :p

CuanaD
04/12/2009, 9:11 PM
I generally like the MNS format - I like the mix of fun & serious, football & discussion.

I would waste less time though.
The intros are all too long - its normally quite a few minutes in before you get to the first game. We do not need introductions to the panel - the (often amusing) captions are plenty. We also don't need to know the commentators names - saves another few seconds to show more football.

Use the extra time to show more build-up play in the matches - to try to give more flavour of the flow of the game.

Also, the idea that each week you focus on one club is a good idea - a short magazine slot about the club's build up flowing into their home game - one each week, so each team gets focused on 3 times a season. MNS have done a couple such segments & they have been good.

The analysis is always good - I like the differences between all the pundits, but visually, i'd like to see more game clips being shown during the analysis.

fionnsci
04/12/2009, 9:28 PM
There was a good report made during the 2008 season when the reporter travelled to the Cork-Cobh derby with the fans. More of the same. Maybe a bit of fan interaction from before/after the game.

No music during the highlights, lose thunderstruck and karioke, bring back 60. And of course, a bit less talk.

Mr A
04/12/2009, 9:37 PM
Going against the grain here but balls to doing features on fans.

Maybe the odd time before a derby or some such but in general it'd be likely to be cringey and crap.

Riddickcule
04/12/2009, 11:14 PM
Well i guess i'll throw mine in there...

1.Why does the EPL highlights show get a better studio than our own league? It's ridiculous.The same studio Engerlish football gets is what MNS should get.

2.Too many pundits, it should always be 3, one main chap and the 2 gobsheens.Like in MoTD and PSS.

3.They should dress more classy, like they do for Engerlish games.

4.Stop playing the music during games, it's very annoying imo, improve the acoustics so the small crowd sounds louder.

5.Stop all the gimmick stuff, you know all of them they've already been listed.

6.Have more topical discussions like AIL, Stadium Development, Community things etc.

VinnyDCFC
04/12/2009, 11:17 PM
In my humble opinion MNS needs to ignore the premier division and focus entirely on the first division in 2010. :p

I agree, the lack of First Division coverage was shocking last season, there should be loads of time given to the First Division in 2010 on MNS

;)

Dodge
05/12/2009, 12:02 AM
They should stop trying to conform to ideads posted on internet forums

Dress classy indeed

SkStu
05/12/2009, 12:36 AM
They should stop trying to conform to ideads posted on internet forums

Dress classy indeed

why not Dodge? They could even get Osam on board... classy indeed.

http://www.cultureshockonline.com/i/Mens%20Suits/09-4207v_-_Men_s_Suit.jpg

CF1989
05/12/2009, 12:43 AM
get a fan from each club in every week. sky sports done this a few years ago with monday night football. so ten fans,one from each club in. and talk to them alon with the panel

also, could easily show the goals from the FD.

mypost
05/12/2009, 1:04 AM
MNS has been great for promoting the game

Too Premier focussed . As others have suggested some coverage of the 1st Division .
Rather then just focussing on the games some analysis of were the LOI is going .

BBC show 90 league clubs games on a Saturday night. RTE show 10 three days after they're played. :rolleyes:

The good, bad, and ugly segment is a rip off from MOTD2, only less amusing.

Too much analysis, too many interviews, not enough football, the whole point of the show. Gave up on it after a couple of weeks.

A face
08/12/2009, 5:37 PM
BBC show 90 league clubs games on a Saturday night. RTE show 10 three days after they're played. :rolleyes:

You may have a point there, but there are only 2-3 cameras at most games so its always gonna be harder.

The good, bad, and ugly segment is a rip off from MOTD2, only less amusing.

I dont care, its a good segment. I dont want it to go, who cares what MOTD2 are doing, sod them.

Too much analysis It needs to have footage being played during commentary.
too many interviews Not that much, players and managers is what the game is all about. We need to hear what they are saying
not enough football, the whole point of the show. Gave up on it after a couple of weeks.

Playing so footage while giving commentary would sort that out.

saintmaniac
09/12/2009, 2:04 PM
Thunderstrike has never been interesting - get rid of it! I don't know why anyone tuning in would want to watch it. The Karaoke King thing is a bit of a laugh although admittedly a waste of broadcast time.

There should be a fans' segment on the show. I swear, according to MNS, you'd be hard-pushed to recognise the existence of any fans in the League at all. Either a vox pop at the ground like someone said, or bring them into the studio. They can't be more offensive than Roddy...

WoodquayBoy
09/12/2009, 3:02 PM
Didn't Tony O'Donoghue travel around the country on a club focus thing last year? I agree, feature a set of fans from every club once a week, Premier and First.
First Division is shamefully neglected, the LEAST they could do is send cameras to the game with top billing every week, though I think they should arrange someone with a camera and a steady hand to film footage at all games and send it in to be edited into a goals highlights package.
Keept GoodBadUgly buy dump the stuff like thundersh*te and KaraokeCringe.
I would have said keep Collins as he at least speaks his mind, but when his mind comes up with stuff like what he said about Paul Cook, then maybe not.
No offence to Sean Prunty, he is porbably a lovely fella, but he offers nothing in terms of analysis, and the same could be said of Morley.
I enjoyed Eoin Hand's insights when he appeared, why not bring in LOI journos like Daniel McDonnell, Paul Lennon, Sean Ryan, Paul O'Hehir, doubt they have agendas and would provide a nice balance - again, they did it last year, can't remeber if it worked

Redie
09/12/2009, 3:56 PM
Up the action and reduce the chat a bit but include replays during the chat.
Keep good, bad, ugly or something like it - it breaks up the show and is a bit of craic.
Keep all the fanzone stuff for the same reason.
More features like the recent one done on Longford in the cup/Dermot O'Neill.
Got to bring the first division more into the programme.
More focus on the positive aspects of the league.
Try to position cameras in the best location in the ground to fully reflect attendances - i.e. opposite main stands instead of in them, even if this means cameramen getting wet.

sligofan4ever
09/12/2009, 5:08 PM
Before matches, they could talk to fans on the way in, give match predictions,toughts on the league,toughts on their team etc... for 5 matches, it would roughly take up the same amount of time as Kareoke King and Thunderstrike combined.

mr.untitled
09/12/2009, 5:41 PM
MNS already has all the LoI fans tuning in, much like the league, It needs to attract new viewers. One way of doing this may be to include more Irish related features. Perhaps have a camera following Coleman on a week to week basis at Everton or Fahey at Birmingham.
There could be features on LoI connections to MUFC or Liverpool. Maybee have the panel discuss Ireland matches after they happen. Try to create more links between MNS, the Premiership show, CL shows and International coverage. Stick Dunphy or Giles on as guest panelists. these, or ideas like them, while not popular with alot of LoI fans, may attract new non LoI fans and would go along way toward breaking down the us and them attitude among the Irish football supporting public.

sligofan4ever
09/12/2009, 5:48 PM
MNS already has all the LoI fans tuning in, much like the league, It needs to attract new viewers. One way of doing this may be to include more Irish related features. Perhaps have a camera following Coleman on a week to week basis at Everton or Fahey at Birmingham.
There could be features on LoI connections to MUFC or Liverpool. Maybee have the panel discuss Ireland matches after they happen. Try to create more links between MNS, the Premiership show, CL shows and International coverage. Stick Dunphy or Giles on as guest panelists. these, or ideas like them, while not popular with alot of LoI fans, may attract new non LoI fans and would go along way toward breaking down the us and them attitude among the Irish football supporting public.

Sure they do that on MNS anyways, they had about a 15 minute or so discussion about Henry's handball,the Italy game, and nearly all the qualifiers.